What's the point of the Jaguar?

in Ranger

Posted by: arcaneclarity.5283

arcaneclarity.5283

The F2 ability is a stealth that only effects the Jaguar itself. What’s the point of this? From my point of view, this has got to be the single most pointless thing I have ever seen in this game.

in Ranger

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

It drops aggro on the jaguar. Situational but it does have its uses.

in Ranger

Posted by: Moakist.5268

Moakist.5268

So you can have it break aggro and get mobbed by the 6 monsters it had pulled without your permission.

The Fayth – Ferguson’s Crossing

in Ranger

Posted by: ilJumperMT.4871

ilJumperMT.4871

While stealthed Jaguar does high damage

in Ranger

Posted by: arcaneclarity.5283

arcaneclarity.5283

While stealthed Jaguar does high damage

Tested it, same damage whether stealthed or not.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

As others have said, it’s simply a way for your pet to lose agro without having to use “return to me”.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Jaguars also have a bunch of unlisted abilities and buffs to damage while stealthed.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Ranger

Posted by: berries.7016

berries.7016

I haven’t tested this, but it seemed to me that it gets almost guaranteed criticals while stealthed. I’m probably wrong though, someone else would have mentioned this otherwise already.

in Ranger

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

The Jaguar has 100% crit chance while stealth, combine that with QZ for huge damage.

in Ranger

Posted by: Arrys.7145

Arrys.7145

You have bow, pet has aggro, you drop traps pet goes stealth, mobs run over traps while pet keeps dealing damage while no longer getting hit. It makes a higher damage pet more survivable while maintaining pet damage.

Of course if your using a SB and want the backside maybe you don’t like this.

Jaguar stealth to haste also seems to unload better than just haste no stealth but that could be rnd chance.

Arrys Shaikin
OoS
A whittling ranger becomes viable by forcing his opponent to whittle

in Ranger

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Jaguars also have a bunch of unlisted abilities and buffs to damage while stealthed.

And you know this how? Don’t get me wrong, that would be great. I’ve been wondering why I would use the Jaguar for a while now.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Ranger

Posted by: Sotaudi.1265

Sotaudi.1265

I am not sure I understand the OP’s confusion saying that the Jaguar’s Stealth “only effects [sic] the Jaguar itself.” Obviously, it affects the mobs because they cannot see it until the stealth breaks. If, therefore, the OP is suggesting that it should also make us stealth, I have to point out that very few pet skills affect us. A few remove conditions or grant boons or such, but the vast, vast majority of Pet F2 skills do not affect us, only the enemy.

That said, others have mentioned that it drops aggro. That is good if you are looking for a bit more pet suvivability … bad if you cannot afford for the aggro to be transferred to you. However, that behavior is good as a traveling ability. That is, if you are just trying to get through an area, you can let the pet take aggro get some distance, then stealth and recall it (F3) to avoid having to switch pets or leave it behind to die.

Personally, I find the ability most useful as an opening move. I can send the Jaguar in stealthed from a distance, which allows the cat to get in the first hits. The Snow Leopard running in to do his Icy Bite is often attacked before it finishes the animation. The Jaguar can make it all the way to the target undetected. That makes the skill useful, in my opinion.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bast.8902

Bast.8902

The tool tip doesn’t tell you that when stealthed the Jaguar gains Crit damage and a higher % to crit.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heylo.4938

Heylo.4938

You have bow, pet has aggro, you drop traps pet goes stealth, mobs run over traps while pet keeps dealing damage while no longer getting hit. It makes a higher damage pet more survivable while maintaining pet damage.

Of course if your using a SB and want the backside maybe you don’t like this.

Jaguar stealth to haste also seems to unload better than just haste no stealth but that could be rnd chance.

I’d say boar pets are more useless than the Jaguar. This plan here seems like a good use of it. I use SB though, but maybe I’ll try this out at some point.

Sickest Guild [NA] Blackgate

in Ranger

Posted by: Jenosavel.1756

Jenosavel.1756

Seras

And you know this how? Don’t get me wrong, that would be great. I’ve been wondering why I would use the Jaguar for a while now.

Valor from Idiot Savants [iQ] says in his video (which you can find in his thread about his shortbow DPS build) that he tested it. As [iQ] was a high quality source of mechanics and PvP strategy in GW1 I doubt he’s making it up.

Leaves and Embers - a fan written GW2 novel (complete!)
Servants of Fortuna [SoF] - We serve fortuna; may she grant us a smile.

in Ranger

Posted by: kharza.3974

kharza.3974

100% to crit when in stealth and attacking doesn’t break stealth. Trust me it is one of the best pets around for burst dmg.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kashak.6012

Kashak.6012

Best pet for melee rangers. Huge crit burst.

in Ranger

Posted by: Arrys.7145

Arrys.7145

Heylo, My experience is jaguar shreds things and is very helpful. I just wanted to point out a pve solo use of stealth I sometimes use.

PvP as a focused pet is toast 6 seconds of stealth on your pet while it keeps doing damage is great. It’s CD’s aren’t bad either.

Arrys Shaikin
OoS
A whittling ranger becomes viable by forcing his opponent to whittle

in Ranger

Posted by: Mox.2861

Mox.2861

Jaguar stealth is also very useful in PvP since enemy players also cannot see your pet while stealth. This can be a pretty big deal because they may see that I am far away out of line of sight, and not realize they are going to be taking some nasty scratches.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jushiohara.9140

Jushiohara.9140

I use my Jag when I’m pulling. Stealth it over and smack some one. Its fun =3

The Sylvari Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

I use the Jaguar as my primary DPS pet and Black Bear as off pet for tanking. For some reason I can not pull threat off my black bear at all, even when I pop QZ. Plus its F2 ability is nice.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

After some testing, I does indeed seem that the Jaguar get a 100% critical chance when it’s in stealth. Very interesting.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

I’ve been using the pet for a while I use him by sending him after someone hiding next to a group of players and pop stealth right when he gets there.. Then watch as he shreds people while invisible.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos