[VID] Hornet Sting (Sword #2) Tutorial

in Ranger

Posted by: Holl.3109

Holl.3109

Hey guys,
got asked quite a few times how I manage to very quickly move around with hornet sting/monarch’s leap. Therefore, I thought I’d make a quick tutorial on how to do it.

NOTE: I’m guessing that most of you pro rangers on here already know how to do it, but for those who don’t…. here is the video link

Hope you can learn something from it
-Hollts

All 80’s – PvP/WvW
My YouTube channel
Reapers gonna reap ¯\(°_°)/¯

in Ranger

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

I’ll add that about face does not work if you’re holding down right mouse/ controlling the camera so be careful to avoid doing that.

Also I’m sure many of you have noticed that generally about face turns both the character and the camera but sometimes it turns the character without moving the camera which is awesome for obvious reasons. I have yet to figure out a way to make this happen
100% of the time, so if anyone knows a way let us know!

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Ranger

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Also worth mentioning that if you have swiftness or Super Speed (from trapper runes) you can travel significantly further. Using sword/dagger with trapper runes you can begin with Hornet Sting → Stalker’s Strike → Monarch’s Leap and get a massive triple jump going that can cover a ton of ground. Takes a bit of practice to chain it all together before the Super Speed runs out but it can make you very hard to catch.

Ranger sword is my favorite weapon in the game I honestly hope ANet never “fixes” it.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Hey guys,
got asked quite a few times how I manage to very quickly move around with hornet sting/monarch’s leap. Therefore, I thought I’d make a quick tutorial on how to do it.

NOTE: I’m guessing that most of you pro rangers on here already know how to do it, but for those who don’t…. here is the video link

Hope you can learn something from it
-Hollts

Very nice video, just thought I’d throw in something as well.

Let go of “move forward” while you “about face” on the first part.
You don’t “about face” for the second leap, that slows you down.

If you’re “about face”-ing twice for Monarch Leap, you’ll be slower than just running in a straight line.

Demonstration: https://youtu.be/vGNF-hfxP8U

Edit: Swapping weapons before the 2nd leap ends helps you travel a weeeee bit further. More noticeable leaping off higher grounds.

(edited by kiwituatara.6053)

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

The other benefit to swapping right before the Monarch’s Leap ends, you do not do damage at the end, putting you in combat if you hit a mob by accident, also if you have GS on swap you can use the swoop immediately after swapping and it chains perfectly.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Speaking weapon swapping, you can weapon swap shortly after pressing the first leap button to cancel it. Swap back to sword and you can use it as a single forward leap, similar to the sword 2 skill on the warrior. Useful for jumping puzzle type stuff.

in Ranger

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

you know a weapon is bad when you have to make a video on how to use it.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

This technique is applicable to almost every profession, genius. Is mesmer staff a bad design because you can use staff 2 to move forward?

in Ranger

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

This technique is applicable to almost every profession, genius. Is mesmer staff a bad design because you can use staff 2 to move forward?

I’m not a genius, but thanks! So you are saying that this is not the only weapon that you need to play silly camera and targeting tricks with to move around and function better?

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in Ranger

Posted by: Holl.3109

Holl.3109

@Vespers and SpellOf: Thanks guys, forgot to mention those hints/tricks :/
@Ashfiend: I actually haven’t thought of that, thanks!
@Swagger: JUST TO NAME A FEW… phase retreat, withdraw, lighting reflexes, updraft, etc….

Thanks guys, I will post this thread in the comment section of the vid

All 80’s – PvP/WvW
My YouTube channel
Reapers gonna reap ¯\(°_°)/¯

in Ranger

Posted by: Pvt Frosty.6973

Pvt Frosty.6973

@Vespers:
Whether or not about face changes your camera aswell depends on which button you used last to pan your camera around. You know how right click moves your camera+character? if you used that last, about face will move camera too. if you used left click, which only moves camera and not your character, your about face will not change the camera.
at least that was how I remember it

Just Filthy Kasuals – Bowscoooped!
YouTube / Twitch

in Ranger

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

@Vespers:
Whether or not about face changes your camera aswell depends on which button you used last to pan your camera around. You know how right click moves your camera+character? if you used that last, about face will move camera too. if you used left click, which only moves camera and not your character, your about face will not change the camera.
at least that was how I remember it

Awesome I’ll have to use this!

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Ranger

Posted by: mambastik.8735

mambastik.8735

Also need to mention that Lighting Reflexes will roll you back relative to your character’s direction, regardless of your target position. Has killed me many, many times.