Torch needs utility.

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

So, I think the torch needs some more utility as it could be a great weapon, I think throw torch should be a blast finisher and affect an area, but also include blindness and a shorter burn duration. Bonfire would be cool if it cast in front of you instead of below you or be ground targeted, cure immob and weakness on allies and give short duration vigor. Lore wise I think that’s pretty cool and fun utility.

Any other ideas?

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Yeah I wouldn’t mind torch #5 having a ground targetting radial.

Not to sure about some of your suggestions like a blind.

I believe what the developers did was split a decent idea into 2 skills and that kinda gimps it as a weapon. There should be 1 skill to throw and burn a target that also sets fire to the ground. Now you have room for a useful skill to add.

Personally I wouldn’t mind the Ranger torch having a reveal skill.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

If someone throws a torch in your face, you’ll probably be blinded, especially if it showers sparks over an area. Just seems boring with only a burn. I’d prefer small are dmg, a 3s burn and blind over an area. Maybe a blast finisher or even a smoke field. Just something other than just burning.

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

I would personally love a daze on throw torch and a cures chilled and cripple on bonfire

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

Throw Torch should definitely get some kind of an improvement. Blind makes sense and maybe some kind of a finisher added to the skill would have been nice. Unless they were to totaly rework the weapon, which I doubt they ever will. Bonfire I don’t really mind as it is.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

GOSU.9574

Blind is so easily removed I find it a bit useless in wvw. In PvP I have a use for it, but I use a Raven for that if I want a blind currently.

Now a Reveal vs Mesmers and Thieves work in both formats, can’t be easily removed (have to wait it out), and I would find that much, much more useful.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Burning, Blind and Stealth would all fit the theme of a torch. Smoke Field too for example.

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Smoke field following the fire field on bonfire has been my suggestion. You could get some nice blind and stealth combos off of those.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

GOSU.9574

Smoke field following the fire field on bonfire has been my suggestion. You could get some nice blind and stealth combos off of those.

You remind me about something I have come up fairly often in my thoughts on Ranger, I miss Dust Trap (GW1). Recently I was thinking about it’s potential abilities in GW2, with pulsing blinds and reduced ranged damage taken while within it’s area.

Sadly, they put it on the necro.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

I’m pretty happy with the torch skills. Yeah they’re not the greatest, but if you make every skill great they’ll all be average. They’re some of the longest burns in the game, and they have a good burn duration-to-cooldown ratio.

The only changes I’d make are:

• Can’t Throw Torch without a target. I can’t count how many times I’ve wasted it because of this. Or if you throw it without a target, it makes a bonfire-like burning patch on the ground (the NPCs do this when they throw a torch).
  • Increase the radius of Bonfire to encompass all melee. Right now it’s 120 radius, and needs to be increased to about 220-250. Bonfire should be a position denial tool. If you’re being attacked by melee and you drop bonfire, your opponent should be forced to choose between continuing to attack and taking burning damage, or stop attacking to avoid burning damage. But with the current radius all they do is tap the ‘s’ key to back off a bit and continue meleeing.
  • Make Bonfire an AOE that hits up to 5 targets. For some inexplicable reason it’s coded as a melee attack and limited to 3 targets like a cleave.

You remind me about something I have come up fairly often in my thoughts on Ranger, I miss Dust Trap (GW1). Recently I was thinking about it’s potential abilities in GW2, with pulsing blinds and reduced ranged damage taken while within it’s area.

Sadly, they put it on the necro.

Someone posted half-jokingly (I think) that there wasn’t supposed to be a ranger in GW2, so they gave all the great GW1 ranger abilities to other professions. The more I think about it, the more true it seems.

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I would personally love a daze on throw torch and a cures chilled and cripple on bonfire

Dunno about the cripple, but definitely chilled and weakness removal and a daze on throw torch would also be great, allowing it to work with MoC;
Throw Torch;
1s Daze and 3s of burning to target foe
1s burn and 3s blindness to 180 area
Blast finisher.

Bonfire
180 radius
Cures weakness and chilled in a 240 radius
4s fire field
4x 1.5s burn
4s smoke field
4x 1s blind
Targets 5
Ground targeted

Now that would be cool!

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

Posted by: snow.8097

snow.8097

to make #4 viable for power builds i suggested to make it a chain skill
first cast let u swallow the flame and gain some stacks of might over short time, the second cast is the normal throw torch skill.

Safi/Clio Del Ray |Ranger, Elonas Reach,
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestions-Gemstore-Items/page/31#post4533037
the skrittfinisher was my idea!

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

GOSU.9574

Boon stripping. Sorely lacking for Ranger.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Pulling this one up from the depths, because I really think the torch needs something else. Who has some ideas?

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

Posted by: borya.2964

borya.2964

The torch is a condition damage based weapon, basically, the highest source of damage in a classical A/D and S/T build. It need nothing that would shut down the burning duration.

Pulling this one up from the depths, because I really think the torch needs something else. Who has some ideas?

A pull ofc, what else ?

Coffin Rehearsal X – Bunker Roaming Ranger
Tchuu Tchuu Im A Train [TCHU] – Gandara
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChUmRHtHLgPckvtrPImxK3A

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

A bit faster projectile speed of Throw Torch would be nice. Revealed on Bonfire?

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

They already increased the projectile speed, but yeah, a bit more would be nice, like 20% more.

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

I like the idea of combining the throw and bonfire into one ability.

That would then allow the other ability to work like a Ranger preparation … for the next X seconds your attacks inflict Burning.

This seems plausible given that the Guardians have a Torch skill (Zealot’s Flame) that burns targets around them every pulse.

I’d also be fine (see: friggin love) the boon removal that was suggested :-p

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

Torch needs utility.

in Ranger

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

A blind would be nice, always felt Ranger lacked in that area, besides Raven pet.