What is the best way to remove conditions

in Ranger

Posted by: Alex Behemoth.4952

Alex Behemoth.4952

I’m new to Ranger and I main Mesmer. One problem that I faced is that of condition removal. I’m used to be able to remove conditions instantly and I think that is very important to survival as conditions can take your life out in an instant or make you incapable of fighting. So how do you guys deal with conditions.

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

I’m new to Ranger and I main Mesmer.

Welcome to ranger!

So how do you guys deal with conditions.

We complain to Anet to give us more active condition removal.

Seriously.

Yes, seriously.

Right now your choices are pretty limited.

• Healing Spring (removes a condition on everyone inside each pulse – 6 pulses in all) is the obvious one, but leaves you vulnerable for 20/30 sec. It is the only reliable active condition removal rangers get.
  • Signet of Renewal is the other active – removes a condition every 10 sec, active pulls all nearby conditions to your pet (60 sec cooldown). But your pet has to be alive and in range for the active to work.
  • Empathic Bond – grandmaster wilderness survival trait which transfers 3 conditions to your pet every 10 sec. This is slated to be “fixed” so it no longer works if the pet is dead.
  • Brown Bear F2 – pulls 2 conditions from everyone nearby. Again, the pet has to be alive and in range for it to work.
  • Spirit of Nature – elite that can clear nearby conditions. Mostly used to revive allies, but can be used to clear conditions in a pinch.
  • Evasive Purity – a trait which removes poison and blind upon dodge. Yeah, nobody cares about those.

You probably haven’t heard of the following because nobody except ranger has to resort to them to remove conditions:

• If your character is human, Prayer to Kormir will remove 3 conditions. Most of my characters are human, and ranger is the only one I’ve ever used this skill on. Because active condition removal on ranger sucks.
  • Again if human, Avatar of Melandru (elite) can remove conditions. among other things.
  • 6 runes of the soldier will remove a condition on a shout.
  • 6 runes of Lyssa will remove conditions when using an elite.
  • Sigil of purity can remove a condition, 10 sec cooldown
  • Sigil of generosity has a chance to transfer a condition to target, 10 sec cooldown
  • Various poultry soups have a chance to remove a condition (100% for the most expensive one)
  • A medical kit consumable you can buy can give you an antidote which clears a condition.

Feast or famine. 10 sec you have the best condition removal in the game (Healing Spring – even works on AOEs which reapply conditions). The next 20 sec you have the worst.

(edited by Solandri.9640)

in Ranger

Posted by: Coarr.3286

Coarr.3286

-40% condition duration buff food can help a little

10 sec you have the best condition removal in the game (Healing Spring – even works on AOEs which reapply conditions). The next 20 sec you have the worst.

strongest condition remove is shadows embrace
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadow%27s_Embrace

[care] Coarr Ix – Ranger
Kodash
Stomp some Piken!

(edited by Coarr.3286)

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

I’m new to Ranger and I main Mesmer.

Welcome to ranger!

So how do you guys deal with conditions.

We complain to Anet to give us more active condition removal.

Seriously.

Yes, seriously.

Right now your choices are pretty limited.

• Healing Spring (removes a condition on everyone inside each pulse – 6 pulses in all) is the obvious one, but leaves you vulnerable for 20/30 sec. It is the only reliable active condition removal rangers get.
  • Signet of Renewal is the other active – removes a condition every 10 sec, active pulls all nearby conditions to your pet (60 sec cooldown). But your pet has to be alive and in range for the active to work.
    * Empathic Bond – grandmaster wilderness survival trait which transfers 3 conditions to your pet every 10 sec. This is slated to be “fixed” so it no longer works if the pet is dead.
  • Brown Bear F2 – pulls 2 conditions from everyone nearby. Again, the pet has to be alive and in range for it to work.
  • Spirit of Nature – elite that can clear nearby conditions. Mostly used to revive allies, but can be used to clear conditions in a pinch.
  • Evasive Purity – a trait which removes poison and blind upon dodge. Yeah, nobody cares about those.

You probably haven’t heard of the following because nobody except ranger has to resort to them to remove conditions:
* If your character is human, Prayer to Kormir will remove 3 conditions. Most of my characters are human, and ranger is the only one I’ve ever used this skill on. Because active condition removal on ranger sucks.
* Again if human, Avatar of Melandru (elite) can remove conditions. among other things.

• 6 runes of the soldier will remove a condition on a shout.
  • 6 runes of Lyssa will remove conditions when using an elite.
  • Sigil of purity can remove a condition, 10 sec cooldown
  • Sigil of generosity has a chance to transfer a condition to target, 10 sec cooldown
  • Various poultry soups have a chance to remove a condition (100% for the most expensive one)
  • A medical kit consumable you can buy can give you an antidote which clears a condition.

Feast or famine. 10 sec you have the best condition removal in the game (Healing Spring – even works on AOEs which reapply conditions). The next 20 sec you have the worst.

removed some of the useless/completely horrible ones. The human ones ain’t directly useless, but the CD’s does not warrant the effect.

Your most reliable way of removing condies, on demand, is brown bear and shouts + soliders runes.
If you do not use shouts or a brown bear, lemongrass + melandru runes or runes of lyssa will be your only choice.
Personally, i do not care about conditions, mostly because they do not pose too much of a problem to me with the builds i run in WvW. Most builds in WvW does not run high enough condition damage/duration to melt me faster then i can heal (shouts FTW)

Also, most players that run condition builds do so on condition classes, like necros, mesmers, thieves and engineers. Some try to roll warrior or condi guard, and while they are decent condi bunkers, they do not even come close to the real condi professions when they wanna bunker down.
A good tip is to apply lots of pressure. The more you push them, the less time they get to apply/reapply stacks. In some cases, like bomb engi or trap ranger, you seriously do NOT wanna push. It will backfire on you, almost immediately.

Also, either i am just way too skilled, or people in general just suck, the latter is more likely. So most people think that as long as they roll a “meta” profession, they will be good. Therefore, when facing “Meta condi professions”, especially in a power build, just go at them. Swing your greatsword/sword/axe around, CC and burst them (those saying we don’t have any real burst are lieing, we do have them, but only 3).
Necros, thieves, mesmers and engineers will in most cases back down or try to run if they realize that they will die too fast.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

10 sec you have the best condition removal in the game (Healing Spring – even works on AOEs which reapply conditions). The next 20 sec you have the worst.

That’s a single condition removal to one person every 3 seconds max. The condition removal from that is more consistent, but if you’re comparing the 10 seconds when Healing Spring is down to 10 seconds when a thief is stealthing as much as possible for this, then Healing Spring still blows is away without requiring a sub-optimal trait investment that’s sub-optimal outside of WvW.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Some rangers don’t like Empathic Bond because they think it kills your pet. I haven’t found that to be the case at all. Typically I use a shout regen build when using the trait, so between the pet being invisible, having permanent regen on it, sitting in a Healing Spring/having Troll Unguent on it, and the fact that swapping pets clears all condis from the pet, it never dies.

For what it’s worth, EB is in the current PvP meta build.

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

If you read the above you should have a decent idea of how to have condition removal on a ranger, in my opinion condition removal is alright, but it definitely could be better. Depending on what kind of ranger you play you will get better results for condi removal, but the most solid way to avoid the damage is to have decent healing power paired with decent condition removal, and reduced condition duration on you.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

The difference, though, is that while a thief can remove conditions more frequently in SE, he can’t attack without risking keeping a harmful condition. You’re free to attack, and if you’ve got greatsword, swoop acts as 2 leap finishers for extra healing, warhorn 5 is a blast finisher, and monarch’s leap is also a leap. Have all 4 and your survivability skyrockets all while being able to simultaneously attack within your field.

in Ranger

Posted by: Detharos.3157

Detharos.3157

I’m new to Ranger and I main Mesmer. One problem that I faced is that of condition removal. I’m used to be able to remove conditions instantly and I think that is very important to survival as conditions can take your life out in an instant or make you incapable of fighting. So how do you guys deal with conditions.

My suggestion is to look for alternatives to using Healing Spring. While it offers great condition removal, its requirement of you to be relatively stationary can and will hinder you.

IMO the best counter-condition build for ranger is an empathetic bond equipped Regeneration Soldier rune shouts build and Heal as One(traited for vigor on heal). Trait for blind and poison removal on roll. Take Guard, Protect me and signet of the wild for utility skills and put on enough healing power to at least buff the signet to the 100 hp/s mark If this is in a WvW setting roll with mango pie for food. It’s cheap and incredibly effective. You also trait for reduced shout cooldown in beast mastery and you effectively gain a 12 second cooldown condition cleanse that offers permanent regeneration and swiftness when trained correctly in addition to the even more valuable effects of drastically buffing your pet’s survivability with pretty much permanent protection, regeneration and frequent stealth. If you roll a relatively tanky pet like drake, it enables you to easily match any condition user in 1v1 combat as long as you time your evades wisely and active defenses wisely. As long as you always swap before your pet dies it will easily tank well enough in most cases for you to make full 100% use of protect me and empathetic bond. Again, so long as you get all the timings right.

As for why heal on one, it’s much better at dealing with large burst damage dealt by physical damage than Troll Unguent when you do encounter it and much more well rounded when you are already equipped with ample regeneration and active defense. Every 20 seconds you can proc vigor which is vital to evasion rates.

This however, is in respect to small scale encounters. Just about any pet has serious challenges without using passive setting in zerg-scale combat.

Dathaul, 80 Melee Ranger
Ferguson’s Crossing server.

(edited by Detharos.3157)

in Ranger

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

Dying seems to do the trick for me.

in Ranger

Posted by: MrSilver.5269

MrSilver.5269

I just finished my ranger today so I don’t claim to be anywhere near an expert on the profession. although I do have one of each profession at 80.

That said, from what little I’ve seen the ranger is particularly susceptible to condition damage as compared to all other professions.

Hopefully it will be addressed in future patches.

And btw, great info in this thread.

But I’m trying, Ringo. I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

I kinda like Prayer to Kormir, as it is straightforward and does not kill off the pet in the process. I basically run with antitoxin runes, soup, and prayer for my condition removal at the moment.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Some rangers don’t like Empathic Bond because they think it kills your pet. I haven’t found that to be the case at all. Typically I use a shout regen build when using the trait, so between the pet being invisible, having permanent regen on it, sitting in a Healing Spring/having Troll Unguent on it, and the fact that swapping pets clears all condis from the pet, it never dies.

For what it’s worth, EB is in the current PvP meta build.

It’s not that it kills the pet, it’s that it makes your pet into nothing more than a condi dump because if a pet gets crippled or chilled it’s never gonna hit the target again, and if you’ve got any points into actually utilizing your pet, those points have become worthless.

EB is a horrible trait that’s only “meta” because “meta” in GW2 stands for “I can play this build and be mentally handicap and perform well.” Instead of “this build is superior to others due to what it brings.”

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

I like EB, but it is the primary reason I run spiders now-a-days. I much prefer a dual wolf setup, but since I use EB and Traveler runes (so my pets get no speed boost anymore) I cant really justify using melee pets, because they are waay to unreliable in that state.

Spiders are nice because they bypass most of the problems.. by being ranged they dont need to move much, so they speed isnt important. And they also have extremely high vitality, meaning they can survive the conditions very well.

So anyway.. If you want to use EB, spiders are a great choice for you.

EB is the only condi removal I run on my builds, and the way I survive conditions really is patience. If you come up against a condition build (typically engis and necros are the ones to look out for) dont be a fool and run head first in and take their full condition bomb to the face, because you will lose. Typcially keeping your distance is the best defence (why I like the SB, it gives me that option), because engis depend on getting up close and glue+bomb+grenading you to death, but at mid-long range they actually cant do much. Avoid their pull, sidestep those slow moving grenade and they really have nothing on you.

Where was I going with this… Oh yeah.. Learning exactly how your opponents will try to apply coniditions will allow you to prevent them from doing it, thus allowing you to get by with less removal. Proactive play > Reactive play

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Cufufalating.8479)

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I like EB, but it is the primary reason I run spiders now-a-days. I much prefer a dual wolf setup, but since I use EB and Traveler runes (so my pets get no speed boost anymore) I cant really justify using melee pets, because they are waay to unreliable in that state.

Spiders are nice because they bypass most of the problems.. by being ranged they dont need to move much, so they speed isnt important. And they also have extremely high vitality, meaning they can survive the conditions very well.

So anyway.. If you want to use EB, spiders are a great choice for you.

EB is the only condi removal I run on my builds, and the way I survive conditions really is patience. If you come up against a condition build (typically engis and necros are the ones to look out for) dont be a fool and run head first in and take their full condition bomb to the face, because you will lose. Typcially keeping your distance is the best defence (why I like the SB, it gives me that option), because engis depend on getting up close and glue+bomb+grenading you to death, but at mid-long range they actually cant do much. Avoid their pull, sidestep those slow moving grenade and they really have nothing on you.

Where was I going with this… Oh yeah.. Learning exactly how your opponents will try to apply coniditions will allow you to prevent them from doing it, thus allowing you to get by with less removal. Proactive play > Reactive play

Bears (especially the brown bear) are also VERY good pets for EB, they might not deal a lot of damage, but they can very easily soak up the condis and if you’ve got a brown bear you can effectively remove 5 conditions from yourself (EB proc + Shake it Off Roar), and it also allows you to use Protect Me! and gives you a nice bullet sponge.

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

Cant say I ever really got into bears, but I am sure you’re right. Since the primary use of bears isnt to do damage they also wont be so effected by their inability to reach the target, and extreme cleanses from the brown bear can only be a good thing.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Cant say I ever really got into bears, but I am sure you’re right. Since the primary use of bears isnt to do damage they also wont be so effected by their inability to reach the target, and extreme cleanses from the brown bear can only be a good thing.

bears also has Defy pain, so when you trigger Protect me, in most cases the bear goes “DOES NOT HURT!!! TRY HARDER” and uses its own damage mitigation.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

I find that on crit sigil (i use generosity) healing spring and signet of restoration to be enough, some condi bomb necros give me grief.

sigil of generosity/purity and the passive of signet of restoration seem to be enough to remove “incidental” type condition during a fight (bleeds, poison, Tormanet) and HS and SoR active are handy for getting rid of the on demand type problems immob, chills etc.

in Ranger

Posted by: DiamondMeteor.8345

DiamondMeteor.8345

For being disciples of Melandru, it’s awkward to see that condition resilience hasn’t come around the Rangers’ corner yet…

Ranger / Revenant – Crystal Desert

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

It’s not that it kills the pet, it’s that it makes your pet into nothing more than a condi dump because if a pet gets crippled or chilled it’s never gonna hit the target again, and if you’ve got any points into actually utilizing your pet, those points have become worthless.

EB is a horrible trait that’s only “meta” because “meta” in GW2 stands for “I can play this build and be mentally handicap and perform well.” Instead of “this build is superior to others due to what it brings.”

If I’m running a guard build, I’m using a spider, so cripple and chill do nothing to the pet. Also, worst case scenario and your pet is useless or even dead.. better that than me being useless or dead. If you don’t like it, don’t use it, but EB is a solid trait that should be considered by anyone.

in Ranger

Posted by: urdriel.8496

urdriel.8496

On demand cleanse >>>>>>>>>Random cleanse.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Shouts + Soliders Runes
Signet of Renewal
Brown Bear
Healing Spring
Sigil of Purity
Sigil of Generosity
Bowl of Saffron-scented Poultry Soup

The choice is your’s, you got many, so there is no reason to complain about “lacking” or “subpar” removal.

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

Signet of Renewal
Brown Bear
Healing Spring

The choice is your’s, you got many, so there is no reason to complain about “lacking” or “subpar” removal.

Healing spring is a cleanse over time.
If you use bear, well…….

Signet of renewal. Passive: each 10 secs.
Active: 60 secs

we have empathic bond too , 3 condis each 10 secs.

we have 2 ( with bear) On demand Active cleanses.

Shouts + soldiers or sigils or Bowl of Saffron-scented Poultry Soup, are not class skills/utilities…..

(edited by urdriel.8496)

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Shouts are limited to Warrior guard and ranger. NO OTHER CLASS has them. So it is pretty much a class skill/utility since it is NOT a game wide “type of skills” but a restricted type of skills.

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

Shouts are limited to Warrior guard and ranger. NO OTHER CLASS has them. So it is pretty much a class skill/utility since it is NOT a game wide “type of skills” but a restricted type of skills.

But you need a rune, any class can use runes , you cant cleanse conditions only with your owns shouts.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

any class can use them, only 3 can get the utility they provide. This it IS class related, and not a “global” effect.

An engie, ele, necro, thief or mesmer CAN NOT get the shout effect. It is 100% Guard, warrior and ranger only.

And given the short CD of guard (12 secs when traited) along with the regen, you actually, along with maybe a sigil of generosity or purity you can keep conditions in check.

I am not saying rangers couldn’t use some more active cleanses, i am saying we got many options to use. Who cares if they are specific to the profession or not. You take what you have at your disposal and make due with it.

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

any class can use them, only 3 can get the utility they provide. This it IS class related, and not a “global” effect.

An engie, ele, necro, thief or mesmer CAN NOT get the shout effect. It is 100% Guard, warrior and ranger only.

And given the short CD of guard (12 secs when traited) along with the regen, you actually, along with maybe a sigil of generosity or purity you can keep conditions in check.

I am not saying rangers couldn’t use some more active cleanses, i am saying we got many options to use. Who cares if they are specific to the profession or not. You take what you have at your disposal and make due with it.

We got less cleanses that all other classes xDDD, but yes, we can “bear” with condis.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

We got less cleanses that all other classes xDDD, but yes, we can “bear” with condis.

not really.

Thieves got it worse man. Sure they got 1 condi every 3 seconds, while in stealth. However when in combat you often are forced to blow several cooldowns, and if you drop SR, all the enemy need to do is apply AOE condies on the SR and you lose your entire cleanse.
Guards can also be overloaded with conditions, if you play smart, necromancers even more so (oh the irony). PU mesmers are often hit hard by condies.

The only classes that does not care for codies at all is eles and warriors. Dunno about engies but i heard they got some crazy cleansing going for them.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

We don’t have less, we have worse, engi has less condi removal than us, however their condi removal options are just significantly BETTER than ours, same with thief, and ele.

I’d give up healing spring for Ether Renewal any day of the week.