[Vid] Ranger Duels

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Posted by: Nugget.8031

Nugget.8031

Hiya!
Recorded a few fights while I was dueling in obsidian sanctum last night. Just recently got back into the game so I’m a bit rusty.

Using Faux’s shout build.

Vid: http://youtu.be/P7-A4UgQm18

Sorry for bad quality, having trouble recording+rendering with sony vegas, any tips are welcome.

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

The fight with the first warrior, I think you would have destroyed the warrior if you had used 1 or 2 canines for the stomp/fear to break their rotation and boon usage, also I noticed that you did an awesome job at staying alive, but you fell to the warrior’s pace and didn’t use your bonfire efficiently until 2/3 of the fight in. You can see how the second warrior fight turned out as you maximized the use of your bonfire there. I think you had her but sadly it didn’t end that way. Playing with bonfire means that you need to pull the enemy into your pace and make them believe that an in-fight is what will bring you down.

What was cool is that despite that, in your second fight you could say that you almost pulled her into your pace, however if you take a closer look she was taking the risk of letting you go into her for the sake of keeping you on fire. A big risk on both parts, it almost ended with her losing. The one thing that she didn’t do was give up her condition removal, which you did (signet of renewal activated) and we can argue that it might have saved you at the end.

All in all well fought. My recommendation? Let the warrior throw fire on the floor, whatever don’t go near it. You have the ranged advantage and they will swap weapons and come for you if they don’t want to die/stale mate. Besides even if they do force you to come for them, their longbow skills won’t regenerate fast enough, they will have to swap weapons to win, and that’s where you punish them for coming close to you.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Nugget.8031

The fight with the first warrior, I think you would have destroyed the warrior if you had used 1 or 2 canines for the stomp/fear to break their rotation and boon usage, also I noticed that you did an awesome job at staying alive, but you fell to the warrior’s pace and didn’t use your bonfire efficiently until 2/3 of the fight in. You can see how the second warrior fight turned out as you maximized the use of your bonfire there. I think you had her but sadly it didn’t end that way. Playing with bonfire means that you need to pull the enemy into your pace and make them believe that an in-fight is what will bring you down.

What was cool is that despite that, in your second fight you could say that you almost pulled her into your pace, however if you take a closer look she was taking the risk of letting you go into her for the sake of keeping you on fire. A big risk on both parts, it almost ended with her losing. The one thing that she didn’t do was give up her condition removal, which you did (signet of renewal activated) and we can argue that it might have saved you at the end.

All in all well fought. My recommendation? Let the warrior throw fire on the floor, whatever don’t go near it. You have the ranged advantage and they will swap weapons and come for you if they don’t want to die/stale mate. Besides even if they do force you to come for them, their longbow skills won’t regenerate fast enough, they will have to swap weapons to win, and that’s where you punish them for coming close to you.

Thanks for the tips ill definitely try this strat next time I face a condi warr. I honestly thought I had her both times but I guess I got just too aggressive at the ends. I think I probably should have used healing spring after watching back over them.

I see what you saying with the bonfires lol I seem to throw them down at random XD

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

Pretty well played here, I agree with Awge that I would probably choose different pets. I find the control you get from canines/spiders is pretty invaluable. I never run DPS pets unless I’m 6 points into BM. (For dueling, anyway.)

I noticed that Kinssssz was in your chat log. Tell’im Saethe said “HI!”

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

Well played… but in the end ranger is meh to me. Best ranger build is simply attrition/outlasting the opponents. In the end ranger is not best for duels. You wont beat a well played meta build from any other class. Why is condi ranger literally the slowest condi applier out of all condi builds besdies guard.

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

@Narkodx
Pretty sure warrior is the slowest condi-applier out of all the classes which play condi builds, but OK.

Also rangers are known for being excellent at dueling so I am not sure where you’ve come up with that notion from.

@OP, I have to admit I hate that type of build myself… You use every single ability straight off CD; dodges, elite and stunbeaker all included. Myself I cant see the point or fun in such a build since there seems to be no thought, not reaction or anticipation of your opponent, just pressing all the buttons and hope your build is better than his… but your saving grace is you do seem to be genuinely good at movement and positioning and that was nice to watch. So.. yeah, well played for what it is, but really not my thing :P

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Narkodx.1472

Condi attrition ranger builds are excellent at dueling non-sustain zerker builds. Please tell me you play a power build and beat most classes in a duel because I will laugh. Been playing the game since release all professions. Ranger is one of the weakest 1v1 professions against META builds. I wrote it in caps for a reason and of course assuming equal skill. Yea against the zerglings with random builds you can have a great time ganking them and feeling good but if you goto the sanctum everyday like me then you will realize every other class is better.

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

Meta builds of equal skill are the easiest to beat in 1vs1’s…

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Posted by: Terravos.4059

Terravos.4059

Well played… but in the end ranger is meh to me. Best ranger build is simply attrition/outlasting the opponents. In the end ranger is not best for duels. You wont beat a well played meta build from any other class. Why is condi ranger literally the slowest condi applier out of all condi builds besdies guard.

Rofl….

To funny

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Xsorus – Ranger PvP movies Creator of the BM Bunker

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Posted by: Troll.4237

Troll.4237

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Nugget.8031

@Narkodx
Pretty sure warrior is the slowest condi-applier out of all the classes which play condi builds, but OK.

Also rangers are known for being excellent at dueling so I am not sure where you’ve come up with that notion from.

@OP, I have to admit I hate that type of build myself… You use every single ability straight off CD; dodges, elite and stunbeaker all included. Myself I cant see the point or fun in such a build since there seems to be no thought, not reaction or anticipation of your opponent, just pressing all the buttons and hope your build is better than his… but your saving grace is you do seem to be genuinely good at movement and positioning and that was nice to watch. So.. yeah, well played for what it is, but really not my thing :P

The thing with these builds (sword/torch+axe/dagger condi) is that all your condition damage comes off your weapon skills, the auto attack is almost useless (hits like 300 max). All the weapon skills have cool downs of around 10 seconds which is why you “spam” them. This build does put a lot of people off tho because of how passive it is.

I agree with you on the dodges/evades tho, I really need work on that. I usually try to use weapon evades to keep poison up but I just started using doom sigils so i can use them more defensively.

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Posted by: Faux Sheaux.6179

Faux Sheaux.6179

Right on +1
/backtolurking

Ehmry Bay – Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Menorah | Charr Cat | Some Cat Thing
Still running my old RRR build because why not

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

Yeah I know.. I understand. Its really a perspective thing. I like SB and, if given half a chance, I will do nothing but press 1 the entire fight. It sounds passive and boring, but I to me like having all my damage on my #1 so that I am actively chosing every skill I do because of the utility it provides at that moment rather than spamming all the buttons right off CD. I can understand how others see that as even more passive than spamming every weapon skill to get maximum DPS though, depends how you look at it

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Narkodx.1472

LOVE the delusional rangers in this thread. META builds are the easiest to counter ha! Who actually goes to sanctum in this thread? Or you guys stick to EOTM destroy a thief in full zerk who key turned and assumed your build was the bomb diggity. Please whisper me in game if you think you can defeat a dhuum terror necro or nade spam engi. Will duel anyone.

I on the other hand am realistic. I have spent countless hours dueling top tier players with my ranger and similar builds as this video. I also tried the new power build. You guys simply arent facing top tier players if you think a ranger can defeat all builds. I can get my perplexity thief if you want as well. That will be a laugher.

Ranger needs adjusting. Bad in zergs. Bad in PvE. Decent in small man roaming dueling. Once you reach a skill plateau you’re better off on a thief/warr. Bottom Line. I still love my ranger though!

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

Yeah I know.. I understand. Its really a perspective thing. I like SB and, if given half a chance, I will do nothing but press 1 the entire fight. It sounds passive and boring, but I to me like having all my damage on my #1 so that I am actively chosing every skill I do because of the utility it provides at that moment rather than spamming all the buttons right off CD. I can understand how others see that as even more passive than spamming every weapon skill to get maximum DPS though, depends how you look at it

I’m going to say that I respect a well played power ranger, despite the disadvantages they do serve a purpose in different aspects of the game. Now the thing about the OP build is that you do depend on all that craziness that happens in combat. It looks like the player is going totally crazy spamming skills and hoping to win, but in reality a rotation emerges from all the chaos, constantly applying conditions, knowing which dodge skill to use, working around what you know your enemy will do, knowing when to heal and how to burst the enemy with conditions again + pet pressure can’t forget about that. All in all, it turns into a controlled as long as you keep on regaining control the flow of battle. Now note how OP got outplayed by that warrior, for that reason what he was doing looked more like pressing all the buttons and hoping for the best, where in reality he was just slowly being outplayed, so don’t get confused by it.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Posted by: Faux Sheaux.6179

Faux Sheaux.6179

LOL what a bunch of scrublord manbabies. Who actually goes to spanktum in this thread? Orr you guys stick to farming them nodes and thinking your undead killing bears are the bomb digiggidy? Please send me sexy whispers in game if you want my dumb terror necro or nade SPAM™ engi to bend over for you. Will luv u long tiem.

I on the other foot am realistic. I have spent countless hours dueling top tear QQers with my ranger and similar builds as this video. Seriously, I probably have a couple thousand hours, but I can’t actually count that high. I used to be a power ranger but I got all misty-eyed thinking of Blue and Pink spending all that time together without me. You guys simply aren’t facing the same issues of abandonment I am if you think a ranger can be a danger to every stranger. I can get my [insert more 2s here] if you want as well. That will be a LOL.

Ranger needs adjusting. Bad at parties. Bad in bed. Decent at being a small man but when you’re roaming that ill equipped, you’re not fit to duel. Once you reach a skill plateau you’re better off realizing that things will never get any better and just offing yourself. Bottom line. Game over man. I still love my ranger though!

Ehmry Bay – Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Menorah | Charr Cat | Some Cat Thing
Still running my old RRR build because why not

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

ItIsFinished.9462

LOVE the delusional rangers in this thread. META builds are the easiest to counter ha! Who actually goes to sanctum in this thread? Or you guys stick to EOTM destroy a thief in full zerk who key turned and assumed your build was the bomb diggity. Please whisper me in game if you think you can defeat a dhuum terror necro or nade spam engi. Will duel anyone.

I on the other hand am realistic. I have spent countless hours dueling top tier players with my ranger and similar builds as this video. I also tried the new power build. You guys simply arent facing top tier players if you think a ranger can defeat all builds. I can get my perplexity thief if you want as well. That will be a laugher.

Obsidian Sanctum, eh? Big boys club. But, before Sanctum, there was Champion’s Demense. And before Champion’s Demense, there was fight clubs behind the Windmill.

I really hope you are on tonight when I get home from work…

LOL what a bunch of scrublord manbabies. Who actually goes to spanktum in this thread? Orr you guys stick to farming them nodes and thinking your undead killing bears are the bomb digiggidy? Please send me sexy whispers in game if you want my dumb terror necro or nade SPAM™ engi to bend over for you. Will luv u long tiem.

I on the other foot am realistic. I have spent countless hours dueling top tear QQers with my ranger and similar builds as this video. Seriously, I probably have a couple thousand hours, but I can’t actually count that high. I used to be a power ranger but I got all misty-eyed thinking of Blue and Pink spending all that time together without me. You guys simply aren’t facing the same issues of abandonment I am if you think a ranger can be a danger to every stranger. I can get my [insert more 2s here] if you want as well. That will be a LOL.

Ranger needs adjusting. Bad at parties. Bad in bed. Decent at being a small man but when you’re roaming that ill equipped, you’re not fit to duel. Once you reach a skill plateau you’re better off realizing that things will never get any better and just offing yourself. Bottom line. Game over man. I still love my ranger though!

^^Lol

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Narkodx.1472

LOL GG. I may sound condescending/elitist but I am simply giving my opinion. I was dueling behind the windmill one month into the game. With a necromancer. Before dhuumfire and all the changes we got.. the days where an ELE could AFK against a necro. Fast forward a year and I have gotten around to every class tried every build power/condi whatever. But yea, I have no idea what I am talking about. Ranger is clearly the best dueler. PLEASE add me. Get your recording device ready too.

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Narkodx.1472

Actually nevermind. I saw you dueling that P/D thief in your video. He was horrible. You got no chance.

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

ItIsFinished.9462

Actually nevermind. I saw you dueling that P/D thief in your video. He was horrible. You got no chance.

That video is over 10 months old…many patches ago. That was an old celestial build I would run every now and then. What I run now vs what I ran then is nothing alike. But as you say, I should be easy pickings then. I look forward to tonight.

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

I agree about a well played necro giving any ranger a serious meltdown!!! There are just so many poorly played necros out there, most people have no idea what one can do. Best advantage a ranger has is he can run away. I played one first year.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Narkodx.1472

<3 I’m sure you wont be easy pickings. I see one major issue. I am on Crystal Desert and from looking at your sig… so are you!

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

I personally don’t like watching or using regen ranger builds, overplayed, overused, boring, and skill less to play imo, regen carries as you evade and slowly tic ur enemies’ health pool down, don’t get me wrong, I used regen ranger for the longest time (1-2 weeks into the game, I found out about the natural healing bug) but now, if you rlly want to impress me, show some fights with power ranger lol

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

[Vid] Ranger Duels

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

LOL! +1

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user