Sword+dagger over GS for roaming?

in Ranger

Posted by: Weo weo.6378

Weo weo.6378

Hey community,

Just want to know your opinion on the sword/ X set up on a power build compared to the Greatsword. Outside of the incredible mobility/ dodge which hornet’s sting and monarch’s leap offers, is it worth taking it over the block, daze, and maul which the GS offers?

I’m currently running this build

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATRjEqQLLWyCOsAVLGWEq9yDgjuL3PfE4xNcHgC2UB-TVCFABIcIAA4BAUo6PXpEEJlfCcBAqZ/h00FswRAgUARM0C-w

p.s I know that a condition shortbow build is probably better for solo roaming, but I’m still learning the class

Multiple Class Disorder

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Either.
Gs for easy weapon.
sword,dagger for skilled evades.

I’m using sword,axe myself. That reflect I’d more hilarious then I realized ;-)

in Ranger

Posted by: Chaotic.9742

Chaotic.9742

I run GS/sw+dagger over longbow and don’t regret it. So. Much. Mobility.

in Ranger

Weo weo.6378

Offensive wise, when’s the best time to use the sword autos to close in on someone rather than evade and disengage?

Multiple Class Disorder

in Ranger

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

For roaming they are better used for evading and gaining distance, unless its 1v1 and the opponent is pretty low. The sword auto hit decently hard.

Bad Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

S/D is the easier set, so run that if you need more security or just need a backup weapon to disengage/run away. Against players GS has better damage output and more kill potential.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

in Ranger

Weo weo.6378

Alright then, thanks guys

Multiple Class Disorder

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

GS with remorseless and quickdraw are just too good. Those guaranteed crit +25% damage mauls, not to mention being able to troll the crap out of zergs by picking people off at range and double swooping away when they turn for you.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

Weo weo.6378

GS with remorseless and quickdraw are just too good. Those guaranteed crit +25% damage mauls, not to mention being able to troll the crap out of zergs by picking people off at range and double swooping away when they turn for you.

Ooh, does Remorseless stack with Signet of the hunt?

Multiple Class Disorder

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Ooh, does Remorseless stack with Signet of the hunt?

Sure does.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

GS is good for WvW due to mobility and the easy leap that allows you to troll people.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

Double swoop is just way too good :P

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

It’s down to personal preference, both could work. I use Greatsword mainly for Swoop. It’s just very straightforward to use when travelling, which you’ll be doing a lot in WvW.

You could use sword for travelling as well, but it requires a lot more effort.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

With Quick Draw; Swoop, Counterattack, Swoop is immensely powerful for disengaging. I’ll probably never run S/D again with LB for that reason alone. Plus Intelligence sigil and Maul are pretty great

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

Lots of good rangers roamers prefer S-D over GS, Mike Floryan comes to mind –
https://www.youtube.com/user/kaybosh44/videos

in Ranger

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

If u run longbow, Vs good players SD is better since Gs is easy to read and hard to land. SD also gives u plenty of evades n mobility till Lb wep swap is back. But i tend to go with Gs since Im all bout Skin Wars and its easier to just swoop than to turn around and SD #2

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in Ranger

Posted by: Swiftly.2385

Swiftly.2385

Would love to know what build this guy is running…

in Ranger

Posted by: nakedziggy.3187

nakedziggy.3187

Would love to know what build this guy is running…

me too

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

Something like –
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAT8YjEqQBL2yCWsAXLGIEqdHCgqun3VIF449qjgSGVRA-TVxTwANU+xU9HX6GAs/AHlgkCocRWA-w

90%+ sure about traits.
Not so much regarding gear and food, all i have to go on is his high HP pool.

in Ranger

FrownyClown.8402

Yeah he runs those traits. Pretty sure he runs a bit more toughness in his build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAT8YjEqQBL2yCWsAXLGIEqdHCgqun3VIF449qjgSGVRA-TFyTwAMVbBiSDA7PwRJYDlBTUitUVCX6GCAgAwNH6NH6NvZpAKXkF-w

this would reflect closer to it.

Bad Elementalist

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

Yeah he runs those traits. Pretty sure he runs a bit more toughness in his build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAT8YjEqQBL2yCWsAXLGIEqdHCgqun3VIF449qjgSGVRA-TFyTwAMVbBiSDA7PwRJYDlBTUitUVCX6GCAgAwNH6NH6NvZpAKXkF-w

Cool, +1 / 15 char

in Ranger

Swiftly.2385

Cool, +1 / 15 char

Can one of you guys explain to this Ranger newb what is happening in the video at about 5:05 to 5:12? He gets another skill bar with a single skill on it and then he goes into stealth without using hunters shot?

Thanks.

in Ranger

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

Cool, +1 / 15 char

Can one of you guys explain to this Ranger newb what is happening in the video at about 5:05 to 5:12? He gets another skill bar with a single skill on it and then he goes into stealth without using hunters shot?

Thanks.

At work so I can’t watch the video…might be Harpy Feather?

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

in Ranger

Posted by: jewishjoyride.4693

jewishjoyride.4693

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Forage_

Hard to reliably use the porcine pets vs skilled opponents as you have to stop what you’re doing to pick the item up, then cast it. They offer a TON of utility though. If they ever make porcine f2s work similarly to thief steal you’ll see a ton of rangers run them.

in Ranger

FrownyClown.8402

I think he uses it mostly because it can tank the condi clears, but has a bit more utility than bear.

Bad Elementalist

in Ranger

Swiftly.2385

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Forage_

Hard to reliably use the porcine pets vs skilled opponents as you have to stop what you’re doing to pick the item up, then cast it. They offer a TON of utility though. If they ever make porcine f2s work similarly to thief steal you’ll see a ton of rangers run them.

Ah I see it…thanks. That was throwing me off.

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

If they ever make porcine f2s work similarly to thief steal you’ll see a ton of rangers run them.

This. Have wanted this since the first day I tried those pets…

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

He is using dolyak runes.
Edit: or maybe mango pie? There is non-booned, non TU healing happening even when SotW is down in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97UrtaDzzf4

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

(edited by Raven.9603)

in Ranger

FrownyClown.8402

yeah looking back at the video looks like he is using dolyak

Bad Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: Hepatolith.6389

Hepatolith.6389

yeah looking back at the video looks like he is using dolyak

Nope, no Dolyak rune, almost 100% sure it’s Mango Pie since Dolyak rune is only 44 hp/sec and he regenerates 88 (instead of 85/sec which is caused by the WvW healing Bonus i’d say)

Cayline Oakheart, Ranger – Drakkar Lake
Covenant of Bloodthirst [IvsI],
Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

It honestly depends what you’re better with.

I personally give GS the slight edge in dueling scenarios against most things, but only because smart players will realize you have Sword/Dagger (or whatever) swap set and try to “force” you into it and then reset knowing that all you can really do in that set is evade and autoattack, which can make the build lose a lot of pressure/threat (GS tends to make people feel “unsafe” and waste cooldowns when you swap to GS).

Sword/Dagger on the other hand makes certain matchups infinitely easier. In general, other LB rangers and Shatter mesmers become much more simple because you can use your evades and time them to completely counter their damage, and really anything that has telegraphs or “predictable” sustained damage.

At the end of the day though, the weapons are functionally different enough that I’d have to say that the neither option is more optimal than the other. They both have strengths and weaknesses, and really, whichever set you perform better with and whichever set you feel matches you better is what you should go with.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: Kaybosh.5183

Kaybosh.5183

Heya,Mike Floryan here, i`m happy that you guys like my build :P, i`m looking forward to see where will this topic get.

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

Sorry mike but i think we got ya ; ) Final version. Even if mike MixMax differently, I think it’s about 90%+ his build with gear runes/sigils/food, everything.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAT8YjEqQBL2yCWsAXLGIEqdHCgqun3VIF449qjgSGVRA-TlCFABNcQAA4BAsz+DXpEEJlfCcBAMU9n00BswRAQNNDkCwMRWA-w

in Ranger

Posted by: Kaybosh.5183

Kaybosh.5183

Sorry mike but i think we got ya ; ) Final version. Even if mike MixMax differently, I think it’s about 90%+ his build with gear runes/sigils/food, everything.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAT8YjEqQBL2yCWsAXLGIEqdHCgqun3VIF449qjgSGVRA-TlCFABNcQAA4BAsz+DXpEEJlfCcBAMU9n00BswRAQNNDkCwMRWA-w

Maybe i`ll try this build… to see if it works a little bit like main.

(edited by Kaybosh.5183)

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

^^ +1 /15 char

in Ranger

Puck.9612

I personally give GS the slight edge in dueling scenarios against most things, but only because smart players will realize you have Sword/Dagger (or whatever) swap set and try to “force” you into it and then reset knowing that all you can really do in that set is evade and autoattack, which can make the build lose a lot of pressure/threat (GS tends to make people feel “unsafe” and waste cooldowns when you swap to GS).

Sword/Dagger on the other hand makes certain matchups infinitely easier. In general, other LB rangers and Shatter mesmers become much more simple because you can use your evades and time them to completely counter their damage, and really anything that has telegraphs or “predictable” sustained damage.

At the end of the day though, the weapons are functionally different enough that I’d have to say that the neither option is more optimal than the other. They both have strengths and weaknesses, and really, whichever set you perform better with and whichever set you feel matches you better is what you should go with.

That’s funny, I always found GS to be much stronger against other longbow rangers. The block completely counters their rapid fire and swoop gives you a nice evade and gap closer.

Don’t get me wrong, sword/x definitely works, I just think GS makes the job a little easier.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nicknobreak.7543

Nicknobreak.7543

Greatsword is stupendous. Has a block/retaliate/cripple, stun/daze, on demand leap, big cleave attack, decent AA. Are these moves somewhat predictable? Yeah, but that can be alleviated by using QZ. Can’t dodge attacks with such a short time to react.

in Ranger

FrownyClown.8402

In pvp i run enlargement with Instinctive Reaction and a rage sigil on my sword. I crit for like 1.5k on guardians about 2k or more on thieves. I almost always reach the health threshold with berserker when I switch to sword so it always procs when i need it. I get 6s quickness 25% extra damage and stability. It works great for enemies not expecting to get melted by sword.

Bad Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

That’s funny, I always found GS to be much stronger against other longbow rangers. The block completely counters their rapid fire and swoop gives you a nice evade and gap closer.

Don’t get me wrong, sword/x definitely works, I just think GS makes the job a little easier.

I mean, I personally think that GS is a better weapon for anything other than PvE DPS lol.

I just wanted to list some anecdotes where I’ve seen things work. It’s ultimately up the the user to decide.

Interestingly enough, even though the sword has a learning curve with it’s autoattack, overall, I think that GS has a higher skill ceiling and potential, which makes it ultimately more fun for me personally to use.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: Lettuce.2945

Lettuce.2945

I run s/d and longbow for roaming. Those are my stats. Very strong all around build that has hp, armor, power, crit rate, and crit dmg.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Puck.9612

I run s/d and longbow for roaming. Those are my stats. Very strong all around build that has hp, armor, power, crit rate, and crit dmg.

My stats looked really close to that pre patch but now I’ve traded a good bit of the defensive stats for higher ferocity. I find that everyone is so much more bursty than before and it is a lot easier to completely avoid damage thanks to quickdraw.

in Ranger

nakedziggy.3187

How are your stats so high and well-rounded at the same time?

in Ranger

Puck.9612

WvW stacks, sigil stats, signet of stone, food/utility buffs and mix and matching gear. It’s not that hard.

Here’s pretty similar stats without min/maxing anything http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQFQTCNsAA-TlBEABvpJoJlf5s/AgKBB4IA0o6PkC4ihWA-w

(edited by Puck.9612)

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

I’ve taken to S/A after the patch because Beastly Warden makes Path of Scars reliable (but the same can be said for Maul.) I still prefer Hornet Sting/Monarch Leap for movement on and around the battlefield. The leap portion wins against Swoop hands down for crazy acrobatic maneuvers (even for OOC mountain-goating/parkour.)

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Kehlian.4380

Kehlian.4380

WvW stacks, sigil stats, signet of stone, food/utility buffs and mix and matching gear. It’s not that hard.

Here’s pretty similar stats without min/maxing anything http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQFQTCNsAA-TlBEABvpJoJlf5s/AgKBB4IA0o6PkC4ihWA-w

I think it misses something, there’s almost nothing there.

in Ranger

Lettuce.2945

I just messed around a lot with build editor. Gave myself a baseline stat I wanted to hit on each stat. Then tried to see if I could push it even more. That’s how I developed my build. It’s really an amazing build in wvw. Hope you can figure it out. Try to go off my stats. It’s including wvw stacks, food, etc. No might, no fury though.

in Ranger

nakedziggy.3187

I just messed around a lot with build editor. Gave myself a baseline stat I wanted to hit on each stat. Then tried to see if I could push it even more. That’s how I developed my build. It’s really an amazing build in wvw. Hope you can figure it out. Try to go off my stats. It’s including wvw stacks, food, etc. No might, no fury though.

Ascended gear, or exotic?

in Ranger

Posted by: FunSeeker.4815

FunSeeker.4815

nices stats. I may mess around a little bit with build editor too

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Surely you must be having some extra buffs running like 25 stacks of bloodlust, full guard stacks and food. Unfortunately your screenshot covers it up.

edit: Oh sorry, you already said it has these things

(edited by Holland.9351)

in Ranger

Lettuce.2945

Ascended gear, or exotic?

Full ascended.