Warhorn - does it have a purpose?

in Ranger

Posted by: Starbreaker.6507

Starbreaker.6507

Just for kicks I decided to start working on a second ranger and deciding to take things a little slower than I did on my first ranger and experiment a little along the way, especially with weapons I’ve barely ever used.

Having said that I can’t seem to find any practical use for warhorns. The skills seem nice, but the cooldowns feel awkward and maybe a tad too long?

I just wanted to hear from the folks that have played longer than I have. Is it pretty much a dead weapon that nobody bothers using, or is there some novelty build where it could feasibility work?

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Some use Warhorn 5 for the extra blast finisher.

Some use Warhorn 4 in rabid condition builds to proc bleeds.

Its… quite subpar imo.

< played for 3+ yrs now and has six lvl 80 rangers all ascended :x

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

The Hunter’s Call skill is double cd reduced with its trait. -40% that is.

The warhorn has average skills that competes with dagger at best. It’s no competition for axe or torch though.

They would probably need to make Hunter’s Call, 5-no-target-required cast and add vulnerability or something.
Call of the Wild would probably need 8 stacks of might and cause 5sec of reveal to 5 enemies in the radius.

So while it’s skills function adequately, its hard to take the weapon who’s skills are trumped by madking runes and resounding timber.

in Ranger

Posted by: Euthymias.7984

Euthymias.7984

I really feel like this weapon could have been reworked to be our “In” to boonplay/boonstrip…

in Ranger

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Not a big fan of Warhorn myself. I used to use it a long time ago with my trapper build to blast fire fields but it’s definitely lacking.

Hunter’s Call is just on way too long of a cooldown. With the trait, it’s not so bad but it still feels like it needs something else. The best way I’ve found to use it (with a power build) is to do Hunter’s Call → Rapid Fire for a pretty nice burst. Not enough to warrant taking it over other offhand weapons though.

Call Of The Wild is nice for the blast finisher and everything but it’s really not necessary.

I don’t want to say it’s a “dead” weapon as there are worse ones in the game. But it is probably our worst weapon. Although mainhand axe on a power build might compete for that spot if you’ve ever tried it. The damage is pretty lolbad.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

From a PvP-perspective; the warhorn synergizes quite well with sword. Skill #5 is quite fine, especially if you choose to go for nature magic (large fury uptime can be worth quite a lot). The problem is skill #4, which damage is way too low. The weapon is decent if you don’t want to choose for Beastmastery or Druid natural stride to get enough swiftness.

in Ranger

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

The warhorn has average skills that competes with dagger at best. It’s no competition for axe or torch though.

They would probably need to make Hunter’s Call, 5-no-target-required cast and add vulnerability or something.
Call of the Wild would probably need 8 stacks of might and cause 5sec of reveal to 5 enemies in the radius.

So while it’s skills function adequately, its hard to take the weapon who’s skills are trumped by madking runes and resounding timber.

8 stacks is too much lol. Just bring down the cd to 25 then add the reveal. The reveal is such a good idea too since we are rangers after all.

Hunter’s call is a little tricky, making it hit 5 targets will insta kill you with retal. How bout we put blind on it and make it AoE.? does retal go through blind?

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Ranger

HeadCrowned.6834

No, don’t make it AoE. We need a single-target burst or dps skill.

in Ranger

StickerHappy.8052

why not AoE that hits hard? like meteor shower, you both get the benefits that you want with 1 stone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fenrir Bartea.5917

Fenrir Bartea.5917

As has been mentioned ,I use it with some effectiveness with sword. Essentially the Warhorn is a boon battery in my build, SotP+Hunter’s call followed by WHaO. That on top of Call of the Wild gives me plenty of might. I do agree that the Warhorn is extremely dated and defenitely needs some love.

An AoE reveal, Vuln, Blinds, Boonrip. any of the above would improve Hunter’s Call.

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

It sure does- for some builds horn 5 is the only source for out of combat swiftness and regen (if traited).
Look at stuski yomi build for example(wvw):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvEjVYDHPr8

Horn 4 while not being amazing still have some synergy with shapened edges and Strengh of the pack, for might stacking. Pol already mentioned to the low CD of the skill f traited.

in Ranger

StickerHappy.8052

It sure does- for some builds horn 5 is the only source for out of combat swiftness and regen (if traited).
Look at stuski yomi build for example(wvw):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvEjVYDHPr8

Horn 4 while not being amazing still have some synergy with shapened edges and Strengh of the pack, for might stacking. Pol already mentioned to the low CD of the skill f traited.

Horn 4 is horrid even with some synergy, Blocks and blinds nullify the entire 16 hits if i am not mistaken. The damage is so pathetic too.

If it was AoE and did something other than damage then we are good. Hell even vuln is good.

in Ranger

Posted by: LittleHorn.6728

LittleHorn.6728

AOE damage and blind would make sense though. Birds coming down and pecking at the eyes of your enemies merits at least blindness. I use war horn on my build and 4 is usually only used when I am waiting for something to finish cd.

in Ranger

HeadCrowned.6834

why not AoE that hits hard? like meteor shower, you both get the benefits that you want with 1 stone.

Because we already have too much AoE skills in-game. And then I mean for all professions, not only ranger. Almost all our dps skills are actually done over time or is an AoE in which the enemy has to stand in; traps, glyphs, LB #2 and LB #5, Torch #5, Axe #5, etc. We need a more reliable ranged 1-hit burst skill. With all the blocks, invulns, projectile hate and movementimparing reduction traits we barely get to land all potential damage from skills like LB Rapid fire. With a single hit burst you can do something about this.

in Ranger

StickerHappy.8052

Because we already have too much AoE skills in-game. And then I mean for all professions, not only ranger. Almost all our dps skills are actually done over time or is an AoE in which the enemy has to stand in; traps, glyphs, LB #2 and LB #5, Torch #5, Axe #5, etc. We need a more reliable ranged 1-hit burst skill. With all the blocks, invulns, projectile hate and movementimparing reduction traits we barely get to land all potential damage from skills like LB Rapid fire. With a single hit burst you can do something about this.

SO lets make it like this

Damage Damage (16x): 612 (3.75)?
Range: 1,200
Unblockable
Deals 1 random condition each hit
Blind (1s)
Cripple (2s)
Vuln (2s)

Same coefficient as rapid fire.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Warhorn has a purpose, but both the skills and trait are rather lackluster. Can’t just blame the ‘horn. I’d personally rather see some small changes to both skills and a major one to Windborne Notes.

Both skills could use a 5-second reduction on their cooldowns. Then, bump up the number of targets Hunter’s Call can summon bird swarms on from 1 to 3.

As for Windborne Notes, the bug that applies double cooldown reduction can be addressed, then have its functionality changed to: “Warhorn skills convert 1 condition into Regeneration (10s) on allies within range.”

At least then, there would be some flexibility and worthwhile utility added to the trait with further effectiveness Marksmanship synergy for Clarion Bond, other than being another regeneration source.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

(edited by Wondrouswall.7169)

in Ranger

Justine.6351

As for Windborne Notes, the bug that applies double cooldown reduction can be addressed, then have its functionality changed to: “Warhorn skills convert 1 condition into Regeneration (10s) on allies within range.”

I do not understand why people think that is a bug. It’s pretty clear its a form of compensation for a trait that would otherwise affect only one skill on a weapon with only two skills.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

It’s pretty clear its a form of compensation for a trait that would otherwise affect only one skill on a weapon with only two skills.

Unless stated otherwise by the Devs, themselves, it’s a bug. It was never made clear by them, ever. It is assumption that it’s a form of compensation at this point. Even the Wiki lists it as a bug.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hunter's_Call

in Ranger

Justine.6351

It’s pretty clear its a form of compensation for a trait that would otherwise affect only one skill on a weapon with only two skills.

Unless stated otherwise by the Devs, themselves, it’s a bug. It was never made clear by them, ever. It is assumption that it’s a form of compensation at this point. Even the Wiki lists it as a bug.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hunter's_Call

Who do you think maintains the wiki lols.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

That’s besides the point. No official Dev statement means it’s just another beneficial Ranger bug.

in Ranger

Justine.6351

That’s besides the point. No official Dev statement means it’s just another beneficial Ranger bug.

So I guess removing double leap from gs swoop was a bug fix not a nerf. Kk makes sense now.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

It was reported as a bug in the large Ranger Bug post a long while back. No other single-leap procs twice, so Rangers can be kitten about that all they want, it was fair enough. Until Hunter’s Call becomes a threat/viable, that double cooldown bonus will probably stay there, especially when trees and small rocks can negate the entire attack.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

8 stacks is too much lol. Just bring down the cd to 25 then add the reveal. The reveal is such a good idea too since we are rangers after all.

Hunter’s call is a little tricky, making it hit 5 targets will insta kill you with retal. How bout we put blind on it and make it AoE.? does retal go through blind?

How is 8 stacks too much? PS warrior generates 25 permanent stacks of might for the group in a 100B+Whirlwind sequence.

Ele’s attunement rotation on a fresh air build grants them 12 might stacks on dagger/warhorn.

You PvP people…..

Warhorn 5 has a ridiculous 30 sec cd for a wimpy 3 stacks of might, fury, and swiftness for 15 seconds(fury and swiftness which everyone has in spades, and the tiger alone provides ~90% uptime of fury with his F2).

It is absolutely dreadful. Reveal and blind are useless in PvE. This class needs more universal buffs that make weapons good in all formats, not more PvP gimmicks.

in Ranger

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

My two cents on Hunter’s Call → Reduce cooldown 5 – 10 seconds, add pulsing Blind for every hit, increase damage 10 – 15%, cause cripple if target is blocking.

“Call hawks to swarm your foe Blinding with every pulse. Cripple your foe instead if they are blocking.”

Would be difficult to remove a quickly pulsing Blind and if it’s blocked, the Cripple gives you an easier time with kiting. Doesn’t sound too OP and sticks with the general theme.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

I use it all the time in PvP, but I don’t think anyone else does. I’ve never seen another Druid use it!

It’s probably a little weak. I equip it when the enemy team does not have more than 1 rev and thief. If you use it in the meta bunker build you can also trait it in NM traitline. If the enemy has a necro, this is a bit risky but works well.

I use it to might stack pet and self and to get regen on allies to build AF fast. You can blast finish smokescale smoke and staff 5 water wall.

Skill 4 is interesting in that it hits several times over several seconds. It’s kind of like unloading with LB 2. If you time it with Rampage as One you can fully might stack your pet. Also, it hits over time so you can use it and instantly start cleaving with sword. The birds and your swings will be landing on foe at the same time. It adds nicely to damage spike,

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in Ranger

HeadCrowned.6834

SO lets make it like this

Damage Damage (16x): 612 (3.75)?
Range: 1,200
Unblockable
Deals 1 random condition each hit
Blind (1s)
Cripple (2s)
Vuln (2s)

Same coefficient as rapid fire.

I’d rather make it an attack that is a 1-hit. So the birds peck your target all at once and then that’s it. Then you could add something like 5 stacks of invuln and 5 seconds of blindness to it, and then we will be having a nice skill, if the base damage is improved ofc.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Imo I use warhorn (have for the last few months…maybe 4-5) and the way im set up (For WvW btw) I have 100% uptime for fury/swiftness and might. Again, they way im set up, its perfect for a burst (Warhorn 5 then 4, swap to LB , 4 then 2 for the root while the birds are still pecking, proc my air/blood sigils). The blast on a smokescale does help, ill activate certain utilities without them knowing that I did for that advantage. I’ve had more success using the warhorn than I did with any other weapon set up for my second weapon setup.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in Ranger

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

No, its swiftness is outdone by
-Resounding Timber (swiftness on shouts)
-Natural Stride (+33% perm)

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

in Ranger

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

No, its swiftness is outdone by
-Resounding Timber (swiftness on shouts)
-Natural Stride (+33% perm)

My build (For WvW) doesn’t use either of these so I guess based on your reasoning, it depends on if you are spec’d for either of these.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in Ranger

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

I use Warhorn for boon share with my pet and shouts. It works great, to bad i can’t give those boons to the rest of my party, If only there was a pet that was able to share boons with the party i’d run it in a heartbeat.

in Ranger

HeadCrowned.6834

Warhorn #5 is fine, #4 is not. Let’s not forget that.

in Ranger

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

It’s fallen out of favour after healing spring was hardcore nerfed. The #5 is still fine, maybe a little uninspiring, but fine, the #4 is meh.

Disagree about the anti-AOE sentiment — one of the biggest issues with ranger (from a WVW perspective) is the lack of ranged AOE.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

in Ranger

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

I use Warhorn for boon share with my pet and shouts. It works great, to bad i can’t give those boons to the rest of my party, If only there was a pet that was able to share boons with the party i’d run it in a heartbeat.

mm you should at 750 range for s5. so if everyone stack u can share fury, speed, might and regen (with traits)

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia