[Vid] ITS A TRAP! - WvW Montage

in Ranger

Posted by: Holl.3109

Holl.3109

Hello ranger o/
Posted a trap ranger video here a loonnnggg while ago and it was generally well received, so I decided to do a follow-up after the 23rd patch! The trait changes, together with healing spring being a trap now, have really benefited trap rangers! They have some more condi clear, but still lack stunbreaks. Overall trapper ranger is still very viable and very dangerous IMO…

That will be demonstrated in this video Ft. Admiral Ackbar!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmyyOqGggQ4

Using this build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQRAnY8fjMqQ3KWuCurAVLGYEKP0HhTvH3aND4C4yDgTWxXeB-TVyCABQoEEgTAQ47P8i+BfU/ZinAQBmgk4gAklyvAAIAMzZOzZOzkCAm5AA-w

Feel free to give feedback/advice, I only have 40 hours or so my ranger, but all of them were playing this build

Hope you enjoy(ed)!
-Hollts

All 80’s – PvP/WvW
My YouTube channel
Reapers gonna reap ¯\(°_°)/¯

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

Can say what you want about traps, I still think they are the funnest way to play the Ranger

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: borya.2964

borya.2964

Trapper ranger is a low tier troll build. You run half the time with another trapper ranger, so yeah, you can successfully reach your goal, even with 40 hours of play.

Coffin Rehearsal X – Bunker Roaming Ranger
Tchuu Tchuu Im A Train [TCHU] – Gandara
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChUmRHtHLgPckvtrPImxK3A

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Trapper ranger is a low tier troll build. You run half the time with another trapper ranger, so yeah, you can successfully reach your goal, even with 40 hours of play.

Low tier troll build? I guess ignorance is bliss.

Edit: To OP – I run a similar build but prefer axe/torch with long bow. Build is perfect for small scale skirmish, works with zergs, and excels at scouting.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

(edited by Crapgame.6519)

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Aww geeze, get over yourself. Why post merely to belittle someone and their chosen style? Regardless of your opinion on the matter, the build works, he’s successful with it and appears to be enjoying playing it. Not only that, but he actually has friends to play it with.

+1 nice video, mate.

in Ranger

Crapgame.6519

Aww geeze, get over yourself. Why post merely to belittle someone and their chosen style? Regardless of your opinion on the matter, the build works, he’s successful with it and appears to be enjoying playing it. Not only that, but he actually has friends to play it with.

+1 nice video, mate.

Well said Heimskarl.

Here I was originally going to say something along the lines of Oddball, “Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?” But you pretty much summed it up.

in Ranger

borya.2964

Low tier because of the pets who can’t stealh and the damaging component of traps.
Troll build because you rely on stats to survive, it’s a condi build, you unreasonably choose a full traps bar for stealth over stunbreaks and active cleans, it’s easy and successful against disorganized PUG, preferably played with another troll build etc.

None of the best ranger youtubers play trapper, absolutly none.

[..]

The OP is a good player and i perfeclty know what is capable of with his main necro, that’s why i am frank. Nothing rude in my words except for sensitive people. You didn’t play the game for ages so you should wait to rediscover WvW roaming. There is no other sub game mod in the entire game that promote so much salty laziness. You can even find proud streamers who play ghost thief those days. Anyways, nevermind.

(edited by borya.2964)

in Ranger

Crapgame.6519

Low tier because of the pets who can’t stealh and the damaging component of traps.
Troll build because you rely on stats to survive, it’s a condi build, you unreasonably choose a full traps bar for stealth over stunbreaks and active cleans, it’s easy and successful against disorganized PUG, preferably played with another troll build etc.

Pets lack of stealth is a bug. No more than any other stealth class who has a mini out.
It is about choices, not everyone needs a stun break.
It isn’t all about organized play – Organized can be solo, scout, small group/havoc.
Youtube has nothing to do with skill – it is a social media tool.
Not everyone runs Meta nor does playing a meta build != skill.
Tier != skill. It is a population and wall clock coverage thing, everyone knows it.

It isn’t about people being sensitive, it is about the attitude that anything non meta or tier 1 being a troll build or not valid. People try different things. People choose to use the traits, runes, sigils, armor, and other stats differently. People play to have fun, not conform to a box as you are alluding to. There is nothing wrong with playing a trapper ranger no more than someone running glass/zerk.

Heck, the OP was running a double melee build with traps in WvW. Not even the freaking LB yet you want to say he was running a troll build. Go figure.

in Ranger

Posted by: UmbraNoctis.1907

UmbraNoctis.1907

I don’t think it is a bug, that pets don’t gain stealth. They count (more or less) as an independent character. Just like other AI. And don’t compare them to minis, those are only visual things like skins, and don’t (or at least shouldn’t) affect combat at all.

And of course there is nothing wrong with running trapper or whatever else build, as long it is fun to play. But it has its limits and isn’t too hard to counter by competent players. Just great against noobs, who run without condiclear and just sit in those traps all day long like shown in the video.

in Ranger

Crapgame.6519

I don’t think it is a bug, that pets don’t gain stealth. They count (more or less) as an independent character. Just like other AI. And don’t compare them to minis, those are only visual things like skins, and don’t (or at least shouldn’t) affect combat at all.

No, they don’t affect combat. However, when the stealth class gains stealth they are invisible but the mini isn’t. So follow the bread crumb and you find said stealth player and fight resumes. To me, it is a bug just has the pet should gain stealth in a similar effect of gaining stealth.

Most skills and abilities can be countered by competent players so not sure why that would be specific to traps. For example, we all know how to counter a glass/zerk longbow ranger who is targeting us with rapid fire, right? Yes, dodge yet how many posts did we see in this forum by players asking for it to be nerfed…

But I could be wrong and it is just my opinion.

Edit: Getting totally off topic of the OP’s post for which I apologize. I did watch the video and thanks for sharing. I run double melee in sPvP but not in WvW so hats off to you.

in Ranger

UmbraNoctis.1907

No buffs/effects are automatically shared between AI and the related player. And i’m pretty sure, this is intended. There is no reason to assume otherwise. And again, minis and AI like pets are not the same. So visible minis might be a bug, because they should not affect combat, but this does not apply to pets, clones, spirits, necros minions, turrets, …

in Ranger

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

But it has its limits and isn’t too hard to counter by competent players. Just great against noobs, who run without condiclear and just sit in those traps all day long like shown in the video.

Only class I have had trouble with, at least in a pvp setting is some necros and a very small percentage of guards. In WvW I ran into a lb Warrior who had perfect timing to remove my condis. And while I couldn’t kill him, he could not kill me either.

The thing is, you can’t clear the conditions quick enough for them not to take a chunk of your health.

There are weaknesses to the build, ( /laugh Competent Players )
But clearing my conditions is not one I am overly concerned with.

When you walk over one, you are walking over three which means you are getting knocked down= burning, bleeding and poisoned while CC’d. You are definitely taking a fair amount of damage even if your ping is amazing and so are your reaction times.

Besides, that’s just my traps.
How many condi clears do you have?

Do you think the fight is over cause you cleared 1 round of condis?
EEore Voice “I might as well give up now, he just cleared my conditions…game is over… life is hard. I won’t use any of my weapon skills, pet skills. Why does that cloud always follow me.”

Real concern from me =classes that can go temporarily immune to my condis while doing some amazing burst dmg=warriors. Thieves who can skate past them and still get on top of me. The quickest death is easily when a necro transfers all that condi kittene right back onto me. Ouch that hurts.

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

(edited by EnderzShadow.2506)

in Ranger

UmbraNoctis.1907

It is possible to dodge/avoid traps. Not even that hard …

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

Doesn’t that apply to like… every skill in the entire game?

I mean seriously.. the only skill I think I can’t reliably avoid if I have the CDs available is the Pistol sneak attack, and that’s simply because it can be spammed from range over and over till it does hit.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarlack.4096

Sarlack.4096

Fun watch, Good Job =D

in Ranger

Crapgame.6519

If you could see them…

I’m not sure if they allow you to dodge upon trigger or running into them (I’ve never honestly paid attention. The only issue I have found that is when a big o’l Char comes stumbling and a bumbling on my spike trap and does the flip flop animation – a part of me always loses time for the giggle factor. Just as much as the little cute and cuddly Asura’s. You think they are all full of golden bombs of light and love until they place a dagger between your ribs

in Ranger

borya.2964

Pets lack of stealth is a bug. No more than any other stealth class who has a mini out.
It is about choices, not everyone needs a stun break.
It isn’t all about organized play – Organized can be solo, scout, small group/havoc.
Youtube has nothing to do with skill – it is a social media tool.
Not everyone runs Meta nor does playing a meta build != skill.
Tier != skill. It is a population and wall clock coverage thing, everyone knows it.

It isn’t about people being sensitive, it is about the attitude that anything non meta or tier 1 being a troll build or not valid. People try different things. People choose to use the traits, runes, sigils, armor, and other stats differently. People play to have fun, not conform to a box as you are alluding to. There is nothing wrong with playing a trapper ranger no more than someone running glass/zerk.

Heck, the OP was running a double melee build with traps in WvW. Not even the freaking LB yet you want to say he was running a troll build. Go figure.

I chose my words because the OP is actually, a youtuber.

WvW roaming is a good place for experimental builds and rangers have a good fexibility here, the good rangers that everyone is familiar with play very custom builds light years away from kitten meta. I didn’t speak about meta. On the the opposite side, troll builds (trapper ranger is not the best for sure, but still) are absolutly and strictly the same for everyone, on all professions. They don’t try anything, choose anything, it’s the absolute conformity.

Once again, i like the OP’s vids, but not this one. I remember a guy who posted a vid few days ago (LB ranger, solo and small scale roaming, & even the other one playing in zergs) and he had pretty bad feebacks and strangely, no one came to say that he could have fun with it. But it’s anecdotal i guess.

Oh, and it’s not a melee build.

(edited by borya.2964)

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

Very cool build, makes me excited for spvp. Have you ever gotten wrecked due to lack of stun break, or has the stealth/evades been sufficient? What ammy would u run in spvp?

in Ranger

Posted by: Dolt.2731

Dolt.2731

Traps in spvp is rough.

Ebenezer Smee, Ranger SBI

in Ranger

Posted by: Dolt.2731

Dolt.2731

Although… should be quite strong in SH.

Ebenezer Smee, Ranger SBI

in Ranger

UmbraNoctis.1907

If you could see them…

I can see and hear, when/where they are placed. And if i dodge over them, the get triggered without hitting me. Or my pet/other AI triggers them …

Of course i will step into the traps, if the are placed before the fight on a point in pvp/at a choke point in wvw and i don’t know, I’m facing a trapper. But this is, what stunbreaks/condiremove/heals are for.

in Ranger

Holl.3109

Very cool build, makes me excited for spvp. Have you ever gotten wrecked due to lack of stun break, or has the stealth/evades been sufficient? What ammy would u run in spvp?

Yes! I was fighting a full zerker hammer warrior… Hammer #5…. Hammer #4…. Earthshaker…. Hammer #2… dead ranger ;-;

Sinister or rabid for pvp

Oh, and it’s not a melee build.

I would argue that it is. Sure you got some 1200 dagger/torch throws but with sword and axe, axe being a sort of shotgun weapon, you mostly stay within 600 range. That is IMO pretty melee-ish.

Fun watch, Good Job =D

Thanks

No buffs/effects are automatically shared between AI and the related player. And i’m pretty sure, this is intended. There is no reason to assume otherwise. And again, minis and AI like pets are not the same. So visible minis might be a bug, because they should not affect combat, but this does not apply to pets, clones, spirits, necros minions, turrets, …

If I remember correctly, mini’s count towards the ‘rune of the ranger’s’ #6 bonus, where you get 5% more dmg with a companion. But nvm this is too off topic x)

What other people play shouldn’t be the determining factor of how well a build fares. Also, why is it a troll build if it relies on stats? Wouldn’t stealth, evades and invulns/blocks be troll? ._.

+1 nice video, mate.

Thanks a lot for the kind words, Heimskarl

My goal was to have fun, goal achieved

Can say what you want about traps, I still think they are the funnest way to play the Ranger

+1

All 80’s – PvP/WvW
My YouTube channel

in Ranger

EnderzShadow.2506

sinister or rabid for pvp in a trapper build?
What do you need precision for?

Settler or Carrion

in Ranger

Holl.3109

Settler or Carrion

I’m so used to using rabid on necro that I didn’t even think about it ._.
But yes you are right, those two amulets are better than rabid, mb.

All 80’s – PvP/WvW
My YouTube channel

in Ranger

EnderzShadow.2506

Settler or Carrion

I’m so used to using rabid on necro that I didn’t even think about it ._.
But yes you are right, those two amulets are better than rabid, mb.

Yeah, I figured thats what it was. Cause it would make perfect sense for nec.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Except for the fact that the pet is explicitly tied to ranger, and its asinine that fortifying bond isn’t default (or buff share would be default).

Also, it defeats the point if something like clones stealth with you…as you want them to be around to disorient.

So think of the pet as an extension to the ranger. It is NOT a mere minion. Therefore, when I stealth, my pet should.