Trap update?

Trap update?

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I think we can all agree that Ranger traps need some love to see use outside of a single PvE build, where even there they are taken purely because they are the best worst choice.

With the Soulbeast being somewhat condi-centric, from what we have seen and with the balance patch coming, I really hope that Ranger traps see some improvements.

The toss up with running traps and a condi build is (since they changed the trait positions) that you have to choose between Sharpened Edges and Trapper’s Expertise. Now with the nerf to Sharpened Edges, if some trap improvements were made, Trapper’s Expertise would be a more viable choice.

It remains to be seen how our pet traits will affect us, but Companion’s Might could be a far more beneficial trait than Sharpened Edges going forward, allowing us to choose Trapper’s Expertise for a build that does not focus completely on traps.

All this said, what changes would you like to see to traps to make them more viable?

Trap update?

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I’m expecting a cooldown increase on Ranger traps and more boons and daze on Dragon Hunter traps.

Trap update?

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

TE making them throwable again would help. Every time I do AC for kicks, I am reminded of how cool it is when the Ascalonian Rangers there like to do that little setup of tossing a trap behind you, then knocking you back into it.

I’d also like to see Frost Trap completely replaced with a Smoke Trap. Would be cool if we had 1 non-damaging trap so we can use it with Trapper Runes. Maybe have the initial trigger do a small daze like ½s and the pulses blind foes. The extra smoke field would also be nice to blast stealth.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Trap update?

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

TE making them throwable again would help. Every time I do AC for kicks, I am reminded of how cool it is when the Ascalonian Rangers there like to do that little setup of tossing a trap behind you, then knocking you back into it.

I’d also like to see Frost Trap completely replaced with a Smoke Trap. Would be cool if we had 1 non-damaging trap so we can use it with Trapper Runes. Maybe have the initial trigger do a small daze like ½s and the pulses blind foes. The extra smoke field would also be nice to blast stealth.

I’d also like to see Smoke Trap, but not replace Frost Trap. I’d like to see Frost Trap get a ton better power scaling, so it is comparable to the DH traps, then it could be used in power builds, since it does not benefit from condition damage anyway. Maybe Smoke Trap could be Elite?

I had an idea a while back that the traps could be made into an elite kit… That sort of bar compression would make them nearly compulsory if you were running any condi damage stat at all.

Attachments:

Trap update?

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Man, I forgot about not having a trap elite. Haha! Yeah, I’ll take an elite Smoke Trap instead. At this point, a Trap kit would be cool, too.

Kind of wondering how that button config would go. I can only use Engineer kit layouts as an example, since usually the kit icon flips into dropping the kit. Or would that be an Elite that flips utilities over and we choose which traps to slot?

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Trap update?

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Trap update?

in Ranger

Posted by: Krispera.5087

Krispera.5087

TBH, making them throwable again would be just fine to make them viable. Not 600 range, at least 900. Nowadays, people fart AoE everywhere, so I don’t get their arguments that they didn’t want to make traps become ’’nades’’.

Also, buff to Frost Trap.

Trap update?

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Man, I forgot about not having a trap elite. Haha! Yeah, I’ll take an elite Smoke Trap instead. At this point, a Trap kit would be cool, too.

Kind of wondering how that button config would go. I can only use Engineer kit layouts as an example, since usually the kit icon flips into dropping the kit. Or would that be an Elite that flips utilities over and we choose which traps to slot?

Just make it functionally the same as Mortar Kit.

Wow, that thread is 2 years old.

Trap update?

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

If we got charges on our traps, oh boy, I’d be happy, bring back the death pits from GW1!! And give me my dust trap and/or smoke trap!!

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Trap update?

in Ranger

Justine.6351

And the debate never settled.

Now a days I would scrap muddy terrain and the current traps.
Then create a new survival skill spike trap with build up charges.

Then create a new utility skill set that wasn’t so 2 dimensional.

Trap update?

in Ranger

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

TBH, making them throwable again would be just fine to make them viable. Not 600 range, at least 900. Nowadays, people fart AoE everywhere, so I don’t get their arguments that they didn’t want to make traps become ’’nades’’.

Also, buff to Frost Trap.

I would agree for them to be throwable, but making it as a kit will be better. Our traps have 0 utility (I.e. stunbreak, condition clear, etc) so slotting 2 or more will be very detrimental to any build.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

Trap update?

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

I just want ranger traps to behave more like they used to in GW1, with the same impact. I’ve never felt traps in GW2 to be worth the effort, they’re simply far to weak when you consider that you need to give up everything to make them half-decent, and even then, they are still crap. I much prefer Glyphs since they are, imho, superior.

Also, trap skills, from any profession, should NEVER be balanced around Trapper Runes. I rather see Anet remove Trapper Runes completely, and balance traps from there.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Trap update?

in Ranger

Posted by: AlphaK.9486

AlphaK.9486

It would be nice if they could fix this minor bug that has persisted with ranger traps for months now.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Can-t-weapon-swap-immediately-after-a-trap/first#post6607036

Trap update?

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I reckon Muddy Terrain is so close to being good, survival skill on a short CD, but the effects are absolutely meh. I’d remove the ground targeting and make it cast at your feet, give it a stun break, then add some hard CC like a KD to it, short like 1s and then it would be more like Slick Shoes which is a 2s KD on a 40s CD.

Charges on the traps and the ability to lay more than one of the same type at once would make the traps far better, especially Spike Trap and Flame Trap.

Trap update?

in Ranger

Justine.6351

I reckon Muddy Terrain is so close to being good, survival skill on a short CD, but the effects are absolutely meh. I’d remove the ground targeting and make it cast at your feet, give it a stun break, then add some hard CC like a KD to it, short like 1s and then it would be more like Slick Shoes which is a 2s KD on a 40s CD.

Charges on the traps and the ability to lay more than one of the same type at once would make the traps far better, especially Spike Trap and Flame Trap.

The best suggestion I’ve seen for muddy terrain was actually to just make it warrior’s stomp. How sad is that lol.

Trap update?

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

…The best suggestion I’ve seen for muddy terrain was actually to just make it warrior’s stomp. How sad is that lol.

Well, they would be significantly different, the only similarities would be they would both be an area CC and break stun.

Trap update?

in Ranger

Posted by: Draeyon.4392

Draeyon.4392

If I had the choice between throw-able traps and a trap trigger, I think I would take the trigger.
Place the trap and it does not activate until you actually trigger it.