The Ranger and range

The Ranger and range

in Ranger

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Warriors are the fastest profession in the game. They can gap close or escape a fight in seconds. As a Ranger, you want to have range between you and your target. Therefore, I believe Signet Of The Hunt should be 30% speed increase instead of 25% allowing us to more easily keep range between ourselves and our targets. As is, a Thief or a Warrior can cross a pretty large gap a lot more quickly than we can. Forcing the majority of Rangers to not use bows at all, which is supposed to be one of the defining features of the profession.
On that topic, please buff bow damage. It doesn’t need to be significant, but it does need a bit of a push. DPSing your foe down with Long Range Shot is not particularly viable. You have to rely almost completely on Rapid Fire, using it every time it’s not on cooldown. Long Range Shot is still a good attack, it just doesn’t hit hard enough for it to be your primary attack skill with the bow.
Please remove the trait “Agility Training” and replace it with something more useful. Pets move at the same pace as their master whether they have swiftness or not. This trait is 100% pointless.
And lastly, again on the subject of keeping distance between yourself and your foe, it would be nice for Point Blank Shot to either a) have a shorter cooldown or b) keep the enemy on the ground for a longer duration. As is, it only allows a very temporary breath in combat before your enemy is back on top of you. It’s an extremely useful skill, but because of how quickly your enemy can recover from the knockback, it’s only a very minor setback for your opponent.
And this is just a personal request but; I would love to see Basilisk’s added as a Ranger pet with turning the enemy to stone as their special attack. Thieves have Basilisk venom I want the pet D;

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

The Ranger and range

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

Point Blank Shot is a 900 (1,200) range knockback (400-600) on a 15 (12) second cooldown. It doesn’t really get much better than that, so lowering the cooldown isn’t likely to happen. I have enough time to squeeze off an auto attack and a Hunter’s Shot before my enemy gets up, which I feel is plenty. Hunter’s Shot is going to let you create more space.

The best thing any dedicated longbow ranger can do for themselves is to take Quick Draw and Malicious Training with a jungle spider and either another spider, a wolf, or a drakehound. I prefer wolf, because it pushes enemies back when they get close and it opens their back for a PBS/Hunter’s Shot combo. Also, you might consider slotting Sigil of Ice for more mobility impairment.

It works wonder, I’ve been kiting pretty much every class other than Thief for a very, very long time and it really shines against Necromancers and Engineers who would otherwise eat you alive with conditions if they got close. Thieves just get in free because of shadowsteps, but thankfully having your own stealth and an ability that tracks stealthed enemies makes the longbow a very capable Thief killer.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

The Ranger and range

in Ranger

Posted by: Fext.3614

Fext.3614

Simply put, even a casual player whould be able to do about as much damage on a bow ranger, as a casual player can do on a greatsword warrior. Rangers can hit from distance, warriors have their armor. Oh, thieves have stealth.
Balance restored.

The Ranger and range

in Ranger

Posted by: DanSH.6143

DanSH.6143

Thieves are the fastest/most mobile class in game….

Griften

The Ranger and range

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Point Blank Shot is a 900 (1,200) range knockback (400-600) on a 15 (12) second cooldown. It doesn’t really get much better than that, so lowering the cooldown isn’t likely to happen. I have enough time to squeeze off an auto attack and a Hunter’s Shot before my enemy gets up, which I feel is plenty. Hunter’s Shot is going to let you create more space.

The best thing any dedicated longbow ranger can do for themselves is to take Quick Draw and Malicious Training with a jungle spider and either another spider, a wolf, or a drakehound. I prefer wolf, because it pushes enemies back when they get close and it opens their back for a PBS/Hunter’s Shot combo. Also, you might consider slotting Sigil of Ice for more mobility impairment.

It works wonder, I’ve been kiting pretty much every class other than Thief for a very, very long time and it really shines against Necromancers and Engineers who would otherwise eat you alive with conditions if they got close. Thieves just get in free because of shadowsteps, but thankfully having your own stealth and an ability that tracks stealthed enemies makes the longbow a very capable Thief killer.

So much this, also muddy terrain + barrage is the biggest “kitten you” in the game for someone trying to close the gap, especially if you’re like me and you run dual canines (one of which is a hyena) with sigils of ice and runes of speed.

It’s hilarious watching warriors TRY to close the gap, because as it turns out immob, cripple and chill all kitten up their leaps.

FUN FACT: muddy terrain used on a warrior mid leap immobilizes them and ignores their immob breaking trait since that only happens at the start of the leap.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

The Ranger and range

in Ranger

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

Warriors are the fastest profession in the game.

Stopped reading here cause you’re wrong. Thieves…….

The Ranger and range

in Ranger

Posted by: Bambula.3649

Bambula.3649

nope, thieves are not faster than warriors

Orga for [WUMS]

The Ranger and range

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

nope, thieves are not faster than warriors

Yes they are, they are THE most mobile profession in the game, warriors do not out maneuver thieves.

The Ranger and range

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

Warriors can GS & Sword/Horn their way out of a lot of crappy situations, for sure, but I’ve seen a Thief shadowstep a few thousand units away in the blink of an eye.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

The Ranger and range

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Warriors can GS & Sword/Horn their way out of a lot of crappy situations, for sure, but I’ve seen a Thief shadowstep a few thousand units away in the blink of an eye.

yeah… but unless you’re being Brave Brave Sir Robin that weapon combo is horrible… So says every warrior friend i’ve asked about it!