The role of rangers in pvp

in Ranger

Posted by: singinggecko.5736

singinggecko.5736

Open question to everyone here. Based on the changes from the livestream, what does everyone think that anet believes the role of rangers is in a pvp-sense? Most of the changes to other classes seem to have been thematic or to cover flaws, but I wasn’t noticing much of a connection here. So I’d love to hear all of your opinions!

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

None. You may think the ranger as the pariah of PvP.
Got nerfed in spirits, dmg and traits.
Sustain/suppor still lacklustre.
Pets pretty still the same nightmare, some stats bump that won’t do much change.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

lol Okay.

No, spirits got buffed.

Traited spirit procs are baseline now (75%) and the active effects of spirits are entirely redone and reach further than they do now, and can be traited to reach even further still.

Ranger sustain was already pretty decent not bad not great and now several changes are going to improve both sustain and support.

Probably somewhere in the good to pretty great range. Point denial rangers might be a thing.

Pets pretty still the same nightmare, some stats bump that won’t do much change.

If you say so.

Even if you might think the changes are less impressive compared to other classes, the changes to ranger are an overall improvement and many are pretty incredible.

Quickening Zephyr now gives quickness with no healing reduction and super speed for the duration.

I’ve already got plans and plans for those plans.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

im ignoring all QQ’s untill they have the Final Final reviews on the HoT system , all they said was they are close to defining what and how or where they’d like the trait lines to go and are still working on Tweeks maybe some changes to underwelming traits .

they also said when it gots live they will be actively tweeking skills as they observe live play.

still nothing set in stone though you do now know what direction the trait lines are heading in.

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

lol Okay.

No, spirits got buffed.

Traited spirit procs are baseline now (75%) and the active effects of spirits are entirely redone and reach further than they do now, and can be traited to reach even further still.

Ranger sustain was already pretty decent not bad not great and now several changes are going to improve both sustain and support.

Probably somewhere in the good to pretty great range. Point denial rangers might be a thing.

If you say so.

Even if you might think the changes are less impressive compared to other classes, the changes to ranger are an overall improvement and many are pretty incredible.

Quickening Zephyr now gives quickness with no healing reduction and super speed for the duration.

I’ve already got plans and plans for those plans.

You are all wrong but you will see.
We have improved with those changes however because the other professions have been reworked and buffed much much more in reality we have been nerfed. And that is a fact.

Now even warrior or engie gets passive speed bonus while we still have to use our utility skills for that. WTF!!

We are not getting nothing more than the mandatory changes to avoid this class to dissapear from the game. Speed and range LB and that’s all.
Traits are mostly the mashup of the existing ones, but nerfed, and the new ones seems soo poor designed that are a shame on Anet. The joke that was +stats on the pets almost made me cry.

Spirits are nerfed, the trash you talk about reworked mean frost spirit will apply chilled instead extra damage. And they have 30 sec CD instead of the actual 20. They don’t move. And there is yet to see if you use a GM trait what you’ll get for that, but from a guy that thinks that 1 stack of might is a lot i wouldn’t hope much. Seriously: Players that don’t play ranger stop trolling this forums, i don’t go to the warrior one to complain how OP is healing signet.

I TOLD YOU SO

in Ranger

CETheLucid.3964

You are all wrong but you will see.

Nah. I pulled all of that from the stream notes on Dulfy. Anyone can go check and confirm what I said.

You don’t have to agree with my personal assessment but the changes I listed are factual.

in Ranger

CETheLucid.3964

Spirits are nerfed, the trash you talk about reworked mean frost spirit will apply chilled instead extra damage.

You’re confused between the new active effect and the standard passive proc.

The passive has not changed (except for the added baseline buff to 75% proc). It’s extra damage.

The active is a massive AoE chill on up to 5 targets within the spirits effect range. The spirit is destroyed after use.

Clever rangers can use this before the spirit naturally expires for a nice finish to things. You should write that down.

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

Spirits are nerfed, the trash you talk about reworked mean frost spirit will apply chilled instead extra damage.

You’re confused between the new active effect and the standard passive proc.

The passive has not changed (except for the added baseline buff to 75% proc). It’s extra damage.

The active is a massive AoE chill on up to 5 targets within the spirits effect range. The spirit is destroyed after use.

Clever rangers can use this before the spirit naturally expires for a nice finish to things. You should write that down.

That about massive up to five targets so not that massive.
Is the passive is still be the same, maybe that spirit will be yet the only one that keeps being used. But the nerf that dies when used the active and the +10 sec CD makes that even worst.
Also don’t forget that now if you trait the spirits they cast the active effect when dead and after the changes they wont
So there you have another nerf on the useless spirits.

As much as i think about it i keep seeing more and more trash from this balance… As i said before: If you don’t play as ranger please refrain of trolling. We know most of the other professions don’t want rangers to work because then they will loose their free bags. But understand there is people don’t like the brainddead warrior or the win button thief.

I TOLD YOU SO

in Ranger

CETheLucid.3964

Most every other class has to worry about getting enemies within a certain point to effectively use their AoE.

Easier in PvE, in PvP it’s more correct to call it AoD since no one with two brain cells to rub together will willingly sit in an AoE if they don’t have too.

Ranger spirits have no such issue. Five targets within the effect radius will be chilled, or dazed, or burned, etc, with little to no tell unless you’re watching the spirit.

It’s a pretty nice mechanical change compared to having to hope and pray your enemy is right on top of your spirit, not having killed it, to use your relatively useless active.

A lot of them still aren’t fairly game changing but again, if you use them right before the spirit naturally expires, you add a little extra something for nothing.

It’s pretty great.

Is the passive is still be the same, maybe that spirit will be yet the only one that keeps being used. But the nerf that dies when used the active and the +10 sec CD makes that even worst.

I’m gonna need a citation for that +10 sec CD bit. I’m not seeing it in the notes.

Also don’t forget that now if you trait the spirits they cast the active effect when dead and after the changes they wont

In exchange that trait now lets your spirits constantly buff your party with a 1s boon, every 3s, for a total downtime of 2s without a buff for the duration of the spirit.

Increases the spirits health, and further increases the spirits range for it’s passive and active effects.

Like turrets, but not.

As much as i think about it i keep seeing more and more trash from this balance… As i said before: If you don’t play as ranger please refrain of trolling. We know most of the other professions don’t want rangers to work because then they will loose their free bags. But understand there is people don’t like the brainddead warrior or the win button thief.

Please explain how I’m trolling here as opposed to trying to correct your BS. Where do you get the idea that I don’t play ranger?

You don’t know me. I play ranger and elementalist exclusively. They’re my only two serious characters.

I don’t want to be anyones free bag. They’ll have to work for it.

I’m by no means the best player NA top tier elite of the elite, but I think I know a little more than the average bear.

Moreover for the large part, all I’ve done here is point out how your wrong based on the notes. Not very hard to do.

You should try reading more and talking less kitten.

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

Most every other class has to worry about getting enemies within a certain point to effectively use their AoE.

Easier in PvE, in PvP it’s more correct to call it AoD since no one with two brain cells to rub together will willingly sit in an AoE if they don’t have too.

Ranger spirits have no such issue. Five targets within the effect radius will be chilled, or dazed, or burned, etc, with little to no tell unless you’re watching the spirit.

It’s a pretty nice mechanical change compared to having to hope and pray your enemy is right on top of your spirit, not having killed it, to use your relatively useless active.

A lot of them still aren’t fairly game changing but again, if you use them right before the spirit naturally expires, you add a little extra something for nothing.

It’s pretty great.

I’m gonna need a citation for that +10 sec CD bit. I’m not seeing it in the notes.

In exchange that trait now lets your spirits constantly buff your party with a 1s boon, every 3s, for a total downtime of 2s without a buff for the duration of the spirit.

Increases the spirits health, and further increases the spirits range for it’s passive and active effects.

Like turrets, but not.

Ok how you put it out sounds good. Now let me show you how the spirits works right now:
We stated same passive effects. No boons 1 sec ever 3secs but however, 1 sec every 3? is that a joke? Seriusly please.
Same amount of life before and after traited. They didn’t point nothing about that so i guess it doesn’t change.

Now:

• spririts follow you.
  • 70% chance to trigger.
  • if dead they will cast the active effect one last time.

After the change:

• spirits do not follow.
  • 75% chance trigger. (+5% not much really).
  • spirits will not trigger when dead.
  • gives 1 boon of 1 second every 3, 2 seconds you get nothing. That’s the same as having nothing.

So forgive me but i still telling you with data you are not right.
The spirits are nerfed again and after this Anet better get rid off them.
So please read the notes because it seems you have expended too much time playing with your ele. I don’t judge you ele is a very OP profession easy to use and rewarding.
I don’t like that one either although i tried hard.

I TOLD YOU SO

in Ranger

Posted by: Dave Pare.2069

Dave Pare.2069

It’s pretty great.

Like turrets, but not.

Ok how you put it out sounds good. Now let me show you how the spirits works right now:
We stated same passive effects. No boons 1 sec ever 3secs but however, 1 sec every 3? is that a joke? Seriusly please.
Same amount of life before and after traited. They didn’t point nothing about that so i guess it doesn’t change.

Now:

• spririts follow you.
  • 70% chance to trigger.
  • if dead they will cast the active effect one last time.

After the change:

• spirits do not follow.
  • 75% chance trigger. (+5% not much really).
  • spirits will not trigger when dead.
  • gives 1 boon of 1 second every 3, 2 seconds you get nothing. That’s the same as having nothing.

So please read the notes because it seems you have expended too much time playing with your ele. I don’t judge you ele is a very OP profession easy to use and rewarding.
I don’t like that one either although i tried hard.

I’m sorry but I have to agree with anduriell.6280 on this: spirits will be useless in a pvp scenario. The fact that they don’t move anymore and that the CD has been incresed to 30 sec is enough in my opinion, considering that spirit aren’t all that good even right now.

Spirits will die almost instantly against opponents with some sort of AOE (every class basically) as it is right now and the fact that they last for a limited period of time (60 sec) does not allow you to place them strategically before the fight as you could do with engis turrets.

The so called “buffs” to the active skills are jokes too: 3 sec of chill on frost spirit compared to the current 1 sec is nothing; 3 sec daze on storm spirit active is good if you don’t consider the terrible active that it gives (9 sec of swiftness, that’s all); 2 stacks of burning for 3 sec on sun spirit passive is pretty poor as well considering that I can use the active (3 stacks of burning for 5 sec and blindness for 8 wow!!) just one time since the spirit will die after that…. And the active skill will no longer trigger when the spirit dies.

It’s a series of poor balance decisions for ranger overall that demonstrates, once again, the lack of creativity and common sense of the people in charge with the profession balance.

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

ranger role wont change at all based on the spec revamp. at least until druid is announced. rangers will remain offensive and selfish skirmishers, with some of the most limited team utility in the game (not counting our powerful rezzing abilities)

but we’ll be very good at what we do. we should have several viable condi builds. traps look strong and will act as area denial. power rangers will enjoy increased damage through Remorseless and increased survivability through Wilderness Survival and/or Nature Magic. condi BM bunkers will reclaim their role as 1v1 monsters with extremely survivable and hard-hitting pets, and aoe taunt.

there are also whispers of a viable frontline wvw build.

Missed Opportunities:
- roughly half of the GM’s that won’t be competitive
- significant shortbow buff
- viable spirits
- shout revamp
- offhand axe and warhorn #4 revamps

maybe next time.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

RE: Spirits

It really depends on how big the passive effect range is, if it is something like 1200+, then they will be good imo. However, I am not holding my breath.

•Frost Spirit: The activate ability now inflicts 3s of chill initially.

The word initially which makes me think it retains the pulsing, but the initial application is the longer duration. I’m thinking this is because of the Nature’s Vengeance trait, if someone kills it in melee, they get 3s of chill instead of 1s.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Our role shall be the decap engie.

Quick draw longbow for maximum decap.

Ranger | Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The more I look over the new traits the more I’m thinking I’m switching to a new main after 3 years. I’m not trying to be overly dramatic, I just don’t like most of what I see.

I casually play a few of the other professions and I LOVE what I see on them. We got indirectly nerfed into oblivion based on how much other professions improved. And we have:

Predator’s Instinct: Apply 10 seconds of Cripple to foes below 50% when you strike them. This trait has a 30 second internal cooldown.

I’m going to attempt to make some sort of team-support + damage build with remorseless and see if it’s any fun or viable.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

in Ranger

CETheLucid.3964

It’s hard to follow your english here, but I can forgive that if you’re willing to understand that I may have misunderstood you here:

But it looks like you’re getting the basic passive effects confused with what I mentioned with regards to spirits granting boons being traited.

The standard passive effects of spirits are not related to this special GM traited boon you get for 1s every 3s.

That’s a downtime of 2s without a boon… in addition to the standard passive procs at +75% chance happening baseline buff.

The passive Frost Spirit damage proc was unchanged. That’s still the same, with the added bonus of being baseline +75% chance. The active was changed.

The GM trait will in addition, grant a boon of some sort related to the spirit for 1s every 3s.

The active effect was fairly worthless before the change and it’s really not much of a game changer with this new change now, but it’s something more, something that will actually connect with a target…

Which, is more than what can be said about it now.

The GM boon might be regen or something, so that’d be nice. Or maybe that’ll be Water Spirit or Renewel. We don’t know yet.

But it’s undeniable that the change is an improvement, and certainly not a nerf.

Savvy?

Mmkay. I’ve made my point and the facts are there for anyone to see. I forgive you for being wrong. It happens to the best of us.

So please read the notes because it seems you have expended too much time playing

Coming from you, that’s hilarious! I like you. People like you keep me employed. <3

I’m sorry but I have to agree with anduriell.6280 on this: spirits will be useless in a pvp scenario. The fact that they don’t move anymore and that the CD has been incresed to 30 sec is enough in my opinion, considering that spirit aren’t all that good even right now.

I’d agree with you on that one point, and I’d take it a step further. Spirits were never viable in PvP at any serious level.

I never said otherwise and that’s not my issue with anduriell. My issue with them is their BS regarding the changes.

(However if they feel rangers are terrible boo hoo QQ and all that, by all means they’re free to feel that way: I don’t care.)

They’re clusterfodder for people who can’t tab or click. Like turrets, but not.

These changes won’t really change much in that regard, though I can see the new Storm Spirit being kinda fun in a gimmicky way.

With the correct placement, it could be super annoying as a nigh unpredictable AoE daze.

If someone has to go out of their way to kill it to stop that risk, it’s done it’s job.