Trap Improvements! Discuss!

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

We really don’t gain anything by combining trap traits only to introduce another mandatory in its place.

There’s nothing wrong with making spike trap just break stun on use. Especially if we leave it the way it is now with only a single use, no pulse damage.

IMO, the goal really shouldn’t be to make trap rangers better (they’re already one of the best specs we have), but rather to make traps more useful to those who don’t get the traits.

Spike trap immobilizing and breaking stun by default and all traps removing a boon when triggered would make people at least consider using a trap.

You could then introduce the above mentioned traits to make them ranged and another to increase the number of boons removed to 2.

That way you could still play a condi ranger or power ranger with a trap and not feel kitten but also reward players who want to play a trapper ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Stun removal would be the best improvement. When they re-distributed the stun breaks last year they said every class build would have access to them but they left out the trap ranger.

If a stun break was added, I dont think it should be limited to one trap unless that trap is severely underpowered; they are all good however. Also the cooldowns are too short so it would be OP.

However a new trap would fit, like a trap that stuns while removing stun, or one that teleports, etc.

Alternately… make every trap laid refresh shared anguish (when traited). Low cooldown countered by the fact it pooches your pooch. And shared anguish isnt as powerful as a stun break so if you have a chance to refresh it not as big a deal.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

(edited by Kilger.5490)

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

I think we can all agree that having a stun break would be awesome with traps. But I just done see it likely. We have to pick something that makes sense for a trap. I dont think we can expect traps to remove stun from us. But if we choose a trap specifically designed to help us out when we ARE stunned. That I can see.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

A trait that breaks stun would get around the problem of having a stun breaker available every couple seconds from it triggering on trap use. “Trapper’s Focus: Stun break on trap deployment, CD 25 seconds.” It prevents a non-trappers from taking traps purely for fast-acting stun breaks, and makes sense from a GW1 perspective as well, where trapper’s focus prevented you from being “stunned” (interrupted) when deploying traps.

As long as the must-have traits for trappers are condensed a bit, I don’t think it’s a problem.

in Ranger

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

The issue I see with a stunbreak trait for traps is that it is either abusive (no or too low cooldown) or too hard to micromanage (cooldown not aligning with utility cooldowns etc.).

Wouldn’t a Trapper’s Focus in GW2 be more like: “Gain 1s of Stability when deploying a trap?”. I could also see a trait which grants -x% CC duration per equipped trap utility. A stunbreak feels way too convenient, though.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

I could also see a trait which grants -x% CC duration per equipped trap utility. A stunbreak feels way too convenient, though.

Something along those lines gets around the fact that traits don’t have visual clues to their timers. When I made the suggestion of a cooldown on stunbreak, I was thinking in the back of my head of a suggestion that weirdo veewee made about making traits more visual; you’d probably need some sort of icon in the buff/condi bar when the trait was ready. And that in turn leads to the problem of too many things in random locations you and your opponents need to read, and not making it intuitive. And the counterargument to that is that people who care about the CD of traits are probably playing competitively at a high level. Meh.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

Only real way to make Traps viable is putting them all into Trapper’s bundle and adding “Dust Trap” which blinds like we had in GW1. Works just like kit’s but its our own style.

There is no need to revamps or movement of trap traits, this would give us them 2 extra Utilite slots we require for skills like Stone/Renewal combo. Problem solved and Trap Ranger would be viable.

I can already see 3-4 different amulet options depending on your roll.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Only real way to make Traps viable is putting them all into Trapper’s bundle and adding “Dust Trap” which blinds like we had in GW1. Works just like kit’s but its our own style.

There is no need to revamps or movement of trap traits, this would give us them 2 extra Utilite slots we require for skills like Stone/Renewal combo. Problem solved and Trap Ranger would be viable.

I can already see 3-4 different amulet options depending on your roll.

This is probably the best, and easiest solution.

Otherwise I think we need to merge master and GM traits, and add a new GM trait which adds 2s stability on trap deployment.

I don’t want a new trap added (unless it is part of a bundle), as I feel trappers need to take spike, flame and poison in order to be remotely viable.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

I don’t want a new trap added (unless it is part of a bundle), as I feel trappers need to take spike, flame and poison in order to be remotely viable.

I always felt poison trap was sort of garbage. Trappers are almost certainly using SB, sword, dagger, spiders, or all 4 at the same time.

in Ranger

Xaylin.1860

You just made yourself an Engineer with evades, weapon swap and a pet.

Otherwise I think we need to merge master and GM traits, and add a new GM trait which adds 2s stability on trap deployment.

2s feels a bit too much. When adding evades you could easily become unCCable.

in Ranger

Sube Dai.8496

I always felt poison trap was sort of garbage. Trappers are almost certainly using SB, sword, dagger, spiders, or all 4 at the same time.

3 Traps, Longbow, Celestial Amulet, Lyssa Runes, Drakhound/Wolf – its awesome.

Poison Trap’s relatively high physical damage also works well with Celestial.

You just made yourself an Engineer with evades, weapon swap and a pet.

2s feels a bit too much. When adding evades you could easily become unCCable.

Yeh that would actually be crazy uptime…maybe only 1 second then, and given that it might not necessarily be when you want it that could be a good compromise.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Yes although the idea of stunbreakers and provides stability would be so great, i still find it selfish, it would still not be beneficial for your team other than condition bombing (necro or engie looks at you).

Also that condition bombing is only 3-4 unique conditions at the cost of 3 traps.

That’s why we need a trait that added more conditions to traps and boon strip IMO.

With that, now we can also cover conditions, boonstrip and deal damage at the same time, better than traps now IMO.

But hey, The concept of stun break of running 3 traps is still a necessity. I am thinking 3 traits minimum. Boon strip, added conditions, and stability/ stun breaker.

Maybe.

Trap Trait

Strips 2 Boons, You and x Radius gain Stability for X seconds.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

(edited by StickerHappy.8052)

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

I admit that they should work better without any traits (as EVERYTHING).

So it mostly works as intended, and there are more important ranger things to fix than Traps.

Than sounds like “I dont play traps so it doesn’t matter to me”. I think there’s some consensus about traps being the way to make ranger somewhat viable (and some pet fixes). After all, traps are our only real AOE.

Yep that sounds about like it. I think we and the mesmer forums share the same thing too,. there is a divide over the class itself. Oh dont forget Entangle is our AOE although it is not a trap.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Ranger

Kilger.5490

Dont knock poison trap. You might be thinking too much of spvp or 1-1. I like poison trap because it poisons a zerg (though youre right I use sword and marsh drake). Its also direct damage and pulses unlike spike trap, so good chance to trigger flame burst and it really spreads it around. I really like poison. It definately shows you who is packing the condi removal in a crowd. Its also on a low cooldown so works well with trapper runes.

Stability is a great idea, I third/fourth that.

Kilger – Human Ranger
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Posted by: Kolisch.4691

Kolisch.4691

Dont knock poison trap. You might be thinking too much of spvp or 1-1. I like poison trap because it poisons a zerg (though youre right I use sword and marsh drake). Its also direct damage and pulses unlike spike trap, so good chance to trigger flame burst and it really spreads it around. I really like poison. It definately shows you who is packing the condi removal in a crowd. Its also on a low cooldown so works well with trapper runes.

Because of the weapon set that I’m using (no SB), I am also very fond of Viper’s Nest. I want to keep my evades for a situation that calls for it (to sync with a mesmer’s shatter burst etc, or the burst in the rotation of any other class) and not for just applying poison.

We can already get AOEs for torment (torment sigil), bleeds (in a trapper build just about every hit can bleed), burning (torch is way better and reliable than flame trap in keeping burning up; flame trap won’t be needed, and also pointless, if you use torch because burning doesn’t stack in intensity) and Viper’s Nest adds more to your AOE kitten nal. Because it pulses 3 times (traps can crit), in my build it also increases rate of proc-ing torments and bleeds from sigil/traits, all in a very short cool-down. It is, to me, the MVP of all traps. I have been playing trap ranger for 1 1/2 years now roaming in wvw, so if anyone wants to discuss it in PM, feel free to message me as I don’t like reading the forums much.

HoT = Grind Wars 2
HoT = WvW players forced to PVE

in Ranger

Posted by: sendaf.8375

sendaf.8375

I think they should keep stunbreaks out of traps; instead we should be forced to make the decision of either filling our utilities with 3 traps and no stunbreak to capitalize on our trait sync, or bring 2 traps and a stunbreak for survivability.

What they need to do is make sure that bringing 3 traps is rewarding enough to make up for not having a stunbreak. The could do this by either buffing the 2 trap traits in existence or rolling them into a single GM trait.

Of course this could all be solved by adding an Elite or a Heal trap.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

What about an interrupt, by a short stun when the trap is activated?
With that you’ve the chance, that the enemy stays longer in the trap, if he forgets to dodge after stun or goes backwards. A stun of 0.5 sec is not too much to be overpowered, but it is annoying.
If you stack all traps on the same point, the stun is not additive. So it makes more sense to spread the traps. And if you try to throw it to the enemy, the enemy can react and dodge to avoid the stun.

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

With that you’ve the chance, that the enemy stays longer in the trap, if he forgets to dodge after stun or goes backwards. A stun of 0.5 sec is not too much to be overpowered, but it is annoying.
If you stack all traps on the same point, the stun is not additive. So it makes more sense to spread the traps. And if you try to throw it to the enemy, the enemy can react and dodge to avoid the stun.

This is more in line with what a trap actually is. Instead of a stun break. Something you can use to the same effect. They stun you but they set off a trap that either knocks them back or stuns them in return. Negating there abilitiy to take advantage of the stun.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Sube Dai.8496

I think they should keep stunbreaks out of traps; instead we should be forced to make the decision of either filling our utilities with 3 traps and no stunbreak to capitalize on our trait sync, or bring 2 traps and a stunbreak for survivability.

What they need to do is make sure that bringing 3 traps is rewarding enough to make up for not having a stunbreak. The could do this by either buffing the 2 trap traits in existence or rolling them into a single GM trait.

Consolidating the traits is not a buff as there is nothing else you can take anyway.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

StickerHappy.8052

This is more in line with what a trap actually is. Instead of a stun break. Something you can use to the same effect. They stun you but they set off a trap that either knocks them back or stuns them in return. Negating there abilitiy to take advantage of the stun.

I agree entirely, the thing is, the traps should keep them in the trap long enough or make them impede any advances, IMO thats what a trap should be, if they had KD or Immob, or Cripple when traited it will be also a good idea.

EX:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tripwire

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

Someone made a suggestion of a heal trap; I propose classifying Healing Spring as a trap, just like its GW1 version:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Healing_Spring

Should make the class more attractive in WvW and maybe even more criticized in PvP.

(edited by Sarision.6347)

in Ranger

Sol.4310

Let’s be real we complained about traps
For almost a year they gave us poison trap now has poison field there won’t be any trap changes

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in Ranger

StickerHappy.8052

For almost a year they gave us poison trap now has poison field there won’t be any trap changes

Better than nothing I guess, lets see after the fraking tournies, maybe thats the time when they finally do something new about gw2.

in Ranger

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

You guys are trying to buff traps way too much. An extra condition per trap and perhaps merging the traits would be good enough. Adding stun breaks, boon strips or immobilize on them would make them insanely overpowered. Imagine that in WvW on someone with full guard and corruption stacks and food.. No thanks.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Ranger

Kilger.5490

1 second of stability (traited) seems like it wouldnt be OP. They did say they wanted to share around stun breaks to all lines way back when they where doing that. It would mitigate the trapper rangers glaring weakness slightly.

Kilger – Human Ranger
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Xaylin.1860

You guys are trying to buff traps way too much. An extra condition per trap and perhaps merging the traits would be good enough. Adding stun breaks, boon strips or immobilize on them would make them insanely overpowered. Imagine that in WvW on someone with full guard and corruption stacks and food.. No thanks.

I’d actually say that one additional condition per Trap would be worse than 1s Stability when deploying them via trait. Trappers already dish out enough conditions and I do not see the need to buff their overall performance in that department. However, there most certainly is a need to revisit the traits. I also feel that the increased duration should be baseline to make untraited Traps slightly more attractive. The traits could instead grant a different defensive/survivability related benefit to open up some build diversity.

I’m not a big fan of the boon stripping/corruption on Traps, though. That’s something Necromancers and Mesmers should be good at, not Rangers. Boon stripping Traps would easily become the most potent boon removal ingame which alienates those other two classes. I understand the desire to bring group support when playing a Trapper but maybe those utilities aren’t just the right choice for that job.

in Ranger

Posted by: sendaf.8375

sendaf.8375

Consolidating the traits is not a buff as there is nothing else you can take anyway.

It definitely is a buff as it gives you 1 more trait to choose from. I would love to have the faster SB recharge on my trapper. Its not a huge buff but it can make a difference. faster applications of poison, cripple, and bleed is great for a condi ranger…

in Ranger

Aleksander Suburb.4287

That’s something Necromancers and Mesmers should be good at, not Rangers. Boon stripping Traps would easily become the most potent boon removal ingame which alienates those other two classes. I understand the desire to bring group support when playing a Trapper but maybe those utilities aren’t just the right choice for that job.

What about revealed ? It should be used more and traps can be the right choice for this. I think the thief traps should do the same thing.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

That’s something Necromancers and Mesmers should be good at, not Rangers. Boon stripping Traps would easily become the most potent boon removal ingame which alienates those other two classes. I understand the desire to bring group support when playing a Trapper but maybe those utilities aren’t just the right choice for that job.

What about revealed ? It should be used more and traps can be the right choice for this. I think the thief traps should do the same thing.

good idea the first form of Aoe Stealth Denial might do some good in WvW.

in Ranger

StickerHappy.8052

I’d actually say that one additional condition per Trap would be worse than 1s Stability when deploying them via trait. Trappers already dish out enough conditions and I do not see the need to buff their overall performance in that department. However, there most certainly is a need to revisit the traits. I also feel that the increased duration should be baseline to make untraited Traps slightly more attractive. The traits could instead grant a different defensive/survivability related benefit to open up some build diversity.

I’m not a big fan of the boon stripping/corruption on Traps, though. That’s something Necromancers and Mesmers should be good at, not Rangers. Boon stripping Traps would easily become the most potent boon removal ingame which alienates those other two classes. I understand the desire to bring group support when playing a Trapper but maybe those utilities aren’t just the right choice for that job.

Im sorry but i disagree with your statement that traps dish out a lot of condis already.

This is false. Traps by themselves give only 3 unique conditions, (most classes cleanse them by twos, and remember they can just get out of the trap)

That being said, those 3 conditions are by slotting 3 traps, Chill, Burns, Poison or Bleeds. We only gain an additional bleed for the Sharpened E. Trait.

So that running 3 traps, no stun break, no on demand cleanse. I would like to face that on my mesmer.

Also Yes, mesmers are kings of boon removal, I know this for a fact since I main mesmer. Okay so remove boon removal from traps, so you just basically admitted that rangers are of no use in high lvl tpvp. right?

So what good are traps anyway? Condis? My Torment Shatter mesmer can load better than that.

I’m listing additional effects to traps so we could also get into lineups. If we buff/tweak traps, then as a player outside looking in, I might just bring a ranger instead of a MtD mes.

Imagine, traps, aoe, removes boons, i can combo more with my pet, aoe immob. entangle, oh guess what? Traps are also fields, combo more. + they will do another unique condi. above all i can choose to use SB and flank from range.

(edited by StickerHappy.8052)

in Ranger

Sol.4310

Trap ranger is really strong things that hurt the build.

No mobility, limited survival.

Reason trap ranger worked well many light years ago was due to how EB worked, to take a strong trap build you require 3 traps and no real stun break, you can drop 1 trap for LR which isn’t to bad just survival is still low.

Also frost trap is a waste of space it really needs help.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in Ranger

Xaylin.1860

A very fitting idea for the theme of traps. Might cause a huge poop-storm from Mesmers and Thieves, though. The cooldowns of Traps are way too short for something like that.

Im sorry but i disagree with your statement that traps dish out a lot of condis already.

This is false. Traps by themselves give only 3 unique conditions, (most classes cleanse them by twos, and remember they can just get out of the trap)

That being said, those 3 conditions are by slotting 3 traps, Chill, Burns, Poison or Bleeds. We only gain an additional bleed for the Sharpened E. Trait.

First of all, the short cooldowns, their unblockable nature and them being area effects is quite significant here. If you’re fighting one foe I might agree with you that the conditions aren’t that impressive. You’re still able to set off condi bombs on a rather high frequency which makes curing them extremly difficult. Additionally, some people really seem to underestimate the effectiveness of the combo fields when utilizing projectile finishers.

Well. Maybe they’re not. There is a reason for Trappers running LB since the last buff.

So that running 3 traps, no stun break, no on demand cleanse. I would like to face that on my mesmer.

Not sure why you would not have a cleanse in this scenario if you really wanted to. However, the issue here most certainly isn’t your condition damage/availability. It is the stunbreaker. This is something I agree on. But why would you need even more conditions?

Also Yes, mesmers are kings of boon removal, I know this for a fact since I main mesmer. Okay so remove boon removal from traps, so you just basically admitted that rangers are of no use in high lvl tpvp. right?

Nope, I didn’t. I just said that Traps probably aren’t the way to go if you are looking for group support. Period. When talking about high level tPvP – how many builds are considered viable for this area of the game anyway? Not that many. How is this even a criteria when asking for changes?

I can sympathize with people who like to play and see a certain class buffed (or a certain build). But you can’t really expect every build to be viable on something like high level tPvP. Balancing is too difficult to achieve such a scenario.

So what good are traps anyway? Condis? My Torment Shatter mesmer can load better than that.

I’m listing additional effects to traps so we could also get into lineups. If we buff/tweak traps, then as a player outside looking in, I might just bring a ranger instead of a MtD mes.

And again: How is getting into line ups a criteria for balancing changes? I’m also quite confused that you keep mentioning MtD Mesmers which are far from meta. So where is the point of comparing those builds or ‘kicking’ out the Mesmer which doesn’t have a solid place in the meta anyway? I’d also like to question your assumption that MtD Mesmers surpass the performance of Trappers.

I’m all for changes for Trappers (traits / skills) but I feel that they need additional defense or survivability. Not additional damage nor boon stripping nor too excessive group support.

Imagine, traps, aoe, removes boons, i can combo more with my pet, aoe immob. entangle, oh guess what? Traps are also fields, combo more. + they will do another unique condi. above all i can choose to use SB and flank from range.

Besides most of this can already be done: How does this prove your argument? You basically just say it would be awesome. Yes, it would. I’d enjoy it since my Ranger is a Trapper, too. But is it reasonable? From my point of view it is not. The low cooldown on traps would make them the most powerful boon removal in the whole game.

You are adding a mechanic to a class which didn’t have it in the first place. At the same your suggestion implements this mechanic in a way which will make Rangers to the top choice for this mechanic. How is this not questionable? Even if it doesn’t turn out to cause balance issues it undermines the identity of two other classes. Stuff like this can break a game big time.

(edited by Xaylin.1860)

in Ranger

StickerHappy.8052

^Okay point taken.So what do you suggest? to make it viable in teamfights? I for one stun breakers on them would still be selfish in groups.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

they need a GM for use like the Eles Elemental Contingency but instead of boons it grants each trap a Secondary effect.

combine Trappers potency with Trappers Extertise 20% cooldown reduction and 100% condi duration under the banner of Trappers potency (as a master trait) >Removing ground Targeting< from the merge.

and the new gm trait is Trapper Expertise (renewed)
Grants Ground targetable traps and the additional effects below.

Fire=blind (8secs stock), (16secs if you take Trappers potency)
Vypers= remove 1 boon
frost= gain protection for allies while inside the traps radius (this would make frost trap a good Aoe Proction giver) no rreal changes just some Ally utility which a trapper build needs the additonal protection will increase its survival Out side of using Trapper runes.
spike trap = Added effect KD 1sec.
or when triggered the suggested 3secs of stability every 25secs or 22.5 while traited giving you a stability on a 15% upkeep. your upkeep will depend if you have trappers potency or not.

this will give flexible use of weapons since you have a option to KD and opens up the choices of pets that can be used outside of wolf/pig/spider/devour , you could Spike>pet swap > drake tail swipe , in a build that would only use Spike + frost trap.

its a slightly different one to my pervious post but i think it includes best of both choices without buffing too much but it also opens Doors to trap flexability (outside of the Typical presets)

in Ranger

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

Have some faith….it might get a cheap version of SoTF in the GM trait for traps this time around

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Ranger

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

I’ve only been experimenting with ranger and traps for a couple of weeks.

My two requests are both about the runes of the trapper:

- Make super speed actually special – either faster than regular swiftness or at least make the duration longer

- Make the stealth realistically possible to use – maybe the trap damage doesn’t unstealth you (mesmer phantasms work like this), make the stealth always apply with a delay after the trap has been deployed (so spike traps at least can work), etc

I want to keep playing this profession and using traps as my main style.

in Ranger

Aleksander Suburb.4287

I’ve only been experimenting with ranger and traps for a couple of weeks.

My two requests are both about the runes of the trapper:

- Make super speed actually special – either faster than regular swiftness or at least make the duration longer

- Make the stealth realistically possible to use – maybe the trap damage doesn’t unstealth you (mesmer phantasms work like this), make the stealth always apply with a delay after the trap has been deployed (so spike traps at least can work), etc

I want to keep playing this profession and using traps as my main style.

super speed is already faster than swiftness.
stealth has slready a delay. You get stealth after you throw the spike trap towards an enemy and it triggered.

It’s not a good idea, that you don’t leave stealth after damaging an enemy. So you can easily damage an enemy with much damage by the trap conditions while you’re stealth for 9 seconds. That is insane.

in Ranger

Posted by: Deep Sleep.4568

Deep Sleep.4568

I just wish you could do like in gw1 and lay multiples of the same trap even if its not in the same spot

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

I’ve had multiple thoughts about traps in order to put them in the most optimal spot I can think of.

First off, the amount of investment into Skirmishing to make Traps worthwhile is incredible high for such a low overall benefit gained from Skirmishing. The most you should have to put into Skirmishing is 4.
IF you are traiting out to a grandmaster level, then traps need more than what they currently have (right now you need a GM just to make them worth slotting). Personally, I think that they should give the player and pet their respective auras upon using (frost aura on frost trap, flame shield on fire, etc). Granted, it doesn’t have to be a full length game mechanic aura, but it would add the pseudo defensive capabilities that everybody is asking for traps to have (while making frost trap tolerable since frost aura is amazing).

I do also think that traps should be 900 range. Lots of “logic” arguments would say that you shouldn’t be able to throw traps to begin with, but that idea went out the window when the game was designed, and honestly the 900 range would give the build much better teamfight capabilities than what is currently the case (600 range is basically melee range in the PvP state of on point spam).

I’ve also suggested in the past that traps should remove boons, but reflecting on that idea, I think that if ANet is going to add ANY sort of boon counters to our class, that I wouldn’t want to be pigeonholed into traps for them (and they would more than likely be added to sigh pets anyways).

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

simple. casting a trap needs to give you something else. some sort of boon, or stunbreaker, etc. there are very few utilities in the game that do “just one thing”. the ranger is still very much behind in this respect.

in Ranger

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

@aleksander

The wiki states that super speed has a bug and caps the speed at swiftness out of combat.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Super_Speed_
>>> Bug: Does not exceed the blanket speed cap of 33% out of combat, 25% in combat.

My (albeit limited) testing so far seems to show that I am never faster than someone with swiftness. Do you have data from testing (maybe video?) that shows it actually is faster?

In terms of my suggestions around stealth, it’s really a question of design intent. The trapper runes give stealth on trap usage. So the question for the developers is whether their intent was for this to be viable in combat. If so, the existing mechanism doesn’t work very well, and I’m assuming they are meant to be usable in combat (which is why the delay mechanism was put in).

So both of my suggestions may simply be bug fixes. Seems tough to argue with at least the concepts I’m suggesting get fixed unless you have some other data.

in Ranger

Posted by: KaporHabakuk.6219

KaporHabakuk.6219

Trap traits are very solid and good.2 traits making em bigger,stronger,shorter CD,unblockable and ground targeting.Think there is none similar thing on any other class.Its enormous boost to utils with just 2 traits.

Am playing trap ranger in PvP/WvW and its funn,good build.Dont feel like it needs any buffing.

And before u start talking about top 100 pvp,than try to understand this game doesnt have 100 players,so to 99.9999999% of us that wont ever ever matter.

OTAN guild,WSR server