Sword vs Greatsword

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: megaboy.6015

megaboy.6015

Q:

Which weapon deal more damage using the first skill (1)?

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: Sable Shrike.7823

Sable Shrike.7823

A:

Versus one target: Sword.

Versus more than one target: Greatsword.

Reason being is that ALL Greatsword 1 attacks are AoE, meaning less cycles are needed to drop multiple targets than Sword needs.

i.e. By the time you’ve killed your main target Greatsword has wounded the rest far more than Sword will have, even though Sword can drop a single target faster.

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: firebreathz.7692

firebreathz.7692

why do you do into the heart of the mists and test it out?

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: megaboy.6015

megaboy.6015

Reason being is that ALL Greatsword 1 attacks are AoE, meaning less cycles are needed to drop multiple targets than Sword needs.

i.e. By the time you’ve killed your main target Greatsword has wounded the rest far more than Sword will have, even though Sword can drop a single target faster.

THank You! very good answer

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: jamesigall.5938

jamesigall.5938

What Sable said, but keep in mind both weapons have other important aspects to influence your choice between them. GS has maul, a nice damage ability with a bleed, a long range short cooldown leap, a block/knockback, and a stun. Sword has a leap finisher on 2 which doubles as long range distance coverage, an evade/poison, and the option for an offhand of your choice. If picking between them its worth considering more than the dmg output of the 1 ability

80 DPS War / 80 DPS Ranger / 80 Support Guard
Blacktalon
Army of Devona [AoD]

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Sustained damage, mainhand sword>>>>>greatsword.

The only cleave missing is on the 2nd part of the chain, but the attacks on the sword hit both harder and quicker than the greatsword, so over time the difference isn’t much on groups and single target the difference is significant.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: Criminal.5627

Criminal.5627

this might change next patch, Great sword is being buffed apreariently so sit on this question for alittle bit befor you accept a def answer, but as it stands right now Sword does more dmg vs 1 target, Greatsword has aoe for 3 targets + evasion built in

Giant spiders of the world are just misunderstood creatures, they love to snuggle too.

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

It is important to note that 1h sword’s first and third attack chains cleave. This allows you to get up to 3 stacks of might on your pet from one attack chain.

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: capuchinseven.8395

capuchinseven.8395

THank You! very good answer

It’s not really, sword #1 is better all over for damage.

The bravest animal in the land is Captain Beaky and his band.

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: kekuso.5837

kekuso.5837

What/When is this new Greatsword buff that everyone keeps referring to??

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

GS Autoattack: 3 parts.
1st and 2nd part: Damage only for 1 second
3rd part: Damage and evade for 0.75 second

So basically nobody can directly hit you for almost half the time while you spam your number 1 skill. That with QZ/pet swap – more damage and more invincibility lolol (EDIT: QZ does not make you evade more LOL).

With felines, you can stack some decent bleeds with maul.

1. skill for mobility or healing with HS leap combo
  2. more invincibility (from projectiles)
  3. for stun and extra pet dmg

I don’t know why they need to buff GS, but oh wells~ the extra damage would be lurvely Though~ I hope they don’t nerf the autoattack after buffing maul.

(edited by kiwituatara.6053)

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Well. If you quickness with GS autoattack everything is sped up even the evade. So If you use quickness you are evading for the same amount of time…

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

whoops now i feel embarrassed. my bad! LOL

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

GS Autoattack: 3 parts.
1st and 2nd part: Damage only for 1 second
3rd part: Damage and evade for 0.75 second

So basically nobody can directly hit you for almost half the time while you spam your number 1 skill. That with QZ/pet swap – more damage and more invincibility lolol (EDIT: QZ does not make you evade more LOL).

The tooltips lie. One attack chain 1-3 does not actually take 0.5s + 0.5s + 0.75s = 1.75s. The tooltips lie. The true time it takes to do one full chain is 2.53s and I’dont know how much of that will make you impossible to hit with the 3rd chain.

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

Only the kick attack on sword’s autoattack is single target. The other two are AOE (in fact I suspect the AOE radius on one of them is bigger than greatsword’s).

Greatsword’s autoattack chain is 2.53 sec, with coefficients of 0.58, 0.58, 0.69. Or a total of 1.85 per 2.53 sec = 0.73 DPS

Sword’s autoattack chain is 1.80 sec, with coefficients of .61, .61 (kick), .73. That’s a total of 1.95 per 1.8 sec = 1.08 DPS against a single target.

If you remove kick from the chain it’s 1.34 per 1.8 sec = 0.74 DPS AOE. In other words, sword is still better (barely) than greatsword against multiple targets despite only 2 of its 3 attacks being AOE.

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

You might consider though that Sword will still move you around no matter if you disable autoattacking on it. It is just the weapon’s nature. So while you can constatnly adjust your position and facing angle to hit 3 enemies with the 180 degrees AoE in front of you with GS it might be a bit harder with sword because it keeps forcing you to face a specific target every X hits.

Also GS has Maul to increase DPS while I doubt sword 2 and 3 skills will do this.

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: quickthorn.4918

quickthorn.4918

Now that the patch has somewhat buffed GS, any thoughts on the differences now?

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

the differences now?
imo now, you can not compare them directly anymore.
The buffs to the “control” skills of GS require you to factor in the offhand weapon you wanna roll aswell.
GS now really makes a difference.
You can not simply ask “GS or sword” anymore, the question is, whether you need the block and bash.
Kinda funny now that GS is pretty much a “sword and shield” weapon set now :>

Treat it as such!

Do you want “sword+shield”?
or do you want support+damage? burning? cripple+poison? damage+reflect?

If anything, this patch made the decision easier by buffing GS.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

Sword vs Greatsword

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Maul will not make up for the difference in sustained DPS from autoattack.

Sword is still better DPS wise.