What the Ranger Needs

What the Ranger Needs

in Ranger

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Preparations.

I know that Ranger can be very effective as it is but it lacks the wide variety of possiblities that classes like the Engineer enjoy. What I’m suggesting is a series of skills that will help develop a new way to play the Ranger.

I know that Anet is reworking the Ranger to a certain degree to add more build viability to them but I’m actually thinking, just adding a subset of skills under the header of Preparation would open up a lot of new builds.

For instance, I was thinking of a Preparation version of splinter shot, where all your next 5 arrows deal 25% less damage but break up into 5 projectiles mid-flight or an alternate version would be, your next 5 attacks break apart when they hit a target dealing damage to nearby foes. Can only be used with bows.

I was also thinking about how this could play out for bow users and I imagined a scenario where a shortbow user would spam auto-attack on a target facing them only to hit another target with splinter shot from behind, inadvertently stacking bleeds on them.

Another preparation I thought of was Disrupting Accuracy; For 30 seconds you have a 15% chance to daze and your pet has a 30% chance to cause 1 second of confusion. If your target has confusion, your chance to cause daze becomes 30%.

I wasn’t planning this but this preparation would allow traits like Moment of Clarity to come into the limelight. So yea, it would be pretty cool to see that.

Another Preparation that I thought would be pretty cool is; Mis-fire, your next 5 attacks miss but your target becomes confused. Confusion lasts for 5 seconds. Synergizing with the preparation above.

I’m pretty sure there are other cool types of preparations the guys at Anet could come up with but these are the ones that I’d definitely like to see or at least I’d like to see something more well thought-out than this.

So, tell me your thoughts and what types of skills you would like to see.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

(edited by Dirame.8521)

What the Ranger Needs

in Ranger

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

I think that expecting Ranger to have variety of skills like Engineer is pointless as I don’t think it will ever happen. That is engineers forte and design. Our toolbelt actually changes and is not as boring and static like it is for other classes (10x more fun than warrior/mesmer etc F1+ skills)

I will report thread to be moved to ranger sub forum because quite frankly i think you will receive there more feedback and this thread will not drop from 1st page as fast.

What the Ranger Needs

in Ranger

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

That Daze would be far too powerful the way you describe it. I would like to see some sort of boomerang arrow or thrown dagger to work somewhat like Magic Bullet mesmer has but with a unique Ranger twist. It could daze 3 targets it hits for like 2 seconds and cause your next pet attack to apply 3 stacks of confusion for 3sec

What the Ranger Needs

in Ranger

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

I wasn’t really expecting them to recreate the same level of options that the Engineer has, just something close to it. The Ranger really lacks build variety and anything greater than what it has now would be great.

With regards to Disrupting Accuracy, I think adding an internal cooldown, like everything else in GW2, could stop it from seeming too OP. For instance, every time a daze occurs you can’t daze for another 5 seconds or something like that.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

What the Ranger Needs

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

The reason Engineers have so many option is becuase they only have 4 weapon (Having the least amount of any class) choices so this is made up in other ways.

While rangers have a great many Choices and combinations.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weapon.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

What the Ranger Needs

in Ranger

Posted by: Lert.6287

Lert.6287

The thing ranger is really lacking of is mobility and basic things like: applying odd boons, curing condition in different way and breaking stun.

Engineer / Piken Square
Former Team Psy [Psy] member/ [BNF] guest
YT Channel

What the Ranger Needs

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

a proper stun/daze trap, and some more useful trait-skills…. the trait skills that make any significant difference to the class comes at too high of a price. Especially if you intend to maximize the efficiency of a bow, but stay defensive.

The pet trait-skills also need some reworking. Their basically just a copy-pasta of some of the other skills, and quite frankly, it cost way too much to get any good bonus for the pets (IE; you need to spend in upwards of 20 trait points to get a good bonus for your pet, even if you are just looking for a slight boost to go alongside your other skills)

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU