Tips on gs buils

Tips on gs buils

in Ranger

Posted by: Monkey boy.1697

Monkey boy.1697

Hey guys i wanna make a WvW ranger build with a greatsword in it… Cus we all know its fun lol. So i need tips whats the base stats i should aim for in WvW when maing this build? Also what weapon would go good with the gs. BTW i plan on roaming and being in small groups with this build. Also any tips on how I should play, and i really wana be able to 1v1 or 1vX or at least run or chase(which i prob can already do with gs). So thx guys pls give me the info. I really need to know cus i want to make this build soon. Thx guys hf gl out there.

Pandas be like: “Racism is so stupid, I’m WHITE, BLACK & ASIAN”!

Tips on gs buils

in Ranger

Posted by: Antisceptic.9174

Antisceptic.9174

Tips on gs buils

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

Check out Paudro/Exploits for one of, if not the best ranger roaming video (best by entertainment, not by OPness). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfEWpvAlu68
He runs 0/15/20/15/20, GS/s+wh in that vid. Mostly clerics and dwayna, the link is in the vid description.

I took a similar approach (using 15 in nature to share boons with the pet) but instead packed on boon duration and went 0/0/30/30/10. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBMhF6EoiugrsQxCWLDItHZilgJvCpn7xo4fhYBPSA-j0CBoNCiEIBiKAMLqIasltht6KalXBRvATpiIq2fAzlgIqWEAzWA-w

Compared to Exploits build, i get 100% regen uptime (which is huge with the healing power invested), 100% swiftness uptime, ~50+% protection uptime. My pets are a bit tougher through guard+30 nature. I also get 38 seconds of stability from RaO, its awesome against warriors, guardians and large fights. 30 Wilderness helps me deal with conditions a bit better than his build also.

I lose a little fury-on-pet uptime (which he gets through weapon swaps) and faster pet swaps, but I think the rest makes up for it. His pet may hit harder for 10 extra points in BM, but this is hard to say (the boon duration in my spec may make up the ground with might stacks, especially if using sigils of battle).

Either way, watch the vid and see if those weapons look right for you.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

Tips on gs buils

in Ranger

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

I’d probably stay away from Longbow if you’re going for small groups/roaming.
GS is a power weapon so you’d probably want your second weapon to be as well but with a complimenting set focusing on the weakness of the GS or something your group could use.

Weapons;
- S/D isn’t too bad and has some nice mobility/snare in it if used right.
- Shortbow is another good choice. Its rof gives it decent DPS and hitting a fleeing foe with it really adds up. It has decent mobility and also has ranged stun+snare which comes in handy. (Use GS leap to catch up then fire)
- X/Horn is always useful in groups so it might be worth using the Axe or Sword just for that. It depends on your small group composition though.

Pets;
- You’d probably also want some more DPS/CC centered pets such as Felines or Canines for smaller groups. Being able to sic a pet on one foe who is giving an ally a hard time and hitting another is a huge help.
- It’s tempting to use a pet such a Jaguar or Raven for damage but the long chill of a Snow Leopard or AoE immob/fear from a Canine can be invaluable.

Heal Skill;
Depends on the group. Healing Spring is always great for allies as a condition removal and can be traited to pulse vigor. If your group plays differently though I’d probably go with TU. You want to cast it (TU) early in a fight though rather than later because unlike other heal skills it’s sustain, not heal.

Utility Skills;
Couple interesting things you can do but some good all around ones that don’t require much investment are:
- Signet of the Hunt
- Signet of Renewal
- Lightning Reflexes
- Muddy Terrain
- If you want to do more special things for your team you can run some traited shouts for perma Swiftness/Regen but less useful by yourself.
- Traps such as Frost, Spike, and even Viper’s are good to use if your team doesn’t need much of the above. I’d not run them if you don’t want to go 30 into Skirmishing for Trap Potency. You’re melee so you could probably get away with just laying them at your feet leaving your Master trait nice and open.
- Spirits can be useful if you can keep them up which isn’t always the case, especially in WvW. As such they can be rather unreliable and if it isn’t reliable you don’t want it.

Elite;
- Entangle can be a game changer and it can also be completely useless. If you use it wisely it’ll be amazing.
- RaO for solo play is always amazing for the boons and damage it gives.
- Depending on your race some racial skills actually come in handy. Human’s Avatar of Grenth combined with a melee bar can add some nasty effects. Norn have a couple decent things that can be fun to use as well as effective given the right circumstances often catching people off gaurd.

Traits;
Depends on your utilities and weapons really. I’ll let you build that.

Goal Stats;
Depends who you talk to.
- Since GS is a power weapon you want a lot of Crit/Crit damage along with Attack if you’re a offense focused person. To give you an idea I can get my Ranger up to about 2700 Armor, 80% crit, ~90% crit damage, ~3,000 attack, and 18k+ HP with food and all.
- Since you’re running in smaller group/solo you could ditch some Armor/HP gear for damage gear then use runes and food for things like -Condition Duration or something equally helpful.
- Building for a Shout/ Spirit build would benefit from much different focus such as Healing Power and Boon Duration so stacking offensive stats is less meaningful.

I didn’t want to just give you a build because that whole “give a man a fish” thing but if you play around with your build here it can really help give you an idea of how to gear/trait yourself.

http://en.gw2skills.net

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

(edited by Castaliea.3156)

Tips on gs buils

in Ranger

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

NSPride <3