Vitality or Healing Power?

in Ranger

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

Which would be the better choice for survability? Given permanent Regeneration uptime, Troll Unguent (unless something else would work better? Spring’s water field is pretty nice alongside Greatsword #3), Signet of the Wild, and Natural Regeneration. (Are there any other sources of health gain that I’ve forgotten?)

My intention is to mostly play tank/support with the Ranger itself, with the pet doing the bulk of my damage. My damage would basically come in the form of Cleric or Sentinel gear, depending on the info I get here. I want to bring along the Guard shout alongside Runes of the Soldier for a somewhat-frequent-but-ultimately-probably-ineffective condition removal. That’s also the source of the permanent Regeneration uptime. It’ll also let me position the pet a little bit, and keep it durable via constant Protection. Plus I just love Guard overall, despite its (apparently) bad reputation. :P

As a side question, I’m guessing the stealth from Guard doesn’t do anything for a pet offensively like Jaguar’s Stalk does?

EDIT: Oh, I’ll probably use some Sigils for healing, as well, unless there’s a better option.

The class is always greener on the other side.

(edited by Toolbox.9375)

in Ranger

Posted by: Terravos.4059

Terravos.4059

If you have Perma regen, Healing Power will always be better then Vitality

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Xsorus – Ranger PvP movies Creator of the BM Bunker

in Ranger

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

Quick, simple answer, thank you.

Thinking on it further, I have to wonder if Vitality would be superior to Toughness in this particular setup? I’m wanting to use both Greatsword and Sword/Dagger, meaning lots of evasion. Protects from physical hits, but any condition will ignore it, and as I can only remove one condition at a time via Shouts, that may eat through pretty quick. I suppose, though, that I just need to evade the condition applications themselves. Going Vitality would mean Magi gear, giving me Precision as well, for more reliable activation of Sigils… Or, perhaps just go with a mix of both. Heck, I dunno, I suck at this.

The class is always greener on the other side.

in Ranger

Posted by: KeyOrion.9506

KeyOrion.9506

I know if your jumping off from a great height, go toughness.

When I’m cute, I can be cute. But when I’m mean, I can be very very mean.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shirk.6421

Shirk.6421

Just calculate from your stats: How many seconds of regen does it take to get to the point where it’s more hp than you would get from vitality. Also, vitality can help you survive bursts better, but you have to figure it out for each scenario and then decide.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I have no Vitality and lots of Healing Power and am very hard to kill, so I say HP. Of course if I could give up some of my toughness for Vitality I would definitely do that.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Ranger

Posted by: sendaf.8375

sendaf.8375

If you are going for a perma regen/sig of wild build then healing power is the way to go. Also if you go with healing power choose toughness as a 2nd trait. high toughness makes every point of hp you regen worth that much more.

there are some posts that u can dig up that describe how to effectively do exactly what you are asking for; I forget the post name but do a little digging and you’l find it