What do you like about your ranger?

in Ranger

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

Q:

What do you like about rangers? What makes you come back to it? In which situations do you choose it over another profession? What would you not want to see changed?

I like

• the reactive gameplay, that weapons have built in defense/offense on demand,
  • that in PvE, I can switch aggro with the pet,
  • in WvW, that I can take camps and towers alone,
  • my water fields and my control in zergs,
  • the support I can give when the spirits and the pet don’t die…
  • to stop thieves from stelthing, particularly when we swipe a structure (WvW)
  • I like the defensive/offensive on-demand abilities (SB#3, GS#4)…

(might consolidate answers in CDI at a later time)

(edited by Jocksy.3415)

in Ranger

Posted by: misterdevious.6482

misterdevious.6482

A:

I like

• having a profession mechanic that I get to customize.
  • having a wide range of game mechanics to choose from, being a jack of all trades.
  • having widely varied playstyles… melee tank, beastmaster, or pew-pew spirit support
  • the mobile active melee combat.
  • that I can take camps, towers, champions, and some dungeons alone.
  • strategic thinking. (pet tanking & blocking projectiles, trap & spirit placement, cooperation)

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

I just really like the mobile gameplay with the weapons abilities. It’s the most fun I have on any toon.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wolf Legacy.3791

Wolf Legacy.3791

I like my bear
And I like my bow
Enough said

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

I like the general feel of the profession. A lot of the skills feel really fun to use (even if impractical or inefficient in PvE).

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Ranger

Posted by: The Spiral King.2483

The Spiral King.2483

I want to be an archer. Anet doesn’t want me to be an archer. Plus I like the challenge that comes from playing as a full zerk power ranger. I laugh when I see glass cannon eles complaining about survivability.

in Ranger

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

I am epic with the sword. Visually at least

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The weapon skills are so friggen cool. If anet did anything right with GW2, it’s making the ranger weapon skills friggen cool. Most of the other professions have boring weapon skills.

I do like dagger eles and melee thieves for the same reason (although I miss back in beta when death blossom was still used by anyone ever.)

I randomly hopped on a guardian in PvP today and absolutely SUCKED because I forgot there was such a thing as dodging in the game. So used to the movement on ranger and to a lesser extent ele and thief.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

What do you like about rangers? The class icon.
What makes you come back to it? To store/retrieve goods when the bank is full.
In which situations do you choose it over another profession? To store/retrieve goods when the bank is full.
What would you not want to see changed? The class icon.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I don’t understand why you’re constantly on the ranger forum posting about how much you hate them. It gets really old.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

There’s no hate. I like the class icon.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: luckyny.7468

luckyny.7468

I like the fact I had an easier time in getting through PvE with my ranger then I did with my necromancer, mesmer, and warrior.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

I like the fact that we don’t have a mechanism that is overly abused and make the class to simple to play. Spirit ranger are close but the build in general is ok at best.

Ranger have to create opportunities with skillful play rather than using one skill to win.

We have just about everything the other classes have just not an absurd amount of it. Like stealth, fear or kd and immobilize .

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: gpassucc.5961

gpassucc.5961

I actually fought a ranger the other day on my guard (medi dps) in spvp that used sb/lb and wolf/krytan hound and was a real PITK (pain in the kitten lolol) to fight, it appeared they were using a signet build with +dmg on stun/interrupt. The constant knockback from LB and stun from SB was actually pretty effective, coupled with the innate cc canines have. Pretty fun running into decent rangers (besides crossfire pew pew spirit rangers).

This took ages to get in wow but once pets got passive AoE damage reduction this vastly improved the viability of pet-dependent specs, might be something to think about anet.

[EG] – SoR – Persies Sunreaver (war),
Persiës Sunreaver (ele), Persiës (ranger),
Gromphe Baenre (necro), Përsies (guard)

in Ranger

Posted by: gpassucc.5961

gpassucc.5961

I want to be an archer. Anet doesn’t want me to be an archer. Plus I like the challenge that comes from playing as a full zerk power ranger. I laugh when I see glass cannon eles complaining about survivability.

Just an fyi, a true glass cannon ele is the squishiest class in the game, no contest. I have played a zerker power ranger and it is much more survivable than a true glass ele build (by comparison). Glass cannon eles can burst you down extremely fast if they get their burst off but they pretty much die if you sneeze on them.

[EG] – SoR – Persies Sunreaver (war),
Persiës Sunreaver (ele), Persiës (ranger),
Gromphe Baenre (necro), Përsies (guard)

in Ranger

Posted by: wmtyrance.3571

wmtyrance.3571

I like everything about the Ranger class. I like all my pets and i like how i crit every other hit. My first max lvl character in any mmo i’ve played. I grab aggro so much that tanks hate to group with me. When i was lvl 67 i asked for help with a champion mob and a lvl 80 Necro. showed up to help. Even with all his pets out i kept aggro and would have to stop shooting so he could retake it. Its the most fun character i’ve ever made. I am death with a longbow at max range.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

The descreption.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

I had a focus on 3 things when made my main:
Effective use of GreatSword, a good Bow or Pistols, and agile way of fighting.
By the time its clear that I’ve should been made a Warrior.
A Warrior? Yes… You may noticed, but I’ll tell you:
ARCHERS IN THE GAME ARE ALL WARRIORS OMG
So ArenaNet knew by scratch that Ranger’s won’t be the unparalled archers.
Can’t belive it? Me neither, but just look around…

So then, GS isn’t bad, LongBow is useable for the skilled, and the animations aren’t bad, just feel bit powerless. More hack’n’slash would be nice.
Above that, amongst many other guy here, I don’t like the look of these medium armors, because they look Light, and high amount of the Heavy ones are the real Mediums.

CDI is still up, we’ll see where it leads…

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Ranger

Posted by: MasterKitty.8205

MasterKitty.8205

I alway saw rangers as one of those things ‘Jack of all trades, but master of none’.

That said, I love how hard they are to play if you REALLY want to pull out their maximum. How you’re playing for 2, you AND your pet.

To make it clear, the forum has always been and always will be negative to rangers, but in my eyes they are not near to underpowered.
People need to learn to control their pets before they just go out judging the class.

Playing rangers has made me nervous sometimes, going out, playing a mesmer or something, but in the end, there’s just something about these green fellas that draws you in ^^

Ranger for life

in Ranger

Posted by: Fomby.4295

Fomby.4295

Well, the armor looks good, (some of it…)

The uh… Umm… The 1v1 potential is good. But you should still lose to a good Mesmer/Theif/Warrior so it’s not like it’s super powered and those classes all have good or decent AoE damage, which the ranger does not have.

I’m liking the damage over time aspect less and less. The idea is good, but it doesn’t seem to fit into the game very well. Too many options to disengage by a lot of classes or sustain through your damage and heal back up.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Kal Snow – Norn Guardian

in Ranger

Posted by: law.9410

law.9410

because watching my s/d lightning reflex ranger fly across the screen makes other classes seem boring

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

I don’t want powerful AOEs, I want burst damages. Real pressure on those who’re tanky but still doing sama damages as we do with dicey berserker builds…
But it is still important to make some weapon AOE, since LOOT.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Ranger

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

Consolidated in CDI, Thanks all!

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

What do you like about rangers? What makes you come back to it? In which situations do you choose it over another profession? What would you not want to see changed?

I like

• the reactive gameplay, that weapons have built in defense/offense on demand,
  • that in PvE, I can switch aggro with the pet,
  • in WvW, that I can take camps and towers alone,
  • my water fields and my control in zergs,
  • the support I can give when the spirits and the pet don’t die…
  • to stop thieves from stelthing, particularly when we swipe a structure (WvW)
  • I like the defensive/offensive on-demand abilities (SB#3, GS#4)…

(might consolidate answers in CDI at a later time)

PvE – Not much can take me down and I don’t use a Spirit build.

The rest of the game is lacking – and the broken mechanics don’t help when the damage isn’t there in the first place.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

because watching my s/d lightning reflex ranger fly across the screen makes other classes seem boring

This. This so many times. Every other class is just so drab to me because of how acrobatic Ranger play is.

And my wolf, Buster.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

These are the things that initially drew me to the class back at head-start.

- pet ally
- large variety of pets
- longbow/shortbow
- spirits
- lots of evasion and skirmish/guerilla style combat

Eventually, I realized that, while all of the above are true, some of them are lacking. If they can perfect the above “likes” I’ll come back to my ranger full time.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Ranger

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I really like archer classes, I’ve always been more drawn to mage/caster classes but secondly it’s archers
Yes, there are some things in ranger that needs a fixin but it’s not debilitating
I love my black bear & raven, even my red moa who I named Bill Murray.

in Ranger

Posted by: Medens.4960

Medens.4960

I like how the name “Ranger” reminds me of the good old times back in GW2 with my ranger who had 26 titles.

in Ranger

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

I like killing people that don’t expect to be killed by a Ranger. “Look it’s just Rang..” dead.

in Ranger

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

The fact I can name my raven Draven The Raven.
That I can use a longbow with 25% mobility and shoot arrows instead of fireballs.

That’s everything. Otherwise I hate the class/forced pet dynamic, lack of damage, you get the picture.

in Ranger

Posted by: MasterKitty.8205

MasterKitty.8205

I like killing people that don’t expect to be killed by a Ranger. “Look it’s just Rang..” dead.

this

In WvW, as a ranger roamer, it’s amazing how many people fall to you because they thought you would be an easy kill.
It’s that what seperates the old and the new roamers – how much are they aware of us.

turns to pet
Come, my Doge, let’s go kill us some warriors.

in Ranger

Posted by: KeyOrion.9506

KeyOrion.9506

I like my Kittah. And Kittah likes poptarts.

When I’m cute, I can be cute. But when I’m mean, I can be very very mean.