The "Can't Catch Me" Ranger Build

in Ranger

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

lol, I was looking through the forums and one post interested me, so I went and made 2 builds with “extreme kiting” in mind

link to the builds:

Crippling Ranger
- (5% condi duration wasted in this version, however, if I take it off, i’d have 95%…so i’d rather keep the extra 5 haha. this is the crippling version of the build, no one you fight will be able to catch you… or run away :]…)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQNAV8YjEq0yaBLesw1ag8ga5DEAtPit9HeGHlbBraA-T1yAABYoEEhDCgM6GA4CAw1+DOY+D6HAQNaY24IAInyPfU/hUAwssC-w

That Scary Ranger
- (near permanent cripple uptime on your target, moment of clarity to extend fear durations from runes by a lot, combined with drakehound and wolf, you will be a pain to fight…however, the main difference with this version is that there is a lot less “passive” cripple application and slightly longer cooldowns on your pets, and slightly lower healing power)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQNAV8YjEq0yaBLesw1aAAhaVA0OHa2Ygd+mBXQBraA-T1yAABYoEEhDCgM6GA4CAw1+DOY+D6HAQNaY24IAInyPfU/hUAwssC-w

near to permanent cripples, knockdowns, immobilizes, fears, etc. etc.

20k health, 2.6k armor, 1.3k condi dmg (1.5k with stacks), 105% condi duration, 25% movement speed, and 2 disengages (lightning reflexes and sword 2 (if used again, its another disengage/engage))

you can use spiders to achieve near 5 second immobilizes (as well as 10+ seconds of cripple if you are using the crippling version)

drakehound and wolf can immobilize/fear for 3 seconds on f2 (as well as cripple for 10+ seconds each if you are using the crippling version)

if you are using the scary version, you also have a chance to proc an 8 second fear from the runes, with which you have somewhat large window to pewpew your target in the back for more bleeds

haha, have fun,
S H A D O W

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

(edited by shadowpass.4236)

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Might want to rework the build a bit.
1. Tooltip is wrong. Fear and Immobilize from the canines (with Malicious Training) is capped at 3s, your personal stats do not affect your pets. Likewise, each immobilize from spiders is capped at kitten (I don’t know why four-point-five seconds got censored).
2. Condition duration is capped at 100%, the extra 5% is wasted.

in Ranger

Posted by: Klonko.8341

Klonko.8341

Or you can just equip GS + S/X and be as fast as a GS + S/H warrior…

Raining Rainbows lvl 80 ranger ~~~~~ SBI server

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

ah, alright, well, it still works, its just not as effective as the build editor makes it seem xD

lol. 30 seconds of immobilize = OP

in Ranger

kiwituatara.6053

I’d also take off Predator’s Instinct. You’ve got plenty of fast re-applying cripple already.

I’ve got a 10/30/30 CC build. If you take Moment of Clarity + Nightmare Runes, the proced Fear can last for 8s, you can couple that with 6s of daze if you’ve got an Asura ranger.

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

moment of clarity extends fear duration?

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

moment of clarity extends fear duration?

Shhhh not so loud.
But yes, it ws a bug. But now there is no need to fix it as now fear is an interrupt like stun/daze.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Yes it does.

Forage’d Boar items don’t have any cap on CC also and one of them is 4.5 second fear which you can extend by 200% and is spreadable by Necromancer, proccing Terror.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

I remember something about fear being capped at 8s per application

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

kiwituatara.6053

I remember something about fear being capped at 8s per application

8s cap on the Rune of Nightmare. Boar/Warthog Skull Fear caps at 12s.

(Fear duration) x (Moment of Clarity) x (Condition duration) = Total duration

Fear duration: default fear duration
Moment of clarity = x2
Condition duration = capped at 100%

Actually, I don’t know if Rune of Mesmer and Sigil of Paralyzation affects fear or not. You might be able to extend it a little further.

in Ranger

kiwituatara.6053

Question. Since I don’t know much about Necromancers.

If a Ranger applies 8s of Fear on target, and a friendly Necromancer casts Epidemic on target. Will the spreaded Fear be 8s as well?

in Ranger

Rym.1469

^There’s absolutely no cap on Boar’s dropped items. Bone and rock are fully affected by the new Paralyzation sigils also.
If you could extend Fear duration past 200% it would be longer.

As I said, I’m not quite sure if personal Necro’s fear duration affects spreaded fear, adding duration (but as far as I remember it doesn’t) but it spreads the full duration of all conditions with Epidemic.

Fun thing is, if you have couple targets you can spread the same fear couple times off different targets, getting some seriously long perma-fears. Just bring two-three necros with Master of Corruption.

Me and my guildie were trolling people in WvW like that, keeping them CC’d forever. I believe the thread I made it couple months ago after this discovery is still there, somewhere on forums.

in Ranger

kiwituatara.6053

^There’s absolutely no cap on Boar’s dropped items. Bone and rock are fully affected by the new Paralyzation sigils also.

As I said, I’m not quite sure if personal Necro’s fear duration affects spreaded fear, adding duration (but as far as I remember it doesn’t) but it spreads the full duration of all conditions with Epidemic.

Fun thing is, if you have couple targets you can spread the same fear couple times off different targets, getting some seriously long perma-fears. Just bring two-three necros with Master of Corruption.

Me and my guildie were trolling people in WvW like that, keeping them CC’d forever. I believe the thread I made it couple months ago after this discovery is still there, somewhere on forums.

The condition duration is capped at 100%, I don’t think hard-CC duration is, so if you are able to extend your hard-CC duration, then yea over 200% XD

I enjoyed trolling with boar/warthog too, but that RNG and having to pick up items. I also find that if you move around while F2ing, it interrupts your pet and they won’t drop the item (not sure if that still happens after patch). I find Nightmare Runes a little more reliable as it usually procs during the first few hits, but the cooldown is quite long, the fear is only single target and it doesn’t last as long.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lace.9472

Lace.9472

Is there a trick to getting the Great Sword 3 leap to always go forward and ignore targets (even if you don’t have a target selected by mouse) ?

in Ranger

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

Is there a trick to getting the Great Sword 3 leap to always go forward and ignore targets (even if you don’t have a target selected by mouse) ?

In settings, turn off auto-target on attack. You’ll need to manually target people, but it makes gs 3 and sword 2 great for escaping fights.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

in Ranger

Posted by: grayskull.2367

grayskull.2367

So im running the fear build now its just to good we are talking an 8s fear from player hiting you lol and a 3sec fear from the wolf.

Ive been playing this in pvp and people just cant kill me its so good at avoiding damage team with the silly amount of condition damage you do its a beast.

here my build for wvw im working on.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQJAVTjMqUwa/KOsQ1aA/gYZRQz2b2TdblsilA-TlSEABKoE0p9HSRXAAm/G4CAI8TA4IlfnohBH1fY4QAQKAY2VB-w

in Ranger

psizone.8437

So im running the fear build now its just to good we are talking an 8s fear from player hiting you lol and a 3sec fear from the wolf.

Ive been playing this in pvp and people just cant kill me its so good at avoiding damage team with the silly amount of condition damage you do its a beast.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQJAVTjMqUwa/KOsQ1aA/gYZRQz2b2TdblsilA-TlSEABKoE0p9HSRXAAm/G4CAI8TA4IlfnohBH1fY4QAQKAY2VB-w

You’ll be more potent in a fight using sword or axe mainhand and dagger or torch offhand instead of longbow since you’re using dire stats. Longbow is a power weapon and hits like a wet tissue if you’re equipped with condition gear.

in Ranger

Posted by: epborden.7492

epborden.7492

Wow, 26k armor, I am definitely using this build!

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

You’ll be more potent in a fight using sword or axe mainhand and dagger or torch offhand instead of longbow since you’re using dire stats. Longbow is a power weapon and hits like a wet tissue if you’re equipped with condition gear.

I don’t think that has to be true. The so called condition weapon has a 2.5 sec poison every 9 seconds and a bleed every 12 seconds. Unless you are lucky enough to be behind someone.

Sharpening Stone, Keen Edge, Torment+bleeds on crit (25% crit chance is fine) and you are doing ok. Not to mention the added 600-900 range depending on how you spec. Don’t matter how much a condition weapon it is if your target is out of range.

Ironically enough just had a condition fight vs another Ranger a couple of days ago. He had SB and I had LB. I rarely got hit.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

psizone.8437

I don’t think that has to be true. The so called condition weapon has a 2.5 sec poison every 9 seconds and a bleed every 12 seconds. Unless you are lucky enough to be behind someone.

Sharpening Stone, Keen Edge, Torment+bleeds on crit (25% crit chance is fine) and you are doing ok. Not to mention the added 600-900 range depending on how you spec. Don’t matter how much a condition weapon it is if your target is out of range.

Ironically enough just had a condition fight vs another Ranger a couple of days ago. He had SB and I had LB. I rarely got hit.

I never mentioned the shortbow, but he was using the shortbow alongside a fear build, so the enemy will be showing his back a fair bit during the fight. The bleed also hits from the side, too.

Hitting the enemy and doing damage is another thing, though. When using dire stats, the longbow does very little damage compared to using the weapons I suggested. The longbows damage scales with power, if you don’t have power as a stat on any of your equipment, there’s little reason to use it.
You can’t rely on critical hits to do your damage via sigils since his build has a 20% crit chance, his build also isn’t using sharpening stone, but if he was then that would be 5 stacks of bleeding every 45 seconds, same for keen edge. Completely outclassed by the weapons I suggested which offer a mix of permanent poison upkeep, chilled, weakness, cripple, bleeding and burning.

(edited by psizone.8437)

in Ranger

Posted by: grayskull.2367

grayskull.2367

the resion to use the LB is for the rapid fire and point blank shot not forget when some one is feared for 8s and running away i can switch to longbow triggering poison and rapid fire then im the back of the head this kill most people .

group fight the barrage is a must

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

I never mentioned the shortbow, but he was using the shortbow alongside a fear build, so the enemy will be showing his back a fair bit during the fight. The bleed also hits from the side, too.

Hitting the enemy and doing damage is another thing, though. When using dire stats, the longbow does very little damage compared to using the weapons I suggested. The longbows damage scales with power, if you don’t have power as a stat on any of your equipment, there’s little reason to use it.
You can’t rely on critical hits to do your damage via sigils since his build has a 20% crit chance, his build also isn’t using sharpening stone, but if he was then that would be 5 stacks of bleeding every 45 seconds, same for keen edge. Completely outclassed by the weapons I suggested which offer a mix of permanent poison upkeep, chilled, weakness, cripple, bleeding and burning.

WvW doesn’t happen in a vacuum. In a perfect world I completely agree with you on your weapon choices. Sometimes it’s kinda cool to be able to start fights from a long ways off. Tenderize the steak so to speak. Another perk is you likely aren’t getting hit while doing that damage.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

psizone.8437

WvW doesn’t happen in a vacuum. In a perfect world I completely agree with you on your weapon choices. Sometimes it’s kinda cool to be able to start fights from a long ways off. Tenderize the steak so to speak. Another perk is you likely aren’t getting hit while doing that damage.

Yeah I suppose it would be fun, but I’d probably go full power damage if I wanted to avoid direct confrontation to guarantee that the enemy dies in the distance, but you’re not always the initiator of the fight and the evades of the sword and dagger are amazing for avoiding damage, especially the daggers 1 and 1/4th second evade. Also, sword 2 can give you a break from fighting if you time it right, giving you time to reset or run away.

Grayskull, it just seems like the way you’re using the longbow is too reliant on the fear not being cancelled and the enemy not dodging your rapid fire, if that happens you have to wait 90 seconds for that burst to cool down. That said, if it’s working for you, then it’s not my place to say otherwise!

in Ranger

Rym.1469

The condition duration is capped at 100%, I don’t think hard-CC duration is, so if you are able to extend your hard-CC duration, then yea over 200% XD

I enjoyed trolling with boar/warthog too, but that RNG and having to pick up items. I also find that if you move around while F2ing, it interrupts your pet and they won’t drop the item (not sure if that still happens after patch). I find Nightmare Runes a little more reliable as it usually procs during the first few hits, but the cooldown is quite long, the fear is only single target and it doesn’t last as long.

I mean, Condition duration for fear which involves MoC (does stack) and condi duration. I have never really tested Runes of the Necromancer though which increase your fear duration by 20% and could maybe go over the cap, since it’s applied for one condition only.

I’ve been constantly trolling people with 30/30/x build couple months ago on WvW and in PvP duelling.
Just make sure they use stun break on one of your “low” CCs like Hilt Bash or Concussive, then you can really go wild with other CCs plus foraged items, Boars’ KD (3 sec, but requires close range and some slow probably), Technobabble, Wolf.
People even report you for cheating.

in Ranger

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

I met a ranger with this playstyle (sword/dagger + shortbow with spider/wolf) the other day – without my speed runes on to make it extra sad. I was very impressed, and could not disengage or engage properly. Made me want to gather a condi setup on mine, which I haven’t had the time to do yet.

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

minor fixes, added the scary version :]

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

@amethyst

heh, its a fun playstyle to have, imo, regen rangers are too easy to play, you will never lose a 1v1 if you have the slightest idea of what ur doing, glass cannon really isn’t my thing on ranger, haha, you can get like 1 shotted by a gc thief if fire and air sigils both proc when he mugs you… and yeah, power rangers and these types of builds are my favorite type to play

in Ranger

Posted by: Lace.9472

Lace.9472

I am looking forward to testing this.
I’m quite comfortable spamming my GS 3 skill to leap around WvW.
But is there a trick to doing the SW 2 skill?
e.g. If I am running away from a nasty zerg with smoke coming out their noses
Would I attempt to turn and face them, then use the 2, then turn around again and use 2 again?
If so, is there a trick from you regulars on how to do this well/quick?

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

pretty much what I do ^, I turn with the mouse so…

although some people keybind about face (idk if that’s the exact name for it), which turns ur character around, I like to stick with my mouse

just make sure that when u do this, u don’t have a target selected