We are in need of a 3rd main hand weapon

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

I would like to start off with a statement that Ranger weapons are almost well defined in their roles , with a need for a few more tweaks in balance .
But honestly i find it rather odd that we have only 2 main hand weapons yet 4 off hand weapons . Furthermore , there is one role that is clearly missing with all weapons , and that is a stun,CC, control one .

So i am here to suggest a couple ideas that came to mind :

MAIN HAND TORCH
-I know, it sounds a bit silly , but why not ? Considering ranger is in fact a druid of sorts, or a semi-magi if you will , I think it could be pretty cool to give him some fire-bending abilities .

1 Auto attack chain – Flaming Whip * – The ranger attacks at 450-600 range . The first and second attacks could perhaps inflict 1 stack of vulnerability . The 3rd attack of the chain would be an AOE whirl , not a finisher , like a 360 degree swing that inflicts 1-1.5 seconds of burning to enemies as well as doing moderate damage

2 – Dragons cloak * – The ranger creates a cloak giving himself protection and vigor for 3-4 seconds and giving the pet Aegis . 20 second cooldown

3 – Updraft * – The ranger creates an updraft at the targeted AOE if 120-180 tossing enemies into the air causing a 1 second knockback and 2 second daze upon landing . Cooldown 35 seconds

MAIN HAND DAGGER

-One suggestion i have seen is the dagger one . Makes sense , it is fairly simple and pretty cool… Why should the thief be the only one with the ninja feel to him :p

1 Auto attack chain * – melee auto attack chain that does damage and inflicts 1 bleed for 2-3 seconds for the first 2 strikes . The 3rd strike gives fury to the pet for 3 seconds .

2 Primal Leap – 600 range leap that inflicts 2-3 stacks of torment for 5 seconds

3 Fan of Knives – Throw daggers in an area around the ranger inflicting blind and cripple for a few seconds .

What do you think ? do you think the ideas are ok to start off a brainstorming session ?
Do you think the ranger needs a new main hand or not ?? Like pie or popcorn ?? Watever…

in Ranger

Posted by: Pendleton.6385

Pendleton.6385

Both of those are nice. I like your daggers ideas the best.

Personally, I want a main hand spear and off hand shield. It would fit the ranger/ warden lore …

Tarnished Coast
~ Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Skady.5916

Skady.5916

Yes we are in a dire need of mainhand weapon.

p.s. please dont touch sword to avoid all that tpvp drama

A man of knowledge lives by acting, not by thinking about acting.
-Carlos Castaneda
Skady Valda

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

Keep in mind that anet likes to keep the first to fifth skill attained by weapons combinations in increase order of cooldowns so that first is shortest and fifth is longest.

I would like to see staff as a melee AoE weapon that hits max 5 opponents.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bakabaka.6185

Bakabaka.6185

Personally, I want a main hand spear and off hand shield. It would fit the ranger/ warden lore …

agreed

in Ranger

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Spear.

15char

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

(^Spear isn’t a 1 handed option and this isn’t the Diablo2 Amazon)

I’m very hesitant towards Dual Dagger because it was a real problem in GW1 where Expertise was concerned (which has since then been given to Thieves instead which in turn got their own Dagger “cheese” nerfed hard too).

But yes…. mainhand torch. We need it … been saying this for a while now.

in Ranger

Daecollo.9578

(^Spear isn’t a 1 handed option and this isn’t the Diablo2 Amazon)

I’m very hesitant towards Dual Dagger because it was a real problem in GW1 where Expertise was concerned (which has since then been given to Thieves instead which in turn got their own Dagger “cheese” nerfed hard too).

But yes…. mainhand torch. We need it … been saying this for a while now.

Yes, I am attuned with nature.

THROWS TORCHES EVERYWHERE BURNING DOWN EVERYTHING AHAHAHAHAH

in Ranger

Posted by: darkchicken.8692

darkchicken.8692

Spear.

15char

if they give spear as a weapon to the ranger, i am never doing another alt again.

Seriously the spears is used in every culture as a weapon of choice(just like the sword), it is an iconic weapon for hunters of all sort, cavalry, footmen etc.

But in guildwars 2 we get torches and warhorn. I mean i can understand the warhorn but i find the torch such a lackluster weapon in term of look and coolness.

i want ma spear!

in Ranger

Posted by: darkchicken.8692

darkchicken.8692

MAIN HAND DAGGER

-One suggestion i have seen is the dagger one . Makes sense , it is fairly simple and pretty cool… Why should the thief be the only one with the ninja feel to him :p

1 Auto attack chain * – melee auto attack chain that does damage and inflicts 1 bleed for 2-3 seconds for the first 2 strikes . The 3rd strike gives fury to the pet for 3 seconds .

2 Primal Leap – 600 range leap that inflicts 2-3 stacks of torment for 5 seconds

3 Fan of Knives – Throw daggers in an area around the ranger inflicting blind and cripple for a few seconds .

really like your idea, thats all i say.

I wont really give more ideas because i suck at balance and what i would suggest would probably be OP.

Love the one you suggest though, would use it.

in Ranger

Posted by: JorneMormel.9850

JorneMormel.9850

I still think our current mainhand axe should have been a mainhand dagger.

“…ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!”

Throwing axes that bounce does not fit. “If Chewbacca lives on on Endor, you must acquit.”

By actually making daggers (with the current skillset for MH axe) a thrown weapon you open up the option of using a new one handed melee weapon: the axe.

Mysterious Old Geek
Co-founder of Flying Pink Unicorns [PWNY], Ring of Fire

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

For the dagger, I’d rather the cripple be on the leap, and the torment be on the Fan of Knives, but that’s a personal preference.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: Anthrage.2519

Anthrage.2519

This is a very interesting subject. Having looked at the other classes, while some have less, others have the same or more, so it wouldn’t be out of line if we were to get 1 more mainhand weapon. I assume we’re talking about 1-handed mainhand – in such a case, other than Dagger and Torch already mentioned, a Whip might be interesting.

It would be a hybrid melee and range weapon, half-way between the current Sword and Axe, and could have some currently inaccessible finishers. It also, my apologies to PETA, goes well with the Beastmaster or Pet theme, and could have secondary effects which buff the pet with Fury for example….graphically it could be pretty cool as well.

AND, one of it’s skills could a pull as the last power in it’s chain, which would be good as in some cases you don’t want to use the pull – such as Axe 4 – but don’t want to loose the damage of the attack itself. I see it is a nice platform for some interesting stuff.

Oh, and there was a Whip in the Super Adventure Box, so it’s not too far fetched…

Ranger Anthrage Stormrider – Sanguine Wild Guild [SW]
sPvP BuildWvW Build
Tarnished Coast Server- Anthrage Stormrider on Youtube

(edited by Anthrage.2519)

in Ranger

Posted by: hyjaxxx.1584

hyjaxxx.1584

All i can say is WHIP! its already in the game along with animations. We would just need some skills….and i would use a whip in a heart beat! and it would be an amazing CC weapon.

attack #1- 3 step attack Lash,Slash,Flash Lash-strait damage Slash-Damage/Bleed Flash- Damage/Blind

attack #2 timed Strike- an attack to the legs causing a 2 sec immob/2 sec cripple plus light damage

attack #3 Blazing Defense- 2 quick lashes at the ground around you 1 second KD, Creates a smoke field

EDIT-just saw someone above me said whip while i was typing! great idea on the pull…for the first attack , rather then my blind the pull would be even better!

Whoajaxx the Ranger
Re-Port331,331R,DD331,Re-portV
Currently looking for wvw guild@henge

in Ranger

Chokolata.1870

Well i did mention that the main hand torch would act as a whip… a flaming whip !!! :p

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

i want hammer! anybody who played gw1 remember bunny thumper build
btw sword offhand and torch main would be interesting.
i want to swing my dual fiery dragon sword!

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

warriors swim in heavy armor… why not use spear above water?

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Ranger

hyjaxxx.1584

all i know is that if they end up giving us the torch as a main hand weapon….we better get some sexy smoke fields. also the ability to light bunnies on fire and kick them at the enemy would be pretty stellar..

lol ive become obsessed over rangers getting a smoke field. the things we could do with it would be really amazing for our groups.

the bunny thing was just a joke….or was it!

Whoajaxx the Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

I’d love a new mainhand. I cant say I really like either of our current options (I’m not saying they are bad, I have used both extensively and still do because I know they’re good, I just dont really like how either of them plays).

Axe is just so… meh. Ranged but needs to be in melee range to be good and auto is annoying bad except for spam tagging. Sword #2 and #3 and pretty fun but I just cant get over the #1 no matter what how I look at it.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

yes, that would indeed be awesome.

Or IF nothing else. a Javelin. A throwing spear, slow “refire” but heavy damage. Would be able to give us close range heavy DPS ranged (3-600 range max).

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: met.9653

met.9653

Pls give us something, anything that works NORMAL on main hand. I refusse to play that root animation shi* call sword.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I’d like to see a main hand dagger for ranger that has a few unblockable attacks in the chain IE Fox Fangs, a poison IE Falling Spider, and a KD IE Trampling Ox

GW1 players would get it lol

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

Here’s a 1-handed spear for you. I started a ranger thinking I was going to be able to use a spear on land heh

in Ranger

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

I also think we need a 1hand cc weapon and mace fits that

Auto 3 chain attack
Body blow
Hit their body for damage
Hit it again for damage
Hit their heart causing internal bleeding. 2 stacks for 2 seconded

Lunge
12 second cd
Leap at foe 600 range and hit them stunning for 1 second

smash his head
15 sec cd
Swing mace at his head to interrupt him and cause 2 stacks of confusion for 4 seconds

(edited by rpfohr.7048)

in Ranger

Posted by: Pendleton.6385

Pendleton.6385

Spears could be a one handed weapon. In history, there were one handed spears.

However, I’m basing this off of book lore … and not real life … sense GW2 is hardly real life. We don’t have large cats walking around in suits of armor.

Fantasy/ lore example: Tolkien had rangers/ wardens with spears and shields that roamed the wilderness.

Heck, there’s a loading screen in this game that shows a guy with a one handed spear and shield.

I want a ranger with a spear and shield. My only worry is that if it happened I would play this game way too much.

Tarnished Coast
~ Ranger

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

I’d like to see a main hand dagger for ranger that has a few unblockable attacks in the chain IE Fox Fangs, a poison IE Falling Spider, and a KD IE Trampling Ox

my only issue with a 1h dagger is; how does it fit into the role of a man used to live in the wild?

It is not a hunting weapon, and rangers aren’t supposed to be masters of assassination. So i just don’t see it fit into ranger play.

Torch mainhand would work, but unless we get atleast ONE combo field, be it fire, smoke or light, i consider it to be a “no no”.
However, torch could potentially give us both fire, smoke and light field in one weapon. However i am worried that giving us easy access to a field + blast finisher at any time, considering how many fields we got already, would be borderline OP in PvP settings.

Fact is that rangers are amazingly strong as is. Far stronger then people are willing to believe. This makes it hard to “buff” the class without thinking.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

my only issue with a 1h dagger is; how does it fit into the role of a man used to live in the wild?

It is not a hunting weapon, and rangers aren’t supposed to be masters of assassination. So i just don’t see it fit into ranger play.

Torch mainhand would work, but unless we get atleast ONE combo field, be it fire, smoke or light, i consider it to be a “no no”.
However, torch could potentially give us both fire, smoke and light field in one weapon. However i am worried that giving us easy access to a field + blast finisher at any time, considering how many fields we got already, would be borderline OP in PvP settings.

Fact is that rangers are amazingly strong as is. Far stronger then people are willing to believe. This makes it hard to “buff” the class without thinking.

Seriously? A dagger is a perfect survival weapon due to how many uses a knife provides you, it can be used to sharpen, cut, dig, etc etc, just because you wield it in a more assassin (I was thinking animalistic myself) way in combat doesn’t make it a poor survival weapon.

And instead of mainland torch I’d just say go ahead and give us a scepter instead, especially seeing as how your torch suggestions are blatantly magic infused, there’d be no way scepter wouldn’t work in its place as well as giving some more variety in the theme of it, IE make it bend more than just fire.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

Really guy? This is a fake video game, I was showing an example of a 1-handed spear. Short spears have been one handed weapons since the bronze ages (IRL).

in Ranger

hyjaxxx.1584

you know, they have amphibious pets…why not amphibious weapons?

Although the only weapon i want to see on the ranger is the Whip..it would be hands down, the most awesome looking weapon in the game. Then i could Make another Asura Ranger named Dr. Jones!

Whoajaxx the Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Searban.5984

Searban.5984

Although the only weapon i want to see on the ranger is the Whip..it would be hands down, the most awesome looking weapon in the game. Then i could Make another Asura Ranger named Dr. Jones!

One major reason Anet may not want to make amphibious weapons is the fact that giving something like that to the ranger would set up a precedence. And then they would have to do the same with underwater weapons of all other classes. They may not consider whole thing worth the effort, sadly.

But as far as pole weapons go, I would prefer to see pole axes over spears. Would make it more interesting.

As for the whip, I can support this idea only if it comes with a skill that allows you to swing from one place to another using some environmental elements. Although that would probably be OP in jumping puzzles… ;p

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

One major reason Anet may not want to make amphibious weapons is the fact that giving something like that to the ranger would set up a precedence. And then they would have to do the same with underwater weapons of all other classes. They may not consider whole thing worth the effort, sadly.

But as far as pole weapons go, I would prefer to see pole axes over spears. Would make it more interesting.

As for the whip, I can support this idea only if it comes with a skill that allows you to swing from one place to another using some environmental elements. Although that would probably be OP in jumping puzzles… ;p

They’ve already said that they want to expand on underwater weapon selection but not until they get an UW utility and elite variation for every skill on every prof (this was said back near launch) so it wouldn’t be out of the question.

in Ranger

Posted by: jalmari.3906

jalmari.3906

dagger would probably overlap with 1h sword too much, unless they do all weapons to all slots for all classes stunt. 1h sword already is pretty much like assassin jumping around style ninjathing.

all classes need spear. SPEAR.

spearspearspearspear.

and pistols.

Guardian 80 Necromancer 80 Ranger 80 Mesmer 80 Elementalist 80 Warrior 80

in Ranger

Posted by: SisiXuan.4178

SisiXuan.4178

How about mace? No?
No one like mace.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sieg.8439

Sieg.8439

Here’s a 1-handed spear for you. I started a ranger thinking I was going to be able to use a spear on land heh

Did you really just bring up the Troy as an argument in discussion about melee weapons?

It doesn’t invalidate the point that 1H spears aren’t outlandish in the slightest. Javelin, spear, whatever you want to call it. Pointed stick. Calling it a javelin would probably help differentiate it from the underwater weapon. Either way, I think it would be a fantastic addition.

What we should really be afraid of is the day when fresh fruit becomes an available weapon…

Hoopa doopa.

(edited by Sieg.8439)

in Ranger

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

All Anet needs to do is buff the axe to make it not kitten. Give Ricochet some token effect (1s Fury or 3s Swiftness or something equally useless) and make it so it can also bounce to allies (with a guaranteed bounce back to an enemy, i.e. won’t bounce to two allies). Then reduce the aftercast by about .2 seconds so its overall rate of fire is about once every .9s and you have a good weapon. The guaranteed double-bounce plus the increased attack speed would put the weapon at just slightly below the sword in terms of DPS, which would also be a solution to all the griping about swords rooting people in PvE.

in Ranger

hyjaxxx.1584

Also something ive been thinking about, for sword auto attack, if all 3 steps hit the same target it grants 3 seconds of stability….we really need some stability up in here!

Whoajaxx the Ranger

in Ranger

Chokolata.1870

Honestly, they could just change the bear trait to give stability to group on swap . There, bears are much more viable now :p

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Whip would be nice, only if it provided heavy cleave DPS. It would also be nice if it could be used to choke people XD

in Ranger

Chokolata.1870

Lasso pull crowd control skill… oh drooool

in Ranger

Posted by: Pilarz.3028

Pilarz.3028

and what you think about gunblade?
http://imgur.com/a/IKqHv

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

and what you think about gunblade?
http://imgur.com/a/IKqHv

too much of a direct rip-off from japanese games.

in Ranger

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

Spear.

15char

If ranger is designed to be a woodsman hunter then spear (as a land-based 2H) is a logical choice. Given that Anet intend to add new types of weapon soonish, i would really hope spear is one of them. Warrior might get it too. It makes sense.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aeri.5738

Aeri.5738

I hope you guys realize, that spear or whip or lightsaber and all that stuff is never going to happen.
We are talking about giving the ranger 1 additional mainhand weapon.
A new weapon would require complete rebalance of the game. Not gonna happen.
An already existing weapon on the other hand, coul possibly be added (although unlikely, too)
I would prefer Dagger.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2.” – Well, I guess you really failed, ANet!
Update 5.9.2013: getting better ANet, still way to go!
A Lannister always pays his debts – For everyone else, there’s Mastercard.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fordel.3208

Fordel.3208

I kinda just want to replace the current GS attacks with a 2h Spear. Like keep all the same numbers, just a cosmetic change. I always found the rangers GreatSword animations a little bit goofy.

We sorta already have half the 2h animations ready with the underwater Spear stuff, but I honestly have no idea how much animation work it would take to make it work on land too.

in Ranger

Posted by: DargorV.8571

DargorV.8571

Knowing Anet they’ll simply recycle an existing weapon for rangers.

Expect something like pistol, dagger or rifle

in Ranger

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I want a hammer and staff and trident. Mainhand dagger would be cool.

NSPride <3

in Ranger

Daecollo.9578

Spear.

15char

If ranger is designed to be a woodsman hunter then spear (as a land-based 2H) is a logical choice. Given that Anet intend to add new types of weapon soonish, i would really hope spear is one of them. Warrior might get it too. It makes sense.

I would like Ranger to have the “Indian.” type spear style, whilst Warriors have the “Dragoon.” Warrior-ish style.

in Ranger

Posted by: JorneMormel.9850

JorneMormel.9850

How realistic is it to discuss weapons that have to be introduced the game first? For example the spear discussion; we have spears ingame. They are 2 handed underwater weapons.
How does that relate to a main hand weapon for ranger? If it were to be made a land weapon that would mean some serious design changes first. Point being; please keep this on topic. Discussing if more weapon types should be implemented would fit more in a different thread I think.

As for main hand weapons; we currently have the Sword, Axe, Dagger, Scepter, Pistol, Mace. Of that list I think only the Sword, Axe and Dagger suits the ranger.

Personally I think throwing daggers instead of throwing axes makes a lot more sense.
As does causing bleeding by throwing a lot of daggers at a person (current axe skill 2) and the axe would definately suit the ranger as a melee weapon.

As for the role of a third main handed weapon? More control and utility would be nice in the form of a blast finishing melee attack, boon denial for the old NR Tranq nostalgia and some type of movement to suit the weapon’s playstyle. What do you guys think?

Mysterious Old Geek
Co-founder of Flying Pink Unicorns [PWNY], Ring of Fire

in Ranger

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Frankly, Ranger’d be fine if ANet finally unroots the bloody Sword chain. C’mon, guys … yer wrecking my S/D Murder Ballet, here. Other than that, I’d have to support the calls for (eventual) MH Whip or Torch. Both could provide interesting Combo Field/Finisher setups if done right.
Let alone the option of Staff for more of a “Nature Magic” bit. Could come with AoE damage/CC sets. Theme it around plant metaphors.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

(edited by Advent.6193)

in Ranger

Posted by: Red Jay.2516

Red Jay.2516

I don’t we’ll ever see main hand torch. Come on, dual wielding two flaming sticks? It’s ridiculous. Whip I could see being introduced in some “expansion” as a new weapon choice for professions (Ranger, Thief and Ele perhaps?). But not mainhand torch, no.

As for me, the next logical choice for Ranger weapon that could be included in future patch is dagger. It could have a poison or smoke field, along with leap finisher, somewhere in its skill rotation, which would give us some new toys to play with. What Ranger misses is an AoE condition melee weapon, something which this profession is lacking right now. I think dagger could be that weapon.