What's the point of a ranger?

in Ranger

Posted by: akjb.8372

akjb.8372

Warriors are the best bow users.

Eles do better range dps.

Pets are useless.

We cant portal, our support skills are garbage….

Juide of Clubs —- Deso

in Ranger

Posted by: Toby.2357

Toby.2357

Ranger dps is almost halfed because ‘’Pet is a part of rangers dps’’ and now that pets are useless rangers are the stepchild now. A good idea? Remove pets, remove beastmastery trait tree and add dual mastery trait tree. I use axe / axe + sword / horn, much better then kittenty bows now-

Level 80 Kudzu Ranger – SFR

in Ranger

Posted by: Aden Celeste.3650

Aden Celeste.3650

Even better: remove the class all together. It probably wont be missed.

Seriously, Im so angry right now…

in Ranger

Posted by: BlusterWolf.2103

BlusterWolf.2103

We still have the best water field in game yay, so now you can afk every 30 sec come back press 6 and you become worthless again.

Forty Milliseconds…rangers who remember…know…

in Ranger

Posted by: Aden Celeste.3650

Aden Celeste.3650

We still have the best water field in game yay, so now you can afk every 30 sec come back press 6 and you become worthless again.

LOL dude, that will be nerfed next month.

in Ranger

Posted by: EthanLightheart.9168

EthanLightheart.9168

Most ridicolous nerf evern ! U can’t be serious. If u do that then double the damage! OMG!!!!

in Ranger

Posted by: Fomby.4295

Fomby.4295

Well… I can stack up a minute and half (the time cap) of AoE regen now. So that’s gotta be something, right?

Maguuma [PYRO]
Kal Snow – Norn Guardian

in Ranger

Posted by: Stice.5204

Stice.5204

The “point” of a ranger is to be a character that fights alongside a pet using a combination of martial prowess, woodsman skills and nature-themed magic. Not to fill some min/maxed metagame niche.

If you pick characters because you enjoy them thematically instead of based on whether or not they are the objective “best” at functions X, Y or Z you’ll probably have more fun with most games.

Guardian, Engineer
[SIC] Strident Iconoclast – BP

in Ranger

Posted by: RoterFuchs.9216

RoterFuchs.9216

The “point” of a ranger is to be a character that fights alongside a pet using a combination of martial prowess, woodsman skills and nature-themed magic. Not to fill some min/maxed metagame niche.

If you pick characters because you enjoy them thematically instead of based on whether or not they are the objective “best” at functions X, Y or Z you’ll probably have more fun with most games.

According to guildwars2.com this is what a ranger is:

Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows. With traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation.

Couldn’t find the unparalleled archer part ingame.
Apart from that: have fun playing alone. Because nobody will want you in their dungeon group. “Find a guild blabla”. Sure. Possible. But it shouldn’t be that way. You shouldn’t have to rely on a specific solution just to enjoy the game like everyone else does.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jamoke.1523

Jamoke.1523

Jesus, just remove the failed class from the game already.

in Ranger

Stice.5204

Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows. With traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation.

Oh sheesh…Not this again.

The warrior introduction on the same part of the website says “Warriors are masters of weaponry” so obviously they should outperform everyone else using all kinds of weapons, including bows, right?

I don’t think most players are actually dumb enough to think those blurbs are making promises about game-balancing. I think they’re just trying to play some kind of head game with the developers. The worst case of this I ever saw was in Dark Age of Camelot. God help them, but the pre-release introduction blurb for the eldritch class in that game identified them as “wielding the most powerful spells in the world” or something like that. When the game actually launched the eldritch, of course, was about as strong as every other spellcaster. This kicked off literally years of posters whining on forums about how the developers had “promised” them that their eldritch would be stronger than everyone else.

Guild Wars 2 is designed to give a lot of different weapon options to every class, and it’s pretty clear that all of the weapons are at least intended to be good. They didn’t give warriors and thieves access to bows with the caveat that their archery skills would always be inferior to rangers. If those classes had weapons that were, by design, inferior then nobody would use them anyway and even including them would be a waste of time. So no, rangers are not really unparalleled archers in Guild Wars 2 and they’re not going to be.

If you think ranger bow skills are underpowered, then go ahead and make a case for Arenanet to buff them, but the case should be something other than “the pre-release intro blurb said nobody else would be good with a bow.”

Guardian, Engineer

in Ranger

Posted by: DevO.9854

DevO.9854

actually after not being happy with the patch I’m stronger then ever in tpvp.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vhampire.4132

Vhampire.4132

one word for you, “bait-n-switch”….every MMO has it. welcome to the “chaos success wagon”…que Agent Smith, Morpheus convo. Now 1/6th of every server has to spend 100+ hours rerolling….gaurenteed income! GG

in Ranger

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

If they removed the “from behind or from the side” from short bow auto attack, then we’d be useful. Otherwise, a Rifle Warrior can bleed out way better than a Ranger. An Engi is WAY better at dishing out conditions than Rangers.

Thieves are everything we should be and more. It’s a sad day in the game….

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Ranger

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

Eles do better range dps.

pretty much every class does more range dps

in Ranger

Stice.5204

If they removed the “from behind or from the side” from short bow auto attack, then we’d be useful. Otherwise, a Rifle Warrior can bleed out way better than a Ranger.

Uh, are you implying that there are a lot of groups out there carefully weighing their options for a ranged bleed-stacking autoattacker and then deciding not to go with a ranger because of the flanking requirement on Crossfire?

Guardian, Engineer

in Ranger

Posted by: Antigono.1258

Antigono.1258

duuu.. today was trying to get back to the game. Stop playing when they could not fix the Rangers after several updates unintelligible, back after months and nothing has changed.
It seems incrible .. is that they will never leave this working well?
Well back maybe in a few months. Unless you tell me it’s possible to play and enjoy a Ranger with any build, and not die in the attempt thwarted.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fade.1743

Fade.1743

I play a ranger using a Hybrid BM build.

I have fun.

This is a video game.

I am having fun in a video game.

With my ranger, not my Guardian, Mesmer, or Warrior. Engineer is still fun in WvW because I hand out conditions like Oprah handing gifts. But I don’t want Ranger to do that. Because my Engineer does. I want Ranger to be a Ranger…for all its faults.

Magichemist Zeke – Asura Elementalist [TC]
An Insane(ly Intelligent) Genius!
“Did you just tell me the rules? Never tell me the rules!”

in Ranger

Posted by: WingzofIsis.4809

WingzofIsis.4809

The warrior introduction on the same part of the website says “Warriors are masters of weaponry” so obviously they should outperform everyone else using all kinds of weapons, including bows, right?

I don’t think most players are actually dumb enough to think those blurbs are making promises about game-balancing. I think they’re just trying to play some kind of head game with the developers. The worst case of this I ever saw was in Dark Age of Camelot. God help them, but the pre-release introduction blurb for the eldritch class in that game identified them as “wielding the most powerful spells in the world” or something like that. When the game actually launched the eldritch, of course, was about as strong as every other spellcaster. This kicked off literally years of posters whining on forums about how the developers had “promised” them that their eldritch would be stronger than everyone else.

Guild Wars 2 is designed to give a lot of different weapon options to every class, and it’s pretty clear that all of the weapons are at least intended to be good. They didn’t give warriors and thieves access to bows with the caveat that their archery skills would always be inferior to rangers. If those classes had weapons that were, by design, inferior then nobody would use them anyway and even including them would be a waste of time. So no, rangers are not really unparalleled archers in Guild Wars 2 and they’re not going to be.

If you think ranger bow skills are underpowered, then go ahead and make a case for Arenanet to buff them, but the case should be something other than “the pre-release intro blurb said nobody else would be good with a bow.”

Warriors have the higher HP, and Thieves have stealth. As a Ranger I would really like the distance between me and my enemy. I spend a lot of time kiting and pulling. The SB is my weapon of choice because I have a lot of mobility with it. The LB takes to long to shoot and I feel open to attacks. Some people are arguing the nerf to the SB was necessary, but when you can trait to shoot the longbow further the SB doesn’t really shoot the same distance. Also with the stacks of bleed that’s where my damage comes from, not from the bow itself. Maybe they should nerf the Mesmer’s phantasms because they cause confusion, or the range on a staff because they apply conditions too.

in Ranger

Posted by: RoterFuchs.9216

RoterFuchs.9216

Problem is, ranger longbow is actually weaker and less useful than warrior longbow for instance. This isn’t based on “the pre-release intro blurb said nobody else would be good with a bow.” but number crunching.
Sure, the whiners in communities always make problems look worse than they actually are, but nevertheless there is always a grain of truth. I can see what ANet wanted to achieve by making the SB 900 range only. At least I think I do. Then again it was a serious nerf without proper compensation. And that’s what’s wrong.
By creating more distinctive roles for shortbow <> longbow they didn’t only seriously nerf SB ranger, but also SB thief considering that thief is now the single most class without a 1200 range attack.

Also just because the word “ranger” doesn’t necessarily mean having access to ranged weapons, it’s what most people expect. And considering the quote from the ranger page on gw2.com they’re right to do so. Yet the rangers version of the bows are not on par with other classes. In fact they’re worse. And it seems like they’re getting nerfed with each patch. People are just getting fed up. And I can understand them.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

That blurb is only a drawn out way of saying Ranger can equip longbows and shortbows nothing more.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Ranger

WingzofIsis.4809

That blurb is only a drawn out way of saying Ranger can equip longbows and shortbows nothing more.

I get that. I’m not asking for a pistol or a rifle. Again I mostly run conditions so when I switch weapons it’s a sword and torch, but I prefer to stay away from my enemies, as much as possible.

in Ranger

Posted by: SirJack.4760

SirJack.4760

The point of the Ranger is on the arrow we just shot to 1500 range and we’re waiting for our AI Pets to bring it back to shoot it far away again.

But seriously, that’s how our auto-attack will work starting next month.

in Ranger

WingzofIsis.4809

The point of the Ranger is on the arrow we just shot to 1500 range and we’re waiting for our AI Pets to bring it back to shoot it far away again.

But seriously, that’s how our auto-attack will work starting next month.

Correction. We will probably only get to shoot it to 900 with the LB and our AI pet will probably get lost on the way back, and no one will fix it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Cuchullain.3104

Cuchullain.3104

Target dummy for the other classes to have fun killing in WvW.