Tanbin's WvW Roaming Spirit Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.8367

Ryan.8367

Hey folks,

Been running a spirit build I built up over some time now that I’ve been using for WvW roaming and figured I’d share it:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQRAnY8fjAV91lVOVs2BiVBB1eoJzjJ3DRRqTdxKnMB-jECB4iDimkOQkIhOTqIaslhDRrKKsKZER1qbYSBAz0I-w

It’s condition/condition duration heavy with burst forms from pet and storm spirit active.

70% Condition duration
45% Boon Duration
11 Might consistently in a fight, up to 20ish or so with Rampage as one and 13-15 with fire aura running.

I run wolf as off-pet because i generally like it’s CC , but you can run lightning drake as well.

It’s built around might stacking with jungle stalker pet -> swapping with battle sigils. This is quite effective as with concentration training you’re able to get 22s of 5 might every 25 seconds (if you were to drop 10 in marks for 10 in BM and get f2 reduction that could put it at 20seconds cooldown which I’ve done and is also nice but I like 10 in marks both for the condi duration and more offensive condi with Keen edge). I can maintain usually around 11 might stacks on top of 1661 condition damage. With sun spirit passive you’re getting about 5 seconds of burning every 10 sec ICD and with storm 11 1/2 secs of swiftness every 10 sec ICD with both spirits up.

Since you have offhand training you can get fire aura rather consistently with sword/torch which produces even more might.

This build also shares the might you’re generating to your pet which can make jungle stalker quite nasty in terms of damage.

It seems pretty effective overall and can swap out spirit elite for rampage depending on who you’d face.

Anyhow, hope you guys enjoy, I’m working on video footage of the build in action so please give me some time for that as it would be my first video.

Tanbin 80 Ranger
Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

Tanbin is one of the best rangers I have played with in this game, and anyone looking for an effective roaming build for ranger would do well to read and consider this post thoroughly.

He’s spent a lot of time tweaking this and testing it in real situations in WvW.

Here’s to hoping Anet can help rangers a bit to make them a bit more useful in small group roaming situations, and buffing builds that focus on expanding the type of spirit build Tanbin has detailed above would be a sound way in which to do this IMO. It would also be nice to see Anet give a bit more group utility to builds outside of spirits so that some more variety can develop for small group roaming rangers.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

I thought about trying a might build as well. Have you looked at the runes of noble? You lose the 20% condition duration, but gain condition damage, and 40% might duration.

How is fighting 1v2+ situations with no healing power?

in Ranger

Posted by: milknnuts.8610

milknnuts.8610

I used to run almost the same exact set up(including traits) except for the sigils, signet of renewal and a couple jewelry. Im mainly a solo roamer and I had fun with this build.
Only hiccup I have with this is the 25 second CD’s on the spirits. There’d be times when I had to reset from a fight and wait till I can recast the spirits which broke the action for me.
But all in all this is one of the builds I had fun with.

in Ranger

Posted by: Faux Sheaux.6179

Faux Sheaux.6179

I like this build

Ehmry Bay – Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Menorah | Charr Cat | Some Cat Thing
Still running my old RRR build because why not

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.8367

Ryan.8367

I thought about trying a might build as well. Have you looked at the runes of noble? You lose the 20% condition duration, but gain condition damage, and 40% might duration.

How is fighting 1v2+ situations with no healing power?

I think superior rune of noble actually is probably a better runeset for this build after looking at it however i do like the condition duration, but I think you’ve made a good suggestion with the noble runs. Time to farm some dungeon and get them and check it out.

As for 1v2+ situations, i dont seem to have an issue doing 1v2’s as long as i know what im up against and a majority of that awareness comes from simply avoiding the cc. I would probably say though that having healing power would help alot.

When the next patch drops I’m already looking at a 0/0/30/20/20 spirit hybrid with even more might (might swap) and the endurance regeneration to make up for the loss in traited endurance regen. There’s also a 0/0/30/30/10 with shouts + sun spirit im going to be utilizing as well which would grant more passive defensives, so this build may change a bit.

But overall it’s pretty decent, especially in 1on1/duel situations. Think my only weakness would be a condition mesmer / good played condi engi but I personally have issues with those classes in general so maybe it’s just a L2P issue, who knows.

Thanks for the shoutout Deathtouch appreciate it man. Thanks Sir feather sword, yea i remember you man some kitten good fights in spvp duel arena. If you want to roll ranger just hit me in whispers and let me know if you need help with anything and I can try my best to help.

Thanks Faux Shaux, appreciate it man.

Tanbin 80 Ranger
Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Hey folks,

Been running a spirit build I built up over some time now that I’ve been using for WvW roaming and figured I’d share it:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQRAnY8fjAV91lVOVs2BiVBB1eoJzjJ3DRRqTdxKnMB-jECB4iDimkOQkIhOTqIaslhDRrKKsKZER1qbYSBAz0I-w

It’s condition/condition duration heavy with burst forms from pet and storm spirit active.

70% Condition duration
45% Boon Duration
11 Might consistently in a fight, up to 20ish or so with Rampage as one and 13-15 with fire aura running.

I run wolf as off-pet because i generally like it’s CC , but you can run lightning drake as well.

It’s built around might stacking with jungle stalker pet -> swapping with battle sigils. This is quite effective as with concentration training you’re able to get 22s of 5 might every 25 seconds (if you were to drop 10 in marks for 10 in BM and get f2 reduction that could put it at 20seconds cooldown which I’ve done and is also nice but I like 10 in marks both for the condi duration and more offensive condi with Keen edge). I can maintain usually around 11 might stacks on top of 1661 condition damage. With sun spirit passive you’re getting about 5 seconds of burning every 10 sec ICD and with storm 11 1/2 secs of swiftness every 10 sec ICD with both spirits up.

Since you have offhand training you can get fire aura rather consistently with sword/torch which produces even more might.

This build also shares the might you’re generating to your pet which can make jungle stalker quite nasty in terms of damage.

It seems pretty effective overall and can swap out spirit elite for rampage depending on who you’d face.

Anyhow, hope you guys enjoy, I’m working on video footage of the build in action so please give me some time for that as it would be my first video.

Any updates? The last patch changed some areas – best build now?

I was told about you by an opposing server’s resident in WvW. Kind of him…

Glad to see good Rangers in WvW! Now, I want to be one.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Dunno how you roam in WvW without speed

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Dunno how you roam in WvW without speed

C’mon, you can switch out a signet and then switch it back most of the time

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

I have only ever used the Stone Spirit. So I don’t really understand how they are so effective. For instance Storm Spirit. It gives a chance to proc swiftness during a fight? What am I missing understanding why that is important. I see it has a /use every 20 seconds, but the damage shown on the tool tip(354) doesn’t look all that earth shattering.

Obviously I am missing something. Which wouldn’t be the first time

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

I have only ever used the Stone Spirit. So I don’t really understand how they are so effective. For instance Storm Spirit. It gives a chance to proc swiftness during a fight? What am I missing understanding why that is important. I see it has a /use every 20 seconds, but the damage shown on the tool tip(354) doesn’t look all that earth shattering.

Obviously I am missing something. Which wouldn’t be the first time

Before the dec 10th patch, Storm Spirit’s active hit for 3k base damage, 5k on a rare crit. After the update, it has been reduced to 2k damage base on active.

Those tooltips are garbage, and Storm Spirit has some type of crazy unexplainable damage scaling going on that has nothing to do with stat investment, which is probably the cause of why the tooltip is so bad.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: Urdaddy.6539

Urdaddy.6539

Had to drop in to say that Ryan’s one of, if not the best ranger I’ve met. He’s helped me tremendously with my ranger, very generous with his tips and advice.

Thanks for showing me the way of the ranger.

PS. if you guys get the updated version of this build now, it is even more awesome

in Ranger

Posted by: Soccergirl.5734

Soccergirl.5734

Had to drop in to say that Ryan’s one of, if not the best ranger I’ve met. He’s helped me tremendously with my ranger, very generous with his tips and advice.

Thanks for showing me the way of the ranger.

PS. if you guys get the updated version of this build now, it is even more awesome

There’s an updated version to this build? Could you share it please?

Thanks!