Targeting

Targeting

in Ranger

Posted by: escobert.9024

escobert.9024

Has anyone else noticed the horrible targeting with “target nearest enemy”?

I’ll have say a inquest attacking me and I have target nearest enemy binded to tab. I push tab and my toon targets a firefly well out of range and not involved in the battle at all.

How on earth does the game think I want to target this creature and not the one right next to me attacking me?

anyone else have issues with this? Or is there an easier way to switch targets that doesn’t involve clicking on their names?

Blippy Azure – Asura Guardian
Acquire [ACE]
For Aspenwood Has A Giant [HAMR]

Targeting

in Ranger

Posted by: Aden Celeste.3650

Aden Celeste.3650

Agreed, I sometimes aim at the floor for no reason at all…

Targeting

in Ranger

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I think its based on mouse position or which way the camera is pointing or something.

Its definately annoying. Targetting should prioritize enemies already engaged in combat with you over anything else for starters, and nearest target should actually be nearest target, not “target closest to the center of the direction the camera is pointed (or whatever it is)”.

Targeting

in Ranger

Posted by: Dutchmango.5690

Dutchmango.5690

Yes the targeting system in this game in general needs to be worked on. Also the continuous shooting after not targeting someone. My opinion is coming from WOW they should just buy their targeting system it worked awesome lol.

Targeting

in Ranger

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

Agreed, I sometimes aim at the floor for no reason at all…

This. Very frustrating.

Targeting

in Ranger

Posted by: Aurrynthea.7581

Aurrynthea.7581

Has anyone else noticed the horrible targeting with “target nearest enemy”?

I’ll have say a inquest attacking me and I have target nearest enemy binded to tab. I push tab and my toon targets a firefly well out of range and not involved in the battle at all.

How on earth does the game think I want to target this creature and not the one right next to me attacking me?

anyone else have issues with this? Or is there an easier way to switch targets that doesn’t involve clicking on their names?

This is not just a ranger thing – I’ve created 4 differnet charaters in 4 different professions and the ‘target nearest enemy’ is by far the most anoying thing for me as it’s caused me to die when I really didn’t need to.

My biggest complaint is the targeting of non agressive creatures when in a fight thus pulling in one more thing to try and kill you, which in some instances, leads to a mob that really didn’t have to exist. Why are non aggressive creatures auto-targets at all?

I can’t begin to describe my frustration at the number of times a freaking moa or a moose attacked me because the useless targeting system thought why not add one more enemy to the mix.

‘Field of vision’ seems to be a factor in choosing what targets to auto-target but the fact of the matter is if you get hit from behind you generally turn to see what the hell hit you so why not take that into account when ‘target nearest enemy’ is selected?

I’m not lost, I know exactly where I am…I just didn’t want to be here right now.

Targeting

in Ranger

escobert.9024

Yeah I completely agree with grabbing non-aggressive mobs. So annoying.

Acquire [ACE]

Targeting

in Ranger

Posted by: ChrisP.4386

ChrisP.4386

I would say there there is never a logical reason to auto-target a non-hostile. Anet, feel free to explain the logic behind that to me, but I don’t see it. (Unless there is an underlying issue with how the game targeting makes the adjustment from non-hostile to hostile, but they do it with skill points and things going green/red.)

Terryn Deathward
Footsteps of War [FoW]
Yak’s Bend

Targeting

in Ranger

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

I feel your pain. When I have 3 Centar’s around me all wacking on me when the 1st one goes down the ‘auto promote’ fails and I just stand there getting hit. Hitting ‘1’ then auto targets the EQUIPMENT RACK a dozen or more yards away instead of the 2 Centar’s that are left in my face kicking my butt!

Where’s the prioritization of targets? (there is none!)

1. In your face (attacking you)
2. Attacking you from range
3. Might attack you if you get near it
4. Will attack you if you attack it
5. Will not fight back – non-living object

More times then not, switching targets will pick #5 above over 1 or 2. <grrrrr>

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

Targeting

in Ranger

Posted by: slingblade.1437

slingblade.1437

I would say there there is never a logical reason to auto-target a non-hostile. )

It’s not uncommon, at least in WvW, to rally by killing non hostiles. I don’t know how often people use auto-targeting, but it’s possible. That being said, I agree that “target nearest” is not nearly has helpful as it should be. There have been many times when I’m running solo in wvw and fleeing a group of players, I’d love to send my pet to attack the closest one on my tail, but I have not figured out how to do that without physically turning around, which means I die anyway. Even when I us my “look behind” button, I can’t click on a target, which is a whole ’nother problem.

Targeting

in Ranger

Posted by: firebreathz.7692

firebreathz.7692

if you take alook in the game controls options there are several targeting skills that are unbinded that will help with your targeting issues

Nearest Enemy

Previous Enemy

Lock Autotarget

I think nearest enemy will be most helpful to you guys as it only targets the closest enemy to you..

hope this helps

Attachments:

Targeting

in Ranger

Posted by: slingblade.1437

slingblade.1437

I think nearest enemy will be most helpful to you guys as it only targets the closest enemy to you..

What the OP is saying is that this feature does not work reliably. It seems to be related to which way the camera is facing more so than which enemy is closest.

Targeting

in Ranger

Posted by: firebreathz.7692

firebreathz.7692

What the OP is saying is that this feature does not work reliably. It seems to be related to which way the camera is facing more so than which enemy is closest.

I understand that.. and know of it, really pisses me off at the times i need it most..

i hope they change it to ignore the camera

but i hope it’s not an immersion thing where it’s like our eyes so if we cant see it it cant be targeted.. i hope thats not the case.. but might be the reason it is this way

Targeting

in Ranger

Posted by: ChrisP.4386

ChrisP.4386

I think the biggest issue right now (at least for me) is the auto-target functionality. I have ‘C’ bound to closest enemy as it was in GW1, but that doesn’t help when you’re target dies and the next item up for bids gets targeted. (I know…stop spamming attacks, but in a mob sometimes I don’t realize my target is dead until I target a deer off to the right of me.)

Terryn Deathward
Footsteps of War [FoW]
Yak’s Bend

Targeting

in Ranger

Posted by: Akisame.9508

Akisame.9508

I am not so sure if it is the camera or not. I also have a hot key for target nearest enemy. I have noticed that when I hit it the first time, it doesn’t target the nearest enemy, just a random enemy in the crowd, however, if I hit it one more time, then it goes to the nearest enemy. So now I just have the habit of hitting the button twice to get the correct target. Maybe it’s just me but check it out see if it works for you.

Targeting

in Ranger

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

I’ve been playing MMO’s constantly since 1997 (actually Diablo before that), this tab/targetting system is the worst at doing its job. I will go in and look at the settings as recommended, but I find it unreliable especially with a pet. Pet has its own, tab/target at times. Example. Yesterday I was finishing the kill daily, think it was 50, anyway, I killed a red target and out of the blue, my pet runs up to a Yellow Moa and attacks it. I was like, wha???? I never targetted that.

EDIT: Tab Target was on something other than Nearest Enemy, hopefully this will fix the issue I was having. Thanks for pointing this out.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

(edited by NargofWoV.4267)

Targeting

in Ranger

escobert.9024

I’ll have to try the double tap for target nearest.

Acquire [ACE]