The Thief feels more Rangery than the Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Tharomir.6985

Tharomir.6985

Tl;Dr Do you think the Thief fits the classic Ranger archetype better than the Ranger?

When I think of ranger, I think of the words outdoorsman and hunter (the real life kind, not the WoW kind). In my mind, a ranger is a wilderness expert who are skilled at stalking and tracking their prey, ambushing them with traps and surprise attacks when the moment is right, just as they would hunt an animal. They are skilled with the bow and are agile when fighting up close. They also have a knowledge of poisons and medicines as well as an affinity with animals.

But it seems like this is closer to what the Thief offers, minus the nature theme. To me, a ranger just feels like an archer with a pet.

In my opinion, the “flavor” of the ranger could be greatly improved if they added a few abilities, and possibly changed a few ones.

For example, make the traps a little more unique. right now each one does the same thing, just with a different condition. Thieves get way cooler traps. Also add some poison and tracking abilities and “stalk” ability, that differs from stealth so it’s not a Thief ripoff. Maybe make it toggle-able, where you move slower, but enemies can only detect you if you are in front of them and within a certain range (sounds kinda like WoW stealth now that I think about it, don’t know how much I like that idea anymore.)

I was really hoping for a nature theme, but with traps, poisons, tracking, stalking/hunting and ambushing, but the Ranger seems to offer less of these compared to the Thief.

Since I seriously doubt Anet is going to be using my ideas, and my ideas seem to be going into Thief territory anyways, would it be better just to compromise and reroll a Thief if I want to play the traditional Ranger archetype?

Edit: I just realized I was focusing on the utility skills. The Ranger’s weapon skills do seem more Rangery to me, but not the utility skills. I wish I could play a Ranger with Thief utility skills.

(edited by Tharomir.6985)

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I was thinking about something you mentioned as a utility. 60 second base cooldown. You, your pet and one ally(or without ally) go into stealth for 30 seconds. In stealth, you move 50% slower than base and swiftness/teleport doesn’t work, same like with carrying orb on Spirit tPvP map. Cast time – 3,5 second, requires being stationary. During Camouflage, you may break the stealth by pressing utility button, giving anyone affected by Camouflage +50% damage boost to next attack and 1 second stun.
and qNow this would be pretty much longest stealth avalible in-game. I was thinking about some counterplay, similar to WoW options like when you’re closer to enemy than 100 or 200, they may see you and you’re targetable for like 1.5 second, then your’re going invisible for next 1,5 sec and your’re targetable for next 1,5 sec if still in that range. Base purpose of it? WvWvW, maybe some PvE and tPvP. Really easy to interrupt and you’re very vunerable casting it. However, kind of powerful and fun

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Tharomir.6985

I think I like it better than just copying WoW’s stealth. It would definitely allow us to ambush better. I guess I’ve just always wanted the ability to “hunt” people in WvW in traditional Ranger sense. Stalk them unseen until they are vulnerable and then strike had and fast.

On a totally unrelated note, I think a forage skill, similar to the pets, but better, would be cool. Use your knowledge of herbs and plants and all that.

in Ranger

Posted by: blackgoat.5172

blackgoat.5172

Your Title caught my eye. I find your post interesting because I started in this game as a Thief got to 80 geared him out and just was never happy. I moved on made and Ele got better at the game in general and went back to my Thief with a new outlook. I’m running a pistol build and love it (everyone says pistol’s are bad, I don’t care its fun). Anyway my point is this, I’ve been leveling a Ranger (lvl 45 now) and playing mostly melee because that’s how i want to play it. Ive been blown away because so far the fighting style is what I had wanted out of the Thief .

Káge – 80 Thief / Asháman – 80 Elementalist
Project Mayhem A multigaming, PVx social guild on Dragonbrand
Dragonbrand Community Forums

(edited by blackgoat.5172)

in Ranger

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

Your Title caught my eye. I find your post interesting because I started in this game as a Thief got to 80 geared him out and just was never happy. I moved made and Ele got better at the game in general and went back to my Thief with a new outlook. I’m running a pistol build and love it (everyone says pistol’s are bad, I don’t care its fun). Anyway my point is this, I’ve been leveling a Ranger (lvl 45 now) and playing mostly melee because that’s how i want to play it. Ive been blow away because so far the fighting style is what I had wanted out of the Thief .

Yup, the ranger, melee condition build is a solid build, and the one I’m leaving on my Ranger as I move to a class that is better at the style of ranged play I enjoy. Have fun with it.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

in Ranger

Tharomir.6985

Your Title caught my eye. I find your post interesting because I started in this game as a Thief got to 80 geared him out and just was never happy. I moved on made and Ele got better at the game in general and went back to my Thief with a new outlook. I’m running a pistol build and love it (everyone says pistol’s are bad, I don’t care its fun). Anyway my point is this, I’ve been leveling a Ranger (lvl 45 now) and playing mostly melee because that’s how i want to play it. Ive been blown away because so far the fighting style is what I had wanted out of the Thief .

So you’re saying that the Ranger feel more Thiefy than a Thief? Interesting.

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

So you’re saying that the Ranger feel more Thiefy than a Thief? Interesting.

I suppose he is talking about sword + dagger. It does have a lot of evades, poison and some cripple and bleed as well as leaps backwards and forwards and sidewards.

in Ranger

Posted by: blackgoat.5172

blackgoat.5172

I suppose he is talking about sword + dagger. It does have a lot of evades, poison and some cripple and bleed as well as leaps backwards and forwards and sidewards.

Yes that’s exactly what it is. I should have been more specific

Káge – 80 Thief / Asháman – 80 Elementalist
Project Mayhem A multigaming, PVx social guild on Dragonbrand
Dragonbrand Community Forums

in Ranger

Tharomir.6985

Yes that’s exactly what it is. I should have been more specific

Wow, you’re right. The only moves that don’t evade inflict cripple.

in Ranger

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I think I like it better than just copying WoW’s stealth. It would definitely allow us to ambush better. I guess I’ve just always wanted the ability to “hunt” people in WvW in traditional Ranger sense. Stalk them unseen until they are vulnerable and then strike had and fast.

On a totally unrelated note, I think a forage skill, similar to the pets, but better, would be cool. Use your knowledge of herbs and plants and all that.

Better to remove stealth, imo it does not belong in a player vs player environment.

in Ranger

Posted by: Mara.6782

Mara.6782

Playing ranger against thief is like human vs predator.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bredin.5368

Bredin.5368

Playing ranger against thief is like human vs predator.

Not really. A well-built and well-played roaming ranger is a match for any thief. And by “is a match” I mean, is able to live through an initial burst and force a good thief to withdraw or being able to kill a thief that sticks it out.

As for the topic of thread, I initially thought a thief was more like a ranger than a ranger, and leveled both to 80. I know think that there are a couple great ranger builds for WvW that feel very much like a ranger. The one thing I think ANET should have done is NOT give thieves shadow refuge, and instead give a less potent version of that to rangers. That skill feels more rangery than thiefy.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I have two thieves and two rangers. All of them play very differently, but no I would not say my thieves feel rangery. My Rangers feel like Rangers, I don’t know that my Thieves feel like Thieves, but they definitely don’t feel like Rangers.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

rangers sword+dagger is what thieves need to be. thief bows attacks could be ranger preparations

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Ranger

Posted by: Green Lantern.1259

Green Lantern.1259

I have a ranger (and thief, since that’s the topic) but I’ve recently started a warrior that I play only as a ranger and I think I like that more. I limit myself to only the weapons rangers have, primarily using longbow and sword/axe (I think axe/axe is more “rangery” but I like the sword) and I only use the shouts, signets, and physical utilities (mostly kick, bolas, and signet of stamina). And I made it sylvari so I could still have a pet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

One thing I wish they would add would be like a 30 second stealth on a 60 second cooldown that would only be in effect if you remained motionless. It effectively mimics the idea of being in a hunter’s hide and not only allows us to set ambushes, but would be an absolutely invaluable tool in wvw for scouting or hiding in keeps to res dead mesmers.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Tharomir.6985

One thing I wish they would add would be like a 30 second stealth on a 60 second cooldown that would only be in effect if you remained motionless. It effectively mimics the idea of being in a hunter’s hide and not only allows us to set ambushes, but would be an absolutely invaluable tool in wvw for scouting or hiding in keeps to res dead mesmers.

Yeah, a camouflage ability would be a great addition, though I don’t know what all the values would have to be be to keep it balanced.