The Reason Sharpened Edges was Nerfed

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vulture_Stance

Couldn’t have a core ranger major trait outperforming a new elite spec utility skill I guess.

in Ranger

Posted by: Krispera.5087

Krispera.5087

Most likely to be https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sharpen_Spines.

Same argument tho. Gotta use the elite spec to use it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I really hope they merge Tail Wind and Furious Grip and then place SE into the Major Adept slot, it’s hardly worth taking now, especially since it still requires critting, if the crit condition was removed it would be good again.

in Ranger

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

Assuming 50% crit chance and 2 attacks per second you could get 66 ticks of poison from vulture stance every 30 seconds. Under similar circumstances, current sharpened edges would inflict 30 ticks of bleeding from the ranger alone, the old sharpened edges would inflict 60 ticks.

I’m fairly sure we can not only attack faster than 2 hits per second but 50% is a conservative estimate when it comes to crit chance, but more important is that sharpened edges affects our pet too (which is not only more power but…) and may compound on itself while in Soulbeast mode. So the real reason for the nerf may have simply been the engine struggling to handle 133% chance to inflict bleeding on critical.

They could have still just left it at 50%, but every other chance for bleed (or other damaging condition) trait is 33% so… Yay symmetry?

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

in Ranger

Justine.6351

Assuming 50% crit chance and 2 attacks per second you could get 66 ticks of poison from vulture stance every 30 seconds. Under similar circumstances, current sharpened edges would inflict 30 ticks of bleeding from the ranger alone, the old sharpened edges would inflict 60 ticks.

I’m fairly sure we can not only attack faster than 2 hits per second but 50% is a conservative estimate when it comes to crit chance, but more important is that sharpened edges affects our pet too (which is not only more power but…) and may compound on itself while in Soulbeast mode. So the real reason for the nerf may have simply been the engine struggling to handle 133% chance to inflict bleeding on critical.

They could have still just left it at 50%, but every other chance for bleed (or other damaging condition) trait is 33% so… Yay symmetry?

60 stacks of bleed? Did you even play with sharpened edges? ever?

Falls in the category “revenant hammer does 20k CoR every 2sec”…

in Ranger

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

tics, he said tics not stacks. Which is related to the condition duration.

So he count 11 poison stack ticking over 6 seconds = 66 tics. It’s a lot more impressive than saying that the soul beast will be able to stack 11 poison stack thanks to the stance. In group setting, if everything work perfectly it could be something like :
self : 11
+ 4 × 5 stacks (20)
so 31 stacks for 186 tics of poison (awesome don’t you think?)

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

So he count 11 poison stack ticking over 6 seconds = 66 tics. It’s a lot more impressive than saying that the soul beast will be able to stack 11 poison stack thanks to the stance. In group setting, if everything work perfectly it could be something like :
+ 4 × 5 stacks (20)

I don’t think it’s awesome tbh. Spider Venom will give 180 poison ticks with the same cooldown but you have 24s to make 6 attacks, meaning you can pre-cast it in preparation, it is not truncated into making 12 attacks in 6 seconds or 6 attacks in 3 seconds for allies to take full advantage of it. Not only that, but it does not require a GM trait to function. The might applied by Vulture Stance is pretty useless in a group setting.

If it were me, I’d remove the Might generation, the 50% health condition and make the Vulture Stance a unique buff that increases base condition durations for the duration by say 33% or more, as well as applying the poison.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Still makes me wonder how Sharpened Edges works with Soulbeast. It would kind of be funny if the % chance increased back to 66% when fused with the pet.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Everyone keeps comparing culture stance to thief… but do we know how vulture stance works with AoE yet?

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Everyone keeps comparing culture stance to thief… but do we know how vulture stance works with AoE yet?

Not yet. It might work like Thief venoms where it counts as the player dealing the condition damage or granting might (preferable), or it might not and use the allies’ stats instead (such as how Spirits work, which is not preferable).

If it works like the latter, it will be definitely hindered. Also not sure if it’s stackable with multiple Soulbeasts using it in proximity with each other with the shared stance trait. It’s worth bringing up since it’s a unique buff with an ICD interval.

in Ranger

Justine.6351

Not yet. It might work like Thief venoms where it counts as the player dealing the condition damage or granting might (preferable), or it might not and use the allies’ stats instead (such as how Spirits work, which is not preferable).

If it works like the latter, it will be definitely hindered. Also not sure if it’s stackable with multiple Soulbeasts using it in proximity with each other with the shared stance trait. It’s worth bringing up since it’s a unique buff with an ICD interval.

Think he is wondering if the icd is per target or global.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eleazar.9478

Eleazar.9478

That sounds dope, I’m really hyped for the stance sharing trait,

And Justine while I can understand the aggravation to sharp edges trait being nerfed (killed hybrid ranger a bit miss being able to burst people with warhorn 4 was a fun combo wombo)
It’s a trait as apposed to a utitly that kind of competed with sharpened edges the skill.

Sides ws with skirmishing and soul beast looks like it has a shot at being insanely good with condis at least the bleed,poision combo.

[Snky] FC don’t worry I’m just a scrub until I’m OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Was wondering about both honestly, like we don’t know if the ICD is per skill, per target, or for the unique effect (1 might or 1 poison period). Even if the ICD were per skill instead of per target it would make it far better than thieves venom because you could both be applying poison to the kill target and stacking might at the same time.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

If so, by the wording, it seems global. I’ve seen 2 different notes so far on the reveal, akin to what we have now.

The ones like on Vulture Stance reading, “This effect can occur once per interval.” and then there are ones like on Scourge’s Demonic Lore trait that reads, “This trait can only inflict burning on a particular target once every three seconds.”

Right now, it’s just a maybe since it could be changed between now and later.

Edit: As side notes, seems the might on the wiki vulture stance seems bloated by Lingering Magic. Anet’s usually clean with whole numbers when it comes to might duration. Seems likely to be 6s of might, poison, and stance duration.

Anyways, interval does bring up a concern on the early run. Vulture Stance could do without the health threshold so hits poison & grant might together rather than depending; would lessen any issues brought about by cleaving and targeting issues.

(edited by Wondrouswall.7169)

in Ranger

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

+ 4 × 5 stacks (20)

I don’t think it’s awesome tbh. Spider Venom will give 180 poison ticks with the same cooldown but you have 24s to make 6 attacks, meaning you can pre-cast it in preparation, it is not truncated into making 12 attacks in 6 seconds or 6 attacks in 3 seconds for allies to take full advantage of it. Not only that, but it does not require a GM trait to function. The might applied by Vulture Stance is pretty useless in a group setting.

If it were me, I’d remove the Might generation, the 50% health condition and make the Vulture Stance a unique buff that increases base condition durations for the duration by say 33% or more, as well as applying the poison.

that was Irony heimdall… irony!!! The Higher the number the more awesome it feel at first glance.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

…Anyways, interval does bring up a concern on the early run. Vulture Stance could do without the health threshold so hits poison & grant might together rather than depending; would lessen any issues brought about by cleaving and targeting issues.

That would be heaps better.

in Ranger

Justine.6351

…Anyways, interval does bring up a concern on the early run. Vulture Stance could do without the health threshold so hits poison & grant might together rather than depending; would lessen any issues brought about by cleaving and targeting issues.

That would be heaps better.

I think they want to differentiate it from sharpening stone. Which is also why they likely failed to buff sharpening stone the way they should have, 1 stone covering all targets hit by an aoe strike. It would have been monstrous aoe Condi with sharpening stone, sharpended edges, vultures stance and bonfire.