What I learned after being a Ranger in sPvP

in Ranger

Posted by: Aeri.5738

Aeri.5738

Q:

Since Beta I almost only played my Ranger in sPvP.
No Spirit or BM nobrainer builds, mostly Powerbuilds and sometimes trapper or rampager builds.

Starting with BWE3 Ranger recieved nerf over nerf, resulting in a class that is cornered into 1 (!!!) viale Build – Spiritranger.
This build is so braindead easy, that it’s no fun (for me) to play it.
As other builds are not viable at all and in most cases can’t stand it’s ground in 1v1 situations, Ranger became very unattractive for me.

Last Weekend I finally tryed my Warrior, Guardian and Mesmer in tPvP and it was a real joy.
Not only are the capable of defending themselves while dealing tons of damage themselves, they also have several builds that are actually viable.

As a Guardian I played Bunker and GS-Power builds.
As a Warrior I played Hammer/Mace+Shield CC or Longbow Condi or GS/Mase+Shield burst.
As a Mesmer I played Phantasm and Shatterbuilds.

All of these classes offered diversity and highly effecive builds. The classmechanics are working as intended without any exception.
Even the freaking Phantasms of the Mesmer not only hit properly, but also dished out crazy amounts of damage.

In comparison with Ranger:
The Bad:
1) Buggy Pet
2) Low direct Damage (even lower than other Power builds, -> Mesmer Warrior Guardian)
3) Low Pet Damage
4) Horrible survivability (if not BM or Spirit Ranger, but as I said I dont like those)

The Good:
1) Skills look cool!
2) You can give your Pets a name!

All I want to say:
Ranger is in no way a bad sPvP class, since Spirit Rangers are highly effective and easy to learn while offering huge group support.
For those who don’t like that particular build: there is nothing a Ranger can offer in sPvP.
ANet nerfed the Ranger to a Point, where we are cornerd into 1 build.
This is not fun, build diversity is.
The classes I tried this weekend were very fun to play, but most fun was trying different build and having a chance and a purpose in every single match I played.
I didn’t “rock hard” or “facerolled”, but I played decently and had fun.
Something I am missing for sPvP Rangers since the game released.

So my question to ANet is:
As you realized that Pets did to much damage and a BM nerf was needed, why didn’t you fix or buff other builds in the same turn?
Didn’t you realize the effect the changes had on the Ranger?

PS: PvE Ranger still untouchable, best class ever. A lot if fun there.
PPS: LB Ranger in WvW a good amount of fun too, no complaints here either

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2.” – Well, I guess you really failed, ANet!
Update 5.9.2013: getting better ANet, still way to go!
A Lannister always pays his debts – For everyone else, there’s Mastercard.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

The real problem is that we cant provide the support other Classes can.We depend so much on traiting skills to make em good…Spirits without 30 traits are useless,shouts can provide support again with a trait in 30 and Signets (even tho they are not helping the team at all) they need 30 points to take from them the 100%..

Mesmers dont need to trait Glamour Mastery to take Portal,its a great skill even without it..But even if someone wants to take it he must invest 10 trait points.

But i cant say how you add more support in Ranger without making him OP in PvE..Its coming down to not being able to completly separate pvp from pve..Even tho they made them completly different games

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

The real problem is that we cant provide the support other Classes can.We depend so much on traiting skills to make em good…Spirits without 30 traits are useless,shouts can provide support again with a trait in 30 and Signets (even tho they are not helping the team at all) they need 30 points to take from them the 100%..

Mesmers dont need to trait Glamour Mastery to take Portal,its a great skill even without it..But even if someone wants to take it he must invest 10 trait points.

But i cant say how you add more support in Ranger without making him OP in PvE..Its coming down to not being able to completly separate pvp from pve..Even tho they made them completly different games

Simple, give us a trait revamp that’ll allow more of our pet stuff to effect the group, one idea I saw was make Companions Might a master trait and have it apply to your pet and a small AoE around you (interesting, not sure if I like it)

And you know… Allowing our utilities to be real skills BEFORE we invest 30 kittening points into them…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: thrice.9184

thrice.9184

Starting with BWE3 Ranger recieved nerf over nerf, resulting in a class that is cornered into 1 (!!!) viale Build – Spiritranger.

Last Weekend I finally tryed my Warrior, Guardian and Mesmer in tPvP and it was a real joy.
Not only are the capable of defending themselves while dealing tons of damage themselves, they also have several builds that are actually viable.

In comparison with Ranger:
The Bad:
1) Buggy Pet
2) Low direct Damage (even lower than other Power builds, -> Mesmer Warrior Guardian)
3) Low Pet Damage
4) Horrible survivability (if not BM or Spirit Ranger, but as I said I dont like those)

For those who don’t like that particular build: there is nothing a Ranger can offer in sPvP.
ANet nerfed the Ranger to a Point, where we are cornerd into 1 build.
This is not fun, build diversity is.
The classes I tried this weekend were very fun to play, but most fun was trying different build and having a chance and a purpose in every single match I played.
I didn’t “rock hard” or “facerolled”, but I played decently and had fun.
Something I am missing for sPvP Rangers since the game released.

Cut out all the extra not needed +1 to these.

Working as intending assumptions don’t go well with me.

Ranger put into Retirement due to Anet Abuse.
9/3/13 rip

in Ranger

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

Shouts give room for improvement..Need to take a more supportive road..Support mustnt monopilizing in spirits..Must be split in Shouts and Spirits,take some of the effects of both and combined em.
Ideas:
Protect me instead of absorbing all dmg,will absord 50% of the dmg taken.with apropriate cd and duration
Sick em will make the pet leap to the target and knock down the surrounding enemies exept the target one..No dmg or movement increase
Guard will is gonna be Guard…The pet gives aoe protection and stealthing allies for 3 sec.
Search and Rescue:if the Ranger is reviving someone pet will reflects projectiles and dmg nearby foes..Something like Whirling Defense.If the Ranger isnt reviving someone will just heal allies in a small aoe

I know thats hard to be done..Just some ideas

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Shouts give room for improvement..Need to take a more supportive road..Support mustnt monopilizing in spirits..Must be split in Shouts and Spirits,take some of the effects of both and combined em.
Ideas:
Protect me instead of absorbing all dmg,will absord 50% of the dmg taken.with apropriate cd and duration
Sick em will make the pet leap to the target and knock down the surrounding enemies exept the target one..No dmg or movement increase
Guard will is gonna be Guard…The pet gives aoe protection and stealthing allies for 3 sec.
Search and Rescue:if the Ranger is reviving someone pet will reflects projectiles and dmg nearby foes..Something like Whirling Defense.If the Ranger isnt reviving someone will just heal allies in a small aoe

I know thats hard to be done..Just some ideas

Switch Search and Rescue and Guard around. That will work better.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Ranger

Posted by: Kjeldoran.3849

Kjeldoran.3849

wow how you learned so many things about ranger? really? the only thing i learned is that the skill required is really high and that i can kill almost every enemy… i don’t think you have played ranger in the right way. I don’t think you have played ranger with the right build… i don’t even think you have player ranger as a ranger but as a guardia and/or warrior… ranger isn’t a warrior nor a guardian but can kill both ^^

If you still think that ranger isn’t enough go for an OP condition build but i told you this as a power build player

in Ranger

Posted by: Aeri.5738

Aeri.5738

i don’t think you have played ranger in the right way. I don’t think you have played ranger with the right build… i don’t even think you have player ranger as a ranger but as a guardia and/or warrior… ranger isn’t a warrior nor a guardian but can kill both ^^

yeeeeaaaaah… no.
Ofc, there are alos inferior players you can beat easily as a power ranger, but anybody who knows what hes doing will easily counter your weaknesses.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2.” – Well, I guess you really failed, ANet!
Update 5.9.2013: getting better ANet, still way to go!
A Lannister always pays his debts – For everyone else, there’s Mastercard.

in Ranger

Posted by: KOK.2650

KOK.2650

What I learned after playing a Ranger in spvp?
Class is unbalanced, if you want to win, roll a warrior, Guardian.

wow how you learned so many things about ranger? really? the only thing i learned is that the skill required is really high and that i can kill almost every enemy… i don’t think you have played ranger in the right way. I don’t think you have played ranger with the right build… i don’t even think you have player ranger as a ranger but as a guardia and/or warrior… ranger isn’t a warrior nor a guardian but can kill both ^^

If you still think that ranger isn’t enough go for an OP condition build but i told you this as a power build player

I killed a warrior without adding a single point and no rune in armor (forgot to add them). I am sure every ranger in spvp has his days.

Kok -lvl 80 warrior Tsukoyu-lvl 80 elementalist
Ayumu-lvl 80 Necromancer
Tsu-lvl 80 thief

(edited by KOK.2650)