Tentonhammer posted an article

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

http://www.tentonhammer.com/columns/persistent-worlds/persistent-worlds-where-profession-developer-engagement

There’s a particularly interesting nod (and link) to a locked thread that a lot of us are familiar with by now.

This is a fun week

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: Razaac.7834

Razaac.7834

I m glad that a lot of ppl are much better in saying the right things with the proper wording then i do. I 100% agree with that article and also about that “druid” post.
Thank you Lewis B for making that article.

in Ranger

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Its simple. Anet flat out does not care about ranger.

I saw enough proof after the Ranger CDI and the joke of changes that came after an encyclopedia worth of well thought suggestions were made in that CDI.

I for one, could not be happier when I switched away from ranger as my main.

Barring a miracle from HoT,
This class is dead to me , just like it is to anet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

really hope Anet pull their pants up on this one , the LB patch was amazing but it brought so many bugs its crippling the class in its performance and its image again.

though trying not to go on a Rant its getting Fustrating to see the bugs keep stacking up and with so many tooltips and traits not working properly.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

25k views on the thread now lol!

in Ranger

Posted by: Nieguen.6235

Nieguen.6235

I agree with tentonhammer (cough engineer cough). It’s a shame Arenanet does not want to accept it. A communication from devs working on their respective class on constructive posts would give them more love and an even better advertisement for the whole company and the game itself.
Okay Roy is an exception with the rev because it is a whole new class, but the guys working with him and him do an amazing job by listening to constructive feedback and answering when needed.
Robert Gee started to do the same.
Why guys working on ranger and engineer do not reply or post comments, or just say “okay guys we know, we are working on this”. Communication is the key.

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Someone mentioned in that article’s comments that Chris Whiteside left Anet already back in spring, I didn’t know and I just figured that they are too busy with HoT to continue CDIs. Makes me sad he left right before he was going to do the GvG one tho, doubt the GvG arena thing in HoT will be as polished as it could have been with his help.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

I agree with tentonhammer (cough engineer cough). It’s a shame Arenanet does not want to accept it. A communication from devs working on their respective class on constructive posts would give them more love and an even better advertisement for the whole company and the game itself.
Okay Roy is an exception with the rev because it is a whole new class, but the guys working with him and him do an amazing job by listening to constructive feedback and answering when needed.
Robert Gee started to do the same.
Why guys working on ranger and engineer do not reply or post comments, or just say “okay guys we know, we are working on this”. Communication is the key.

Agreed, and the worst part is, on top of the lack of communication, we don’t actually even know who the lead developer for ranger/engi (and didn’t for most classes outside of Gee and Roy’s transparency and willingness to interact) is. Even that basic of an association is something that can’t be made transparent to the community so at least it’s settled in the back of people’s minds that their is a workforce tasked to it so that it is actively being worked on.

It’s really poor that not all classes will be getting the same time with BWEs and feedback, and there hasn’t been a single ounce of communication on that front either. Why did the release go from a generic “2015 when it’s ready” to “let’s shaft some classes and their public testing and feedback time and release on Oct. 23rd?” What’s the rush? Where are we in the development cycle? What can we conceptually expect?

DATAMINERS generate more hype and relieve more players than the developers do, and when we see the things that get datamined, the question that always pop into my mind is “why did it have to be shown in this way, couldn’t ANet have made a blog about the stuff that already exists in some form, at least conceptually, and told us about it?”

Most people that have preodered so far, especially in advance, have been sold purely on promises and belief that they will do a good job with the expansion, but as history shows, their promises versus their implementation barely ever meet player expectations, and it certainly couldn’t be called a spotless track record.

It really is beyond frustrating.

in Ranger

Posted by: Darkness.9732

Darkness.9732

Tentonhammer got the point .
ranger has so many problems…why anet doesn’ t solve em?

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

I imagine it would be an unnecessary waste of server space to save 45 pet names for each ranger character. If they say they have sold 5 million copies of the game and we have seen stats before that ranger is one of the most popular classes (as in people have them) then we can almost assume that they would have to save 5 million x 45 names. Granted there are some people who won’t have a ranger or won’t name all their pets, but on the other hand you have people, like myself, who have 4 rangers. Its a waste of space, who cares? It shouldn’t even be mentioned in an article like this.

On another note, something that people never seem to keep track of is how the game is coded. Sure, spirits got nerfed. At the time ranger was the strongest class in the game for mainly 2 reasons: Nature’s Vengeance and the Storm Spirit’s independent stats. This made it very difficult to deal with Spirit Rangers because you could be tanky and deal a HUGE amount of damage. Unfortunately, the way Storm Spirit was coded it was too much of a hassle at the time to recode the whole thing because the coding for it was also tied into other mechanics in the game, I believe also pets, turrets, and minions. Changing Storm Spirit to scale off of ranger power would have probably affected those other AI as well. To top it off, spirit ranger was mobile, the spirits could move around and body block enemy skills and there was no way to separate the ranger from his spirits without (probably) eating Nature’s Vengeance. I often heard that it was proposed that spirits should have never moved in the first place, the way they worked in GW1, and also to remove Nature’s Vengeance. For the time being it seems they have done both. Personally, I prefer that spirits remain immobile and I am on the fence about Nature’s vengeance. My only gripe, and I believe what everyone should be complaining about, is the hp pool on spirits and how they die on activation. In the end, we don’t know what druid will be, maybe it will have spirit related traits? Who knows? I don’t see any reason to whine about this stuff when we really have no idea what its like behind the scenes (ie, difficulty in nerfing storm spirit because of coding).

(edited by Eurantien.4632)

in Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.1584

Prophet.1584

let’s see if ranger comes out this week lol

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Skullface.7293

Skullface.7293

I agree having 45 names on pets is not something people should care. At least Tentonhammer is giving the problem some attention. MAYBE anet will try to communicate with us more?

Hiro || Talgo
Main: Ranger
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/hirothebeast

in Ranger

Posted by: Sonickeyblade.8415

Sonickeyblade.8415

This is a sad state of affairs.

I remember the Pet Name bug being an issue back when the game first released. I just figured they COULDN’T fix it. Not wouldn’t.

As Ranger is my favorite class/profession, I am disappointed that it’s doing so badly. No communication, not acknowledgement of the problem(s), no attempts to finish it…

It’s like a wildfire that has been burning for 3 years. How is that even possible? And I feel bad. I thought Anet had good communication with its players as I’ve only been back to the game for 2 months after a year+ hiatus. That is not the case however.

Our only hope is that Druid comes with an overhaul for the entire profession… but I don’t see that as likely… and I don’t think anyone does.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I imagine it would be an unnecessary waste of server space to save 45 pet names for each ranger character. If they say they have sold 5 million copies of the game and we have seen stats before that ranger is one of the most popular classes (as in people have them) then we can almost assume that they would have to save 5 million x 45 names. Granted there are some people who won’t have a ranger or won’t name all their pets, but on the other hand you have people, like myself, who have 4 rangers. Its a waste of space, who cares? It shouldn’t even be mentioned in an article like this.

Just save the names on the client side in a .txt file, then check them for length and language on pet change.

Not that it takes up much space anyway… 5,000,000 (accounts) x 45 (pets) x 15 (characters per name) = 3,375,000,000 bytes, divided by 1024 (Kb)/ 1024 (Mb) /1024 (Gb) = 3.14Gb. I have offered to pay for a USB stick ANet can store these names on previously, that offer still stands

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Just save the names on the client side in a .txt file, then check them for length and language on pet change.

Not that it takes up much space anyway… 5,000,000 (accounts) x 45 (pets) x 15 (characters per name) = 3,375,000,000 bytes, divided by 1024 (Kb)/ 1024 (Mb) /1024 (Gb) = 3.14Gb. I have offered to pay for a USB stick ANet can store these names on previously, that offer still stands

This. If storage space wasn’t a sinister joke already, just write the files locally, like the rest of our visual/audio/keybindings preferences and login credentials.

And if we’re going for wishes, how about “decreasing” our pet leash range to 5000 for non-sPvP game modes?

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

lol beat me to it. They were able to do exactly this with builds and pet names in GW1, there is no reason they physically can’t do it for GW2. The only explanation is they think so little of ranger bugs that they haven’t bothered.

Anyway this article is fantastic. Nothing get’s their butts in gear like negative press.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

I agree with the sentiment Eurantien.

Since I’ve never offered up my own solution to the naming though, and always say pretty much exactly the same thing, maybe I’ll take the opportunity to do so now haha. Instead of just naming every pet in it’s own name slot, why has ANet never just made the naming slots their own separate entity outside of the pet objects and allowed people to save whatever they type into those 2 slots? I mean, no, it doesn’t retain each individual pets name if you have a custom name for all 45, but if you use generic names regardless of the pet/species, then it would have been a simple enough fix along the way (around the time they thought reskinning the HoM jellyfish was important).

On a more serious note, Eurantien addresses something that I’ve found to be a huge issue with ANets coding (from what I can interpret) for awhile now, which is their overuse or misuse of inheriting. For example, remember when GS was given it’s fury on crit trait, and that trait somehow gave the same effect to the Longbow when traited with Eagle Eye, minus the cooldown?

That’s because all of the damage percent modifiers all probably inherit from a common class, but when it was initially coded, instead of using some “super” class to then extend to all of the different traits it needed to, they extended from the base class to the gs trait, and from the gs trait to the lb trait, and the lb trait ended up gaining aspects of the GS trait it wasn’t supposed to have.

The reason why this is so…. “not good,” although time efficient, is because when misused or overused, it makes it extremely difficult to go back and make future changes when everything is all tangled together like a spider web instead of having 1:1 base class to inherited class relationships, and the developers more than likely spend more time untangling and troubleshooting changes made to their own code than actually implementing new features because of it.

in Ranger

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

I followed the link and there was indeed an article. Good thread.

But on a more serious note let me play a bit of devil’s advocate here. Whether the article and Jcbroe’s thread holds much truth or not I think there is a lot of energy being put into something negative here. Put your hands on your heart and tell me whether any of you really think Anet will change their stance on communicating with the playerbase forum users based on this article and the referenced (closed) thread? I certainly don’t think so.

Now I’m not saying that people should not voice their concerns with a product/service as consumers. However I don’t see how the article in question is anything else than venting.

I too feel there are a lot of glaring problems with Ranger and other professions are overtaking them in a lot of aspects (which is why I couldn’t be bothered to log in for the most part of the last 5-8 months). However I wanted give a different perspective, as I don’t think there will be many people in disagreement with the article.

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

I followed the link and there was indeed an article. Good thread.

But on a more serious note let me play a bit of devil’s advocate here. Whether the article and Jcbroe’s thread holds much truth or not I think there is a lot of energy being put into something negative here. Put your hands on your heart and tell me whether any of you really think Anet will change their stance on communicating with the playerbase forum users based on this article and the referenced (closed) thread? I certainly don’t think so.

Now I’m not saying that people should not voice their concerns with a product/service as consumers. However I don’t see how the article in question is anything else than venting.

I too feel there are a lot of glaring problems with Ranger and other professions are overtaking them in a lot of aspects (which is why I couldn’t be bothered to log in for the most part of the last 5-8 months). However I wanted give a different perspective, as I don’t think there will be many people in disagreement with the article.

Oh I totally understand, but at the point it’s reached it isn’t even necessarily about the actual feedback anymore, but a community of players leveraging their position against the developers.

On that note, it isn’t even a matter of trying to get a reaction from the developers, it’s whether or not they react at all, and it doesn’t have to be an immediate reaction to have a reaction. They could take this feedback to heart and release a patch addressing it a year from now and they will have made their position clear in just that action alone.

But that’s what people want to see, what position is ANet going to take, and ANet has to decide now, are they going to be greedy soul-less developers that are out to make a quick buck, or are they going to be quality developers that gather feedback and try, in a balanced and logical way, to improve the quality of their game in that way (which also generates revenue, albeit in a less immediate way).

I don’t think any of us actually expect a developer reaction. I think that for most people, the goal is a lot more simple and immediate than that; we’ve put the ball in ANet’s court, and now it’s their move, and their are more than a few people waiting to “vote with their wallets” on how ANet reacts to things like this in either the immediate product they are selling, or any future products they try to sell.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Somehow, I knew Lewis would write about this. If you are here Lewis, thank you. Sincerely, thank you for writing about that thread for us Rangers.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Gotta say, this little joke escalated a lot farther than I ever thought, lets hope Anet actually does something about the issues we have…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

But that’s what people want to see, what position is ANet going to take, and ANet has to decide now, are they going to be greedy soul-less developers that are out to make a quick buck, or are they going to be quality developers that gather feedback and try, in a balanced and logical way, to improve the quality of their game in that way (which also generates revenue, albeit in a less immediate way).

That’s a bit of a leap, I don’t think the reason they don’t communicate more via the forums has to do anything with moneygrubbing. I think it’s more treading on eggshells. They are so affraid to promise anything (not just them really, but most game developers), that we end up with game developer’s “having to alienate themselves” from users. I recall Nigel DeJong breaking Hatem Ben Arfa’s legs and the witch hunt that followed. And I also recall someone saying that football (the European version) was allways violent, but now there are cameras everywhere and everyone sees everything.

I find it more interesting that the end of the article states the supposed reason for the lack of communication, i.e. developers being overworked. That certainly won’t go away. Its not a choice of being greedy or considerate, its about staying in the market. Just look at how much anticipation surrounds new content (which was awaited for a looong time now). These expectations and GW2’s cash model won’t make it any easier going forward for sure.

But good luck! May these forums get the attention everyone would like it to receive.

in Ranger

Skullface.7293

It’s really a shame Anet just ignores every post from the ranger forum that are worth reading. Sometimes I can understand the devs don’t have always the time to respond, but that excuse can’t be used anymore after such a long time. If I have the time to read, I have the time to write aswell. They don’t need to write a big text and only takes a couple seconds of their lives in front of the computer screen.

Hiro || Talgo

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

Reading the forums – even just parts of it – most definitely takes more time than a few seconds. These guys have actual tasks which HoT depends on for success. Replying to more posts on the Forums might be further down the line on the priority list. Anet could have all the good intentions in the world if the price of success in the industry is this amount of effort required.

in Ranger

Skullface.7293

Reading the forums – even just parts of it – most definitely takes more time than a few seconds. These guys have actual tasks which HoT depends on for success. Replying to more posts on the Forums might be further down the line on the priority list. Anet could have all the good intentions in the world if the price of success in the industry is this amount of effort required.

What I meant to say is that it takes under than a minute to write something after you have read the thread. Maybe you didn’t understand it that way, my english isn’t perfect.

Hiro || Talgo

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

That’s a bit of a leap, I don’t think the reason they don’t communicate more via the forums has to do anything with moneygrubbing. I think it’s more treading on eggshells. They are so affraid to promise anything (not just them really, but most game developers), that we end up with game developer’s “having to alienate themselves” from users. I recall Nigel DeJong breaking Hatem Ben Arfa’s legs and the witch hunt that followed. And I also recall someone saying that football (the European version) was allways violent, but now there are cameras everywhere and everyone sees everything.

I find it more interesting that the end of the article states the supposed reason for the lack of communication, i.e. developers being overworked. That certainly won’t go away. Its not a choice of being greedy or considerate, its about staying in the market. Just look at how much anticipation surrounds new content (which was awaited for a looong time now). These expectations and GW2’s cash model won’t make it any easier going forward for sure.

But good luck! May these forums get the attention everyone would like it to receive.

Communication isn’t just responding on the forums or in blogs though, it’s also part of the development process and implementation.

What I mean by that is that ANet doesn’t have to even speak to players at all necessarily in order to express that there is communication. They could have simply taken feedback and made more than just a small handful of changes with it over the last 3 years, and the act of acting on it alone would be the confirmation that they are listening, which would in turn make players feel as though there is a bridge of communication.

But ANet can’t sit idly by and do neither, because without saying something to their community or developing in a meaningful way with targeted changes focusing on relevant issues based on provided feedback with actual quality to the things changed, they are essentially saying they aren’t listening and don’t care about the stances that their community cares about and finds meaningful. Not that they actually don’t care or don’t listen, but they don’t really have much weighing in their favor in that department.

That’s all I’m trying to say lol. I personally don’t need or even want some over active ANet worker constantly coddling every time I or other players manage for to form a coherent idea or sentence, I want them to ACTUALLY DO something and prove to me they’ve heard any sort of feedback and intend to make meaningful changes (and not just a singular decent enough change to keep me from quitting per year).

in Ranger

Posted by: bloodpyrope.8630

bloodpyrope.8630

A while ago, there were attempts from Anet to create Profession Forum Specialists

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Forum-Specialist-Program/first

But it looks like it never got off the ground. I’m wondering if this would be a good time to bring that back? I’m not sure what that that…duty would consist of. But if it’s a way to have a liason between player and developers, it’s a lot better than what we currently have.

It at least solves the problem of needing a dev to read every post and respond to it if we had someone who could do summaries and respond on their behalf.

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

That’s all I’m trying to say lol. I personally don’t need or even want some over active ANet worker constantly coddling every time I or other players manage for to form a coherent idea or sentence, I want them to ACTUALLY DO something and prove to me they’ve heard any sort of feedback and intend to make meaningful changes (and not just a singular decent enough change to keep me from quitting per year).

Lightning reflexes clearing immobilize, merging spirit traits, poison master, increase of longbow damage for short range, increasing projectile speed, healing spring is now a trap triggering off friendlies, traits that use on evade mechanic, signet of the beastmaster becoming baseline. Hell, do you remember when signets had 90-180second cooldown? Even that they changed. I’m pretty sure these were suggested on the forums. Is Anet perfect? No. Are the forum users perfect? Hell no! Do you remember them calling an Anet dev responsible for dungeon content who frequented the ranger forums a double agent for posting on the thief forums? This is exeggaration of course. Anet ignoring the forums is as well. I think they do action suggestions (even if not as frequently as we would like).

in Ranger

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Tentonhammer got the point .
ranger has so many problems…why anet doesn’ t solve em?

Look at from Anet’s point of view….

Is it worth the resources of their already handicapped dev team to waste time on something that is utterly broken? This isn’t a simple fix, it requires a lot of revamp since the core itself of this class is in bad shape.

So anet has to ask themselves if it’s worth it to deal with the ranger headache….

Monetarily speaking, fixing ranger isn’t going to bring anet revenue.

Thats about as simple of an answer I can think of.

Anet / NCsoft higher ups probably want development to be more focused on things that generate revenue, increase playerbase/popularity, etc etc etc…. fixing ranger lol? probably on the backend of their “to do” list. Sadly.

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

^ This

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

I’m pretty sure you know this but enterprise disk space isn’t that cheap nor is it as simple as tossing Arena Net a USB stick or other form of external storage…

Having played a Guardian for most of my time in GW2, since heard start, I tend to feel it is the bottom dweller and find more enjoyment on the Ranger lately. However, this is really subjective. What I do know is that if you are not playing a Elementalist then it really doesn’t matter because we are al fighting for the bottom tier. ..

One thing that isn’t helping the player base is lack of competition. There really isn’t a game with similar mechanics with regards to WvW. Sure, there are games with so called battle grounds but there is a pretty hefty player base that likes the three way fighting not seen since DaOC. Free to play, one time purchase, can walk away at any time, pretty casual, and reasonable performance make it sort of stand out and sustain a player base. Subbing for WoW or any of the other launches until they fail and become free to play isn’t interesting outside probably SWtOR.

Personal opinion until we get something that catches our attention and plays similarly this is what we got and it is up to each person to decide when it is time to hang up the mouse…

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Lightning reflexes clearing immobilize, merging spirit traits, poison master, increase of longbow damage for short range, increasing projectile speed, healing spring is now a trap triggering off friendlies, traits that use on evade mechanic, signet of the beastmaster becoming baseline. Hell, do you remember when signets had 90-180second cooldown? Even that they changed. I’m pretty sure these were suggested on the forums. Is Anet perfect? No. Are the forum users perfect? Hell no! Do you remember them calling an Anet dev responsible for dungeon content who frequented the ranger forums a double agent for posting on the thief forums? This is exeggaration of course. Anet ignoring the forums is as well. I think they do action suggestions (even if not as frequently as we would like).

Sure, those are all nice QoL changes, but they happened virtually within a bubble, meaning that while they were nice improvements, they didn’t impact the class relative to the classes standing throughout the rest of the game.

3 years later, ANet still hasn’t shown any signs of improving on their inability to develop and balance outside of a vacuum for each class.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

So Dev interaction with Ranger is on par with Thief. =) Want to join our club guys? I came to post an op condi build (op used jokingly, I was laughing really hard when someone triggered the whole set up though) but you guys are where we are. offers a comforting touch We feel your pain.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAV3fjEqQ7K2rCmsAVLGYEqv1X9UvjgaNp5C4yDgU+VIg6F-TJhAABws/A0XEAyKDAwTAAA

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

We medium armored classes stick together… Thick as Thieves, just not as squishy :P

in Ranger

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

We wouldn’t be so squishy if any one of our lines offered boons like protection, stability, aegis, or resistance. But no we only get Swiftness and might and quickness (also the WORST access to quickness outside of ele and necro. even worse than a friggin sigil .-.). Meh salt levels, they rise. Excuse me.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Ah, no worries. I get just as salty when thinking about the change to Feline Grace. Even saltier when I am reminded of a whole lot of other things that is a list too long to even post haha!

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I remember the Pet Name bug being an issue back when the game first released. I just figured they COULDN’T fix it. Not wouldn’t.

As Ranger is my favorite class/profession, I am disappointed that it’s doing so badly. No communication, not acknowledgement of the problem(s), no attempts to finish it…

It’s like a wildfire that has been burning for 3 years. How is that even possible? And I feel bad. I thought Anet had good communication with its players as I’ve only been back to the game for 2 months after a year+ hiatus. That is not the case however.

Our only hope is that Druid comes with an overhaul for the entire profession… but I don’t see that as likely… and I don’t think anyone does.

The pet name issue is something I have never seen in any MMO that has a dedicated pet class. My ranger has been my main since launch, but after playing the whirling god of death that is the reaper, I’m fast becoming a necromancer convert.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

The pet name issue is something I have never seen in any MMO that has a dedicated pet class. My ranger has been my main since launch, but after playing the whirling god of death that is the reaper, I’m fast becoming a necromancer convert.

Most probably will. It currently has a lot going for it.

And…it has made a few rounds/passes in beta.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Ranger

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

I just want to point out that there have been 5 total dev responses to threads in the past 100 pages of threads in the ranger forum.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

If the forum specialists got off the ground, we could have a weekly poll to find 5 questions the specialist got to email Gaile and have answered. It would be 5 questions for each lead dev on each class and mode, so really would take little time out of their week. Yet it would mean the world to the players, such a small thing.

in Ranger

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

The pet naming thing is very small, but I must admit it bothers me a lot. And I don’t know that I buy the waste of space argument….I mean WoW allows you to name all your Hunter pets and it allows people to name their minipets. You know how many minipets are in that game? Hundreds…

I know WoW is a much bigger game and rakes in tons of money (though it’s slowly dying), but I would think GW2 is big enough that they can do this.

(edited by xarallei.4279)

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

I am still holding out the idea that the Ranger elite specialization will become available, AFTER HoT is released

Regardless, I wonder why no one has stopped by to say something as simple as: “Hey guys n’ gals, don’t worry. We didn’t forget about you. We are holding Ranger till last because we’ve put quite a bit of work into making it better. We are releasing it last because we want to get it right. Stay tuned!”

That would put so many of us at ease…

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in Ranger

Posted by: Mavander.3208

Mavander.3208

I am still holding out the idea that the Ranger elite specialization will become available, AFTER HoT is released

Regardless, I wonder why no one has stopped by to say something as simple as: “Hey guys n’ gals, don’t worry. We didn’t forget about you. We are holding Ranger till last because we’ve put quite a bit of work into making it better. We are releasing it last because we want to get it right. Stay tuned!”

They could totally say they’re having problems getting it right. They could say they aren’t close to ready yet. ANYTHING is better then NOTHING. Am I right?

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

They could totally say they’re having problems getting it right. They could say they aren’t close to ready yet. ANYTHING is better then NOTHING. Am I right?

Totally!

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Btw all the pet names can just be stored client side like screenshots. Zero server use for anet.

Ranger | Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Anet has learned that if anything is said players take the information and run with it. When what has bee said changes it causes more problem then remaining silent (players rage some quit and forums blow up).

There are also to many outlets for dispensing information. Anet has said that the root on the sword was working as intend yet people still ask we they will fix this bug. One dev said (on twitch) they will look into the root on sword 2 year later people are still using that quote. When later a forum post say he looked into and the changes he tried had a very minor affect and wouldn’t be implemented.

Anet has always said that nothing is certain until it goes live. They have clearly stated this many times: yet people still call anet liars for not doing what they have said.

Yet you people wonder why anet isn’t more forthcoming. Every week we see post about pet stow but, anet has stated they have no plans of ever doing it. This could change but this decision is solely anets.

We all have thing we would like to see in the game, but when you are demanding stuff I really think your out of line. I Think to many people are used to modding games (in one way or another) and don’t know how to get good or enjoy the game they have.

A suggestion is just that and some people act like anet must do x. I think GW2 is the best game out at the moment is it perfect no but what is.

Suggestion and concerns are always good. More transparency isn’t always the best. We get a lot of information from anet. The issue is its not the information you want but, its not all about you.

Anets priority is doing whats best for the game as a whole, not whats best for your main class.

The solution of having pet name on client side may not work when its laggy culling can still be an issue at time but namely always show because it server side. What happens if you remove the name client side pet with no name would be bad. Creating a check is just more work.

Rangers act like anet doesn’t like ranger but they have put more work into the ranger just with the 45 pets and accompany skills. We also have the luna wolf. Maybe we don’t appreciate the work that has gone into the ranger. Do we need work yes, but to say anet hate rangers is bs.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: DoogySnowStalker.2069

DoogySnowStalker.2069

Uh, is this just on my side, or did Tentongamemr remove their post?

Is a Warrior just a pet without a Ranger?

in Ranger

Posted by: Mavander.3208

Mavander.3208

Yep, me too. Great…

in Ranger

Posted by: DoogySnowStalker.2069

DoogySnowStalker.2069

Yep, me too. Great…

Wow, Anet is really trying to avoid this issue…

Is a Warrior just a pet without a Ranger?

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

…The solution of having pet name on client side may not work when its laggy culling can still be an issue at time but namely always show because it server side….

Just show the juvenile names to everyone else in WvW then. Easy.

Huh, what about how the article is down on TTH, what is going on for that to happen? lol

This is becoming a big news story…

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)