What is the future of the Ranger?

in Ranger

Posted by: Pedra.4381

Pedra.4381

I have all the official ArenaNet quotes to validate my statements here but for various reasons, I’ll hold them in abeyance for the moment.

1) We’ve been told that Rangers are the class “most in need of improvement”. Since then we’ve heard nothing else from that individual and we’ve argurably seen additional nerfs.

2) We’ve been told that part of the problem with fixing Ranger pets is that it’s bad design if two Rangers could team up to kill end game bosses. Yet, we all know there are classes in the game that regularly solo end bosses. That sets off huge alarms in the common sense department and when that happens, there’s something wrong with the statement.

3) With statement two as the background, a certain designer that mains a Ranger believes that he can solo Lupicus (not yet done but seems confident he can do it). This same individual attends game balance meetings and represents Rangers there due to his knowledge of the class. If two Rangers duoing bosses is a problem and this gentleman already believes he can do it solo…then we’re faced with another problem that sets off alarm bells.

Until these diverging views are explained and/or someone explains to us the future of the Ranger, I’m going to remain both skeptical and confused. It’s clarity I seek, not platitudes.

I welcome any insights.

JonPeters.5630:]I do still believe ranger is the profession in most need of improvement…

in Ranger

Posted by: Petrol.9086

Petrol.9086

Maby they don’t really know what they want the ranger to be, or they’re just having trouble sorting out the pet scripting/ai/whatever.

Judging from the revamp that happend between Beta Weekend 2 and 3, maby they decided that all rangers should be very pet heavy, and thought it was better to make the change before the game went live rather than later, regardless the state of the pet ai and just fix that later.
Or both, that’s the only reason i can come up with why absolutely abyssmal traits like Evasive Purity and other problems are still there even after 6 months.

Maby they just want to keep the class functional( and it is) untill they can make some substatial changes they’re happy with, I really doubt they have “forgotten” about the ranger but who can say when that happens?
Next patch? Next year?

Also i don’t see why a ranger shouldn’t be able to solo Lupi, that fight is all about evading it’s attacks and rangers have evades and vigor comming out of the yin yang, the pet will how ever be dead most of the fight and it will take a really long time.
Soloing Lupi isn’t so much about the class as it is about the player.

in Ranger

Posted by: MyGWAccount.7325

MyGWAccount.7325

there is no future, head for the hills, all is bleak, abandon ship!

in Ranger

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

it’s all true… how is 2 rangers OP when there’s classes that solo certain bosses all day long.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Ranger

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

I gave up on Anet. If they’ll carry us into a brighter tomorrow that’d be great, but I’m not about to get my hopes up. I’ve pretty much lost confidence in them.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Ranger

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I have all the official ArenaNet quotes to validate my statements here but for various reasons, I’ll hold them in abeyance for the moment.

1) We’ve been told that Rangers are the class “most in need of improvement”. Since then we’ve heard nothing else from that individual and we’ve argurably seen additional nerfs.

2) We’ve been told that part of the problem with fixing Ranger pets is that it’s bad design if two Rangers could team up to kill end game bosses. Yet, we all know there are classes in the game that regularly solo end bosses. That sets off huge alarms in the common sense department and when that happens, there’s something wrong with the statement.

3) With statement two as the background, a certain designer that mains a Ranger believes that he can solo Lupicus (not yet done but seems confident he can do it). This same individual attends game balance meetings and represents Rangers there due to his knowledge of the class. If two Rangers duoing bosses is a problem and this gentleman already believes he can do it solo…then we’re faced with another problem that sets off alarm bells.

Until these diverging views are explained and/or someone explains to us the future of the Ranger, I’m going to remain both skeptical and confused. It’s clarity I seek, not platitudes.

I welcome any insights.

i think the point he was making is not that two rangers can duo bosses is a problem, more to the effect that two rangers can duo bosses easily, without doing much other than swaping out pets when the boss dies. Fighting lupi and other bosses without getting hit involves, reaction, planning, use of defensive skills, reacting to enemy etc. The method of beating bosses with two stat buffed pets involves swaping pets.

i dont think he would have any problem if you can beat or duo a boss through extremely good play, gearing, planning and control of your charachter and pet. However, duoing because pets simply cannot die, and play the game for you is not the direction they want to go.

in Ranger

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

The problems may stem from the strong ranger healing of pets. At the moment pets die too quickly from aoe and agony. Perhaps if they survive longer they will provide a low skill method of ‘tanking’ bosses as the healing kicks in. The middle ground may be smaller than you think (so letting the pets survive against some bosses will let them dominate other bosses). I certainly know that my ranger can solo a lot of open world champion mobs, using the pet in a traditional tanking role.

in Ranger

Pedra.4381

Maby they don’t really know what they want the ranger to be, or they’re just having trouble sorting out the pet scripting/ai/whatever.

If this is indeed true, then we’re really kittened.

Personally, I’m not ready to concede that but there are some definite contradictions out there that I would like explained. The longer we go without those explanations though, the closer I get to to thinking they might not know how to fix it or if they want to.

I do think we’re being punished for the BOT epidemic and ArenaNet is taking the easy way out to combat it.

JonPeters.5630:]I do still believe ranger is the profession in most need of improvement…

in Ranger

Posted by: Asthalon.6875

Asthalon.6875

People need to stop jumping all over ArenaNet for stuff like this.

You said it yourself, ANet admitted Ranger is the most in need of improvement. When you make a game as complex as GW2 is, and you come out with a statement like that, there are usually one of two possible outcomes, tied to the nature of the company:

1) The company doesn’t care about community feedback at all. They slap some stuff together and call it fixed. Don’t like it? Wait til the next expansion when they change everything again anyway.

2) The company cares quite a lot about the game and the community. They spend time developing, testing, trashing, developing, testing, and maybe implementing ideas. The last thing they want to do, after admitting (effectively) a kitten-up is to follow up with another kitten-up.

Topics like this are getting tiresome. People ask, nay demand answers from the Devs, and when they get those answers, if they don’t like them (no matter how practical or sensible they are), they whinge and moan and then go start a new thread to ask again. If I were in ANet’s shoes, I wouldn’t bother to say anything. Robert Hrouda is a brave (and well-spoken) man, in light of that.

Maybe you (general you) should stop before posting threads like this and ask yourselves this question:

Do you actually know how to develop, program, draw, test, and implement these fixes yourself?

Most of us cannot answer Yes to that question (I can’t). Kwitcherkittenin. Let the nice people who know how to do it take the time to do it properly.

in Ranger

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

1. I have friends in the dev business, Asth. After the bullkitten we’ve been subjected to, I think we’ve earned our right to ‘demand’ answers from devs. We rarely if ever get those questions answered seriously if at all(Devs ignoring 99% of the ranger forum, responding to only one issue maybe once every two months), and the answers we get sound nice but aren’t backed up by ‘practical’ or ‘sensible’ action, which is why we keep ‘demanding’ and ‘whinging’, whatever that means.

2. We shouldn’t have to wait until an expansion to get a POSSIBLE fix or see our feedback recognized.

3. Pfah, you just contradicted yourself. The feedback is from the community, if you claim that they don’t give a farrk about the feedback, then how can they care about the community? And you claim they care about the game, Asth? Probably, but they’re certainly not showing it with the way they’ve been leaving major problems unaddressed and still finding time to add some new dinky to the gem store every time a month passes.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Ranger

Pedra.4381

Most of us cannot answer Yes to that question (I can’t). Kwitcherkittenin. Let the nice people who know how to do it take the time to do it properly.

You make some valid points but this isn’t one of them. Since we were told that Rangers are most in need of improvement, nearly 1/3 of a year has passed with multiple updates, other classes getting buffs, us getting nerfs, and this forum shrouded in silence. If we accept that then we never get anywhere. You can’t accept being put in a hole and covered up.

I’ve purposely avoided posting these comments in Mr. Hrouda’s thread as I think doing so would be inappropriate. Asking that these questions be addressed though is not.

P.S.: This focus on pets discussion, when you consider the Ranger as a whole, is a bit of sleight of hand on the part of ArenaNet. Well played though.

(edited by Pedra.4381)

in Ranger

Posted by: Lert.6287

Lert.6287

PvE shouldn’t be the matter looked at. Personally I enjoy (well, maybe ’’rather’’, since i’m PvP player) doing PvE as ranger than other classes. But when it comes to WvW, it’s completelly different story.
On PvE you can do many evades which with your experience will rarely fail since mob’s power-shot animation takes already like 3 seconds and in addition you know where will the hit go.
I thought players and Devs agreed that ranger is considered as the weakest class. It’s not good as support, dps – meh meh, conditions? engi has like 3 times stronger than ranger could ever get, necro’s conditions are still far better. AoE skills – meh again. Basicly, ranger isn’t good at anything. It only has tad more evades than other proffessions without any mobility-fast way skills.
Yet, I don’t understand it’s still getting nerfed. Other classes get their bugs fixed and boost right away. And all we hear is that they will do something about rangers to improve them, but they don’t.

Engineer / Piken Square
Former Team Psy [Psy] member/ [BNF] guest
YT Channel

(edited by Lert.6287)

in Ranger

Asthalon.6875

1. I have friends in the dev business, Asth. After the bullkitten we’ve been subjected to, I think we’ve earned our right to ‘demand’ answers from devs. We rarely if ever get those questions answered seriously if at all(Devs ignoring 99% of the ranger forum, responding to only one issue maybe once every two months), and the answers we get sound nice but aren’t backed up by ‘practical’ or ‘sensible’ action, which is why we keep ‘demanding’ and ‘whinging’, whatever that means.

sigh No, you have not earned any such right. ANet’s pricing model sort of mitigates the kind of entitlement that subscription MMO players typically might justify. You bought the game up front, and that was your only mandatory cost to play it. Most such purchases (think single-player games here) do not have continued development and content additions, though more titles are moving in that direction. I doubt many can even argue that purchasing Gems gives that right, because Gem purchase is in most cases going to be fueled by virtual consumerism, not altruistic support for ANet.

If I were a Dev I would ignore 99% of the Ranger forum as well… because 99% of the Ranger forum is senseless whinging (an exaggeration, but you get the point). I’d love to come to the Ranger forum for legitimate Ranger discussion, but that can get pretty hard to find amidst all of these kinds of threads (which I’m even perpetuating, to a certain extent here, so hey, I suck too).

2. We shouldn’t have to wait until an expansion to get a POSSIBLE fix or see our feedback recognized.

3. Pfah, you just contradicted yourself. The feedback is from the community, if you claim that they don’t give a farrk about the feedback, then how can they care about the community? And you claim they care about the game, Asth? Probably, but they’re certainly not showing it with the way they’ve been leaving major problems unaddressed and still finding time to add some new dinky to the gem store every time a month passes.

You should read my post again, specifically where I said one of two outcomes was likely… not both. No contradiction. I thought I rather clearly intimated that I felt ANet was closer to the 2nd point than the 1st. I apologize if that wasn’t clear. Expansion comments were in reference to a certain other large studio’s idea of “balance”.

TL;DR – I’ll fully agree that ANet’s communication habits, with some exceptions, leave a lot to be desired. But I really can’t fully blame them for that – the community has not shown a willingness to be flexible in absorbing that communication.

Thousands of “WTF where’s my promised fix” posts does not create an incentive for open communication.

in Ranger

Pedra.4381

Thousands of “WTF where’s my promised fix” posts does not create an incentive for open communication.

In this instance, Asthalon, what do you think came first? The chicken or the egg?

in Ranger

Asthalon.6875

Hey, I’m not denying they said stuff was broken and it’s still broken. I’m not denying it sucks. I’m not denying that it seems like it’s taking a while.

But we don’t know why. We don’t know how much they have tried and discarded. We don’t know how much is in QA. We don’t have any right to that knowledge, and we certainly don’t do much as a community (as a whole) to encourage them to be more open about that process.

In all honesty, what did you hope to achieve by posting this thread that is basically a rehash of thousands of (unanswered) posts before it?

The horse is dead. Stop beating it. Give ANet the time and opportunity to raise that corpse into a half-decent minion.

Edit:
P.S. – I do respect that you hived your complaint off so as not to derail the latest Dev thread. I just don’t get what value you saw in posting it at all.

(edited by Asthalon.6875)

in Ranger

Pedra.4381

In all honesty, what did you hope to achieve by posting this thread that is basically a rehash of thousands of (unanswered) posts before it?

Clarity.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jeraziah.3809

Jeraziah.3809

Get some sense here people, ArenaNet certainly cares for its community. As it adds content on peoples feedback. Further, the ranger is a very complex class like the engineer. It might be weak, but is very dependable on tactic and pet. If you fail in your traits, and having your stock tiger as pet. You’re not gonna make it. But because it is so complex it is a playground for Anet to make it perfect. Add less damage, it becomes to weak. Add more life/armor and it becomes quite more OP. Weaken pets and their to weak, make pets stronger and it is OP again.

Have respect for those people, they are working on that stated above. I bet 60% of the complainers of this topic would get a migraine when working on that. And what do you expect of a game like this? that it is all perfect and fine? almost 50% is something new in the mmo genre, a experiment. I am amazed that i can play it without seeing any bugs or noticeable issues. Yes, there are some. But i wont kill myself if i see a animation glitching.

Just let them do their job, and post your suggestions/ideas. Your not helping the game like this.

in Ranger

Pedra.4381

Just let them do their job, and post your suggestions/ideas. Your not helping the game like this.

History is replete with examples of why this isn’t true. Sticking your head in the sand for the purpose of appeasement has never worked, it never will.

As I’ve said several times on these forums, I didn’t start where I am on this subject, I was led here…I was led here by a failure to communicate and a whole lot of mis-information.

in Ranger

Posted by: CRrabbit.1284

CRrabbit.1284

I doubt that ranger will have any significant change in the future.
Right now we are:
King of open field PVE;
One of the best in SPVP (if not the best but definitely TOP3);
Doing OK in dungeons (although not preferred classes);
Sucks in WvW and tPVP.

Over all, it’s pretty balanced. If anything improved in WvW ranger will become over-powered then you won’t see other classes anymore.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Right now we are:
King of open field PVE;
Sucks in WvW and tPVP.

Over all, it’s pretty balanced. If anything improved in WvW ranger will become over-powered then you won’t see other classes anymore.

We are hardly the “king” of overworld PvE. That stuff is so stupidly easy that no class really shines but I can guarantee that the classes that do better in dungeons are doing better in all the rest of pve as well.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

vespers.1759

Right now we are:
King of open field PVE;
Sucks in WvW and tPVP.

wow i hope the devs don’t read this post. balance across game modes? kitten kind of logic is that? “oh well rangers are acceptable in 3/5 modes and therefore they’re good” WHAT?!. they need to be balanced for every mode individually.

also i don’t understand why wvwv is treated like open world pve when it isn’t. sure there’s nodes and some mobs but it’s a pvp zone and should have the balance of spvp.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

God is in the details. Some of you heard some tid bit or fact and jump of a cliff with that information.

A skilled player can solo most end game content. The fact that Anet says they dont want to buff ranger pets cuz then two ranger will mow down alot of content isnt invalid as a reason. The fact that it can be done isnt quite as important as how fast it can be done.

One must decide to go glass cannon or bunker. There are degrees but ultimatily you are leaning more one way or the other. With a pet buff a ranger could choose glass and not suffer in the least in pve.

Anet cant ignore pve. PVE player tend to be more loyal to titles than pvpers (where pv kitten eperate from pve).

Side note PvE content is a million times easier on a ranger at least from my experience. While leveling I could easily fight mobs up to 7 levels higher. I cant do that on my warrior mesmer ele or thief itsdo able on my guardian butit takes so much longer. Why do you think botter use rangers.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

(edited by Serraphin Storm.2369)

in Ranger

vespers.1759

pets get 3 shotted when they take direct aggro anyway. i think we’re a long long way from seeing them tank bosses. they die before the swap recharges when they take direct aggro.

1 guardian can solo kohler. i don’t see pets ever being able to do that.

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

God is in the details. Some of you heard some tid bit or fact and jump of a cliff with that information.

A skilled player can solo most end game content. The fact that Anet says they dont want to buff ranger pets cuz then two ranger will mow down alot of content isnt invalid as a reason. The fact that it can be done isnt quite as important as how fast it can be done.

One must decide to go glass cannon or bunker. There are degrees but ultimatily you are leaning more one way or the other. With a pet buff a ranger could choose glass and not suffer in the least in pve.

Anet cant ignore pve. PVE player tend to be more loyal to titles than pvpers (where pv kitten eperate from pve).

Side note PvE content is a million times easier on a ranger at least from my experience. While leveling I could easily fight mobs up to 7 levels higher. I cant do that on my warrior mesmer ele or thief itsdo able on my guardian butit takes so much longer. Why do you think botter use rangers.

That must be why everyone is always spamming “GLF Rangers!” when doing dungeon runs…

in Ranger

Serraphin Storm.2369

Before the update I could solo LT. Kohler. You also dont see any other class soloing boss with pets either.

Two ranger soloing content was in reference to buffing pets.

everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Serraphin Storm.2369

The next time your in a group and your fighting hard content and your group wipes or nearly wipes take note who is the last one standing. Most times I bet it’s the Ranger and the Guardian (maybe an ele). In my experience if the ranger is half decent he can prevent the wipe while the Guardian is capable of finishing the fight if you want to wait 30 minutes for him to do it.

You cant go by what everyone else does or thinks. 3 months ago all ranger except a small minority thought the 1h sword was the worst weapon in our arsenal. Now it is arguably considered on of the best.

Rangers have a PR problem. But that doesnt mean that, that perception is the reality of the Rangers capablities.

in Ranger

vespers.1759

The next time your in a group and your fighting hard content and your group wipes or nearly wipes take note who is the last one standing. Most times I bet it’s the Ranger and the Guardian (maybe an ele). In my experience if the ranger is half decent he can prevent the wipe while the Guardian is capable of finishing the fight if you want to wait 30 minutes for him to do it.

You cant go by what everyone else does or thinks. 3 months ago all ranger except a small minority thought the 1h sword was the worst weapon in our arsenal. Now it is arguably considered on of the best.

Rangers have a PR problem. But that doesnt mean that, that perception is the reality of the Rangers capablities.

i think you’re confusing skill with the fact that rangers A) stand 1500 yards back and can run away and are so inconsequential that they get ignored until everyone else is dead.

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

People thought (and still think) the 1h sword is bad mostly because it glues you to the target and makes dodging very difficult. The #2 and 3 skills also used to be very glitchy and would often miss entirely. No one ever though it dealt poor damage.

in Ranger

Posted by: Leaf.3156

Leaf.3156

The Ranger profession just feels like a completely rushed job that didn’t have much thought go into it.
Trait lines are a mess, they don’t make sense, traits are bugged, plain bad numbers wise, don’t have any synergy, or are so badly bugged that they don’t even do anything.
Weapons are weak damage wise, but have rather low utility so damage is all they do.
Pets have the potential to be strong, for example a jaguar with Pet’s Prowess and Sick ‘Em can hit bosses for 5-6k, but that doesn’t matter because they die the moment the boss even considers the possibility of casting an AoE spell.
Base health and armour are rather low, so the ranger is forced to pick up a lot of vitality and/or toughness, further gimping their damage.
On top of that, with the release of Ascended items, pets are lagging behind stats-wise.
Ranger weapons also have no idea if they want to be power or condition damage weapons, meaning that you should get both power/precision AND condition damage, which just leads to both physical and condition damage being incredibly mediocre.

These are just my observations from playing a ranger since BWE1.
kitten I miss BWE1, when rangers were actually good.

in Ranger

Serraphin Storm.2369

I wasnt referring to the damage of the 1h sword. Talking the weapon as a whole. Those that dismiss the sword because of the rooting never spend any real time with the weapon and therefore never master it. Those that have master it know its a really good not despite the but becuase of the root (the root issue is as intended and not a bug).

There are alot of things that new ranger complain about. The same issues over and over again. Some of which are L2 kitten ue and others are difference of opionion when it comes to design choices. Then there are real bugs.

I feel the future of the ranger is bright. People will still complain about pets and aoe but I feel anything that downs a player should kill a pet. Anything else would be OP.

Pets and moving targets: well they should not be able to catch anything if they are moving at the same speed. Speed up your pet or slow down your target or both. It works fine for spvp.

Overall damage: I think its fine. The great sword could use a buff but other than that use the right weapon for the job.

Pet ai isnt an issue for me. People get upset when they do see what they want in a patch. Alot of you just want ranger to be OP or just dont think your solutions through.

I joined a solo tpvp ended up with a team of all rangers vs a very diverse team we stomped them like 500 to 86. You can argue that the skill level of the other team was severly lacking it does say one thing. Rangers are not totally broken like some of you believe.

I see a light at the end of the tunnel for ranger and I see dark days ahead for some of the other classes.

in Ranger

Pedra.4381

Pet ai isnt an issue for me. People get upset when they do see what they want in a patch. Alot of you just want ranger to be OP or just dont think your solutions through.

I do still believe ranger is the profession in most need of improvement after this patch and we will continue to make those improvements.
Jon

Serraphin, please have your Rangers are fine discussion with Mr. Peters. You can find him on the SPvP or Mesmer forums.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I don’t see much of a future since there’s almost nothing done for class balance on every patch.

Sadly, because of this, the meta is stale and my favorite class has been in a mediocre to bad place (depending on what part of the game you’re talking about) for too long. This is why I’m spending my time on a mesmer now.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

Gw2 will have been released for one year in August. Looking at the laundry list of things to do, I don’t expect any MAJOR future improvements for Ranger before August. I’d be willing to guess 2014 for them to be in better shape with a healthier pet AI and that’s being optimistic. Anet is overly cautious with change and class balance, to the point it’s hindering their credibility.

in Ranger

Posted by: Leaf.3156

Leaf.3156

Gw2 will have been released for one year in August. Looking at the laundry list of things to do, I don’t expect any MAJOR future improvements for Ranger before August. I’d be willing to guess 2014 for them to be in better shape with a healthier pet AI and that’s being optimistic. Anet is overly cautious with change and class balance, to the point it’s hindering their credibility.

They weren’t overly cautious when they nerfed every single ranger weapon and trait line during the betas even before the full selection of professions was available.
They Smiter’s Boon’d the entire profession in an incomplete balance environment and never once admitted that it wasn’t the right thing to do.
Just like Paragons in GW1, really. I’m still waiting for that rework. Waiting for more than 5 years now.

in Ranger

Posted by: Arekai.5698

Arekai.5698

I already almost completely stopped playing this kitten game. Ranger is also my main but seriously. I’ll try PvE again after 1-2 years.
Currently playing other games and just hoping that Anet finally comes to their senses.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Not as bad as Arekai is stating, but there are some very annoyed Rangers out there because:

(1) Over 4 months ago, Jon Peters created a thread stating that ArenaNet knows the Ranger class is the most in need of improvements … then several months elapse and no meaningful improvements have been received.

(2) You don’t hear people complaining that much about Rangers, but you do Thieves, Guardians, and Elementalists. Guess who got received a WvW nerf and who received buffs from the latest patch?

(3) Pet AI can be frustrating at times. I LOVE my pet when he works. I HATE him when he doesn’t. I often find myself hating my pet. I want the darn thing to work!

(4) Even with very good pet management in dungeons, your pet is likely to die in certain encounters. There’s simply too much in some places for the very limited controls and pet stats to handle.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Ranger

Pedra.4381

We talk about anything pertaining to game balance. Yes pets have been brought up before many times.

When I think about our current state, I feel much better now concerning the future of pets.

in Ranger

Posted by: Hillaan.6904

Hillaan.6904

People my not like wow, but they had the same problems this game is having. I know they don’t want to copy wow but the pet system at least works in dungeons. It is possible to fix the problems but they have to want to fix them. So far it doesn’t look like they do. At least there was a glimmer of hope with the new thread. Here’s hoping

in Ranger

Posted by: matenzo.9518

matenzo.9518

People need to stop jumping all over ArenaNet for stuff like this.

You said it yourself, ANet admitted Ranger is the most in need of improvement. When you make a game as complex as GW2 is, and you come out with a statement like that, there are usually one of two possible outcomes, tied to the nature of the company:

1) The company doesn’t care about community feedback at all. They slap some stuff together and call it fixed. Don’t like it? Wait til the next expansion when they change everything again anyway.

2) The company cares quite a lot about the game and the community. They spend time developing, testing, trashing, developing, testing, and maybe implementing ideas. The last thing they want to do, after admitting (effectively) a kitten-up is to follow up with another kitten-up.

Topics like this are getting tiresome. People ask, nay demand answers from the Devs, and when they get those answers, if they don’t like them (no matter how practical or sensible they are), they whinge and moan and then go start a new thread to ask again. If I were in ANet’s shoes, I wouldn’t bother to say anything. Robert Hrouda is a brave (and well-spoken) man, in light of that.

Maybe you (general you) should stop before posting threads like this and ask yourselves this question:

Do you actually know how to develop, program, draw, test, and implement these fixes yourself?

Just out of curiosity. By your standards how long would it take until it was justified to complain about the state of the ranger class? A year? Maybe more?

It’s already been six months so clearly that’s not long enough.

Also what does not knowing how to develop a game have to do with anything?

I don’t know how to make ice-cream but if I buy one and there’s a hair in it I do believe it’s perfectly fine to complain about it.

I’m currently working as a web designer and I would never dare imagine using that argument on a displeased client. “Hey if you think you can make a better website go make it yourself mate! But oh wait, no you can’t cause you don’t know how to make a website, do you? Plus I didn’t ask for all that much money so I guess you should have seen it coming! I’ll probably fix it eventually so how about you quit your complaining!”.

Btw I worked as a 3D modeller for a couple of years so I do have a general idea of what goes into making a game (granted I had nothing to do with anything outside the visual aspect).

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

They weren’t overly cautious when they nerfed every single ranger weapon and trait line during the betas even before the full selection of professions was available.
They Smiter’s Boon’d the entire profession in an incomplete balance environment and never once admitted that it wasn’t the right thing to do.
Just like Paragons in GW1, really. I’m still waiting for that rework. Waiting for more than 5 years now.

Woaw now, don’t even joke about that. If we really are the Para’s of GW2 then I will just uninstall right now.

in Ranger

Posted by: Raptured.9307

Raptured.9307

Man this forum is so depressing lol

Rank 37 spvp, dungeon master
[HL] Deadly Protection @ Sanctum of Culling