Turret Engie - Ranger Style

in Ranger

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

First off I would like to to mention that this does not and in no way replace the current home or far point Turret Engie cheese that we often see. It does however offer an alternative way to bunk a point. It can also offer additional team support along with massive healing for your team in my second example of the “Turret Engie – Ranger Style”. Below are two builds. The first build can be used for home point bunking, home and mid point roaming and dueling. The second build is only for home and far point bunking. See below for explanations.

Definitions

Trolling
- Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it’s the internet and, hey, you can.

Cheese
- Cheese is often regarded as “cheap” or “dirty” play, as the player cheesing does not try to counter their opponent or adjust their strategy. Having a lack of player skill can be made up by playing a “cheese” build.

Turret Engie - Cheese Edition
- A well known build that is considered trolling by most and cheese by all. One simply places Turrets on a node and camps while waiting for an unsuspecting enemy to come along. Then the Engie proceeds to run in circles, allowing the turrets and AI to do all the work. Unleashing knockbacks, knockdowns, immobilizes and more knockbacks. Simply put, a cheese build that carries the Engie.

Can a Ranger become like the Turret Engie?

Turret Engie – Ranger Style Home and mid point defender – Mobile Version
- This particular build is the mobile version and offers numerous knockdowns, knockbacks, immobilizes, cripples, blinds, bleeds, projectile blocking, evades spams, stealth and lots of damage.
Build

• 2 Knockdowns
  • 1 Knockback every 12 seconds
  • Immobilize
  • 6 ways to Cripple your opponent – 40 seconds total of Cripple application.
  • Sun Spirit
    • Passive Burning is applied to you and your add 5 adds for constant Burning application of your opponent
    • Active Blinds for stomps
  • Stone Spirit
    • Passive Protection for you and your adds/team
    • Active Quicksand which Immobilizes and Cripples up to 3 enemies
  • Constant Bleeds from every Critical hit you do
  • 5 adds to mimic an Engie’s Turrets
    • Hyena
    • Hyena Ally
    • Parrot
    • Sun Spirit
    • Stone Spirit

Turret Engie – Ranger Style Home and Far point defender only
- This build is designed to act just like a turret Engie. Your Spirits do not move. They are stationary like an Engie’s Turrets. Place them strategically on a point so that you use them to block projectiles. Draw your enemy’s into them before activating them.
Variation One – Build - More Condi removal, weaker Hyena’s
Variation Two – Build - Less Condi removal, stronger Hyena’s

• Offers same CC and damage as the mobile version
  • Spirits can be used to block projectiles
  • Stationary Spirits like Engie’s turrets allow for Evasive Purity to be taken
  • Healing Spring for massive healing for your adds and/or group

That’s it. I hope you guys try this build out for trolling and funsies. I’m almost certain you’ll here other players call you “cheese” every now and then.

If anyone can think of a better way to imitate a Turret Engie, please make suggestions.

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

(edited by ItIsFinished.9462)

in Ranger

ItIsFinished.9462

I know someone’s going to say that Spirit Rangers have been around since beta. I understand that. But how many Spirit Rangers have you seen running with a Longbow, traited Shouts, traited SotF, Soldiers ammy, Knights ammy or Clerics ammy? You don’t. that’s what makes these builds different.

Carry on.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

Very interesting and very promising build.

I’d like to sincerely thank you for your consideration and will to share with the community. I’d definitely like to at least try this build since it can bring another light to the Ranger role variety.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

+1!!

Having witnessed firsthand the success of this build both in solo and team scenarios, I can wholeheartedly support this build

Not to mention that all of the adds body block a lot of aoe for team fights, as well as act as a shield for the player from projectiles. :]

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Posted by: Pelopidas.2140

Pelopidas.2140

For the first build you posted, i noticed you use 2 traits for a single utility skill, which is your only condi removal every 32 secs…hard to stay on point against a terrormancer.

The 2 variations are pretty cool, ill be trying them

in Ranger

Posted by: Siroso.2769

Siroso.2769

Looks like fun! I’ve always kind of liked the hyenas, even if just for the extra knockdown. I love that you’ve kept the spirits untraited, as among other things this lets you combo your point blank shot into a quicksand immobilise off-point, a la turret engi!

<— Broskies /Lulzranger

in Ranger

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Arrow is ignoring me.

@Topic

Videos please!

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

(edited by StickerHappy.8052)

in Ranger

ItIsFinished.9462

For the first build you posted, i noticed you use 2 traits for a single utility skill, which is your only condi removal every 32 secs…hard to stay on point against a terrormancer.

The 2 variations are pretty cool, ill be trying them

Don’t forget Entangle, so one utility and one elite. It’s still very little condi removal unfortunately. But that’s also a Turret Engie’s weakness too.

Arrow is ignoring me.

@Topic

Videos please!

I promise I’m not ignoring you on purpose. I read your PM right before heading home from work, and frankly, forgot to respond. Ill get back to you via PM.

@Everyone else, thanks for checking it out. I promise it’s a lot of fun to mess around with. I certainly hope you guys can/will come up with variations and improvements.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lethal Njection.8741

Lethal Njection.8741

You think this might call for a water spirit?!?!? To be honest I have never bothered using it and I am not sure if this would make it viable or not.

just a thought…..

I save Ascalon against another Charr invasion, and my father trifles with doors!

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

You think this might call for a water spirit?!?!? To be honest I have never bothered using it and I am not sure if this would make it viable or not.

just a thought…..

The thing is that Healing Spring is not only an AoE regeneration buff – it’s also a point holding AoE cleanse. And that’s far superior to Water Spirit and it’s unique healing support for the party.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

@Everyone else, thanks for checking it out. I promise it’s a lot of fun to mess around with. I certainly hope you guys can/will come up with variations and improvements.

One possible slight variation I did come up with.
It’s when you intend to play a Bunker for the Mid Point (where it’s usually a teamfight). The thing is – that as a Ranger you are constantly focused.
I highly recommend sacrificing the Rune of the Pirate (Birds die to AoE instantly in teamfights) and going for Rune of the Forge.

This way you’ll get a fair trade of the bonus pet (that dies on sight) for a very precious bonus Protection … Which usually ends up for perma Protection for me (Spirit procs 4,25sec. once every 10 sec. / dodge roll gives 3 sec. / rune grants roughly 15 if you get below 50%)

Also, for this purpose I recommend using Primal Reflexes (Skirmishing) instead of Commanding voice (Beast Mastery) for even more Evades resulting in more Protection uptime.
Sometimes we’ll just have to deal with the fact that our pets are one of the first to die in battle. There’s no way to protect them from AoE or Conditions.

in Ranger

Posted by: Druar.1730

Druar.1730

A variant i have been using for a while for home/mid fights:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQJARTjMq0sanK+qQ0agDhqdJ0ujArAwdP0C7wJr4QsA-TpBHwAFOEAGuAAAeAABOCAILDse/BA

It adds storm spirit, and uses Snow owl with Pet’s Prowess and a Greatsword with Intelligence sigil to be able to do some more burst damage, it works quite well and adds a bit of skilled play to a rather passive play setup (getting the opening and timing the burst, while not hard atleast takes some skill^^)

The Greatsword itself is a nice trade for the sw/d combo in my opinion, since it does give you a block with another knockback, and a stun.

100 vs. 2 – And we killed BOTH!!!

in Ranger

ItIsFinished.9462

One possible slight variation I did come up with.
It’s when you intend to play a Bunker for the Mid Point (where it’s usually a teamfight). The thing is – that as a Ranger you are constantly focused.
I highly recommend sacrificing the Rune of the Pirate (Birds die to AoE instantly in teamfights) and going for Rune of the Forge.

This way you’ll get a fair trade of the bonus pet (that dies on sight) for a very precious bonus Protection … Which usually ends up for perma Protection for me (Spirit procs 4,25sec. once every 10 sec. / dodge roll gives 3 sec. / rune grants roughly 15 if you get below 50%)

Also, for this purpose I recommend using Primal Reflexes (Skirmishing) instead of Commanding voice (Beast Mastery) for even more Evades resulting in more Protection uptime.
Sometimes we’ll just have to deal with the fact that our pets are one of the first to die in battle. There’s no way to protect them from AoE or Conditions.

Forge Runes, a nice touch for perma protection. i will give this a shot. As for the Spirits dieing fast, I agree. It’s a shame at how fast they die to AOE. There’s a thread in the PVP section comparing Engie’s Turrets vs Rangers Spirits. everyone agrees that Rangers Spirits die way too fast while Turrets are nearly indestructible to condition based builds.

in Ranger

ItIsFinished.9462

A variant i have been using for a while for home/mid fights:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQJARTjMq0sanK+qQ0agDhqdJ0ujArAwdP0C7wJr4QsA-TpBHwAFOEAGuAAAeAABOCAILDse/BA

It adds storm spirit, and uses Snow owl with Pet’s Prowess and a Greatsword with Intelligence sigil to be able to do some more burst damage, it works quite well and adds a bit of skilled play to a rather passive play setup (getting the opening and timing the burst, while not hard atleast takes some skill^^)

The Greatsword itself is a nice trade for the sw/d combo in my opinion, since it does give you a block with another knockback, and a stun.

One thing I haven’t mastered yet is the Greatsword. That’s gotta throw people off seeing a Spirit Ranger using Greatsword.

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

+1 love these builds.

The longbow one is sweet. I’ve been inspired and ended up with this variant. It lacks the cc potential of the longbow build, but has fully stacked might on pets and self for most encounters. Seems much stronger than turret, and d/d elem in 1v1s, and I’m not even that good with dagger yet. You can swap either pet for fire or lightning drake when facing turrets. I am not sure which is better.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons