WVW, GVG Guilds to Rangers: You can't join!!!

in Ranger

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

I’m sure there have been many threads on this subject. But until ANeT actually addresses the issue it needs to be brought back.

ANeT, please give the ranger class boost that it needs and changes that make us DESIRED in WvW and GvG. I heard yet again in TS – “I don’t allow rangers in my guild.” And this is a wide-spread attitude among WvW/GvG oriented guilds. You have allowed an entire class to become ostracized. Every update you do you have made us more and more irrelevant.

Being relegated to a roamer class is like being a second-class citizen.

Basically:
- Rangers need a big damage output boost. We’re talking 25% plus at least. We need to be feared, especially at range. Right now we are worse than a standard arrow cart.
- We need more actual AoE attacks.(Not traps)
- Many of our traits need to be condensed or natural to the class. Being able to always run at 25% without having to use a signet should be a given for example.
- Our pet, to be viable, needs to hit like a Mac Truck and be survivable. Right now a pet dies like an ambient creature.
- Other classes need to have certain abilities removed that should be exclusive to he ranger class or to other classes. Like the elementalist being able to heal like there is no tomorrow(and at range at that). And warrior horns are just ridiculous and recharge WAY TOO FAST. Ours takes 30 seconds in comparison.
- We need to be able to detect stealthed objects and target them. We are one with the land, or so I’m told, so if something is out of the ordinary we should know it. “Look at those tracks on the ground being made by nothing we can see.” “Oh, it’s just the wind, ignore it. No body could possibly be using stealth around here.”

Anyway, please do something meaningful. You have allowed rangers to be alienated in a social game. That means, customers are being alienated, BTW.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

in Ranger

Posted by: Drok Kindleshot.1496

Drok Kindleshot.1496

Haven’t played in over a year and since they broke the RANGER I have no plans on coming back until the Ranger is made viable again…running around with a GS is not my idea of being a Ranger it is so contradictory to everything that ANET says about the Ranger on their homepage.

a Year lets see I could of probably spent atleast 100-200 dollars or more on this game in the cash shop….

THis and the fact that they only want to roll out small content here and there are the two main reasons why I have not come back to this game….I logged into Yaks bend the other day and I visited main cities very few people and not ONE ranger…but I bet if I went to ARAH I would see the same BOTS out there farming with their train of bears….

Guild Wars 1 was successful and a blast to play…this game is just getting worse….be back when they fix the Ranger and they release permanent content like an expansion …..the Cantha thread on the main forums has like a gazillion views…

in Ranger

Posted by: attrail.8613

attrail.8613

Who doesnt play for a whole year but still reads the forums…

in Ranger

Posted by: Drok Kindleshot.1496

Drok Kindleshot.1496

THank you for that insightful tidbit but if you read around the internet not just here there are lots of players that are coming back and searching for answers and lots of them have been gone for more than a year…..

in Ranger

Posted by: Elrond.9486

Elrond.9486

Honestly this is a problem. When I used to main thief there was the usual QQ’ing on the forums about how the class was being ruined, they needed buffs, everyone’s favorite builds being destroyed, etc. Of course a lot of that was unfounded, and they just wanted buffs or didn’t want to lose their spot as one of the best classes. But as a newish Ranger, joining a competitive guild, is instant 15 people asking me to main something else. Pretty much asking if it’s a joke, b/c Rangers have no place here. Thankfully I’m in a better guild now, but there’s still the pressure because it’s so hard to be competitive with the other classes. I know it’ll be more rewarding because of the higher skill curve but it’s hard. Maybe it’s just b/c I’m used to the faceroll classes like War.

Zeus Thorsson – Guardian
Silver Moon [MOON]
The Toast

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Well GvG is exclusive to Guild Wars 1 at this point, so anybody that actually advertises as GvG is beyond hope and should be avoided at all costs if you actually want to exhibit any semblance of actually being good at this game, since the reality is that it’s just big blobs of players fighting other blobs of players trying to stack as many frustrating mechanics together as humanly possible to out blob another blob.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

I’m sure there have been many threads on this subject. But until ANeT actually addresses the issue it needs to be brought back.

ANeT, please give the ranger class boost that it needs and changes that make us DESIRED in WvW and GvG. I heard yet again in TS – “I don’t allow rangers in my guild.” And this is a wide-spread attitude among WvW/GvG oriented guilds. You have allowed an entire class to become ostracized. Every update you do you have made us more and more irrelevant.

Being relegated to a roamer class is like being a second-class citizen.

Basically:
- Rangers need a big damage output boost. We’re talking 25% plus at least. We need to be feared, especially at range. Right now we are worse than a standard arrow cart.
- We need more actual AoE attacks.(Not traps)
- Many of our traits need to be condensed or natural to the class. Being able to always run at 25% without having to use a signet should be a given for example.
- Our pet, to be viable, needs to hit like a Mac Truck and be survivable. Right now a pet dies like an ambient creature.
- Other classes need to have certain abilities removed that should be exclusive to he ranger class or to other classes. Like the elementalist being able to heal like there is no tomorrow(and at range at that). And warrior horns are just ridiculous and recharge WAY TOO FAST. Ours takes 30 seconds in comparison.
- We need to be able to detect stealthed objects and target them. We are one with the land, or so I’m told, so if something is out of the ordinary we should know it. “Look at those tracks on the ground being made by nothing we can see.” “Oh, it’s just the wind, ignore it. No body could possibly be using stealth around here.”

Anyway, please do something meaningful. You have allowed rangers to be alienated in a social game. That means, customers are being alienated, BTW.

great, love ur ideas

we should be able to hit 1-3k AA on lb at full range (non-crit) without being full zerk (in a power build, maybe change eagle eye to 15% damage increase instead of 5%).

remove tail wind in skirmishing and replace with permanent 25% movement speed

signet of the hunt should be replaced with 180 power passive, 15% more damage on next 5 attacks as the active

warhorn 5 needs to be on a 20 second cooldown, 16 if traited (like a warrior)

new skirmishing grandmaster trait: gain a boon every 15 seconds for 4 seconds that allows us to see and target stealthed enemies (or make signet of the hunt active apply this boon for 5 seconds)

and barrage should be able to be cast while moving and hit every target in its aoe, not just 5

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

(edited by shadowpass.4236)

in Ranger

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

Well GvG is exclusive to Guild Wars 1 at this point, so anybody that actually advertises as GvG is beyond hope and should be avoided at all costs if you actually want to exhibit any semblance of actually being good at this game, since the reality is that it’s just big blobs of players fighting other blobs of players trying to stack as many frustrating mechanics together as humanly possible to out blob another blob.

Learn the difference between a pug blob and WvW guild group. GvG guild make up the majority of the regular/hardcore wvwers, atleast in EU. There might not be an official mode for GvG, but considering Anet put a massive arena in the OS and removed the bloodlust from that area, means they gave players a gvg arena, just not with a separate game mode. GvG is still a big part of wvw, and it’s actually smaller than it used to be. Just because Anet is too wound up in their dreamland esports of Tpvp, doesn’t mean GvG is a GW1 exclusive.

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Not sure if this is serious or a parody.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

We need to be feared, especially at range.

A ranger isn’t meant to be someone who attacks “from range”. They’d be called an Archer if that was the case. A Ranger in this case is a roamer, a wanderer. Common misconception. Naming the class Ranger was a terrible decision for this very reason.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Learn the difference between a pug blob and WvW guild group. GvG guild make up the majority of the regular/hardcore wvwers, atleast in EU. There might not be an official mode for GvG, but considering Anet put a massive arena in the OS and removed the bloodlust from that area, means they gave players a gvg arena, just not with a separate game mode. GvG is still a big part of wvw, and it’s actually smaller than it used to be. Just because Anet is too wound up in their dreamland esports of Tpvp, doesn’t mean GvG is a GW1 exclusive.

It was only done to remove all the players who weren’t going to help with the objective of WvW to take them off the map so players who were actually trying to play WvW objectively could successfully queue into maps.

GvG in this game is a massive blob of uninterpretable graphics which ultimately just just groups of players spamming AoE at other groups of players at the command or request of somebody who tries to take charge of the chaos.

It’s actually pretty insulting to me personally as a GW1 competitive GvG vet that people in this game even have the audacity to think that there is any sort of competitive nature to large groups spamming AoE at each other. It’s competitive roleplaying, or the equivalent of larping in real life, and then those same people have the audacity to express elitism and are condescending towards everybody else because they think their made up “game mode” makes them good.

And I PLAY in a guild that occasionally GvGs. But to the best of my knowledge, they’ll accept all players because they play all aspects of the game, and they sure as hell don’t run their mouths off about it and try to make everybody feel inferior than them.

I’ll believe that GvG is a real game mode and is competitive when I see a leaderboard for GvG. I think that’s fair. Until then, my advice was meant to be, extracted from my opinion, that nobody who wants to play ranger should be discouraged by a group of players that only matter inside their only little world they’ve created that has no effect on the rest of the game whatsoever.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

A ranger isn’t meant to be someone who attacks “from range”. They’d be called an Archer if that was the case. A Ranger in this case is a roamer, a wanderer. Common misconception. Naming the class Ranger was a terrible decision for this very reason.

directly from a-net themselves

“Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows. With traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation”

That sounds like we’re supposed to be good “from a distance”

not to say we’re archerers in a medieval sense (that’s more the warriors job, imo) but it’s undebatable that we’re supposed to be a ranged class (which is where a lot of the problems stem from imo, melee>ranged most of the time)

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

in Ranger

Posted by: MuchWaffle.2579

MuchWaffle.2579

Good ideas, but what we really need is better synergy with other classes to remove the whole “selfish” tag that has been painted on rangers.

In short, make the ranger play a role that players would actually have to stop and think if they want the ranger instead of some other class for that last open slot in the party.

Someone suggested a bit back to have piercing arrows copy conditions from the first target into all targets that are pierced by it.

That alone would be a COMPLETE game changer in making us more useful.

Guild: Winds Of Change[Wind]
Server: BlackGate
Lvl 80 Classes: Ranger, Warrior, Guardian, Engineer, Thief

in Ranger

warriorjrd.8695

It was only done to remove all the players who weren’t going to help with the objective of WvW to take them off the map so players who were actually trying to play WvW objectively could successfully queue into maps.

GvG in this game is a massive blob of uninterpretable graphics which ultimately just just groups of players spamming AoE at other groups of players at the command or request of somebody who tries to take charge of the chaos.

It’s actually pretty insulting to me personally as a GW1 competitive GvG vet that people in this game even have the audacity to think that there is any sort of competitive nature to large groups spamming AoE at each other. It’s competitive roleplaying, or the equivalent of larping in real life, and then those same people have the audacity to express elitism and are condescending towards everybody else because they think their made up “game mode” makes them good.

And I PLAY in a guild that occasionally GvGs. But to the best of my knowledge, they’ll accept all players because they play all aspects of the game, and they sure as hell don’t run their mouths off about it and try to make everybody feel inferior than them.

I’ll believe that GvG is a real game mode and is competitive when I see a leaderboard for GvG. I think that’s fair. Until then, my advice was meant to be, extracted from my opinion, that nobody who wants to play ranger should be discouraged by a group of players that only matter inside their only little world they’ve created that has no effect on the rest of the game whatsoever.

Well a blob is over 40 players, so I want to see a video of a 40v40 gvg please. Most GvG’s are 15v15 or 20v20. you very rarely see anything larger than that. Surely if it’s as easy as you make it sound your guild should be top ranked in gvg then no? Why not try facing a top gvg guild and see how well that goes for you. GvG requires cooperation and coordination, it’s a different kind of skill to spvp or roaming. I’m not talking 80 man blobs you see in EB, I’m talking about coordinated guild groups, that are able to wipe those 80 man blobs with not more than 20 men.

Perhaps you should spend more time in wvw and maybe take a trip to an EU server that is run by wvw guilds. This isn’t GW1 anymore, your knowledge of gvg there doesn’t carry over here. Even if the GvG’s they partake in are self organised and run by the players. If you beat a good guild, it doesn’t matter if you did it through a mode anet installed or one you made, you still beat a good guild. Judging by the way you talk about wvw I’m getting the feeling you are an spvper, and these gvg’s your guild partakes in are held there, where I suppose it’s more official. Honestly get out into wvw routinely, take a look at these guilds, and you will see that their elitism (however arrogant and unnecessary) is justified by their performance.

And while I agree that no class should be discriminated I can sympathize with the wvw/gvg guilds. Ranger’s strengths are very limited in guild groups, they excel elsewhere. If they don’t need you, they don’t take you. That’s how most wvw guilds work

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

Stopped reading there… Arrow carts wouldn’t be used if anyone was better than one…

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Not that I agree with most of the buffs mentioned in OP. But forget what the classes are called. Imagine we have 8 unnamed classes in this game and there so happens to be a class that is advertised:

“[This class] rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. Unparalleled archers, [This class is] capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows. With traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, [This Class] can adapt to any situation.”

What can you take from this advertisement? An introduction to the class?
Key words:
-“Unparalleled” archers
-Bows
-Traps
-Pets

Again, the name does not matter, the description of the class was why I picked ranger.

in Ranger

Heibi.4251

Stopped reading there… Arrow carts wouldn’t be used if anyone was better than one…

Then you probably don’t like the ranger in the first place. If you stopped reading then the ranger will never be improved. You need to site an example. Standard ACs just tickle these days. Ranger damage output is worse.

in Ranger

Posted by: urdriel.8496

urdriel.8496

Ofc, all people would reroll to that class ,no?? omg……

in Ranger

Heibi.4251

This thread is not about if GvG, WvW, or PvP is good. It is about how the ranger class is being alienated and that ANeT needs to make big improvements so the class just doesn’t vanish.

in Ranger

Posted by: ceejay.2517

ceejay.2517

when i go from my thief SB to ranger SB i cry.

Psyyy | PvP Necro |

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Good, maybe everyone will roll zerk rangers instead and every fight can be over in a matter of seconds. Hour long Garrison fights are so dull…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I don’t think rangers need more damage. They would be severely OP in small scale combat because their single target damage is fine. One should be addressed on focusing on their ability to deliver said damage to a enemy zerg. This game also isn’t balanced around 111111111 content.

IMO, it just takes two steps:

Merge Signet of the Beastmaster with Signet Mastery to adept or remove it entirely, making it so that signets work without traits.

Merge Piercing Arrows + Eagle Eye, and maybe make it so that it increases SB range by 150. This way you could take both without sacrificing spotter and look selfish and/or worthless.

That would be more than enough. The main problem is that ranger traits are so scattered and have to compete with each other over a small space.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Ranger

warriorjrd.8695

I don’t think rangers need more damage. They would be severely OP in small scale combat because their single target damage is fine. One should be addressed on focusing on their ability to deliver said damage to a enemy zerg. This game also isn’t balanced around 111111111 content.

IMO, it just takes two steps:

Merge Signet of the Beastmaster with Signet Mastery to adept or remove it entirely, making it so that signets work without traits.

Merge Piercing Arrows + Eagle Eye, and maybe make it so that it increases SB range by 150. This way you could take both without sacrificing spotter and look selfish and/or worthless.

That would be more than enough. The main problem is that ranger traits are so scattered and have to compete with each other over a small space.

We also need some form of reliable and powerful AOE. Like you said rangers are fine 1v1 and 2v1 or any small scale for that matter. But with zergs or guild groups our high single target damage isn’t as effective, and barrage really only hits high if you are more glassy than not.

Maybe make SB 2 like choking gas so we could poison regroups and give us more aoe. Some roamers/spvper might not like this, but make sword auto attack cleave and lose it’s leap to target so that we can get it’s high damage and just run through enemies cleaving like every other class with a sword can..

And yes I agree some of our traits need to be merged. I noticed that necro’s have a trait that reduced signet CD as well as gives them 3 stacks of might upon activation. It’s a shorter might duration than beastmasters might, but it’s still two of our traits combined into one. So why not us?

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Back then when my guild was still active we did weekly 10vs10 GvGs and I was always part of those with my ranger. Quite often the opposite team’s first thought seemed to be LOLOLOL LOOK THEY HAVE A RANGER IN THEIR SETUP EZPZ WIN but quite often the opposite team ended up switching one of their dudes out for a ranger when they realised having one isn’t that bad after all. This was some months ago already tho, meta has changed and it’s harder to find 10vs10s these days. But I believe a good ranger can make a difference in GvG setups.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

I agree that there the sentiment about the ranger being useless being very prevalent. Its amusing when I am roaming with guild groups and being the only one with a pet.

Not going to belabor the point whether we are or not.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Posted by: geogyf.5087

geogyf.5087

when you get kicked from dungeons because they dont want a ranger, you will understand what the OP is saying