Trait QoL/Improvements

Trait QoL/Improvements

in Ranger

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

There are several different traits the ranger has which have some useful core design but are either kinda flawed or have to strong competitors.

I am going Through several Traitlines and give some suggestion on the lesser used ones.

First of all: The falling trait. They are pretty much only used on F2P accounts or in WvW.
give them some flavour to them. Not just use skill X when taking falling dmg and reduce falling dmg buut also give some other bonusses as well.

Wilderness Survival:

Expertise Training is kinda dull but useful for condi. Some flavour would be nice but not needed.

Refined Toxins: Cut the ICD down, its not used because the poison stacks are gone after the 10s. 3s ICD would be good IMO, it would reward the player for keeping himself save and it would improve poison ranger.

Shared anguish: The CD is higher than other CC breaker skills but i p3ersonally would change this skill to survival Instinct: activate QZ when you got stunned. CD stays the same for obvious reasons and the pet does not suffer.
It will provide dmg counter and synergize with survival trait.

Ambidexterity, also very dull trait which could use some flavor.

Empathic Bond: Again some kind of a pet suffer mechanic. I would suggest you cleanse 2 conditions and stunbreak on pet swap ( strong PvP trait that would need killing the pet for better CCing). This would provide better control over the condi cleanse.

Poison Master:
Increased duration is good.
2 stacks are very few and only the pet does apply them. I would suggest: On pet swap the ranger produces a poisonfield on its position for some 4s. 1 stack poison every second and a combofield obviously.
This would give Poison Ranger again more possibilities and one more field to synergize with.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

Trait QoL/Improvements

in Ranger

InsaneQR.7412

The other traitlines will follow soon.

Pale Raiders united.

Trait QoL/Improvements

in Ranger

InsaneQR.7412

Skirmishing:

Trappers Expertise:
When getting stunned you lay down a Spiketrap.
This will not give you a Stunbreak but it will give you air and a good CC on your enemy. Cd reduction as default

Sharpened Edges: Got nerfed is still good but kinda dull
Would be interesting if you would have a 20% chance on crit to activate sharpening stone, this would give synergy and the wanted bleed effects. Sharpening stone cannot be applied if you already have it obviously for balancing. This suggestion is rather optional.

Striders defense: Gain reflection when gaining vigor. Sword attacks recharge faster.
It gives this skill a controllable component and synergy with primal reflexes.

Light on Your feet: Increased Condi dmg and duration while under the effects of swiftness. SB skills pierce and recharge faster. Removes the waist of endurance to be useful and gives synergy with a lot of ranger skills.

Most dangerous game:
This trait has 2 major flaws. It needs the ranger to have low life and it has a too short boonduration.
My suggestion: When evading an attack share all your boons with your pet and gain 2 stacks of might. for some short amount. ICD is slightly under the might duration to reward good gameplay.

Marksamnship:

Minors:
Merge alphatraining and opening strike. Move precise strike to master. New GM Minor trait: Furious Strike: Gain opening Strike when gaining fury.

Remorseless: Opening Strike does more dmg. it gives you one stack of unblockable when you gain opening strike. (ICD 10s).

Clarion Bond: Change the CD to 20s (this is a 33% reduction), and cut the boon duration also 33%. This would streamline it without letting it lose impact.

Predators Instinct: Cut the CD down to 15s. Additionally Cripple is more effective and reduces movements speed 75%.

Steady Focus: Default + gain vigor after dodging (This does not punish the will to survive)

Brutish Seals: Add fury to the might for more synergy.

Lead the wind: Also increase movement speed and endurance regen.
This will go well with steady Focus and skirmishing.

Pale Raiders united.

(edited by InsaneQR.7412)

Trait QoL/Improvements

in Ranger

InsaneQR.7412

Nature Magic:
Fortifying bond: This should work back and forth. When your pet gains a new boon you get it too and if you get a boon your pet get it too. Swap with Invigorating Bond. Because the healing of invigorating Bond is not competitive with Nature ward or Natures Vengeance(if Spirits are used). Also its has a very good spot as a minor and Fortifying Bond would be very powerful GM with this change.

Bountiful Hunter: Also increase Condi Dmg not solely dmg per boon.(This should apply to all profession skills with this design thou)

Beastmastery:
Every Trait is Fine EXCEPT:

Honed Axes (obviously):
Winters BIte is AoE on default and not trait required.
While wielding an Axe in mainhand you gain condition duration while wielding it in the offhand you gain Ferocity. Axe recharge faster.

Pale Raiders united.

Trait QoL/Improvements

in Ranger

InsaneQR.7412

Every constructive critic is welcome.

Pale Raiders united.

Trait QoL/Improvements

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Hmm… If talking purely trait modification without touching utilities and so-forth, I think a bit of refining can be done. Improvements that build more meaningful and create new synergies.

• Opening Strike & Alpha Training merged. Furious Strike minor suggestion is good.
  • Clarion Bond suggestion is good.
  • Predator’s Instinct: Gain a stack (5s) that increases attack speed by +2% when you apply or strike a foe with chill, cripple, or immobilize. Stacks up to 5 times. Synergizes with all of the weapons available for Ranger and other Marksmanship traits.
  • Remorseless: Opening Strikes deal +25% damage. Gain might (3 stacks, 5s) when you deal damage with an Opening Strike. Builds momentum and adds an incentive for the player to keep attacking a foe “remorselessly.”
  • Lead the Wind: Remove the attack speed modifier. Introduce a 1½s immobilize on Barrage’s first hit. Rather than having a modifier that increases longbow’s damage, increase its ability to snare.

• Strider’s Defense moved to Grandmaster: 100% chance to destroy projectiles (2s) with melee attacks when you apply vigor to yourself. Sword skills deal +10% more damage and recharge 20% faster. Self-applied vigor keeps it in check and projectile destruction when using melee attacks is more active than gaining reflection.
  • Most Dangerous Game moved to Master: Gain might (5s) for every second you have vigor. Creates synergy with Primal Reflexes & Strider’s Defense without adding power creep to a traitline dedicated to critical strikes and traps.
  • Light on Your Feet: Gain +10% condition damage while you have swiftness. Shortbow skills recharge 20% faster and pierce. Sacrifices the damage and duration modifier for just condition damage, but adds synergy with traits, utilities, and shortbow that applies swiftness.

• Shared Anguish changed to Call of Protection (GW1 skill): When disabled by a foe, your Pet taunts that foe (2s) – 60s ICD. Read suggestions in Beastmastery for creating a new Taunt synergy for Rangers involving the Pet.
  • Refined Toxins: Health threshold reduced from 90% to 75%. When you or your Pet poison a foe, also apply vulnerability (4s). This beefs up poison Rangers to go more on the offensive; further utilizing Pets and those that inflict or create poison fields, such as Spiders, Devourers, and the Murellow.

• Nature’s Vengeance also increase the passive range of Spirits by 50% as a compromise for losing Spirits Unbound.

• Wilting Strike replaces Go For the Eyes and inflicts cripple instead of weakness to synergize with Marksmanship. Rangers were good before Go For the Eyes, and we would be fine without it.
  • Two-Handed Training: Greatsword and Spears skills recharge 20% faster and deal +5% damage. Gain fury (3s) when you stun, daze, or knockback a foe with a weapon skill. This change allows Two-Handed Training to work with (core) Ranger’s two-handed weapons which have access to these hard crowd controls.
  • Feral Aggression (GW1 skill) as a new Master trait: When your Pet taunts a foe, cast “Sic ’em!” on that foe – 40s ICD, can be reduced with Resounding Timbre. This creates a new Taunt synergy for core Ranger specs. With Call of Protection, when you are disabled, your Pet taunts that foe and becomes enraged. Likewise with “Protect Me!” and Beastly Warden. Instead of giving the Ranger an offensive boost when bouncing back, this synergy gives it to the Pet instead to utilize our profession’s mechanic.
  • Honed Axes: Axe skills recharge 20% faster. Gain a stacking buff (5s) that increases critical hit chance by +2% whenever you strike a foe with an axe skill. Stacks up to 10 times. Winter’s Bite aoe is baseline. Increased critical hit chance benefits all builds, and with a stacking buff that requires the Ranger to constantly attack, this ensures the trait is active and not some passive buff for – what is essentially – more fury (I’m looking at you, Roiling Mist).

I’d like those changes. More synergy within core Ranger, creates new synergies within and with other traitlines, and adds more uses and involvement with Pets.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

(edited by Wondrouswall.7169)

Trait QoL/Improvements

in Ranger

InsaneQR.7412

I like your changes too i have to say. I tried to keep mine simple and as you said my main goal was synergy and more pet uses instead of abuses.
I am actually doing another thread about solely skills after this one.

Ps: I like your most dangerous game suggestion. Mine was kinda overkill.

Pale Raiders united.

Trait QoL/Improvements

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Looking forward to it

I’m really curious about what makes it on the list of skills, as I can’t think of too many besides the ones that are occasionally brought up, like Muddy Terrain and Frost Trap.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Trait QoL/Improvements

in Ranger

InsaneQR.7412

Looking forward to it

I’m really curious about what makes it on the list of skills, as I can’t think of too many besides the ones that are occasionally brought up, like Muddy Terrain and Frost Trap.

Signet, spirits, some insight in lesser used traps(including FT of course) and MT and heals.
I also will put weaponskill suggestions in this coming thread.

Pale Raiders united.