The Problem with Attacking on top of Walls

in Ranger

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

In wvw if you’re attacking on top of a wall/keep at enemies down below, your pet just sits there and does nothing. Your pet is supposed to be an extension of yourself and is meant to deal a large portion of the damage that you yourself would otherwise do alone. So why doesn’t he have the AI that would allow him to run down the stairs and outside, attacking foes that you are aiming at with your bow? This is very frustrating, considering that no other class has this problem.

in Ranger

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

that’s because there is no direct way for the pet to get to them as they cant run through doors

the only work around is using “guard” to throw your pet down there or use a ranged pet (that will probably fire at the floor instead)

(edited by Flubble.8093)

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

that’s because there is no direct way for the pet to get to them as they cant run through doors

the only work around is using “guard” to throw your pet down there or use a ranged pet (that will probably fire at the floor instead)

^What this person said. As a PvE example, I’ve taken to using Guard in the uncategorized Fractal jumping segments.

in Ranger

Posted by: FireRunner.9481

FireRunner.9481

In wvw if you’re attacking on top of a wall/keep at enemies down below, your pet just sits there and does nothing. Your pet is supposed to be an extension of yourself and is meant to deal a large portion of the damage that you yourself would otherwise do alone. So why doesn’t he have the AI that would allow him to run down the stairs and outside, attacking foes that you are aiming at with your bow? This is very frustrating, considering that no other class has this problem.

Welcome to why Rangers are gimped. I was discussing the Ranger issues with my friend who’s a thief. He didn’t understand why Rangers had issues. His solution was “just respec your traits”. I laughed. Some classes just don’t realize how gimped the Ranger is.

1. It’s the slowest class, which makes zero sense.
2. In PvP it’s one of the lower end classes of DPS.
3. It has zero escape skills.
4. The traits available are laughable. Out of all of them maybe 3-4 are useful.
5 .The slots skills are almost as bad as traits. Only 3-4 are worth it. The rest are trash.

Welcome to the world of Rangers. My guild of 400+ had a roll call of mains the other night. I was the ONLY Ranger (left).

80 Asura Ranger – Commander

in Ranger

Posted by: Luriyu.6873

Luriyu.6873

1. It’s the slowest class, which makes zero sense.
2. In PvP it’s one of the lower end classes of DPS.
3. It has zero escape skills.
4. The traits available are laughable. Out of all of them maybe 3-4 are useful.
5 .The slots skills are almost as bad as traits. Only 3-4 are worth it. The rest are trash.

1. not really, if you run signet of wild you’re base speed is still faster then most classes. i can fly across w3 using a s/w+gs. it’s running away from thieves which is a problem. learn how to do a swiftness tripple leap (using sword to jump twice, and then gs charge). in spvp, if people are running ranged, you use block with a gs and run as far as possible and then swoop when the timer’s done.
2. true
3. not entirely true. you’ll be chased but it’s fun to be hunted. i love leading a party of lowbies on a journey around the borderlands. i know almost all the safe jump spots, shortcuts, etc. if the class’ escape skills are not doing it for you then work really hard to find a roundabout way of increasing your personal running away skills.
4. can you expand which one’s are the one’s you like?
5,. can you expand on which one’s are the one’s you like?

in Ranger

Posted by: Cole Winters.2764

Cole Winters.2764

1. It certainly feels the slowest, especially when you have swiftness activated, but your pet [who trails behind you] is still in range of enemy abilities and in the course of being struck – forces you into “combat” which then slows you down to a crawl regardless of swiftness. If a foe can strike your pet, they can prevent your escape.

2. No argument here!

3. I can’t catch people I am trying to chase, and I can’t escape people who want to chase me. This results in a “wtf” moment, staring at my defeated corpse on the ground…wondering why I can’t outrun anything.

4. I don’t have a huge problem with the traits, with the exception that with the current End-game Meta, many of the traits are not viable. You have to chose from a narrow scope of “acceptable” traits if you want to be -remotely- effective.

5. The Spirits.
Storm Spirit, Sun Spirit, Frost Spirit, Stone Spirit, Spirit of Nature[Elite], Summon Druid Spirit[Elite]

Spirits are rarely used at level 80 play, because they are weak and lack durability. They melt to AOE, and a dead spirit is a wasted utility. Furthermore, it forces you to trait specifically with them in mind, or they are stationary, and do not move with you. In this way, they are worse than even the Necromancers minions, with AOE actives that are insignifigant.

The Pet Shouts.
“Sick Em”, “Protect Me”, “Guard”, “Search and Rescue”

Besides a buggy/poor AI system for the pets in general, these abilties really don’t do enough to justify taking up a slot on the bar. Especially considering the range limitations on some of them. The pet is such an unreliable source of damage for the ranger in Fractals/Dungeon boss fights, these skills cannot be relied upon.

The Signets.
Signets of Renewal, The Hunt, The Wild, of Stone.

Though recently buffed, these signets provide a passive perk to the ranger [which isn’t terrible in some cases] but is still somewhat bland. The actives apply to your pet, which again poor Ai aside, can be nice…especially if you use the trait tree to make the active’s apply to you as well. As such, these are not “unusable”..but not the best.

The Traps:
Flame, Snake, Frost, Spike, Mud

These are playable in the condition build, and can be used in the right situations. Really great in PVE, but useless against fights like Jade Maw.

The Bread and Butter for Rangers [Most valuable/Earn their place.]
Lightning Reflexes [Our only real Stun breaker]
Quickening Zephyr [If only we had more skills like this one.]
Sharpening Stone [It’s better than most alternatives!]

Our Only Real Elite options:
Rampage as One
Entangle

in Ranger

Posted by: cuasilk.6927

cuasilk.6927

1. It certainly feels the slowest, especially when you have swiftness activated, but your pet [who trails behind you] is still in range of enemy abilities and in the course of being struck – forces you into “combat” which then slows you down to a crawl regardless of swiftness. If a foe can strike your pet, they can prevent your escape.

You only enter combat mode when your pet attacks, not when it receives damage, so if you set it in passive you won’t enter combat mode.

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Sick Em,Guard,Search and Rescue,Protect Me are all used in certain ways in this ame.

S&R is the only one you really probably won’t touch in PvP, it’s more of a PVE ability.

The abilities we don’t use though are our Spirits, which honestly should of be fixed by now…That’s 4 abilities and entire Line that doesn’t see use past 15 points because of those 4 abilities.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in Ranger

Posted by: Siobhan.3582

Siobhan.3582

Just use guard. When in a tower, I swap that out over another trait.

Works fine and only 30 sec cooldown.

Drop a drake and hit f2 and watch the numbers pile up. Hit your regen few seconds after you send him down via guard and enjoy

That one person.

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

Drop a drake and hit f2 and watch the numbers pile up. Hit your regen few seconds after you send him down via guard and enjoy

Yeap, I switch to Guard when inside a keep, or attacking a keep, just to harass the enemy and kill siege.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Yeap, I switch to Guard when inside a keep, or attacking a keep, just to harass the enemy and kill siege.

This I run “Sick’Em” outside of that scenario though, nothing says “kitten you!” Like Sick’Em + QZ or hell Sick"em by itself makes your pet the fastest thing in the game, which allows it to catch up and KD (I use canines) anything you deem fit.

I’d only say spirits are “lack luster” out of all o the utilities, are they bad? Far from it! But they -could- be better

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

This is another example of rangers knowing what skill are at thier disposal. Guard is a great skill for getting you pets to attack as mentioned. Spirits die farely fast but you can place them while you are on a wall or keep a little bit back so the dont take damage and still get the effects. Most rangers from gw1 know you need to place them out of the way.

For the most part ranger skills are fine its how some rangers attempt to use them that cause the problem.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

group of rangers in a fort getting attacked

“Guard” your pet inside the fort
run out the door together for a suicide attack
“Protect Me” for a few seconds of invincibility :P
turn into norn bears for even more fun

i don’t know if this works but it sounds like fun :P

in Ranger

Posted by: sammer thrones.7860

sammer thrones.7860

ok i dnt know what u mean the rangers has no dps i am in guild of 150 and i am one of the high dps what we got u jst have not done it right m8 i use 30/25/15/0/0 with LB and axe/warhorn and i kill most classas and on the wall i dnt need my pet because i kill them 2 qicker for my pet do do evny thing abort it

in Ranger

Posted by: Daze.6914

Daze.6914

Oh my god, I had not realized that!
I was just about to create a new topic in order to complain about the frequent feeling of moving in “slow motion” in wvw (I have a Norn ranger).
In fact, even with the SoH I am almost always let behind by my group, being passed by people who even’t have a speed buff when I have…
Now I know why, they are the mobs who attack my pet slowing me at the same time.
I really hope they will do something about that as that’s the only real thing that annoy me with my ranger.

War Inc. Community [WIC]
Far Shiverpeaks
GW2 WvW - GW2 Gem Price

in Ranger

Posted by: Yanut.9834

Yanut.9834

I realize that this is off topic from OP but the solution to this is the stow pet feature when runnning from point point

Oh my god, I had not realized that!
I was just about to create a new topic in order to complain about the frequent feeling of moving in “slow motion” in wvw (I have a Norn ranger).
In fact, even with the SoH I am almost always let behind by my group, being passed by people who even’t have a speed buff when I have…
Now I know why, they are the mobs who attack my pet slowing me at the same time.
I really hope they will do something about that as that’s the only real thing that annoy me with my ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

How about they make guard a new f3 skill, seriously seems pointless to be a shout. Its the only way to make pets offensively viable for a longbow ranger sniping.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tynee.9427

Tynee.9427

Why do range pets not attack from the walls? I can understand melee pets kinda, but birds and range pets should be able to assist with dps. It’s part of our class and makes no sense. Another option would be give us increased damage from heights to make up for loss dps with pets. Happens in FOTM as well, killing harpies and my pet just stands there and watches

I shouldn’t have to give up a place on bar for my pets to function properly.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Ranged pets have a shorter range and birds are consider melee not ranged (they phyically hit foes). Its not that hard to switch your skill once you enter the tower or keep or whatever because you should be out of combat.

We dont need more commands becuase it seems to me people are having a hard time using the commands that are already there.

I realize alot of people are from wow and are usesto having a script to do and tell you everything.

Part of being a skilled palyer is knowing when to or not to do something. Some ranger are starting to use pets to assasinate foes that are inside keeps and towers. While others have always known and do not use this tactic becuase its not a play stlye they enjoy. Then we have some who cant figure out how to attack foes with thier pets out side of a tower. Really! Really!

I think Some of us rangers need to sit down and fully explore what rangers can do before we start comparing them to other classes.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

How about they make guard a new f3 skill, seriously seems pointless to be a shout. Its the only way to make pets offensively viable for a longbow ranger sniping.

I liked the idea someone from another thread had about being able to temporarily stow your pet for a passive buff. I’m thinking something along the lines of a “Become The …” and you get a passive bonus based on which pet you stowed. Pet disappears, you absorb its energy, get a passive boost like swiftness from your Raven or +precision from your Jaguar, etc. You could use it like a CD if your build works like that or just when your pet is getting you into trouble or can’t reach the enemy. Couldn’t be kept up indefinitely for those “i want a petless ranger” people but would solve the issue of being gimped due to our constant reliance on our pets. Not to mention it could be really fun synergizing which pets you want for their F2 skills and which you want for their “infusion” bonus.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Ranger

Tynee.9427

No other class using a range weapon has to switch thier traits to be able to fully use their dps on a keep wall. Why should I give up qz, sharpening stone or another ability to have the same dps every other class has? Does a warrior carrying a rifle have to go out of combat and switch traits to make his F1 abitlity work? If my pet has 900 range and the enemy is in range he should attack every time. Guard should be an option to put melee pets on wall but not the only option to use my pets. It’s not about knowing the class but class mechanics working correctly.

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

No other class using a range weapon has to switch thier traits to be able to fully use their dps on a keep wall. Why should I give up qz, sharpening stone or another ability to have the same dps every other class has? Does a warrior carrying a rifle have to go out of combat and switch traits to make his F1 abitlity work? If my pet has 900 range and the enemy is in range he should attack every time. Guard should be an option to put melee pets on wall but not the only option to use my pets. It’s not about knowing the class but class mechanics working correctly.

No other class has like 3k Range and the ability to stand outside of LoS to do damage either.

in Ranger

Tynee.9427

[
No other class has like 3k Range and the ability to stand outside of LoS to do damage either.

[/quote]

hmm I have eagle eye for extra range and only get 1500 range. Please tell me how to get 3k range.

in Ranger

Posted by: urdriel.8496

urdriel.8496

outside of LoS to do damage either.

You are talking about thieves, no?

in Ranger

Posted by: fivekiller.1432

fivekiller.1432

outside of LoS to do damage either.

You are talking about thieves, no?

agh.. i was going to guess elementalist!
they too can attack things directly without LOS. they just need a target.

-Desirz Matheon

in Ranger

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

If only we could have pets that could fly. In all seriousness, it’s a little ridiculous that the raven / eagle can’t fly off of walls or fly up to them.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

in Ranger

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Either you know something most rangers don’t and really would love to, or you just made your own ignorance very clear.

But please, how do we get 3k range again? Personally I can only get 1.5k. I’d love to have the same range as a Balista! Go on.

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

Easiest way around this ‘problem’ is the Beast Master ranger build, which is especially effective in WvW. Put 0/0/30/10/30 on your traits, all the traits aiming towards pet damage, toughness and reduction on pet skills/shouts. Use felines and canines as your pets (my personal opinion on pet choice). Put ‘troll unguent’, ‘guard’, ‘sick em’, ‘quickening zephir’ and ‘root’ as your skills. Keep short-bow and sword with your preferred second hand weapon.

Stuck inside a castle? aim ‘guard’ down to where your enemies are, watch your pet get both invisibility and protection buffs, send it to attack the most distracted enemy. Right then, use sick em / quickening zephir and watch it efficiently kill them. If it did not kill them it surely hit them hard enough to get them popping their heals, asking for help, running around. If they or anyone starts to kill your pet: use troll unguent and if you get good at it, you will keep your pet alive long enough to use sick em/quickening zephir again.

Stuck outside a castle and can’t send your pet to attack the defenders? Worry no more, use the above strategy only aim ‘guard’ to the top of the wall. Be aware that pet often will try to attack the wall, so use ‘guard’ away from the wall, as long as your pet is inside the keep, you will kill anything that’s inside as well.

Big battle out in the open? Guess what.. send your pet in for you, be the spotter in your group, watch that enemy you selected drop to the ground, send yourself and your friends in for the kill.

An enemy commander is leading a charge against you? Good! you have lots of toughness and survivability compared to your glass cannon companions. Send your pet in to make that commander think twice, run around and away from your pet, watch the enemy mob get confused and your friends get organized to strike back.

Stuck on 1v1 battles? keep your pet close to you and make that enemy think you are weak, big mistake. Enjoy it!

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

Posted by: Taruvoyant.4318

Taruvoyant.4318

If only we could have pets that could fly. In all seriousness, it’s a little ridiculous that the raven / eagle can’t fly off of walls or fly up to them.

My favorite is when I fall off a ledge and take damage, then look over at my eagle and see that he fell off and took damage as well. Silly bird, you can fly.

80 Human Ranger
Crystal Desert
Rough Trade [RTGC]

in Ranger

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

Really, my pet has no problem getting to me when I jump over a keep wall to run someone down.

Edit: Here is what I propose, a “pet door” be installed in every keep accross the realm allowing pets to slither, crawl, fly, gallop, trot, meander out of all the keeps acrross the realm. Of course these doors would have to be ONE WAY doors, wouldn’t want other realm pets coming INTO our keeps.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

(edited by NargofWoV.4267)

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

I liked the idea someone from another thread had about being able to temporarily stow your pet for a passive buff. I’m thinking something along the lines of a “Become The …” and you get a passive bonus based on which pet you stowed. Pet disappears, you absorb its energy, get a passive boost like swiftness from your Raven or +precision from your Jaguar, etc. You could use it like a CD if your build works like that or just when your pet is getting you into trouble or can’t reach the enemy. Couldn’t be kept up indefinitely for those “i want a petless ranger” people but would solve the issue of being gimped due to our constant reliance on our pets. Not to mention it could be really fun synergizing which pets you want for their F2 skills and which you want for their “infusion” bonus.

Yea the perma stow with a damage buff was my idea a month or 2 back, it got laughed at until people started realizing how crap pets are in pvp unless you trait for it. I am bored of my ranger, cant stand seeing pet die too a 100b warrior so easily, so Im gonna lvl up rifle warrior and wait for ESO and neverwinter to come out.

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

Either you know something most rangers don’t and really would love to, or you just made your own ignorance very clear.

But please, how do we get 3k range again? Personally I can only get 1.5k. I’d love to have the same range as a Balista! Go on.

Watch my Natures Ninja videos

Our Pets basically have 3k clip range…I’ve personally sent mine outside of keeps to attack siege when we didn’t have any…You can do this basically over and over again and they can’t do anything about it.

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

Our Pets basically have 3k clip range…I’ve personally sent mine outside of keeps to attack siege when we didn’t have any…You can do this basically over and over again and they can’t do anything about it.

yes, they can, kill your pet, and we will have a nice 60 cd….

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

Don’t let your pet die?

Between the Heals and Pet Swap, It doesn’t happen that often.

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

Don’t let your pet die?

hahahaha, a pèt is instadeath the second time you send him to kill siege machines, if enemies are not stupids.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Don’t let your pet die?

hahahaha, a pèt is instadeath the second time you send him to kill siege machines, if enemies are not stupids.

Um, no? I’ve sent my pet in to kill siege many a times.. Maybe if you’re running a kittening cat with 0 points in BM you can’t, but with just about any other pet you can!

PS: it’s apparent you don’t use guard, the CD isn’t 60s

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

Don’t let your pet die?

Um, no? I’ve sent my pet in to kill siege many a times.. Maybe if you’re running a kittening cat with 0 points in BM you can’t, but with just about any other pet you can!

Difference between youe cat and my cat, 300stat, 2 hit more to die…..ofc i can send my pet to kill siege, but if you have 40 foes near , your pet will die really fast.

seems that you fight against brainless people……

PS: You have 60 cd, when your PET DIE, i never said nothing about guard :P.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Don’t let your pet die?

Difference between youe cat and my cat, 300stat, 2 hit more to die…..ofc i can send my pet to kill siege, but if you have 40 foes near , your pet will die really fast.

seems that you fight against brainless people……

PS: You have 60 cd, when your PET DIE, i never said nothing about guard :P.

Why are you letting your pet die? If your pet is being mauled while he’s surrounded by 40 people just hit F4, no harm, no foul. And most of the Zerg in WvW -is- mindless and they will almost always ignore pets and only hope to kill them via AoE. And my bad, i thought you were complaining about guard being on CD xD, i have 30 points in BM so my pet swapping CD is shorter than yours (more like a 50s CD).

PS: Don’t even bring that “Oh well if you played on tier blah blah blah” bull kitten in here, i’m on T2 WvW, i know how the higher up people play, and they’re -still- kittening stupid.

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

I play on T1 PvP, and unless you intend on just flat out zerging my pet..1 person, even 2 will not bring it down before I pet swap usually…. I won’t lie and say it’s not possible… But if you’re not speccing 30 into BM, don’t kitten about your pet sucking..

Also the difference between your pet having 300 toughness/vit is actually fairly huge….Hell it’s major even on a player in terms of survivability.

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

I play on T1 PvP, and unless you intend on just flat out zerging my pet..1 person, even 2 will not bring it down before I pet swap usually…. I won’t lie and say it’s not possible… But if you’re not speccing 30 into BM, don’t kitten about your pet sucking..

Also the difference between your pet having 300 toughness/vit is actually fairly huge….Hell it’s major even on a player in terms of survivability.

We are talking about W3, i tried with 30 in BM, and it is true that pet had more survivality but, the diference was 3-4 secs (2-3 hits).

Dunno in Spvp, but inW3, pet need a damage mitigation.

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

We are talking about W3, i tried with 30 in BM, and it is true that pet had more survivality but, the diference was 3-4 secs (2-3 hits).

I don’t SPvP, i W3…hence why all my videos are of that.

T1 was referring to Tier 1

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

I know that T1 is tier 1, and as i said, im talking about W3,

(edited by urdriel.8496)

in Ranger

Posted by: Torguish.4786

Torguish.4786

Give bird pets the ability to fly up to those enemies. THEY ARE BIRDS kitten

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

ehh..

Tier 1 is SoS/Stormbluff/Jade Quarry.. in otherwords…the top World vs World servers

so yea…

in Ranger

Posted by: Meryt.9823

Meryt.9823

Logically ,bird pets ought to be able to attack ground from walls or attack defenders on same.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

ehh..

Tier 1 is SoS/Stormbluff/Jade Quarry.. in otherwords…the top World vs World servers

so yea…

W3 tiers are about QUANTITY, NOT QUALITY.

You can win battles with quality, but you will never win the war.

in Ranger

Posted by: Meryt.9823

Meryt.9823

SFR do! 2:1 in 3 weeks T1

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

SFR do! 2:1 in 3 weeks T1

As far as i know (by forums) SFR have a nice amount of WvW players.

in Ranger

Posted by: darkcut.6908

darkcut.6908

if the land based pets like dog cat drake moas cant fight on the walls how about the birds they fly so whats stoping them from flying up there and atacking them there there shold be nothing stoping them, so thats my thought how about anyone else WHO IS A RANGER .

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

not gonna counter all the noobs in this thread, but the ranger is far from gimped. in fact, ranger is really well off in both wvw and tpvp.

i do agree though that we shouldnt have to equip guard for the pet to climb walls or exit the keep. that being said, guard can be pretty OP, as i can set my panther into a keep and shred a squishy without lifting a finger.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ