What role(s) does the ranger play in WvWvW?

in Ranger

Posted by: TehMoonRulz.7064

TehMoonRulz.7064

Im curious as to what roles you believe the Ranger can provide in a WvWvW setting and how well you believe your build does at fulfilling that role.

Personally, I have run glass cannon builds that weren’t very fun and am currently running a build that focuses on keeping enemies from escaping through Muddy Terrain and Entangling Roots. I provide additional utility through Warhorn buffs for groups and run with Signet of Stone if Im getting hammered and Signet of Wild to boost personal DPS when on the offensive.

Ideally Id like a build that focused on Long Bow & Sword/Dagger with a pet that provided fear and another that froze. Still waiting to put that together but that’s another discussion.

in Ranger

Posted by: fishergrip.4082

fishergrip.4082

Rangers are best at picking off enemies that stray too far from the main enemy zerg and providing ranged dps in small raiding parties.

Shortbow and axe/warhorn is probably the best combo. Sadly, melee as a ranger is not very viable in WvW as the weapons are lackluster and other classes like warriors, thieves, mesmers and guardians can stomp us in melee.

Maid Of The Coast

in Ranger

Posted by: Venom.8712

Venom.8712

I use LB and axe/warhorn, sometimes sword/warhorn. Just like the guy above said, rangers do a good job at picking off people because of the range we get. Plus, barraging a whole group of people just makes me happy.

in Ranger

Posted by: RiversOnFire.3607

RiversOnFire.3607

I equip axe+horn and shortbow, have longbow in my pack when seiging a tower.keep

melee weapons r weak, rangers cant survive long without keeping distance from enemies, greatsword really useful against thieves, but, im more worried about warriors and guardians in WvW

longbow is usually used in glass canon class, which makes u have no options but hiding behind ur allies or walls, kinda boring, but, it kills quick, pick anyone out of zerg without full health, simply 7k-14k dmg in 2 secs with zephyr.

shortbow is great for condition damage and control, and survivablity. though dps is low, but stacks bleeding can make sure they die even they run back, if then can.

in Ranger

Posted by: RiversOnFire.3607

RiversOnFire.3607

my role in WvW is a troll, i use shining dyes to make my noln so obvious to enemies, they thought: look, a glass canon getting close. they all attacked me, and im tough like hell, i entangle them all then ran back with full health. left the rest to our thieves and warriors. anyone trying to run away from me will die with my bleeding and control

my best record is facing arround 10 enemies with my thief friend, they were attacking our dolyak, i poped in, entangled all of them, my thief friend(berserker glass canon) followed with the elite skill. a few secs later, they all downed. we cant even finish them because they kept controlling us

in Ranger

Posted by: Rethen.5869

Rethen.5869

I use axe/warhorn and shortbow when I’m running around out in the world, and when I’m defending or attacking a tower I swap the shortbow out for a longbow for the extra range and mass AOE — and with LB’s focus on straight damage rather than conditions they’re great for taking out walls, gates, and siege, which are immune to conditions.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gary Bobby Ferguson.3980

Gary Bobby Ferguson.3980

A really good combo that people over look due to the short bow is the long bow Hunter’s Shot + QZ + Rapid Fire for a sudden burst-like damage to any target on pursuit. The Hunter’s Shot adds vulnerability to add 10% incoming damage while you stack up numbers with your Rapid Fire on QZ. This combo gets anyone to spam their dodge button, and doesn’t require a glass cannon-like build to put out a decent amount of damage.The long bow also offers you one of the best ranger crowd control skills: Barrage. Use that with the ranger’s Radiation Field utility to leave behind wide area damage to slow your foe down when being chased; works like a charm for me because people tend to try and avoid the red circles I leave behind allowing me to gap them farther with less heat.

in Ranger

Posted by: kiranslee.4829

kiranslee.4829

Rangers are cannon fodder,

in Ranger

Posted by: racta.4250

racta.4250

I do best in small groups and especially ambushes. Keep fights are off and on since we can pew pew but without the means to reliably chase someone down/put our pet on them, we don’t do enough damage to really surprise burst.

Racta
[Bush] – Dragonbrand

in Ranger

Posted by: TehMoonRulz.7064

TehMoonRulz.7064

I have switched to a LB~Axe/Horn Combo to play a sniper role. Using a hound and the snow wolf for CC. Fun so far but seems much more passive. Will be looking into a tanky melee fighter until SB is changed

in Ranger

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I try to play the annoying guy that you don’t really notice but slowsly dwindles down your hp while you’re focused on the warrior in your face. It really back fires when I pull a leeroy and charge in front of the zerge… only to realize they turned around.

RIP in peace Robert

in Ranger

Posted by: Deleven.7508

Deleven.7508

if you find yourself chasing alot, then sword-dagger is really effective, the spammable cripple and leap on the auto attack make it impossible for the enemies to escape, and you can throw more cc on your utility skills just for kicks.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Ranger is mainly support in WvW. You can scout with it so long as you stay out of combat range – against any half-decent thief you are going to die.

in Ranger

Posted by: Luriyu.6873

Luriyu.6873

Fort Aspen: usually on anytime between 8pm-2am GMT-7

I’m used to being a roamer, i also didn’t join a guild till i was lvl 80 doing solo runs from lvl 40-50, lvl 60-65, and lvl 75-80.

i like to go into areas where we are absolutely losing, and just raid the back. i’ve focused on surviving, and running away when it’s not a 1v1 or a favourable 2v1.

given enough distractions, i can solo raid a supply camp then be on my way. the ranger will do extremely well against mobs because of it’s ability to simultaneously tank and spank almost all pve enemies. that means you can disrupt supply lines and lower down the points as a roamer.

I also gank people doing the centaur and skritt quests because they tend to split up to increase the speed of the killing rate. throw down a warhorn buff, enter with eagles and mow them down. after that get out asap and repeat against the next foe.

i always check my map and do a 360 check of enemies holding cntrl so that i can plan where i ambush where i hit and what path i take. stay ahead or behind the zergs and take out stragglers. there have been plenty of times where i manage to cripple a small party or delay a few running foes enough that the zerg just wipes them. travel a bit with them and plan your next move.