What stats should I use as Ranger?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

So I finally reached level 80 on my Ranger. And so comes on the inevitable question: What stats should I be using on my armor?

The weaponsets I have most in mind to use are Sword/Dagger and Sword/Warhorn for close range and Longbow, and Shortbow for long range.

I was thinking of Berserker’s armor with Ruby orbs with Knight’s accessories.

Problem is, even with a full set of Knight’s accessories, I am worried I am still too squishy? Furthermore, are there other stat combos I should be looking into, such as condition damage? Thanks!

in Ranger

Posted by: Nashaan.3160

Nashaan.3160

I have full Rampager’s (power/ prec/ cond dmg) on my ranger, armour, weapons & jewellry and I have no trouble staying alive, but then I don’t melee so its not really comparable.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Is condition damage on the ranger himself really worth specing in though? They all seem to have such short durations..

Also, how much toughness is the average needed from a Ranger to be considered “decent”?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sleepy.2647

Sleepy.2647

Depends on what you want to do, Dungeons, WvW, etc.

Honestly, condition ranger is bad for Dungeons and Rampager is also bad for PvP since you’ll be glass cannon.

The toughness needed depends again on what are you going to do, and in PvE it also depends on how good are you at dodging. Most of the time i have no issues in PvE running full berseker build but in PvP for 1v1 ranger is really better with a tanky “bunker” build.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Condition damage is definitely worth speccing, most ranger weapons rely on it for damage output. And I disagree that it’s bad for dungeons, a good condition build requires lots of points in Wilderness Survival for the condition damage increase, and that trait line also gives you increased toughness which is really handy in dungeons and sPvP.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Sleepy.2647

Sleepy.2647

I have a full set sitting on my bank.
It requires a lot of positioning to still do subpar DPS compared to a power/crit build and most of the time you won’t be flanking which is completely the only decent damage source for a condition build.

I’ve tried condition and power builds in Dungeons, and i have to say conditions are a joke and don’t fit well into a team that already has other classes using conditions.

For PvP conditions are good, tho not rampager because it’s glass cannon and that in PvP is not good…you need to be more tanky.

(edited by Sleepy.2647)

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarlack.4096

Sarlack.4096

You can always use Karma to buy a full P/T/V Armor (only legs need dungeon runs, Ascolonian IIRC) and use Knights Jewelry then season to taste with spec/weapon/orbs and Sigils

My Ranger is at 2000 Toughness/3000 Armor with Attack ~ 3100 and Crit Dam ~43% using above gear setup, Crit rate is a little low but when I use Nourishment (Master Maintenance Oil/Curry Butternut Squash Soup) Crit rate becomes respectable (46% or so) and Crit Damage goes to 53%

…though I have recently bought an Emerald Pendant and 2 x Nightmare Coils which give me P/T/V…not going more tanky but it allows me more spec flexibility without losing survival

in Ranger

Posted by: Nashaan.3160

Nashaan.3160

<snip>

Honestly, condition ranger is bad for Dungeons and Rampager is also bad for PvP since you’ll be glass cannon.

<snip>

I don’t pvp on my ranger … pets are next to useless unless the enemy is standing still, we have no burst damage to finish anyone off and bow shots miss to frequently (altho that apparantly will be improved upon on Friday – altho that remains to be seen, I stopped holding my breath for ranger improvements, it saves on disappointment on patch days lol)