Watching the Hobbit

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: excelsior.2168

excelsior.2168

And I’ve noticed something.

Rangers in GW2 are the elves of LotR.

I mean, so freaking graceful (will admit the sword GW2 is clunky feeling) but how the ranger bounces all over the place like Legolas does in the river fight scene reminds me so much of playing my ranger. Switching effortlessly between the bow and swords/daggers (might be both can’t really tell). Just ugh.

So if you feel bad about the ranger and how Anet doesn’t seem to understand us. Watch the Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug and you’ll feel better.

Excelsior Longfello-Human Mesmer [OMFG]
Woodshavings-Sylvari Ranger [WIND]

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: blud.8174

blud.8174

I thought that too!

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Legolas is actually an Archer and not a ranger according to the books.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: excelsior.2168

excelsior.2168

Yes, I’ve read the books. Guess I wasn’t clear. The fighting style of the elves, i.e. Legolas, reminds me of the play style of rangers in Guild Wars 2.

Excelsior Longfello-Human Mesmer [OMFG]
Woodshavings-Sylvari Ranger [WIND]

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

I immediately thought of my Ranger when I saw the elves fighting in the movie :P

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Maybe it’s because I play a charr ranger, but I never found the sword to be graceful. It’s one of the most movement restrctive weapons in the game.

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I thought the samething a well. When I watched the movie I was like yup, this is how my Ranger gets down. As for the Legolas comment, its true, he isnt a Ranger hes an Archer although they are somewhat in the same category (in D&D Archer is a subclass of Ranger, and Elves are attuned to a Ranger type lifestyle in LOTR) the real Ranger is Aragorn.

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

The difference between GW2 Rangers and LOTR Rangers/Elves is that the ones in LOTR aren’t stupid enough to run around with an idiot pet :p

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: Husanak.3769

Husanak.3769

Lotro got the rangers very right. I really wish GW2 had done the class more like that.

I played my lotro ranger just so I could see the animation when something got in my face and I would punch them and then fire an arrow into them point blank.

Really ranger should have been pet less… the pets are goofy. They won’t ever go back on that now of course. The class should have been a trapper / Stealth class. We should have had a bar like the warriors adrenaline bar, that would have charged up for our F1-F4. They could have swapped the F skills around based on the weapon slotted, with 3 levels just like warriors bar. That way we could have weapons give us the F1 skill line up with 2 handers haveing unique 1-4s… and single hand weapons imparting 2. Ranged weapons could have been traps and support skills… melee could have been Stealth and tricks like muddy t. Our 7-9 skills could have focused more on spirits / runes / perhaps even some glyphs. Leaving our survival / trap type skills as a class mechanic.

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Lotro got the rangers very right. I really wish GW2 had done the class more like that.

I played my lotro ranger just so I could see the animation when something got in my face and I would punch them and then fire an arrow into them point blank.

Really ranger should have been pet less… the pets are goofy. They won’t ever go back on that now of course. The class should have been a trapper / Stealth class. We should have had a bar like the warriors adrenaline bar, that would have charged up for our F1-F4. They could have swapped the F skills around based on the weapon slotted, with 3 levels just like warriors bar. That way we could have weapons give us the F1 skill line up with 2 handers haveing unique 1-4s… and single hand weapons imparting 2. Ranged weapons could have been traps and support skills… melee could have been Stealth and tricks like muddy t. Our 7-9 skills could have focused more on spirits / runes / perhaps even some glyphs. Leaving our survival / trap type skills as a class mechanic.

Or just play a warrior, and use a lb. You can sort of mimic the look with a sword/sword lb setup. There are even armors that look like they are leather in some ways. Make a sylvari/human and go with a condi spec to get the best of it. You end up doing a ton of damage, and being super tanky.

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: Rannulf.9417

Rannulf.9417

Yea like Drizzt and Guenhwyvar except we’re pretty useless. Want to know what happened today in AC? full Beastmaster build and my pet got one shotted, so basically 75% of our damage went down the drain i wish we weren’t so freaking useless. I wish.

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: Slug.3582

Slug.3582

Yea like Drizzt and Guenhwyvar except we’re pretty useless. Want to know what happened today in AC? full Beastmaster build and my pet got one shotted, so basically 75% of our damage went down the drain i wish we weren’t so freaking useless. I wish.

No, whats useless is you playing a BM build in dungeons… thats useless.

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

GW1 and 2 ranger is influenced by D&D, which again was influenced by LotR among other things… coincidence? i think not.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Or just play a warrior, and use a lb. You can sort of mimic the look with a sword/sword lb setup. There are even armors that look like they are leather in some ways. Make a sylvari/human and go with a condi spec to get the best of it. You end up doing a ton of damage, and being super tanky.

No offense, I can see the point you are making, but I really hate those comments.
The TL;DR of those comments is always “If you want to play a real ranger, play the warrior.”

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

A ranger to me is somebody who knows their way around their surroundings in less mapped out areas, and are adept at handling the many obstacles you can typically meet such as dangerous paths, fending off adversaries, finding landmarks or the whereabouts of beings etc. I think a simple weapon choice has extremely little to do with that role, except that there are a few types more likely to be lowmaintenance and frequently used enough for such a person to usually carry, like a spear, axe, dagger or bow.

From the LotR stuff I think there are many you could classify as rangers – I would certainly say Legolas fits the bill in addition to his obvious expertise with a bow. But I do wonder if it wasn’t there they got the spark for Torch offhand and rangers, given Aragorn’s use! It’s a very useful item for a wayfarer, and I’m really happy with a-net to have included less orthodox weapons in this game.

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

I wonder where the Strider in Strider’s Defense came from? I don’t think it was the Ninja…

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

No offense, I can see the point you are making, but I really hate those comments.
The TL;DR of those comments is always “If you want to play a real ranger, play the warrior.”

I wasn’t saying “if you want to play a real ranger, play a warrior”. What he gave as a description of what he was looking for is what I was replying to.

Look at what he actually said. No pets, he even directly mentioned a warriors adrenaline bar. To me it just sounds like what he was looking for was a warrior using a lb sw/sw or a lb/gs something along those lines. While I do play warrior more than anything else I happen to also like my ranger a great deal. If I were to give a description of it though it wouldn’t be like a warrior. To be fair I wouldn’t know how to describe my ranger, because I don’t feel they really have a direction. They feel like a warrior with lower armor, and less health. If I could change anything about GW2 it would be to make every profession have the same base health. Then let players spec/gear determine everything else. Having some professions with half the health of others was just silly in my opinion.

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: Mogrey.3891

Mogrey.3891

the ranger class in rpg games like dnd itself was inspired by aragorn

i’m a poor and lonesome ranger.
Mogrey Norn Ranger [DS]

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Actually, literature started well before the 1940s. References date the Robin Hood story to the 14th century. Oddly, about the same time as the first hand held pistol was made in China. Those didn’t become functional until the 19th century. For 400 years, the main weapons used were what a GW@ Ranger uses now, excluding a rifle.

Many “sword and sorcery’s” books, fantasy’s and even some heroic epics dealt with what is now, somebodies ideal of what a GW2 Ranger should be.

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Mogrey.3891

anyway ranger class has nothing to do with range at all.if you have played older rpg games rangers are warriors wearing medium armor and are good with survival and trap skills.they also have pets in some of them if not every single one.

Mogrey Norn Ranger [DS]

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Husanak.3769

I mentioned the warriors bar as a way of describing a mechanic that existed in Lotro.

In lotro the Ranger had a Focus bar… it was honestly very much like the warrior bar. In that you filled it with attacks which let you pull off better abilites.

Yes I know that the warrior does encompass some of that play style. The ranger in Lotro was much different then a warrior though. They had stealth, they setup traps… they also had the focus bar. They where a much more tactical class to play then a raging sword swinger. (Lotro had that class to it was simply the Champion)

I am not completely against the idea of pets either… I am just not sure it should have been a class defining mechanic.

The way I described it with weapons imparting F1-F4 skills that you could use when you built “focus” (things like hide in plain sight “actual in combat stealth” Traps ect)… the could have rolled pets into that system. They could have for instance been attached to a warhorn Which would give you F3 attack and F4 Recall. The warhorn could have had no dmg on it at all and been 2 pure buff skills. This would have offset the added dps gained by the pet calls. It also would have let us quickly swap from a pet weapon to a petless wepaon. Quickly going for instance from a Axe Warhorn (mid range pet dmg)… to perhaps a Sword / Dagger with tricks and stealth attacked.

Perhaps it would have been a night mare to try and balance… and we would have always been OP or Under powered.

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Looking at the pet I’d say GW rangers are more like LotR Radagast :p

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Mogrey.3891

i enjoyed lotro hunters.was a ranger class.ofc rangers in other games had pets in lotro wasn’t that class (cause all we know how rangers were in middle earth)
gw2 on the other hand is totally different game.already having the thief class they couldn’t have another stealth class.so from the typical ranger style we left only the traps

the pets are having a bad time cause of the AI.and not only pets but necro’s minions are suffering the same fate.you can say ofc that sometimes pets are legendary cause of the down state skill 3

Mogrey Norn Ranger [DS]

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Husanak.3769

Yes the down state… makes me feel like Gandalf whispering in something ear… save me.

Wait…. lol

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Thieves in GW2 are also very nimble fighters and can use bows. Just a thought.

But the way Legolas put his bow first definately reminds me of ranger in GW2

… but then hes kind of OP like a warrior so…

Good movie.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

If you made a ranger because of “bow” and “range” then you did it wrong. This class is more then two single weapons. It is more then one function. The ranger can be compared to a swiss army knife, or a leatherman. You really only wanted that knife, or that plier. But it offers you so much more in addition to this. Sometimes, i think people who play just because of “range” and “bow” should have just bough a knife and a plier, instead of doing what they did.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Watching the Hobbit

in Ranger

Posted by: ApplePearOrange.9281

ApplePearOrange.9281

I think a simple weapon choice has extremely little to do with that role, except that there are a few types more likely to be lowmaintenance and frequently used enough for such a person to usually carry, like a spear, axe, dagger or bow.

To add on, note that all those weapons also double as tools/survival equipment which helps play into the tracker/outdoorsman archetype.