What do you think druid is going to get?

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

That’s a good point runeblade. I hadn’t thought about it like that. That could be quite interesting.

I’m still somewhat doubtful that we’ll get that though unless part of being Druid is that we get locked into one weaponset like engineers as that is part of the trade-off they make for having access to kits.

That being said … they do also have toolbelt skills … so who knows. Fun to think about

That is a sacrifice i’d be willing to make for transformations

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

That is a sacrifice i’d be willing to make for transformations

Me too. I love swapping kits on my Engineer. I hardly ever don’t have 3 kits as my utilities when I’m on my Engineer; so much versatility.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Engineer kits is pretty much transformation without the cosmetic change.

If Druids get transformation while using Utility skills, it will be as useful as kits.

Nope. Kits are like weapons or bundles. Actual Anet transformations I’m referring to are the crap that is Tornado, Norn animal forms, and Avatar of Melandru. The only ones that are justified (imo) are the ones Necro have.

Thus, why I don’t want to see a transformation of any kind from Anet with the Druid class, since it might end up being a complete novelty and no where as useful as Engineer “bindles.”

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

(edited by Wondrouswall.7169)

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

Oh Wonderous … when solo roaming … Leopard is invaluable for when that speedy zerg is chasing you … or when you want to kill that darn Elementalist/Thief/Nike-Warrior that you just finished working so hard to kill when they decided to try to reset the fight.

Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

That’s the thing though, transformations have limited usefulness and only in certain modes/situations. In concerns for having a use in all modes, transformations so far lack that utility. Expectations for Anet making an awesome druid transformation is nonexistent due to what they’ve come up with so far.

Also, my Rangers are human and sylvari, no bear form charging or leopard stealth for me :P

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

Well, Wondrous, I’ll tell you the same thing I tell all the darn tiny Mesmers as well … that (not being Norn) was your first mistake ;-)

I do agree that it is more niche than other elites. Though I could argue that Rage As One and Entangle were as well … especially given that some classes very easily counter Entangle with a utility or even a weapon skill in some cases.

Better yourself.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

True, but the one thing that really irks me about the way Anet does transformations is that the player loses their heal and utility skills. I know it’s designed to be a trade-off, but the transformation (imo) has to be at least decent enough if I choose to remain in it.

Also, the one time I did play a Norn, I felt like a huge target in PvP rooms filled with Asura >_>

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

@Wondrouswall:
What’s wrong with being the target. That’s just more love for you. It puts hair on your chest

It also helps your less-skilled partners who play Asura try to benefit from their tiny size while you dwarf them.

Imagine trying to track my Asura teammates when fighting against my Norn Mesmer :-)

Better yourself.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Not making my ranger a born was my greatest mistake =(

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Ahhh…
Huh…

About two-ish weeks ago, my guild noticed while doing the Ghost Wolf Guild Rush we could simply use the spacebar to Jump on top of things when previously we had to use the leap skill. And it’s not a bug, there’s a bonafide animation for it.

Might be totally unrelated, but this whole transformation discussion has me wondering if some telling code snippets might’ve been integrated. Has anybody else whose run the other Guild Rushes that features transforming into a Ranger Pet Animal noticed the ability to jump (devourer, spider, maybe baby polar bear)?

More on topic:
I agree adding a transformation skill-type to druid is both thematically appropriate and also kinda’ disappointing as they’re just…not…quite there yet.

One thing I’ve really enjoyed in other games is when Transformation in some way altered your actual game engine physical characteristics.

Moving faster, jumping higher, bigger hit-box/bigger reach, carrying other players, flying. That’s the kind of stuff that makes me delighted to play a shape-shifter, not new skill #237. As a more positionally-based game they’ve got real opportunity to capitalize on this sort of thing, and seemingly no real interest to.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

one question guys : If the druid specialization isn’ t great…will you buy the expansion?

I still very much enjoy the game overall, so yes. I’ll buy even if the druid is lackluster. And no, I don’t want druid to be a transforming class.

Norn and necro has that covered.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

Not making my ranger a born was my greatest mistake =(

Yep … one I’m always happy to throw in your face … which is about level with my norn’s butt :-p

Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dex.7092

Dex.7092

Not gonna lie, if druid’s “thing” was shapeshifting abilities that worked like engineer’s kits, I would be in heaven. (Bonus points if they were mirrors of our pets, letting us confuse enemies like mesmer’s clones! Which animal is the druid?!)

… Buuuuttt, it’s very improbable. Much as I miss my WoW druid’s ability to be a tank one moment, a DPS cat the next, then swoop away as a bird, I’ve never really had hope GW2 would ever have anything similar.

I do have some hope that it’ll be something with interesting mechanics—possibly mesmer glamours, that use natural ‘mirage’ magic to confuse foes.

Now that it’s confirmed guardians are getting traps, the “musical chairs” game of ability types makes me fairly certain we’ll get something from one of the light armor classes, though, as I find it really hard to believe warriors, thieves, or engineers would get an ability type involving magic.

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

Well, if we assume that Wells and Traps are out of the picture … what does that leave us from the list of abilities? :-p

I’m right there with you loving Druid. Was a WoW Druid myself … so versatile!

Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Well, if we assume that Wells and Traps are out of the picture … what does that leave us from the list of abilities? :-p

I’d argue shouts, signets, and ranger spirits are out of the picture too.

Stances, Mantras, and Meditations are still my go to predictions.

One of the medium armor professions is getting stances. I would put money on it lol.

Maybe elixirs? Nature potions or some such.

I hope it isn’t any summons or conjures, those are the things I’m against haha.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

One of the medium armor professions is getting stances. I would put money on it lol.

If conjures turn me into an animal i’ll be more than willing to take conjures xD

More realistically i’d be willing to be Concecrations will be the utility we get, meditations would be… weird.

You have to keep in mind Anet already said that druid will be specializing around aoe control and support, so it’d likely be a utility type that would give us those 2 things we lack so heavily.

in Ranger

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

The best possible outcome of the Druid specialization for me for be:

1. Shapeshift “Kits”: Avian, Feline, Canine, etc
2. Staff as a support weapon with a Healing 5 skill, and an AoE based auto attack

What I imagine it will be:

1. Gain a new F5 skill based on your active pet (Ranger executes this skill, not the pet).
2. Staff is a soft cc weapon with minimal condition pressure and long animations.

Ranger//Necro

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

If conjures turn me into an animal i’ll be more than willing to take conjures xD

More realistically i’d be willing to be Concecrations will be the utility we get, meditations would be… weird.

You have to keep in mind Anet already said that druid will be specializing around aoe control and support, so it’d likely be a utility type that would give us those 2 things we lack so heavily.

Yeah but the overall theme/idea of the word consecrate derives from such a “holy” background that it would take a lot of “fudging” to even make the theme of consecrations work with any sort of iteration of a druid.

Just on a base theme level, it would be a difference between spiritual (druid) and religious/holy (guardian, paladin).

I mean, I don’t think that it’s an impossibility, it would just be a liberally applied definition of the word “consecrate,” where as a Druid, I can totally see “meditating and becoming one with nature.”

Not to mention Meditations are already partially PBAoE, so it isn’t as though they couldn’t be molded into more AoE style functions. Dunno, it’s an interesting thought/conversation.

in Ranger

Posted by: Elendur.9342

Elendur.9342

Nobody commented on that, does anyone see the staff skills + pet happening similarly to elementalists changing elements?
Like, you have a set of skills on your staff when you have a canine pet, then you swap to a bird and those skills change… That could make the staff a very versatile weapon for a druid, even if we can only alternate between two pets in combat…

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

playing my WoW druid is still the most memorable and fun time ive had in online games. I generally go out of my way to play any games that have the druid in them =)

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in Ranger

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

Ok, call me crazy, but:

What about glyphs?
The thing is, it’s hard to find a place for glyphs, as they depend on the elementalist’s class mechanic. The whole trick about glyphs is, that they have a different effect depending on the current attunement of the elementalist.

So how to make glyphs work?
Glad, you asked: Glyphs do their thing and grant an extra effect, which depends on the currently selected pet. For example, a selected dog causes the glyph to apply large scale cripple, a selected moa will daze and a selected bird causes blindness, etc.

That was probably the worst possible example, but I think, it explains enough.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aerathnor.8305

Aerathnor.8305

Ok, call me crazy, but:

What about glyphs?
The thing is, it’s hard to find a place for glyphs, as they depend on the elementalist’s class mechanic. The whole trick about glyphs is, that they have a different effect depending on the current attunement of the elementalist.

So how to make glyphs work?
Glad, you asked: Glyphs do their thing and grant an extra effect, which depends on the currently selected pet. For example, a selected dog causes the glyph to apply large scale cripple, a selected moa will daze and a selected bird causes blindness, etc.

That was probably the worst possible example, but I think, it explains enough.

I know these are just ideas, but glyphs suck for Ele’s and each one has four possible functions while ranger glyphs would be reduced to two depending on what pets you choose.

I just don’t trust them to not make them useless like the ele glyphs are.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Yeah but the overall theme/idea of the word consecrate derives from such a “holy” background that it would take a lot of “fudging” to even make the theme of consecrations work with any sort of iteration of a druid.

Just on a base theme level, it would be a difference between spiritual (druid) and religious/holy (guardian, paladin).

I mean, I don’t think that it’s an impossibility, it would just be a liberally applied definition of the word “consecrate,” where as a Druid, I can totally see “meditating and becoming one with nature.”

Not to mention Meditations are already partially PBAoE, so it isn’t as though they couldn’t be molded into more AoE style functions. Dunno, it’s an interesting thought/conversation.

Well seeing as how Druids in every fantasy setting, including GW, religiously worship nature/deities that influence/control nature, it wouldn’t be a stretch by any means.

Not to mention that a consecration only means to make an area or item sacred, which you could very easily do as a druid by reverting it to a primal/natural state.

PS: There’s technically no “holy” magic in GW anyway.

(edited by Durzlla.6295)

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

I agree with Durzlla’s post on “consecration”.

Consecration is the solemn dedication to a special purpose or service, usually religious. The word consecration literally means “association with the sacred”. Persons, places, or things can be consecrated, and the term is used in various ways by different groups. A synonym for to consecrate is to sanctify; a distinct antonym is to desecrate.

So let’s go through it:

• Druids in other lore have held Nature to be sacred
  • Druid in other lore have spoken of the sanctity of nature

Heck, look at some of the dialogue/lore in Warcraft (RTS and MMO) with their Druids.

Better yourself.

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

I guess, but the most typical association is one of the holy church and with religion. I mean, I very much agree that it could be done with a Nature theme with Druids, but why when GW2 already has more than enough skill types that could be stretched to cover the idea of being “attuned to nature.”

Actually, that’s the thing I’m struggling with the most, that I just don’t like the idea of a Druid “wielding” nature or being an “envoy” of nature.
Druids in my mind should be more attuned with nature, able to channel and focus natures “magical” properties. The idea that instead you’re swinging nature around forcefully and directing it and controlling it (which is what I feel like a consecration is, the act of you making something sacred as opposed to utilizing a natural magical presence that already exists because you are one with nature) just really doesn’t hit home for me.

I want to be one with the forest, able to channel the natural magical properties of nature. I don’t like the idea of just having the power to throw the nature around at people, it seems to me that the whole idea of being in tune with nature just gets lost at that point.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

playing my WoW druid is still the most memorable and fun time ive had in online games. I generally go out of my way to play any games that have the druid in them =)

Druid was my favorite class in WoW too. I had both a boomkin and a feral druid at max level. When I started playing GW2 I went for the elementalist hoping for a similar playstyle, but it isn’t the same. I wanted to change attunements to benefit the situation, not because I ran out of cooldowns and had to swap immediately or die. Rangers don’t quite scratch that itch either, but at least it has the nature theme down as well as the animal companion you’d get as a DnD druid.

As for the discussion about consecrations, they fit the druid theme perfectly. Druids in both fantasy and actual history are religious figures who revere nature and are known to be closely tied to sacred spaces like meadows and glades. These can be described as consecrated grounds that the druids use as places of worship.

Shoot, druids in DnD had Hallow and Unhallow which allowed the druid to determine if a place was or was not holy.

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Meh, I still don’t like the idea that the druid can decide what is and isn’t sacred.

Still, I guess I have to factually accept that it’s an existing design, even if I would prefer the theme of just channeling and focusing the power of nature to literally just full on wielding it like that.

But oh well. I won’t be upset with what they end up being named. As long as their are no summons/conjures and what we get isn’t lackluster.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Meh, I still don’t like the idea that the druid can decide what is and isn’t sacred.

Still, I guess I have to factually accept that it’s an existing design, even if I would prefer the theme of just channeling and focusing the power of nature to literally just full on wielding it like that.

But oh well. I won’t be upset with what they end up being named. As long as their are no summons/conjures and what we get isn’t lackluster.

What if we get conjured weapons that allow us to summon minions that lay down consecrations when activated?

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

one question guys : If the druid specialization isn’ t great…will you buy the expansion?

every elite spec needs to be great other wise people wont buy it. Look at Chronomancer, huge game changing features, expect the same for every elite spec.

Well, you might want to go tell that to Guardians.

Unless Druid really means ‘Paragon with a staff’, then I will be very amused by the rage that comes this way from our holy archer friends.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

When you really get right down to it, there’s not a whole lot that separates the likes of Null Field/Purging Flames/Symbol of Swiftness/SmokeScreen.

If persistent pulsing circular AOE that helps allies/inhibits foes and is also a combo field is your pleasure, but the theme of Consecration doesn’t seem quite right…it’s not like you’re hurting for other options.

Personally, I kind of don’t think that’ll be Druid’s schtick.
It seem a bit close to Chronomancer’s Wells, because they added the ‘beneficial to allies’ part that Wells were (largely) natively missing.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

in Ranger

Posted by: ThanatosAngel.8024

ThanatosAngel.8024

I’m with those who think Druids will get Consecrations. As a matter of fact, I’ll take it even further and suggest that Healing Spring might even get re-branded as a Druid’s Consecration healing skill.

Which leads me to my next point: Healing Spring could get replaced entirely as a Core skill with something else, maybe a new healing signet.

A bit of a stretch, but it could happen.

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

ThanatosAngel, that is a good idea where Healing Spring is a Consecration, but I don’t think that is going to happen if you look at how they are doing each Elite Specialization

• You can only use the new skill type if you take the elite specialization
  • Healing Spring is a base heal not tied to an elite specialization

So, unless they are going to give us a new heal to replace healing spring with as one of our base heals, I doubt healing spring will have the same skill type as whatever our new skills are going to be.

Better yourself.

in Ranger

ThanatosAngel.8024

ThanatosAngel, that is a good idea where Healing Spring is a Consecration, but I don’t think that is going to happen if you look at how they are doing each Elite Specialization

• You can only use the new skill type if you take the elite specialization
  • Healing Spring is a base heal not tied to an elite specialization

So, unless they are going to give us a new heal to replace healing spring with as one of our base heals, I doubt healing spring will have the same skill type as whatever our new skills are going to be.

That’s what I’m saying. Have Healing Spring replaced with a new heal skill, and then Healing Spring is added again later as a part of the Druid, as a Consecration.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

No thanks. HS as a trap is far better. HS is a core skill for Ranger.

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Depends on whether or not Spring as a trap needs to actually be triggered or not. If it DOES need triggering, then it pretty much solidifies me never running it again. Especially with how good Wilderness Knowledge is. I already run Troll, LR, and Entangle on virtually every build, so with the new trait that will be 3 active survival skills that give fury, have reduced cooldowns, and cleanse, a 4th passive, and it makes a Remorseless build a super logical choice, at least for PvP (Lead the Wind will be more go to in WvW I think).

Gotta just hope the new utility family and associated heal skill we get is interesting.

in Ranger

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

Well they gave Guardians traps, which was a bit random but their name kind of justifies and they gave Mesmers wells, which was even more random.

I’m thinking something more out of line, like Thanatos said, maybe consecrations? or even cantrips lol

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

in Ranger

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

If they follow the current trend with specialisations, it will be something Elementalists currently have.

Mesmers got necro stuff, Guardians got ranger stuff, Necros are most likely getting warrior stuff… so yeah…

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Yeah, I’m hoping HS just gets the skill type and not a trigger. Would ruin it then, imo. Unless it is a charge skill, so you hold 6 down to ‘set’ it or just press 6 once for normal usage. That could be cool then.

WK is very strong which also kinda sucks because I’ll only ever want to play with Survival after the change. It is just so good with a full bar and Remorseless, as you said.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Taking the instant activation away from HS would be a terrible nerf to it, and I really don’t want to see that.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

ThanatosAngel.8024

No thanks. HS as a trap is far better. HS is a core skill for Ranger.

I actually quite agree. And I considered the trap HS thing too, even though it doesn’t really fit. HS makes even more sense as a Consecration since it essentially already is one.

What ANet has shown us thus far however, is that they’re not afraid to completely change the way certain skills work. Look at the Tomes on Guardian for an example of that. One is being turned into a signet while the other is a shout. And yet they’ve already promised a return of tomes in a later expansion.

And while I’d miss Healing Spring as a core skill, there’s no telling that a replacement skill would be just as good if not better. Probably not, but hey…

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

It would have to be pretty amazing to compare to HS in it’s current form, lets examine it.

It heals you and your pet for 5k (whether or not the pet is inside the area), as well as allies within a 240 radius, the initial heal scales 1:1 with healing power. It lays down a 10s water field that can be blasted for 1320 health + 20% of healing power or leapt for 1300 + 50% of healing power, multiple times to heal allies in the area. If you and your allies stay in the area of effect, it will grant 18s of regen to everyone and remove 30 conditions and you can trait it to give vigor too.

Pretty great. HS was a trap in GW1, but it did not need a trigger, it was just an AoE trap-like heal-over-time. Hopefully it stays the same here, except if, like I mentioned they make it a charge skill and holding down 6 will ‘set’ it, but you still get normal functionality by only pressing 6 momentarily.

If anything I’m hoping we get a signet, but since we already have those, I doubt it will happen. I also doubt they will change HS to a {specialisation heal}, since it is core.

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Just my guess but… Flower power?

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Pretty much what I was thinking. I hope HS gets the trap category but functions the same was as it does now.

in Ranger

Posted by: numberbb.8724

numberbb.8724

huh, yeah. ranger + staff ( Septer+Focus )= Touch ranger or Trapper.

in Ranger

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

If they follow the current trend with specialisations, it will be something Elementalists currently have.

Mesmers got necro stuff, Guardians got ranger stuff, Necros are most likely getting warrior stuff… so yeah…

this is my guess too. nature & elemental magic would mesh pretty well.

downed state is bad for PVP

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I don’t see particularly why it would be Ele, why not Mesmer?

Although, a R/E would be nice. Opens up a lot of options from GW1 skills, such as Storm Chaser; You gain endurance everytime you take elemental damage. I wish.