Thoughts on Read The Wind?

in Ranger

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

I’ve been using it in WvW for about 15 mins now.

At first I was like “oooh…”

But then I was like “urgh…”

This shouldn’t be a grandmaster trait. This is a basic fix.

It carries the illusion of increased attack speed which is why Anet are palming it off as a GM trait.

Should at the least be merged with Eagle Eye or Piercing Arrows.

Ridiculous.

in Ranger

Posted by: wmtyrance.3571

wmtyrance.3571

Arrows go faster meh I’ll stick with what i’ve been using.

in Ranger

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

I like it… makes it easier to actually hit things…

Kima & Co

in Ranger

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

complete waste of a GM trait.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in Ranger

Posted by: divine faithborn.8365

divine faithborn.8365

Read the Wind completely obsoletes Eagle Eye as the increased projectile speed makes it so that your attacks can actually travel just about the same distance as Eagle Eye’s increased range.

(edited by divine faithborn.8365)

in Ranger

Posted by: Black Scoutsman.5830

Black Scoutsman.5830

Read the Wind completely obsoletes Eagle Eye as the increased projectile speed makes it so that your attacks can actually travel significantly farther than Eagle Eye’s increased range.

Attachments:

Human Warrior, Ranger and dedicated Scout of Yaks bend
The Pinnacle of Resposibility [Mom]

in Ranger

divine faithborn.8365

Read the Wind completely obsoletes Eagle Eye as the increased projectile speed makes it so that your attacks can actually travel significantly farther than Eagle Eye’s increased range.

I just tested it, and the distance isn’t that much further on a flat plane (I was shooting downhill when I said that), but seriously try it for yourself.

The increased projectile speed means less drop off which means farther range. It’s the same reason why eagle eye can now put out shots of ~1800 units instead of 1500 units – they upped the projectile speed.

in Ranger

Black Scoutsman.5830

I just tested it, and the distance isn’t that much further on a flat plane (I was shooting downhill when I said that), but seriously try it for yourself.

The increased projectile speed means less drop off which means farther range. It’s the same reason why eagle eye can now put out shots of ~1800 units instead of 1500 units – they upped the projectile speed.

if true, this seems like a bug as it doesnt matter how fast the arrow is traveling, when the game reads 1500 range, it should read out of range. unless its a bug

in Ranger

divine faithborn.8365

if true, this seems like a bug as it doesnt matter how fast the arrow is traveling, when the game reads 1500 range, it should read out of range. unless its a bug

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1yom3n/ranger_longbow_reaches_targets_1970_units_away/

Take it as you will, but the faster the projectile moves the farther it can hit. You can now snipe stationary units from an insane distance if you combo read the wind and eagle eye.

in Ranger

Black Scoutsman.5830

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1yom3n/ranger_longbow_reaches_targets_1970_units_away/

Take it as you will, but the faster the projectile moves the farther it can hit. You can now snipe stationary units from an insane distance if you combo read the wind and eagle eye.

i’m not disagreeing (as i havent had a chance to get in and play with the trait yet) but it just seems like if that’s true, its a bug. because they have adamantly said that they will not increase range past 1500 as it caused game breaking issues.

in Ranger

divine faithborn.8365

i’m not disagreeing (as i havent had a chance to get in and play with the trait yet) but it just seems like if that’s true, its a bug. because they have adamantly said that they will not increase range past 1500 as it caused game breaking issues.

and yet it’s been that way for over half a year

in Ranger

Black Scoutsman.5830

yeah i knew there was a little wiggle room at the end of the range there, but 1800 or more seems buggy to me lol

in Ranger

Posted by: wmtyrance.3571

wmtyrance.3571

I don’t believe whats being said here. The trait says this.
Read the Wind: Longbow and harpoon gun projectile velocity is increased by 100%.

Nowhere in there about range being increased.

in Ranger

divine faithborn.8365

I don’t believe whats being said here. The trait says this.
Read the Wind: Longbow and harpoon gun projectile velocity is increased by 100%.

Nowhere in there about range being increased.

test it out in game then – shoot a guy without the trait and see what the max distance is. Then shoot a guy with the trait and see what the max distance is.

in Ranger

Posted by: Mysticalz.2165

Mysticalz.2165

Can’t they just make this speed default or atleast combine Eagle Eye and Read the Wind..I need Piercing Arrows for WvW and I cant have both Eagle eye and RTW.. sucks.I really dont see a reason why this should be a GM trait.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

There’s really no place where this will make a difference though. Pve is still melee or go home and as long as we have to stand on the ledge of a wall in WvW to actually hit anyone close to the wall, right where anyone attacking would be standing, it doesn’t matter how far it shoots.

We won’t even be able to use it to pewpew siege from a huge distance because eagle + read = no piercing arrows so all they have to do is stand in front of the catapult and you won’t be able to do a thing to it.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

I just tested this and the difference between Eagle Eye and Eagle Eye + Read the Wind is negligible at best. I’m not even sure there is a difference in range.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

feed me more negativity, im hungry!!!!

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: blud.8174

blud.8174

Good lord! I can’t breathe. I laugh every time I see that pic, but this context and what he said were just too perfect.

in Ranger

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

That said, increasing the velocity would increase range barring obstacles, logically. But whether that’s intended seems dubious in this case (at least in regards to eagle eye interactions).

in Ranger

Posted by: Whitesoul.7853

Whitesoul.7853

Trashyyyy lol useless GM trait..

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

RTW does not make you shoot further.

There’s an anomaly though. If you only use RTW, when you’ve reached your max range, every 5th shot or so will hit but the rest will say out of range.

And it doesn’t even come close to Eagle Eye. I can hit the light golem at where I’m standing with EE but you have to go down to the rock where the red arrow is and tip toe near the edge of it to hit the same target without EE.

All in all pretty lame GM trait for me as piercing offers way more DPS in wvw for me to even consider using RTW.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Daze.6914

Daze.6914

You said it all OP, not worth dropping an other trait. As you said, this should have been a fix.

War Inc. Community [WIC]
Far Shiverpeaks
GW2 WvW - GW2 Gem Price

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

We’re ALL saying this is a FIX, not a Grandmaster trait… Anger groving in my heart…

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

We waited.

My 8000+ hours aren’t a complete waste but wow, what a letdown.

No instant F2 as promised over and over and over.

Both sigils don’t seem to be working – no they are not the same family.

No way to “build” a Ranger since I have no skill at theorycrafting.

Big, big letdown and I feel tricked. Again.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ryoki Hokishami.2756

We waited.

Wat.

The F2s are working the way they should, and read the wind is wrecking face in PVP. Don’t understand what you’re so upset about.

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

We waited.

Wat.

The F2s are working the way they should, and read the wind is wrecking face in PVP. Don’t understand what you’re so upset about.

PvP has nothing to do with what we can get, do and be.

I don’t pvE and I don’t pvp… so that leaves the real end game which didn’t get a single help to its many problems and now we get this kitten trait that does absolutely nothing for survivability for Rangers… Nada.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

(edited by atheria.2837)

in Ranger

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

I have been quite critical on Read the Wind, and I just tried it out in wvw roaming. Results have been mixed due to yolo warriors and my not so uber skills. However Longbow does feel awesome with Read the Wind so it seems I might have been wrong on this. I run it with eagle eye, and didn’t seem to miss piercing arrows yet. I have been running this build for a few hours. It seems pretty good. It turns out that entering combat with a stowed pet does trigger Zephyr’s speed, and it has no ICD. This means you can enter combat, have 3 seconds of quickness, swap pet, and have another 3 seconds. I have Air and Fire sigils in my LB, I might try it out with sigil of rage later.

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

It was fun for about 5mins until it set in that the amount of times I missed or was obstructed was greatly overstated. It’s just a terrible trait in general and certainly not worthy of a GM slot.

My experience with it is limited to WvW though as that’s all I ever really play.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Yea tried it for 5 minutes, as expected it will make the odd extra arrow hit. If its 1 in 10 thats a 10% dps increase, but theres lots of times when hitting is no problem.

Should have sweetened the deal by adding raw damage bonus or even make it an energy attack so its immune to all the reflection, then it would have a niche in the ranger trait kitten nol.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

Autoattack that cannot be reflected? While tht would be fun, why would reflect be a thing then?

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Autoattack that cannot be reflected? While tht would be fun, why would reflect be a thing then?

Well its an expensive trait, only a percentage would have it. Reflection is just an occasional problem and still only worth it as a sweetener. Unless I am mistaken, other classes have range energy attacks that cant be reflected (such as mesmers GS autoattack), so its nothing new.

Additionally… reflection is also a thorn in this traits side, that punishes you for having it. With “slow” arrows, if i see a reflection I can dodge, with this skill probably no chance.

Unblockable is another option but probably too powerful. That gets around reflection also.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

(edited by Kilger.5490)

in Ranger

Posted by: Elenire.7306

Elenire.7306

Meh I think it’s ok but certainly not worth a grandmaster. It feels like we’re being forced to use a trait to overcome base mechanics. The arrow speed should be increased as a bug/QoL fix NOT a grandmaster trait.

Still way too many LB traits in the Marksmanship line. Needs to be some condensing for sure.

Elenire Manyshot – Dragonbrand Ranger
Band of Exiles [BoE]

in Ranger

Posted by: Abrilete.1439

Abrilete.1439

Additionally… reflection is also a thorn in this traits side, that punishes you for having it. With “slow” arrows, if i see a reflection I can dodge, with this skill probably no chance.

Yesterday in WvW during a fight a LB ranger tagged me while I was trying to run away. He pooped QZ and, at the same time, I used Whirling Defense. It hurt him. A lot.

Baruch Bay, Ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: ClaraFee.2579

ClaraFee.2579

Yesterday in WvW during a fight a LB ranger tagged me while I was trying to run away. He pooped QZ and, at the same time, I used Whirling Defense. It hurt him. A lot.

That has nothing to do with Read the Wind or arrow speed.

[MGW] [DHA] [VII]
Join Darkhaven at http://www.darkhaven.us

in Ranger

Posted by: Abrilete.1439

Abrilete.1439

That has nothing to do with Read the Wind or arrow speed.

Well, the arrows go and come back faster. No more sidestepping and all that.

Baruch Bay, Ranger.