Sword/axe or Greatsword?

Sword/axe or Greatsword?

in Ranger

Posted by: Troll.4237

Troll.4237

Which is better for a glasscannon power ranger roaming WvW?

Sword/axe or Greatsword?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Sword/axe or Greatsword?

in Ranger

Posted by: Troll.4237

Troll.4237

I do not want to give up longbow because its fun to kill a glasscannon at range with 5-6 hits.

Sword/axe or Greatsword?

in Ranger

Posted by: Arkus.2814

Arkus.2814

For roaming it depends how good you are with the 1h sword leap to disengage from a fight if yes the Sword would be the best because its a sticky weapon wen engage + the pull on the axe and to disengage the leap wen out numbered.

If the answer is no the Great sword would be the better choice for you but practice with both.

they both have leaps and cripple but its hard to stick to someone with the great Sword.

Roaming is like playing cat and mouse sometimes wen 1v1 and you know your mouse you have to run away good heal up then pounce back.

Sword/axe or Greatsword?

in Ranger

Posted by: Arkus.2814

Arkus.2814

on how to do the sword leap?
OGDeadHead. explain how to do the leap in this link flawlessly but you will some practice.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Main-hand-sword-for-movment/first#post4172872

Sword/axe or Greatsword?

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Sword isn’t a good idea if you’re going glass cannon. The SwordAA roots you down and makes it difficult to dodge. Its generally used in PvE on mobs/boss with obvious patterns and animations, but it won’t work as well when used against a player with less predictable movement.

Contrary to popular belief, Sword#2 leap for traveling is barely faster than running in a straight line, and thats only if you’re very good at it. GS#3 is a much better option.

Offhand axe is no good in roaming. Axe#4 hits like a truck and looks good on paper, but it just doesn’t work that well in combat. That being said, its easier to land than than GS#2.

Axe#5 roots you down so its not something you’d want in a glass cannon. Its not a reliable reflect. you’ll have a better time defending yourself with GS#4.

Conclusion: I’d take the GS

Sword/axe or Greatsword?

in Ranger

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

this is great for lolz and i some times use it for hot join amusement

Sword isn’t a good idea if you’re going glass cannon. The SwordAA roots you down and makes it difficult to dodge. Its generally used in PvE on mobs/boss with obvious patterns and animations, but it won’t work as well when used against a player with less predictable movement.

Contrary to popular belief, Sword#2 leap for traveling is barely faster than running in a straight line, and thats only if you’re very good at it. GS#3 is a much better option.

Offhand axe is no good in roaming. Axe#4 hits like a truck and looks good on paper, but it just doesn’t work that well in combat. That being said, its easier to land than than GS#2.

Axe#5 roots you down so its not something you’d want in a glass cannon. Its not a reliable reflect. you’ll have a better time defending yourself with GS#4.

I’m going to rebuttal some of this as a lot of the short comings can be over come with practice and a bit of thought and I am currently going through the process of getting better and learning the main hand sword.

The sword AA attack root problems can be reduced by turning AA attack off, also you can break out of the attack chain by weapon swap or LR.

For the sword leap, to me it appears faster because I have a ranger friend that I sometimes roam with and he uses S/D and he is faster then me using gs3 untraited on recharge and travelers runes, be it only a little bit.

off hand axe (and gs2 + 5) hit a lot more often if you use MT, dogs or spiders.

I agree with you statement about Axe5 vs gs4 i don’t use it except in zerging and pve.

my conclusion: take the time to get used to both because playing with the exact same build and weapons all the time is boring.

Sword/axe or Greatsword?

in Ranger

kiwituatara.6053

this is great for lolz and i some times use it for hot join amusement

I’m going to rebuttal some of this as a lot of the short comings can be over come with practice and a bit of thought and I am currently going through the process of getting better and learning the main hand sword.

The sword AA attack root problems can be reduced by turning AA attack off, also you can break out of the attack chain by weapon swap or LR.

For the sword leap, to me it appears faster because I have a ranger friend that I sometimes roam with and he uses S/D and he is faster then me using gs3 untraited on recharge and travelers runes, be it only a little bit.

off hand axe (and gs2 + 5) hit a lot more often if you use MT, dogs or spiders.

I agree with you statement about Axe5 vs gs4 i don’t use it except in zerging and pve.

my conclusion: take the time to get used to both because playing with the exact same build and weapons all the time is boring.

AA turned off is always a given. Even with that, OP’ll still have a difficult time with it with a glasscannon build.

Sword#2 is not as fast as you claim it is.

1. The “about face” technique doesn’t work. Reason being that you cannot use it while casting. Meaning you cannot “about face” while doing the first backward jump, you have to take a brief pause after the first jump to “about face” before leaping again. If you have someone running beside you while you’re using this technique, you’ll find that you’re gonna be slower.
2. Rotating camera instead of “about face” is better, but is barely faster than running in a straight line. However, the difference is almost trivial, and if you lag during leaps, you’ll still fall behind.

The only reasons why you’d pick sword#2 over GS#3 are:
1. Evade on Sword#2
2. More gap control in combat
3. Faster at turning corners.

Sword/axe or Greatsword?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The sword leap combo isn’t much faster than someone running with swiftness OOC, but it’s mobility is pretty dramatic when you’re fighting someone.

So you get the best of both worlds. You’re faster than the swifted-zerg OOC once you get the motion down, and you’re way more mobile than the guy you’re 1v1ing (unless he uses his own movement skills, which is of course why fighting people is fun!)

If you’re going to pick one, it’s definitely better to be good at sword. If you’re going to be bad at sword, greatsword is easy to be good at and still a great weapon.

Sword/axe or Greatsword?

in Ranger

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

If you’re going to pick one, it’s definitely better to be good at sword. If you’re going to be bad at sword, greatsword is easy to be good at and still a great weapon.

This is a very good point, coming someone who has used primarily gs as their defensive/gap closing/escaping alternate weapon set for roaming 1.5 years. Getting use to the main hand sword is not that easy where as going the other way would be a lot easier

Sword/axe or Greatsword?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Had to dig a little but found my post with the testing I did a while back on sword jumps relative to just swiftness and swoop:

Ran route from speed buffer at shelter rock to wolf lodge waypoint and back, using same waypoints, using ability when up (and viable), min 3 times each, speed buff itself kept time .. results:

Swiftness only 2:09 avg
Hornet/monach 2:01 avg
Swoop 1:55 avg

So yea.. dont write off sword jumps, it gets you an extra 6-7% speed. May not be as good as swoops extra 11% but I find it very noticeable and useful for catching up to people just running swiftness. If you have a laggy system it will eat any gains however.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

Sword/axe or Greatsword?

in Ranger

kiwituatara.6053

Had to dig a little but found my post with the testing I did a while back on sword jumps relative to just swiftness and swoop:

Ran route from speed buffer at shelter rock to wolf lodge waypoint and back, using same waypoints, using ability when up (and viable), min 3 times each, speed buff itself kept time .. results:

Swiftness only 2:09 avg
Hornet/monach 2:01 avg
Swoop 1:55 avg

So yea.. dont write off sword jumps, it gets you an extra 6-7% speed. May not be as good as swoops extra 11% but I find it very noticeable and useful for catching up to people just running swiftness. If you have a laggy system it will eat any gains however.

Thanks for the numbers. Those are always good to have.

Anyways, kind of off-topic. Sometimes when I GS#3 through my healing spring, the healing combo finisher pops up twice? Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, is it just an animation glitch? Or do you really get double leap heal finishers?

Sword/axe or Greatsword?

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

I’ve gotten the double leap finisher as well. I figured it had something to do with the weird way you will sometimes pause in the middle of swoop and then do a second jump when you are on uneven terrain.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN