Throwing traps gone.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Morphic.7045

Morphic.7045

Is no one seriously talking about this? What are they thinking…

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Meh, doesn’t really matter to me. You can still trap bomb someone by being close them. Plus the traps should be more powerful overall considering some of the other trait changes.

I like the fact that they make them non-throwable, they were basically just grenades at that point. Also encourages more defensive style play like they were intended for.

I think the new healing spring will also work out quite nicely. That would be a little weird as a throwable trap.

Now if we just had an elite trap…

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lillith.3018

Lillith.3018

RIP Traps and Spirits~!
What the hell were they thinking? What kind of ranger stands still during combat? Oh sorry Mr Thief, can u move over to my traps and spirits so I can shoot you??

I worked so kitten my ranger with ascended gear and legendary! Trap ranger with spirits was my favorite build.

Lets nerf some more ranger builds!

Vive’ La Yaks Bend !

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Morphic.7045

Morphic.7045

Meh, doesn’t really matter to me. You can still trap bomb someone by being close them. Plus the traps should be more powerful overall considering some of the other trait changes.

I like the fact that they make them non-throwable, they were basically just grenades at that point. Also encourages more defensive style play like they were intended for.

I think the new healing spring will also work out quite nicely. That would be a little weird as a throwable trap.

It was the entire reason I played the class.. : (

Entangle is likely to be the elite trap (catagory wise)

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I hate this change, and I thought they said throwable traps was becoming baseline…guess not.

Guess I’ll never use traps again. .5 second arming time (healing spring won’t instant heal you) and no ground targeting. Worthless for me. Time to find another way to play.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Yamsandjams.3267

It was the entire reason I played the class.. : (

Entangle is likely to be the elite trap (catagory wise)

It’s already a survival skill, unless they’re thinking of swapping it to trap and making something else survival. Rampage as One was stated to likely be a shout, so there’s not really any room for adjustment.

I’m more interested to know how the new traps will interact with trapper runes. Will the stealth and super speed kick in before or after the arming time? If it’s before, then it would be very easy to be auto-revealed when the trap is triggered, but if it’s after then it would be a bit annoying to have that 0.5 second delay on your stealth and super speed.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

How the heck to you expect Rangers to do that? Traps now have a trigger delay, so you just chase your oponent and hope that he wont run out of your traps fast enough? That is a stupid change and it limits the effectiveness of traps tremendously.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

throwing traps gone…BUT you now knockdown with spike trap and deal 33% more damage with poison and bleed through traits, AND all of your traps cripple.

plus you take A THIRD less damage above 90% health,
plus 5% less damage whenever you have regen,
and when they hit you you cause weakness and gain prot.

how are you not buzzing with anticipation for this?

its like tanky condi heaven.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

completely irrelevant. they have an arming time now so there is no point in throwing them. they’re basically area denial, with very powerful effects. that’s why we’re not talking about this too much.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

You mean traps will actually act like traps?!? This is outrageous!!!

Seriously though, the change in itself is a good one since it promotes skillful use of traps. Now…whether traps are viable/worthwhile after all the changes is another question, but considering the magnitude of these changes, it’s pretty impossible to tell.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Well, that totally screws up Runes of the Trapper.

No more wise trap spreading to avoid reveals, keeping the cycle and luring into traps.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Yamsandjams.3267

How the heck to you expect Rangers to do that? Traps now have a trigger delay, so you just chase your oponent and hope that he wont run out of your traps fast enough? That is a stupid change and it limits the effectiveness of traps tremendously.

That’s exactly the point, you’re not supposed to be able to chase someone with a trap. It’s like engineers that use bomb kits and run at people trying to hit them with it.

If you want to use them effectively, then you have to have a semblance of control over the positioning. Obviously they might not be as useful for, say, WvW roaming where people can go on auto-run for a week and not hit the edge of the map, but that’s more in line with how they were always supposed to be used.

I’m surprised people are so up in arms about the loss of throwing more so than the arming time. The latter seems like a much more significant change as far as trap effectiveness is concerned.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Wuselknusel.4082

The Ranger is already lacking AoEs. The traps were the only AoEs the Ranger could use properly, like throwing traps from walls in WvW. Now that’s gone. Now it’s dull.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Wuselknusel.4082

That’s exactly the point, you’re not supposed to be able to chase someone with a trap. It’s like engineers that use bomb kits and run at people trying to hit them with it.

If you want to use them effectively, then you have to have a semblance of control over the positioning. Obviously they might not be as useful for, say, WvW roaming where people can go on auto-run for a week and not hit the edge of the map, but that’s more in line with how they were always supposed to be used.

I’m surprised people are so up in arms about the loss of throwing more so than the arming time. The latter seems like a much more significant change as far as trap effectiveness is concerned.

If you’re playing a trapper build, then you need the traps to hit, otherwise you’ll never kill someone. Trap bombing wont work. Either you have to lay down your traps before the fight in anticipation where the enemy will be, or you have to lay them down with the enemy knowing where they are. The enemy will simply dodge your traps or play around them. The Dragonhunter’s traps are atleast potent enough to burst someone down if he manages to deive them into his traps. The Ranger wont be. The Ranger is reliant on hitting the enemy with traps more than once. This change will kill trapper ranger.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

as I said already, traps have an arming time so throwing them is pointless now. they wouldn’t hit anything after 0.5s. what’s so difficult to understand?

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Wuselknusel.4082

Because throwing them slightly in front of your target isn’t possible? Because the whole zerg when throwing traps from a wall will dodge them? Is that why we don’t need to be able to throw traps?

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Yamsandjams.3267

If you’re playing a trapper build, then you need the traps to hit, otherwise you’ll never kill someone. Trap bombing wont work. Either you have to lay down your traps before the fight in anticipation where the enemy will be, or you have to lay them down with the enemy knowing where they are. The enemy will simply dodge your traps or play around them. The Dragonhunter’s traps are atleast potent enough to burst someone dwon if he manages to deive them into his traps. The Ranger wont be. The Ranger is reliant on hitting the enemy with traps more than once. This change will kill trapper ranger.

They’re offloading a lot of the power from traps to the initial hit, so even if they move out of the trap they will still be hit with a significant hit. Not to mention the spike trap will now knockdown, which you can use for comboing. For instance, they hit the spike trap, you drop another trap to hit them while they’re still getting up. You can also just use the wolf that you know you use, wait till it lands a pounce, then drop spike trap and whatever else, forcing the person to use a stun break or something to avoid being trap bombed.

And you act like dodging traps wasn’t a thing already. Do you think they’ve modified them to give persistent AoE circles on the ground? No. People that are aren’t able to dodge or play around them properly now won’t be able to do so after the patch. They won’t suddenly become more skilled and knowledgeable about how traps work. Or perhaps you’re referring to those builds that have infinite dodges.

Plus, if you drop a trap in response to a person who is pressuring you in melee and the person backs off, then the trap has potentially served it’s purpose even though it didn’t actually hit anyone. If your build completely falls apart because a trap doesn’t land, then you might reconsider how it’s setup to not have a single point of failure.

At the end of the day, it’s still going to be way better than any thief trap build, I can tell you that.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

Having played trapper ranger for basically the last six months, there are certainly some really fun things that will be gone now:
- Getting under people fighting on stairs, walkways, etc and throwing traps up at them
- Putting traps on the walls of a tower to keep defenders away or even kill them
- Being able to toss a trap to the side with trappers runes so that the opponent DID NOT run over it so that I could keep my stealth
- Being able to put traps on hills or walls in PVE content to just let me run through more quickly and avoid hitting creatures (again using the super speed and stealth of trapper runes)
- Standing beside a doorway and tossing traps into the opening

You can argue whether those uses are actually “being traps” or not. But they allowed a bit of learning and creativity in the use of a skill that I will miss.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Wuselknusel.4082

You make it sound like zoning will be so much more effective when this patch comes. After the patch, people will only fear to melee the Ranger. Right now, the Ranger can catch them with traps even if they aren’t in melee range.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Yamsandjams.3267

- Being able to toss a trap to the side with trappers runes so that the opponent DID NOT run over it so that I could keep my stealth

This is what I will miss the most from throwable traps, although to be honest it was always a kitteneesy (and I think it was bugged sometimes too). I think what actually might cripple traps builds is how the new traps will interact with the trapper runes, not that the ability to throw them is itself removed.

Mind you, we did still have trap builds that existed before the trapper runes. It’s not like you HAVE to run trapper runes in a trap build, I’m just worried that the builds that want to will have that aspect of them heavily worsened.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

Thrown traps should be baseline, if only for the ability to position the traps.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I am actually fine with this. I never liked the idea of THROWING a trap. How does that even work?

With this change you’ll set your traps down where you are and plan where you want them before a fight starts, just like before. Spike trap having a knockdown is a pretty huge buff to it’s area denial ability and guarantees an extra pulse or two on your opponent. Imagine the control chains you could pull off with that.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Wuselknusel.4082

Yeah right? Good that they got rid of that unrealistic stuff. Now just let me get my Omega Siege Golem out of my pocket…

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Setting them where you are doesn’t work in practice. Otherwise everyone would skip 6 in Skirmishing and take something else.

That is, setting traps does not work mid-combat. You’d have to be asleep to go into them. Throwing them works because you can lead your opponent into them. Even with arming time, you can position them so at least one hits.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

The only option you have now is to pew pew with your SB at 600 (because LB is power and that won’t work any more) and pray to Grenth that we will come to you thru exactly your trap. And let’s hope they don’t do any funny animations that scream hey trap here to the players around.

They made the ranger profession the pariah of Anet. Simple as that.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Setting them where you are doesn’t work in practice. Otherwise everyone would skip 6 in Skirmishing and take something else.

That is, setting traps does not work mid-combat. You’d have to be asleep to go into them. Throwing them works because you can lead your opponent into them. Even with arming time, you can position them so at least one hits.

In SPVP place the traps on the capture point. The enemy will have to run into them if they want to capture it, and if they choose not to then it just becomes easier for you to contest/keep the point. Plus you’d be surprised how many players in the general SPVP community are dumb enough to charge a ranger they KNOW places traps on the node. Like, I’ve had people charge me three or four times in a single match in almost every game I’ve played as a trap ranger.

In WvWvW you’ll probably have trapper’s runes and so can turn invisible while laying down the traps, so the enemy won’t be able to see where they are. Then you just lead/fear/knockback the enemy into the traps as you see fit. The arming time will likely work better with this set up since you won’t risk being immediately revealed after placing a trap.

Now granted it may be harder to land your traps, but to say it’s outright impossible before even trying with the new set up is a bit dramatic.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Wuselknusel.4082

In WvWvW you’ll probably have trapper’s runes and so can turn invisible while laying down the traps, so the enemy won’t be able to see where they are. Then you just lead/fear/knockback the enemy into the traps as you see fit. The arming time will likely work better with this set up since you won’t risk being immediately revealed after placing a trap.

Now granted it may be harder to land your traps, but to say it’s outright impossible before even trying with the new set up is a bit dramatic.

You are not truning invisible while laying down the traps, you turn invisible after you have layed down the trap. That will be an even bigger sign to enemies that you just have placed a trap.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Yamsandjams.3267

Careful now, I don’t think we’ve actually seen dramatic yet.

Although I will concur with the notion that everything is gonna be ok, everything is gonna be alright… at least for traps, anyhow.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

Because throwing them slightly in front of your target isn’t possible? Because the whole zerg when throwing traps from a wall will dodge them? Is that why we don’t need to be able to throw traps?

zerg? what? why would you be running traps against a zerg?

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Marks? Wells? Why would you be running those against a zerg?

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Sorry, OP.
I’m actually in favor of that change.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Yamsandjams.3267

cuz they aren’t traps

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

why wouldnt you?
protecting the gates for example? zerg coming ? we are talking if they could be thrown yet ofc

I TOLD YOU SO

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

because theyre not exclusively condi. staff #4 crits for 4.5k, staff #5 is an aoe cc. staff #3 is an aoe chill. WoC and WoS do about 15k damage on valk/zerker builds and melt zergs. condis are instantly cleansed (like traps for instance, which were never effective against any zerg). that’s why. come on Heim.

ive been away from wvw for about a year and a half. have so many good players left that you guys are actually able to get kills with aoe condis, without them getting instantly cleansed? that would be unbelievable to me.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

I haven’t watched the stream.

What happened to the specific traps? did they get any unique changes?

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

Hey Sticker – you can find all the changes here
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/June-23-Specialization-Changes

All traps get a 0.5 second activation
All offensive traps get 2 second cripple
Spike trap gets a knockdown
Healing Spring is now a trap

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

dont forget, trap are cast on the spot cant be thrown.

I TOLD YOU SO

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

You mean I’ll have to use my traps like traps instead of like grenades? …

Oh look, anduriell complaining on the Ranger forums again.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kitiara.2706

Kitiara.2706

Yeh, really not sure how this will work in WvW. I feel like any reliable or fun builds we might could have used in WvW is pretty much out the window.

Just when rangers were useful in WvW, it had to be removed. God forbid we could actually play them without being yelled at.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Yamsandjams.3267

Yeh, really not sure how this will work in WvW. I feel like any reliable or fun builds we might could have used in WvW is pretty much out the window.

Just when rangers were useful in WvW, it had to be removed. God forbid we could actually play them without being yelled at.

Well I dunno where you play, but people I’m around yell at them all the time, even when they’re not around.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

You mean I’ll have to use my traps like traps instead of like grenades? …

Oh look, anduriell complaining on the Ranger forums again.

This is the second thread you look actively to attack me in no time. I see you didn’t like me to prove you wrong. Fair enough.
Yes: before we could launch traps as grenades because it was a trait, now we can’t so it’s a nerf, we get worst functionality.
I though that was clear.
Are you happy because your engie got buffed to the sky and beyond? i’m happy for you too. Now please, let’s try to make things better for the ranger, i know a lot of ppl like free bags but this is not fair.

I TOLD YOU SO

(edited by anduriell.6280)

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Did they actually state that the ground targeting is gone in the RU? I haven’t watched it as yet, need to DL it.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

Did they actually state that the ground targeting is gone in the RU? I haven’t watched it as yet, need to DL it.

Sadly yes. They talk about that especially. Jonh and Kau (i think) talk about traps will be casted on place and can’t be thrown.
Is not writen in the changes but also you can’t see the traps are grown targeted. Although i hope the change that, i don’t use traps but i see a lot of nerfs in spirits and traps that were unnecessary.

I TOLD YOU SO

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

StickerHappy.8052

So frost trap has cripple now? what is that for?

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

all offensive traps have cripple when traited. frost trap also chills.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

While i do find that cripple on traps pathetic (dodge ignores cripple’s movement slowdown, and now leaps will as well), i’m glad i’m not forced to toss my traps.

When there’s a thief backstabbing me i want to have insta trap, not having to bother with aiming and throwing. Sadly i don’t get insta trap because arming time now. But at least no throwing time..

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

StickerHappy.8052

but chill>cripple so adding cripple on frost is………

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

…More conditions to cleanse!

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

StickerHappy.8052

…More conditions to cleanse!

BUT stepping on a trap pulses conditions so… cleanse does nothing while they are on that trap… so my argument still persists..

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

I believe the cripple is on the first pulse, which forces them to remain in the field a little longer or blow a dodgeroll. they also get hit by the chill on the first pulse. then, chill pulses continue. given how large the traps are, opponent wont be able to get away without blowing evades or leaps. traps will be pretty much spammable =)

also cleansing on top of the trap(s) after the first pulse will be ineffective/wasteful. they’ll be forced to stay there for the duration if theyre smart, soak up some condi damage, then cleanse. but soon after we hit em with another.