Unblockable Glass Cannon "Support" for WvW

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJAWTnUqA1silsAGsActgl9AbpJEASAMDsAWvD+tWX3rX00+TA-T1BEwAbVCC4CAwS9nO6CMcIAYu/o8jwTAgUA6J0C-w

just playing around with Vicious Quarry and SoH. some people have already started running these glassy builds. basically the idea here is for you to stay in the back, buffing your backliners with +20% damage for a short duration, while dishing out unblockable, piercing LB autoattacks.

you’re not really supposed to take any damage, hence full zerker. this is ultimately just a support spec, i.e. super reliant on your group.

I wanted to keep Druid for the staff to allow for easy repositioning.

you honestly dont even need QZ, but there it is.

Red moa for the long fury.

Lesser Stone Signet in case you make a mistake, Druidic Clarity if clipped by condis.

single out and kill all opposing backliners, but it also kittens guards pretty hard. people will have to start slotting and using a lot more reflects.

maybe the Deadeye will end up doing this better, but for now this is what we can do with the recent buffs. the damage buffs we give to those around us sort of makes this build unique.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

You can already do this with hammer rev, and that has cleave.

in Ranger

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

The unblockable is strong. With Clarion + Stowed pet and SotH you have 9s straight on engage with an instant cast if preserved so you can shoot right through a mid-rf-block from guard/war/chrono/engi/earth ele which is absolutely bonkers.

Power longbow running core ranger I’ve just been killing people nonstop. There’s a massive amount of damage that’s nigh impossible to stop.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Mhmm. Ive even adopted my shout build for WvW to make use of htis. Giving up sic em (Normally a staple for me) for the unblockable and spiking up long duration quickness with swaps and a rage sigil. Self boost to 25 stacks of might 6-10 of quickness and perma fury then rapid fire through a frontline for heavy damage.

Its…interesting. VERY prone to getting ganked. But definitely worth the risk if you have hte positioning to pull it off.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

There’s a massive amount of damage that’s nigh impossible to stop.

it just eats single targets for breakfast, and punches through the entire zerg. I’ve never played a LB ranger like this one. it just feels entirely different to have almost every arrow connect.

yes, it’s glass and positioning is key. you need people protecting you, which is why I see it only as a support build. you can’t really duel with it. might as well just run shoutbow for that. but you can buff your backliners with a ton of free damage while picking things off from a distance.

I don’t feel the hammer rev is anything like this. CoR’s damage is often unreliable, you have no single target pressure, weak to non-existent sustained damage, the “unblockable” trait is unreliable whereas ours is on-demand, and you give nothing to your squad other than personal damage. so i would say: might as well run a power wellmancer instead.

who knows, i might just play Deadeye for this role, but until then there is this.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in Ranger

DeceiverX.8361

I haven’t had many issues dueling with it. Only warriors have really given me issues, but I also picked up my ranger for the first time in close to three years since quitting my thief and reaper from this last patch, so I don’t exactly have a ton of experience with the kit.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

I haven’t had many issues dueling with it. Only warriors have really given me issues, but I also picked up my ranger for the first time in close to three years since quitting my thief and reaper from this last patch, so I don’t exactly have a ton of experience with the kit.

Well The old sniper builds greatest enemy was typically the sword mainhand thief. And now that said weapon works so well with condi thief it can be a bit of a harsh matchup (you get nailed you die) kind of thing. But that just means its an engagement that you want to be the aggressor on. Hit him before he realises your there kind of thing. Or from a location where if he goes up to fight you your pet can whack him. That all goes into that positioning thing though.

Just need to be careful of other pick style builds mostly. But for WvW. Sniper ranger is definitely possible and will SHRED its targets.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

sword daredevil just got buffed. it absolutely WRECKS LB builds. and you cant run from them. so imo, this isnt the best for skirmishing.

in Ranger

DeceiverX.8361

sword daredevil just got buffed. it absolutely WRECKS LB builds. and you cant run from them. so imo, this isnt the best for skirmishing.

S/x is easier to run from than D/P. Sword can only chase to 1200 and then it needs to disengage for 1200. LR + GS/Staff and you’re out of there and curing the conditions whereas D/P can just keep re-engaging with Shadow Shot and avoid the longbow damage via stealth.

It’s probably more to do with the removal of Bark Skin that makes the matchup feel worse than it was + unfamiliarity with the kit. Having played aggressive S/D thief for the past four years or so, I find this matchup on the lesser-troubling sides.

You need to time PBS to land it and utilize your own stealth, since IS needs a target. Ancient Seeds is bad because they’ll UC from the immob and most people don’t realize to save the RF because they will dodge as soon as they’re immob’ed just to cleanse it out, so PBS+RF gets negated entirely by not waiting. Wait for them to start trying to close the gap and they just melt.

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I don’t feel the hammer rev is anything like this. CoR’s damage is often unreliable, you have no single target pressure, weak to non-existent sustained damage, the “unblockable” trait is unreliable whereas ours is on-demand, and you give nothing to your squad other than personal damage. so i would say: might as well run a power wellmancer instead.

lolwhat?

Cause revenants dont put aoe boons/condi clear/blasts out…

in Ranger

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

No one recommended it for skirmishing.

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2