To all PvE rangers

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Hohou.1508

Hohou.1508

Please, use frost spirit and spotter when being in dungeon group. It can be easy incorporated in your built. Please…

You can keep pewpewing with longbow, knockbacking everything and doing pitifull damage, just use spotter and frost spirit, pretty please…

Engineer since August 2012

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

Inb4 “dont tell me what to do” and “don’t tell me how to play”

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Inb4 “dont tell me what to do” and “don’t tell me how to play”

This is what has me puzzled:
Hohou.1508: “…doing pitifull damage….”
My zerker ranger does some pretty heavy damage.

Also, I play how I want…………
:p

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Hohou.1508

Yes, we all just want to do what we want and we live in hippie-land :P
With spotter and spirit your party can do things faster and smoother. Whats wrong with that?

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Yes, we all just want to do what we want and we live in hippie-land :P

Yet, you play as an engineer … hopefully not in dungeons.

But yeah, I agree, FS and spotter are just too good for any party.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

OP, i got a solution for your problem:
Don’t PUG.

Or, at least put “meta only” in your LFG description, so you can actually complain and/or kick later on.

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

A lot of rangers have never tried frost spotter/sword, so they don’t know how much better it is.

If you are one of those rangers then you should try getting out of your comfort zone and see what it is like.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Yelloweyedemon.2860

If you are one of those rangers then you should try getting out of your comfort zone and see what it is like.

Lol no! Staying at 1.5k range is meta. If things go bad I still have knockback and double bear with protect me and signet of stone. (and signet of hunt to move faster since moving faster = pro)

I rek ppl!

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Im all for doing my part just as long as everyone else is as well like using potion on x slaying and sigil of night. If you cant do what you can don’t look to me. People always like pointing the finger.

Honestly I find optimized group play boring as hell. In fact you kill thing so fast that most dungeon mechanic don’t come in to play. Stealth and porting can make a run faster but I feel it lets new and old player by pass skill development.

I know a lot of people who can complete ac without and ele or make it to the bosses in cm without stealth.

A true test of you character is what happen when everything doesnt go smoothly and flawlessly. Those of you who what optimal can always run with your guildmate and friends. I love puging with min lvl groups they are the most fun and yes it takes long but so what. It suppose to be about fun why run an dudngeon in 4 minute just to spend 6 looking of another group.

I am all for teaching ranger on how to improve, but part of learn the class is trying stuff out. I feel on of the reason so many player have a problem with zerk lb ranger is they never learned what the class can do.

While at the same time dismissing skill because they are not optimal meanwhile disregarding the stress of skill. This topic in pve it is a problem in all game modes.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

Im all for doing my part just as long as everyone else is as well like using yada yada

One ‘should’ do his part, if he knows what that part is.
Some know and do, some don’t know, and the worst: some know and chose not to because of different reasons.

When you condition your choice to do your best like that… that’s kitten.
IMO.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

I don’t mind if people are optimal I’m doing my best to have fun. My focus maybe different that yours. My point is if you insist that other are optimal check yourself first.

I rather you have fun. I rather you stick it out when the run isn’t perfect. I rather lvl 80 player mentor low lvl players. I wish player could actual learn to do dungeon at low lvls rather than having to switch out char for exp at the end of the run. I rather players learn to get throw cm without stealth or ac with out ice bow. These thing are optimal but often hide a players inablility to dodge or deal damage. Sorry if it doesn’t matter to me that we finish a minute or two faster.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

(edited by Serraphin Storm.2369)

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Hohou.1508

I don’t mind if people are optimal I’m doing my best to have fun. My focus maybe different that yours. My point is if you insist that other are optimal check yourself first.

I rather you have fun. I rather you stick it out when the run isn’t perfect. I rather players learn to get throw cm without stealth or ac with out ice bow. These thing are optimal but often hide a players inablility to dodge or deal damage. Sorry if it doesn’t matter to me that we finish a minute or two faster.

Iam not talking about optimalization, about finishing as fast as you can, about skipping half of dungeon with stealth.
Youre playing with 4 other ppl to overcome a dungeon full of loot. And I think every player should somehow contribute to group and support it. What else can ranger bring to group except spotter and spirits? Water field, 10 sec lasting, with 30s cd? Soft cc in form of traps?

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Kaldrys.1978

Kaldrys.1978

A ranger that doesn’t bring spotter+frost spirit is like a warrior that doesn’t bring banners. Funny thing is that a warrior that doesn’t bring banners is about as rare as a ranger that actually brings spotter+frost spirit.

Bear is the traditional tank that gw2 needs btw. Some very interesting uses in fractals and in solo situations.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

What else can ranger bring to group except spotter and spirits? Water field, 10 sec lasting, with 30s cd? Soft cc in form of traps?

Mind these are things you pretty much never see in a pug ranger, even one running spotter/frost, so I do agree with you:

• Good burst for first 10 secs of fight.
  • Vauln application.
  • Might from the pet/Fury from the pet. Two methods to remove Defiant stacks (LB4 and path of scars). Drake can also provide intermittent blast finishers although I don’t like them much.
  • Access to quickness + Signet of the Wild’s +25% damage modifier + an icebow 4 if ele on team = easy GG.
  • Water field also cleanses condi’s.
  • Torch 5 + Warhorn 5 = Firefield + blast before fight.
  • Warhorn blast also useful for smoke fields for stacking stealth before running trash.
  • In a trashy team with crap guardian, Signet of renewal is an instant and powerful party cleanse, example being at the end of AC P2, trash mobs at the detha traps applying a bunch of condis and a fear that can destroy bad teams.
  • Entangle/muddy terrain for CC on things like Tar boss.
  • large area reflect for lupicus when traited into offhand training. As evidenced here: http://youtu.be/eBhXuTQJPLU?list=PL5yrnXqXtyJs_xDbrIjy3qoY2eKQEb30Q

I beg of pugs to please just at the very least run spotter/frost, but if they want to be really useful then run the entire meta build.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bn_BbxLbDY&list=UUXb625IE1vjylfTRW3-B6Lg

(edited by J Eberle.9312)

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

I’m not sure how to wrap my head around comments like this. It’s like adding spotter would mean you had to massively alter your traits, which rarely is the case because rangers usualy go 6 in marksmanship anyway (because they wanna trait their pew pew).

As for traited frost spirit, since people seem to hate adding points in the NM trait line. Adding a 3rd point in nature magic makes you share boons with your pet.. I’m not sure if people understand what a massive improvement that is to your pets overall damage and survivability in dungeons.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Honestly I find optimized group play boring as hell. In fact you kill thing so fast that most dungeon mechanic don’t come in to play. Stealth and porting can make a run faster but I feel it lets new and old player by pass skill development.

I’d agree with that if playing in a pug group with whatever random builds actually made the dungeons less boring. The problem is the brain dead AI and massive health pools means PvE will remain boring. Running random builds just means you are bored for a longer amount of time.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I’m not sure how to wrap my head around comments like this.

O.o

Eh…. Don’t blow a head gasket or anything trying to figure it out. It was just a sarcastic joke not to be taken serious.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Lazze.9870

I’m not sure how to wrap my head around comments like this.

O.o

Eh…. Don’t blow a head gasket or anything trying to figure it out. It was just a sarcastic joke not to be taken serious.

Haha, it doesn’t bother me THAT much. Sarcastic or not, you see plenty rangers with the kind of opinion you expressed. I guess my comment was directed towards those.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Karil.5960

Karil.5960

My build is for support and healing. Frost Spirit is a standard for me, as is my massive healing over time. It does a fair amount of damage, but it’s much better at getting the group as a whole to do tons of damage while living through big hits.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

J Eberle.9312

Now here’s a guy who is not being sarcastic ;)

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

To all Engineers and Mesmers in Mad King’s Labyrinth:

Please stop using Big Ol’ Bomb and Illusionary Wave.

Is that how this works?

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Hohou.1508

My build is for support and healing. Frost Spirit is a standard for me, as is my massive healing over time. It does a fair amount of damage, but it’s much better at getting the group as a whole to do tons of damage while living through big hits.

I didnt start this to criticize ranger as class, you dont have to defend yourself. Its a very good class with interesting mechanics capable of doing great in groups. I meant it to criticize rangers who brings nothing to group, camp in longbow and refuse to learn. Thanks to those ppl you can see in LFG: “P1, no rangers”, “Zerk rush, no rangers”, etc.

(my main in engi, but I have ranger, so I have clue what this class is capable of)

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Karil.5960

I didnt start this to criticize ranger as class, you dont have to defend yourself. Its a very good class with interesting mechanics capable of doing great in groups. I meant it to criticize rangers who brings nothing to group, camp in longbow and refuse to learn.

Wait, wait, I wasn’t being defensive and I didn’t think you were criticising, haha. I was just letting you know that I am the ranger that you’re looking for! I agree with you, but not just for ranger, I think that every class should have some form of support in their build.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Rainbowbird.5871

Rainbowbird.5871

Eh, I don’t think it’ll help to ask for spotter/frost spirit pug rangers at the forums. Most of the pug rangers won’t get anywhere near the forum. So you probably should do as people are saying: put the request for meta builds in the lfg.

Also, I personally do not run spotter/frost spirit, and I don’t want to if people ‘order’ me to do so. Very stubborn, I know, but then again, when I ever actually want to do a dungeon run, I either play with friends, or ask for pug people who are interested in having a fun time in the dungeon, not in finishing the dungeon as time efficient as possible.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

I don’t want to be mean, but the FF:XIV download is taking so long and I’m bored so here it goes: Healing is a wasted stat in GW2 PvE. Support heavy builds are equally bad. I know, we can all play how we want and that’s okay. I just want you to know, that if you ever want to take your game to the next level, you should get rid of the support/defense and learn to live without it while still dealing far superior DPS. There’s a reason for the meta.
And yes, I know there’s certain situations in which blabla etc.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

The meta is only about support, what the kitten are you saying?

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

The meta is max DPS plus support.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Karil.5960

Healing is a wasted stat in GW2 PvE. Support heavy builds are equally bad. I know, we can all play how we want and that’s okay. I just want you to know, that if you ever want to take your game to the next level, you should get rid of the support/defense and learn to live without it while still dealing far superior DPS.

My game is at a pretty high level now, and my guild loves taking me to pvp and dungeons because we don’t die and conditions don’t stick to us. I also do a fair bit of damage, not a ton, but it isn’t something to sneeze at. Healing is amazing in this game when you know how to do it. The only time that the build failed me was when we did a Fractal and got Social Awkwardness.
If I ever get some time to make a video about it, I will, but everyone should realize that support builds are far, far from horrible.

(edited by Karil.5960)

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Someday.3650

Someday.3650

Healing is a wasted stat in GW2 PvE. Support heavy builds are equally bad. I know, we can all play how we want and that’s okay. I just want you to know, that if you ever want to take your game to the next level, you should get rid of the support/defense and learn to live without it while still dealing far superior DPS.

My game is at a pretty high level now, and my guild loves taking me to pvp and dungeons because we don’t die and conditions don’t stick to us. I also do a fair bit of damage, not a ton, but it isn’t something to sneeze at. Healing is amazing in this game when you know how to do it. The only time that the build failed me was when we did a Fractal and got Social Awkwardness.
If I ever get some time to make a video about it, I will, but everyone should realize that support builds are far, far from horrible.

It’s not about “viable” and more about “how fast”. I won’t be stuck on a 40 min long fractal with a healing support ranger, nor with a lb ranger (except some fights). And not to be rude, but your guild a) Are Good friends or b) lack knowledge and/or skill.

In PvE, DPS > Healing

Hence, frost spirit, spotter, sword and wh are a must. Drakes, and the feline with the might f2 are too, and sometimes also a trap fire when your team don’t have a fire field. I’ll go ahead and say that also 5 on NM is a must, otherwhise you’re nerfing your pet, which is 30% (or so, I don’t remember the exact number) of your dps, and anyway you don’t need 6 on Skirmishing because you should be using zerks. Also, and axe for some fights won’t do any harm.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

what Blast options are available for ranger?

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

J Eberle.9312

warhorn 5. Drake also has a blast although u cant really decide when to use that.

@ Someday. The meta build has changed a little, ideal build is 6/5/0/3/0 now. It’s a few changes to add more damage.

Don’t need as many points in Nature magic, and Axe offhand is a better deal than Warhorn while in combat for most cases. Warhorn should mostly be used outside of combat for blasting fire/stealth and providing swiftness.

And agreed, speccing for ‘healing’ is not good idea for PvE on ranger.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Someday.3650

warhorn 5. Drake also has a blast although u cant really decide when to use that.

@ Someday. The new meta is here, ideal build is 6/5/0/3/0. It’s a few changes to add more damage.

Don’t need as many points in Nature magic, and Axe offhand is a better deal than Warhorn while in combat for most cases. Warhorn should mostly be used outside of combat for blasting fire/stealth and providing swiftness.

Uhm I don’t agree with the traits to be honest just because that 5%+ damage is not something reliable on the stack meta, but you always have boons and that 5% also works for the pet, so you’re obtaining that 10% always instead of depending how the stack is or if the boss is using knockbacks. Some people don’t use 5 on NM because they don’t see value on using Spirit Unbound, and I would agree except for the fact that most fights, if the group is somewhat good, won’t last more than 30-40 seconds and then you’re on the run again.
Axe is good, I agree with that, but I won’t let my horn in my inventory while pugging, because most of the time people won’t use blast finishers. I’ve been on parties where I was the only one using it…

But yeah, that isn’t a bad build either.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

J Eberle.9312

@ Someday. The new meta is here, ideal build is 6/5/0/3/0. It’s a few changes to add more damage.

Uhm I don’t agree with the traits to be honest just because that 5%+ damage is not something reliable on the stack meta, but you always have boons and that 5% also works for the pet, so you’re obtaining that 10% always instead of depending how the stack is or if the boss is using knockbacks. Some people don’t use 5 on NM because they don’t see value on using Spirit Unbound, and I would agree except for the fact that most fights, if the group is somewhat good, won’t last more than 30-40 seconds and then you’re on the run again.
Axe is good, I agree with that, but I won’t let my horn in my inventory while pugging, because most of the time people won’t use blast finishers. I’ve been on parties where I was the only one using it…

A little trick to running with just 3 in NM is that once your fight is over and out are out of combat you can swap out frost spirit for something else, eg signet of the hunt to immediately start the 20 second cooldown, I find in many cases by the time I arrive at next fight I have frost spirit back up again to use. I’ll probably only take a point out of skirm and place into NM for unbound for few select things like the end of AC P2 on detha traps where I’m moving between mobs way too frequently for the skill swapping to work out.

I’m not quite sure what you are trying to say about the stack meta. The 10% to your damage and 5% to your pet’s damage from predator’s onslaught is pretty consistent I have found, the mob doesn’t need to be moving, it just has to have one of those conditions on it which is very, very common even in parties where people are completely unaware.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Lazze.9870

Also, I personally do not run spotter/frost spirit, and I don’t want to if people ‘order’ me to do so. Very stubborn

And what if they ask nicely?

No wonder the ranger’s reputation is so bad when even the players that know the benefits FrostSpotter won’t use it.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Someday.3650

A little trick to running with just 3 in NM is that once your fight is over and out are out of combat you can swap out frost spirit for something else, eg signet of the hunt to immediately start the 20 second cooldown, I find in many cases by the time I arrive at next fight I have frost spirit back up again to use. I’ll probably only take a point out of skirm and place into NM for unbound for few select things like the end of AC P2 on detha traps where I’m moving between mobs way too frequently for the skill swapping to work out.

I’m not quite sure what you are trying to say about the stack meta. The 10% to your damage and 5% to your pet’s damage from predator’s onslaught is pretty consistent I have found, the mob doesn’t need to be moving, it just has to have one of those conditions on it which is very, very common even in parties where people are completely unaware.

I was talking about Hunter’s Tactics 10% boost vs the 5% to the ranger and 5% to the pet from running 5 on NM.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

I was talking about Hunter’s Tactics 10% boost vs the 5% to the ranger and 5% to the pet from running 5 on NM.

You’re not only dropping Hunter’s Tactics for Bountiful Hunter, you’re dropping 100 Precision and 100 Ferocity for 100 Vitality/10% boon duration so it’s a bigger trade-off than what you made it to be even if you can’t flank for your life.

Also, Spirits Unbound isn’t your main option if you ever choose to go for Bountiful Hunter, Strength of Spirit is better in most if not all situations if you know how to use Frost Spirit 1337 xploits.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Someday.3650

Well, I don’t agree. I think those 100 from each are overrated on a zerker build. I’ll try to compare both later to see the numbers on a golem tho.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Lazze.9870

Well, I don’t agree. I think those 100 from each are overrated on a zerker build. I’ll try to compare both later to see the numbers on a golem tho.

From what I can see, you’re better off spending your time practicing flanking. You don’t need a 100 % uptime on Hunter’s Tactic for it to be the better choice. The extra points in precision and ferocity are just a bonus.

You’re missing out on companions might too. That may result in a further DPS loss.

Spirit Unbound is redundant. You can simply reset the spirit from your utility bar instead of having it following you. You can stop investing in Nature Magic at Fortifying Bond.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

I’ll give you the numbers now, 100 precision is roughly 4-5% critical chance depending on what precision you have, translating to 4-5% DPS boost, 100 ferocity is 5-6% DPS boost because 99% crit rate is already a given with a ranger and a warrior, that’s 9-11% DPS ranger boost you’re losing.

It’s not “overrated”, it’s objectively better than 1k HP and 10% boon duration, the other damage bonus proc is just a plus.

Oh I also forgot to post earlier, Bountiful Hunger isn’t mathematically a 10% boost in total DPS, your ranger makes up roughly 70-80% and pet makes up 20-30%, haven’t checked the actual number but lets be generous and give the pet 30%.

Rough estimations, no flanking:
Hunter’s Tactics : 70%(x 1.09) + 30%(x1) = 106.3% total DPS
Bountiful Hunter: 70%(x1.05)+ 30%(1.05) = 105% total DPS

So 5 in Skirmishing without flanking already out damages 5 in Nature Magic by 1+%.

With damage modifiers being multiplicative, after you apply 10% to ranger dps you get 8-9% more total DPS with Hunter’s Tactics proccing.

(edited by Izaya.2906)

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Manuelito.6081

Manuelito.6081

I do not see why a ranger would not use Spotter, and frost Spirit (with Vigorous spirit trait in the classic 6/5/0/3/0 and Q. Zephyr + SotW)) in dungeons/fractals. For open world PvE one can use almost whatever.

Weapons should be LB + Sw/Axe (more DPS than Wh). I do not understand why people complain about rangers using LB…maybe they do not know the maths.

[ROCK]
Desolation

(edited by Manuelito.6081)

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Karil.5960

It’s not about “viable” and more about “how fast”. I won’t be stuck on a 40 min long fractal with a healing support ranger, nor with a lb ranger (except some fights). And not to be rude, but your guild a) Are Good friends or b) lack knowledge and/or skill.

In PvE, DPS > Healing

Hence, frost spirit, spotter, sword and wh are a must. Drakes, and the feline with the might f2 are too, and sometimes also a trap fire when your team don’t have a fire field. I’ll go ahead and say that also 5 on NM is a must, otherwise you’re nerfing your pet, which is 30% (or so, I don’t remember the exact number) of your dps, and anyway you don’t need 6 on Skirmishing because you should be using zerks. Also, and axe for some fights won’t do any harm.

I don’t even know the people in my guild outside of the game, but we’re doing really awesome and the guys I run with are very highly skilled, thank you very much. Since my buffs, compounded with theirs increase our damage so much, we run fractals faster than our other groups that do full zergs.

In PvP of all sorts, I always get complimented on how well I can heal people up, cleanse them, and buff them, people around me take a longer time to die meaning we can hold a point better than a full zerg.

I agree with Nature Magic points, and I agree on Skirmishing points. Axe+Warhorn is my secondary set, too.

But I agree, Skill and Knowledge are what is necessary to make a build function, and if someone can’t run a healing and support build then they lack those qualities.

EDIT: If you can’t agree with this, then we shall agree to disagree. I have the facts of experience with my build and guild, and you have some opinion on a broken and one dimensional meta. I won’t be defending an amazing build anymore, if you don’t look into it then it is your loss.

(edited by Karil.5960)

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Yelloweyedemon.2860

The meta is max DPS plus support.

The meta is having 3k toughness, protect me and SoS, double bear and staying at 1.5k range.

L2P people!

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Bloodyhell.8760

Bloodyhell.8760

Oh my….

the “meta” you’re taling about has passed from a lot of time… we’re in 2014… watch latest brazil video about dps ranger meta build to upgrade your poor ranger….

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Yelloweyedemon.2860

Oh my….

the “meta” you’re taling about has passed from a lot of time… we’re in 2014… watch latest brazil video about dps ranger meta build to upgrade your poor ranger….

Not sure if… nvm…

This build is still meta for rangers and it will never change!

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Rainbowbird.5871

Rainbowbird.5871

Also, I personally do not run spotter/frost spirit, and I don’t want to if people ‘order’ me to do so. Very stubborn

And what if they ask nicely?

No wonder the ranger’s reputation is so bad when even the players that know the benefits FrostSpotter won’t use it.

Well yeah, that’s a different story, I’m always open to polite people, but well, I’ve yet to find people who are actually polite to rangers.

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Someday.3650

From what I can see, you’re better off spending your time practicing flanking. You don’t need a 100 % uptime on Hunter’s Tactic for it to be the better choice. The extra points in precision and ferocity are just a bonus.

You’re missing out on companions might too. That may result in a further DPS loss.

Spirit Unbound is redundant. You can simply reset the spirit from your utility bar instead of having it following you. You can stop investing in Nature Magic at Fortifying Bond.

I don’t need to practice flanking, because a) I have a thief and in PVE thief is about flanking, b) I don’t think that always work. It would work that way if the meta wasn’t about stacking and dishing dps. Sometimes when you flank, you force your team to do the same thing or the boss to move from the spot it should be, hence it’s not always a good way to go and you know that.

Btw, I don’t lose companions might because I do run 3 on skirm. Actually I didnt say in this post that running skirmishing was a total lost, I did say that prefer 5 on NM instead of 5 on Skirm because the differences are not that big and boost from NM is more reliable. So what you are saying isn’t exact because I do have some of that critical and ferocity. What I’m saying is that pulling criticals and flanking all the time won’t be as good as having all the boons you will have for more time. Take for example Rampage as One, is a might scalling skill with stability, both things really usefull on hard boss fights. Which of this is better, having a 5-6% boost on damage on 2 hits and then get a knockback that cuts all dps, or a constant influx of dps without that 5-6%. Yeah I know that in the paper seems a bit better, but that doesn’t necessarily translate to the game.

I’ll give you the numbers now, 100 precision is roughly 4-5% critical chance depending on what precision you have, translating to 4-5% DPS boost, 100 ferocity is 5-6% DPS boost because 99% crit rate is already a given with a ranger and a warrior, that’s 9-11% DPS ranger boost you’re losing.

It’s not “overrated”, it’s objectively better than 1k HP and 10% boon duration, the other damage bonus proc is just a plus.

Oh I also forgot to post earlier, Bountiful Hunger isn’t mathematically a 10% boost in total DPS, your ranger makes up roughly 70-80% and pet makes up 20-30%, haven’t checked the actual number but lets be generous and give the pet 30%.

Rough estimations, no flanking:
Hunter’s Tactics : 70%(x 1.09) + 30%(x1) = 106.3% total DPS
Bountiful Hunter: 70%(x1.05)+ 30%(1.05) = 105% total DPS

So 5 in Skirmishing without flanking already out damages 5 in Nature Magic by 1+%.

With damage modifiers being multiplicative, after you apply 10% to ranger dps you get 8-9% more total DPS with Hunter’s Tactics proccing.

I totally agree with your math but not with your point of view. As I’ve said, I think those 2 traits on NM are more reliable than on Skirm. What I did say about the 5% on each is that most people ignore the existence of BH and because of that they think the difference is really big when it really isn’t.

Without flanking you have a 1%+ and I don’t think flanking is reliable hence I prefer having the boon share and boon duration, which also translate into damage and survivability because of fury, migth, etc.

Also, be honest, let’s say you’re actually procing HT and you have that 10% more dps. That’s what, 100-400 more damage depending on the dungeon.

I know you think is by far better, I just don’t see it. At least not in this game where most of the fights are about stacking tight and sharing boons.

Edit: Sorry for my english, it isn’t my main language :P. And I won’t keep reading comments relatated with this because I know that in the numbers it looks better. You can even call it a win if you want.

(edited by Someday.3650)

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Someday.3650

In PvE, DPS > Healing

Hence, frost spirit, spotter, sword and wh are a must. Drakes, and the feline with the might f2 are too, and sometimes also a trap fire when your team don’t have a fire field. I’ll go ahead and say that also 5 on NM is a must, otherwise you’re nerfing your pet, which is 30% (or so, I don’t remember the exact number) of your dps, and anyway you don’t need 6 on Skirmishing because you should be using zerks. Also, and axe for some fights won’t do any harm.

I don’t even know the people in my guild outside of the game, but we’re doing really awesome and the guys I run with are very highly skilled, thank you very much. Since my buffs, compounded with theirs increase our damage so much, we run fractals faster than our other groups that do full zergs.

In PvP of all sorts, I always get complimented on how well I can heal people up, cleanse them, and buff them, people around me take a longer time to die meaning we can hold a point better than a full zerg.

I agree with Nature Magic points, and I agree on Skirmishing points. Axe+Warhorn is my secondary set, too.

But I agree, Skill and Knowledge are what is necessary to make a build function, and if someone can’t run a healing and support build then they lack those qualities.

EDIT: If you can’t agree with this, then we shall agree to disagree. I have the facts of experience with my build and guild, and you have some opinion on a broken and one dimensional meta. I won’t be defending an amazing build anymore, if you don’t look into it then it is your loss.

I don’t think that any of the ranger builds could be consider rocket science. That being said, is not about how complex or how much skills it needs but how the game is designed. Healing in pve isn’t the way to go. In WvW or in low mmr PvP it could be great and fun, that’s for sure.

And yeah, I don’t see how you could possibly do better time with your group than a damage speced one. But hey, you can play the way you like, so if it works for you and your guild kudos.

(edited by Someday.3650)

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Lazze.9870

Btw, I don’t lose companions might because I do run 3 on skirm.

If you’re not losing companins might, you’re losing pet’s prowess. My point still stands, hunter’s tacticts and 100 points in precision and ferocity aren’t the only things you’re missng out on. You’re also missing out on CM or PP. BOTH of them are a dps boost.

With the fgs meta out of the picture, several bosses can be dealt with head on without stacking. People just don’t seem to realize it, and look like a big stupid question mark whenever you tell them that stacking in a corner is a waste of time. There are several dungeon runs where procing hunter’s tacticts isn’t a problem and will be a dps boost in the longer run.

Arguing against that just makes you look unaware.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Please, use frost spirit and spotter when being in dungeon group. It can be easy incorporated in your built. Please…

You can keep pewpewing with longbow, knockbacking everything and doing pitifull damage, just use spotter and frost spirit, pretty please…

Haha, sure… As long as you are playing your class specific meta, complete with party buffs, and can stay on your feet for more than 5s. Otherwise… I might just drop all my pet boons for healers clarity (to mop you off the floor) and swap frosty for protect me so
I don’t get downed while kneeling by your corpse…

To nail the last stake in the coffin, I’ll even swap out spotter for arrows shoot through targets if I detect low DPS allies. If you see skilled Rangers running non-meta it may have more to do with you being horribad.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

To all PvE rangers

in Ranger

Hohou.1508

Haha, sure… As long as you are playing your class specific meta, complete with party buffs, and can stay on your feet for more than 5s. Otherwise… I might just drop all my pet boons for healers clarity (to mop you off the floor) and swap frosty for protect me so
I don’t get downed while kneeling by your corpse…

To nail the last stake in the coffin, I’ll even swap out spotter for arrows shoot through targets if I detect low DPS allies. If you see skilled Rangers running non-meta it may have more to do with you being horribad.

Thank you for “polite and intelligent” reply.

But I actually havent seen skilled ranger WITHOUT spotter and frost spirit.