Whats with the skill on sword

in Ranger

Posted by: Huxow.7259

Huxow.7259

Hornet Sting — Monarch Leap, its utter trash it just sits there it ruins a perfectly good spike if u use it needs to be reworked.

in Ranger

Posted by: achensherd.2735

achensherd.2735

I use it as an evade skill since it jumps you way back, and can jump you back in if you so choose, though even then I have to admit it’s somewhat lacking due to the delay after using Hornet Sting.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

This skill is a great skill. As mentioned it can be used as an evade. It can also be used as a movement skill. This skill isnt trash its your application.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: Yazkin.6179

Yazkin.6179

This skill is actually a prime for the sword as a Ranger. You aren’t heavy-armored, so evasion is a plus. I used Hornet Sting to either evade AoE, an oncoming attack, or to fall back and use a healing skill. Monarch Leap sets me back into battle with a few damage points on the enemy after i have healed/ set up troll urgent/ evaded. Combine with things like Lightning Reflexes; you are pretty much as (if not more) evasive than a thief using the dodge rolls.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante.3754

Dante.3754

I use it to create distance, with sword dagger you can hornet sting then throw the cripple dagger. When it comes to evade frames I’d put sword/dagger just slightly lower than death blossom spaming thieves, hornet sting evades on the leap back, serpent strike evades the entire time, and stalker strike also evades the entire time. Combine this with 50% endurance regen (only 5 trait points!) we have alot of invuln.

in Ranger

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

Not as good as the thief sword movement skill (unsurprisingly) but still good once you get used to it. In pvp it is very helpful for getting out of a jam. Trigger it to jump back, turn around and double click your screen to clear target then trigger the skill again to leap far forward (away from enemies). Use lightning reflexes before or after this and you should be setting up a good escape.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Not as good as the thief sword movement skill (unsurprisingly) but still good once you get used to it. In pvp it is very helpful for getting out of a jam. Trigger it to jump back, turn around and double click your screen to clear target then trigger the skill again to leap far forward (away from enemies). Use lightning reflexes before or after this and you should be setting up a good escape.

:O OMG, I never knew you could double click screen to cancel target. I always press Escape. This will make my life so much easier, thanks Yasha!

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

:O OMG, I never knew you could double click screen to cancel target. I always press Escape. This will make my life so much easier, thanks Yasha!

NP, I had the same issue for ages, and when you press escape it doesn’t always clear right? And then you spam escape and the options screen comes up, it was a nightmare. Thank god the double clicking works. Sometimes u will accidently click on a character, but it works more times than not, have fun!

in Ranger

Posted by: capuchinseven.8395

capuchinseven.8395

Yeah, it makes the skill very useful. I’ve mapped a key on my Noso keypad as esc so it’s easier to clear my target and make my get away when I need to. Once you get the hang of it it becomes a far better skill than the GS can offer.

The bravest animal in the land is Captain Beaky and his band.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Exactly! Nothing worse than seeing that options screen pop up when you’re trying to swoop for your life

Dang options screen, it’s so OP….

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

Does Hornet’s Sting actually count as an Evade?

The reason I ask is that I believe I’ve seen it pop up for me once or twice while using the ability; however, Sting’s “cast” is so slow that timing is tricky. Often times, I’ll end up taking a hit before I’ve leapt to safety. :\

P.S. I’m glad to see other Sword+Dagger fans out there!

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

in Ranger

Posted by: achensherd.2735

achensherd.2735

Does Hornet’s Sting actually count as an Evade?

The reason I ask is that I believe I’ve seen it pop up for me once or twice while using the ability; however, Sting’s “cast” is so slow that timing is tricky. Often times, I’ll end up taking a hit before I’ve leapt to safety. :\

P.S. I’m glad to see other Sword+Dagger fans out there!

That’s my minor gripe about it: unlike the other evades, it’s not “instantaneous”. There have been a couple of times I’d see an attack coming and activate Hornet’s Sting, expecting to evade back after throwing my bag of hornets at my target’s face. However, after activating Hornet’s Sting, my Ranger would just stand there for what feels like a second or two, just in time to get smashed, before finally and (at that point) pointlessly evading back.

It’s only a minor gripe, though, since it’s really just a timing thing, and one that can be learned and adapted to. Besides, as a Sword+Dagger Ranger, it’s not like we’re short on evades. :P