Update on the 14th

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Posted by: Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

It looks like ranger will be getting some improvements I’m pretty excited, what about you guys?

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Posted by: nldixon.8514

nldixon.8514

I was excited about the last patch.

This time I’m skeptical.

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Posted by: Loki.4871

Loki.4871

The last time people convinced themselves that things were going to be done that were not even hinted at. If they exercise some common sense this time, it would be nice.

I’m hoping for the traits to make a bit more sense, shouts being more useful, and those utility skills to be more user-friendly.

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Oh, I remember last update. Don’t get me wrong. But I’m actually a bit more hopeful this time.

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Also, Loki, what exactly are you referring to?

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

As far as I can tell, Jon made a few pretty explicit posts about ranger improvements recently, and set the 14th as the date of release. I realize that stuff happens, and it could be delayed again or whatever, but I doubt it.

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

I’d much prefer people take what is known with a grain of salt and let it come. Last time everyone got their hopes up singing Kumbaya which ultimately made people even frustrated when the door slammed shut.

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Last update, all Jon said was “we are looking to make substantial changes” to the Ranger. He didn’t promise anything specific.

This time, he made some preeeeetty specific promises.

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Posted by: Loki.4871

Loki.4871

Also, Loki, what exactly are you referring to?

Before the last patch, “Quality of life” updates were mentioned. Somehow this was interpreted as “We’re going to buff the socks off the longbow and let it match/beat a warrior with the longbow.”

So when general, erm, quality of life things like combo fields for the harpoon gun came around instead… I nearly put my palm through the back of my skull I face-palmed that hard.

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Posted by: Ravaha.3702

Ravaha.3702

None of these changes are going to do anything for the ranger. We will still be useless against anyone melleing us and we will still miss more than 50% of the time at long range, except now the enemy will have to do a little more than sneeze to avoid the arrow, it will take an entire side step.
1. Our pet will still be useless
2. Our dmg will still be subpar
3. we still cannot do anything to attack siege besides longbow 5
4. Longbow’s dmg is still going to be the worst dmg in the game
5. We still dont have any utility or any good traits.
6. If we want signets to be good, we still have to put 2-3 trait points into power so that signets don’t only affect our pets…….

I am re-rolling to another class. I am tired of being the squishiest and lowest dmg class in the game with a pet that doesnt do anything and so many utility skills that i cannot use because they are absolutely worthless.

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Posted by: Calavero.3420

Calavero.3420

Actually, it was signet improvements, shout improvements, viable build diversity, QoL improvements and weapon buffs that he specifically mentioned. Of course, hundreds and hundreds of posts worth of pure hyperbole and impossibly high expectations later (the thread essentially turned into a “this is my fantasy of how we should redesign the Ranger class”), people were extremely disappointed with the fixes – which were, to be perfectly honest, FAR less impressive and extensive than we were lead to believe they would be.

It was a bad failure on both sides, in my opinion.

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Posted by: nldixon.8514

nldixon.8514

None of these changes are going to do anything for the ranger. We will still be useless against anyone melleing us and we will still miss more than 50% of the time at long range, except now the enemy will have to do a little more than sneeze to avoid the arrow, it will take an entire side step.
6. If we want signets to be good, we still have to put 2-3 trait points into power so that signets don’t only affect our pets…….

I am re-rolling to another class. I am tired of being the squishiest and lowest dmg class in the game with a pet that doesnt do anything and so many utility skills that i cannot use because they are absolutely worthless.

Hyperbole? I’m not going to bother to refute each of your points separately, but I will say that all of them are wrong on some level and a couple are completely wrong.

Assuming that any of what Jon Peters has said regarding the 12/14 patch is true, it should be a good patch for Rangers if they do nothing else but make the changes to Hunt and longbow arrows.

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Posted by: NaturalPortman.9562

NaturalPortman.9562

1. Pets are great
2. Our damage is good
4. Long bow isn’t a high damage weapon and it should never be
5. We have messy trait lines but no we have great traits actually.

(im a girl btw)

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Cloud.7613

1. Pets are great
2. Our damage is good

1. Pets in WvW/PvP are awful, don’t bother.
2. Ranger damage is absolutely horrid, I have an elementalist and you can do 3-5k criticals via aoes per second, which also burn for 358 per second. Sorry, but Rangers cannot even do 25% the damage another class can.
5. Great traits? maybe, but the synergy with other traits is absent which is massive issue.

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

1. Pets are great
2. Our damage is good

2. Ranger damage is absolutely horrid, I have an elementalist and you can do 3-5k criticals via aoes per second, which also burn for 358 per second. Sorry, but Rangers cannot even do 25% the damage another class can.
5. Great traits? maybe, but the synergy with other traits is absent which is massive issue.

1. Ill give you the aoe one, they do have trouble surviving heavy aoe pressure.
2. No ranger damage is not bad, I can drop someone in under 5 seconds. Ranger does more damage than ele on a single target, but yes in team fights ele does shine.

(im a girl btw)

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Cloud.7613

1. Pets are great
2. Our damage is good

2. No ranger damage is not bad, I can drop someone in under 5 seconds. Ranger does more damage than ele on a single target, but yes in team fights ele does shine.

Ele would win hands down if the player is decent. The trait synergy is just there. If a ranger is 90% single target it should do a lot better. I love my ranger but it’s the sad truth. The one class who cannot actually do glass cannon.

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Ursan.7846

But can you do 3-5k criticals via aoes per second…for 60 seconds? From a safe distance (1200 range)? I don’t play ele so I don’t really know, but a friend of mine who does play Ele constantly complains about his lack of single-target dmg and general squishiness.

But anyways, damage is so, so situational. There’s aoe damage vs single-target damage. Melee damage vs ranged damage. Burst vs sustained damage. Saying “Rangers cannot even do 25% the damage another class can” is a very simple and misleading statement.

Unless you’re a politician, of course =P

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

1. Pets are great
2. Our damage is good

Ele would win hands down if the player is decent. The trait synergy is just there. If a ranger is 90% single target it should do a lot better. I love my ranger but it’s the sad truth. The one class who cannot actually do glass cannon.

That’s the thing, ranger doesn’t need to go glass cannon to have heavy and I mean HEAVY damage pressure. A decent ele vs a decent ranger = never ending fight.

(im a girl btw)

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

But can you do 3-5k criticals via aoes per second…for 60 seconds? From a safe distance (1200 range)? I don’t play ele so I don’t really know, but a friend of mine who does play Ele constantly complains about his lack of single-target dmg and general squishiness.

But anyways, damage is so, so situational. There’s aoe damage vs single-target damage. Melee damage vs ranged damage. Burst vs sustained damage. Saying “Rangers cannot even do 25% the damage another class can” is a very simple and misleading statement.

VS single target
I honestly think ranger takes the cake against most classes.

(im a girl btw)

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Cloud.7613

So I assume they’ve never tried D/D bunker elementalist, or D/D in general, so I’ll avoid that. I also assume they’re probably staff elementalist and that comes down to if they’re good with accurate placement attacks which my guess is they’re not. 25% maybe low, but 50% is an easy statement to say if you’ve played an elementalist. I’ll say ranger is one of the direct counters to elementalist due to the poke damage, but it comes down to

1. Synergy with traits
2. Low dps+projectile speed
3. Pets easily avoidable by strafing.

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Ursan.7846

So I assume they’ve never tried D/D bunker elementalist, or D/D in general, so I’ll avoid that. I also assume they’re probably staff elementalist and that comes down to if they’re good with accurate placement attacks which my guess is they’re not. 25% maybe low, but 50% is an easy statement to say if you’ve played an elementalist. I’ll say ranger is one of the direct counters to elementalist due to the poke damage, but it comes down to

1. Synergy with traits

Well again, this goes back to my point that you can’t just compare pure damage. Yea, Perhaps Rangers do lower damage than a D/D elementalist. But I will assure you the fact that I am doing my damage at 1200 range means that I am a lot safer when I dish out my damage. I’m assuming from your posts that you talk mostly about sPvP, but in PvE, dungeons, and WvW, the ability to do good, sustained, ranged, single-target DPS is pretty handy, and I will gladly take doing less damage in order to be more safe.

So yes. Saying things like “Rangers do 25% less damage than other classes” is simplifying things, especially when you use it to make an argument that “_ is better than Ranger.”

But I do agree with you. Traits are underwhelming. Pets attacking moving targets is underwhelming.

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

1. Synergy with traits

Well again, this goes back to my point that you can’t just compare pure damage. Yea, Perhaps Rangers do lower damage than a D/D elementalist. But I will assure you the fact that I am doing my damage at 1200 range means that I am a lot safer when I dish out my damage. I’m assuming from your posts that you talk mostly about sPvP, but in PvE, dungeons, and WvW, the ability to do good, sustained, ranged, single-target DPS is pretty handy, and I will gladly take doing less damage in order to be more safe.

So yes. Saying things like “Rangers do 25% less damage than other classes” is simplifying things, especially when you use it to make an argument that “_ is better than Ranger.”

But I do agree with you. Traits are underwhelming. Pets attacking moving targets is underwhelming.

Pets do fine if you cripple people ^^.

(im a girl btw)

Update on the 14th

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

pet movement buffs are unlikely, so i dont think we should set our expectations too high. maybe spirits will get reworked into something usable. without good pet mechanics, ranger is just a kittened thief.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ