Where are all the sword rangers?

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

In a lot of ways, I feel like sword is the premier ranger weapon, being equally viable in Pve, spvp, and wvw. I’ve found longbow to be the most limiting weapon.

I like this and think of ranger more in terms of Aragorn or Indiana Jones. For example, I’d love to see a whip weapon added (it could pull people in etc) but that’s just a pipe dream.

I feel like a lot of rangers struggle because they feel pidgeonholed into using longbow. Please, experiment! Get some masterwork gear if you’re not stacked with gold and just give it a try. I remember being 300 hours into ranger and almost switching professions until I started to roll with sword so I implore you all to try it.

If you’ve already tried it and just want to complain about rooting etc don’t post here. This isn’t a thread for people who refuse to practice or look up solutions (turn off autoattack and autotargeting, etc).

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Tadayoshi.2815

Tadayoshi.2815

I think most of us already use the sword (or at least gave it a try). If I see a Ranger there are 2 major types. The new ones with longbow and some other random stuff and the ones with shortbow and sword + what ever, or axe + sword. Dunno if this is something special on the server I am one but I thinks that’s about it what I always see.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Astute observation. I get really nervous when a longbow/brown bear ranger joins us for a PUG dungeon.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Helequin.2608

Helequin.2608

I like the sword – although I do get tired of dealing with the Autoattack sometimes when I’m just running around in open world.

But yes, sword is both fun and very good compared to our other weapons. And it jives completely with my own vision of a ranger, which is very much the Tolkein one. About the only weakness I’ve found with a sword is when fighitng in confined spaces, narrow bridges and so on where the 2 and 3 will likely end sending you off an edge.

Incidently, I also like our GS for fun factor. I can wish for more damage, but it is much more engaging to use than guardian or warrior.

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

The only time I have ever used a one handed sword seriously was against subject alpha. Being able to dodge his AoE with weapon skills is quite nice. However, once your 2 (3 with a dagger offhand) dodges are up, and alpha drops an AoE in the middle of your auto chain, you’re kittened. This wouldn’t happen if you could simply cancel the sword auto with a dodge roll. But you can’t. There, I said it.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

Sword is only used by experienced rangers, which are a rare breed. Most people dont stick with the prof to appreciate having 2 evades on a low cd in addition to a disengage. 90% of sword users dont even bother to disable the autoattack.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

Sword is only used by experienced rangers, which are a rare breed. Most people dont stick with the prof to appreciate having 2 evades on a low cd in addition to a disengage. 90% of sword users dont even bother to disable the autoattack.

Funny thing about auto attacks. They’re where most of a weapon’s damage comes from. You’re severely hampering your own damage output by disabling the auto attack just so you can choose when you want to root yourself.

I can sort of see a reasoning behind disabling the greatsword’s auto attack, since the evade on the third hit is so useful, and maul should be spammed for damage as often as possible. But in the case of the one handed sword, the only attack you want to be spamming for damage is the auto attack.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: Idolicious.6091

Idolicious.6091

Sword is only used by experienced rangers

What a crock of —--.

And FYI, there’s plenty of reasons for certain Rangers not to want to engage themselves in melee combat/deal with crappy sword rooting/not being able to dodge when needed/etc.

Experienced Rangers…lulz.

in Ranger

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Berserker gear, Sword/Axe + Longbow here.

Melee is my primary, I only switch to range for quick bursts or very long ranges. In both cases the LB seems to work better than the SB.

The 2 extra evades, unfortunately, do not make you more dodgy. They allow you to sustain evasion longer, but two stages of the sword’s auto-attack can not be interrupted by either skill or a dodge roll. Even with auto-attack disabled (advisable, though it sucks that we have to) you still won’t be able to instantly dodge more than half the time you try to.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Funny thing about auto attacks. They’re where most of a weapon’s damage comes from. You’re severely hampering your own damage output by disabling the auto attack just so you can choose when you want to root yourself.

I can sort of see a reasoning behind disabling the greatsword’s auto attack, since the evade on the third hit is so useful, and maul should be spammed for damage as often as possible. But in the case of the one handed sword, the only attack you want to be spamming for damage is the auto attack.

Its where most of the damage comes from if you’re Power/Crit based

If not, its not really super amazing damage

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

I said where most of the weapon’s damage comes from not where most of the ranger’s damage comes from. Yes, you lose less damage if you’re running a bunker or condition based build, but you’re still losing potential damage. It should never be necessary to gimp your own damage just to “fix” a problem that is inherent to your weapon.

The sword’s auto attack chain needs to be addressed. If it worked properly, the sword would easily be the ranger’s best main hand weapon.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

I said where most of the weapon’s damage comes from not where most of the ranger’s damage comes from. Yes, you lose less damage if you’re running a bunker or condition based build, but you’re still losing potential damage. It should never be necessary to gimp your own damage just to “fix” a problem that is inherent to your weapon.

The sword’s auto attack chain needs to be addressed. If it worked properly, the sword would easily be the ranger’s best main hand weapon.

I generally don’t auto attack a whole lot with sword, Except if i’m needing to catch a target.

I try and follow the pattern of Throw dagger/evade chains then switch to Axe/Torch.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

In a lot of ways, I feel like sword is the premier ranger weapon, being equally viable in Pve, spvp, and wvw. I’ve found longbow to be the most limiting weapon.

I like this and think of ranger more in terms of Aragorn or Indiana Jones. For example, I’d love to see a whip weapon added (it could pull people in etc) but that’s just a pipe dream.

I feel like a lot of rangers struggle because they feel pidgeonholed into using longbow. Please, experiment! Get some masterwork gear if you’re not stacked with gold and just give it a try. I remember being 300 hours into ranger and almost switching professions until I started to roll with sword so I implore you all to try it.

If you’ve already tried it and just want to complain about rooting etc don’t post here. This isn’t a thread for people who refuse to practice or look up solutions (turn off autoattack and autotargeting, etc).

Oh what I would give and how many people I’d sac for a 1h whip to accompany my warhorn….

On topic now! I use the sword, but it’s my off set, I tend to stick to my axe/bow until I can no longer keep the gap open, then I drop the bow and pick up the blade and go to town!!

I don’t use that silly auto attack or auto targeting nonsense, so I enjoy the full amazingness that is the sword =D!

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: TheGreatA.4192

TheGreatA.4192

Here’s one. It goes well with the longbow as skill #2 creates a fair amount of distance between you and the opponent. Autotargeting has to be off though for it to work.

The autoattack is a bit uncontrollable but with quickness it can melt down a glass thief in mere seconds. Best not stand next to a cliff though when it starts going crazy.

Metsän Suojelija (guard)/Puun Halaaja (engi)/Pieni Musta Rotta (warrior)/Viher Rauha (necro)

(edited by TheGreatA.4192)

in Ranger

Posted by: StoneWolf.7930

StoneWolf.7930

sword ranger with 30bm and a jaguar pet will give you the most dps, and with a total of 4 evades/dodges, you’;ll survive pretty kitten well.
I still cannot believe how people still use a longbow only with bear pets running 30/30/x/x/x. and yet they still claim to have great dps, it’s just shocking.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nugget.8031

Nugget.8031

Turning off the auto attack doesn’t hamper you dps, you can still spam the attack manually. All it does is let control your dodges better.

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

sword ranger with 30bm and a jaguar pet will give you the most dps, and with a total of 4 evades/dodges, you’;ll survive pretty kitten well.
I still cannot believe how people still use a longbow only with bear pets running 30/30/x/x/x. and yet they still claim to have great dps, it’s just shocking.

Not sure why anyone runs 30/30/x/x/x period.

20/20 sure……

and I suppose 30/20 might be ok, But going 30 in skirmishing for anything but Trap Build seems like a waste.

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

Sword like the gs is a defensive utility weapon. Autoattacking will get you killed because the animations are so long. There is no evade on the third hit of #1. You should autoattack only if youre not being attacked yourself, for example when crippling a runner for your mates.

If youre power/crit based you should be doing your dps mostly with the SB otherwise youre doing it wrong. This is why im saying the sword is appealing only to those with a bit of experience. It’s a supplemental dps weapon mostly a utility one, something that people dont understand. Gs is the same.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

(edited by nerva.7940)

in Ranger

StoneWolf.7930

i actually ran 20/20/0/0/30 for the pet crit damage +healing.
but now i figured 15/25/0/0/30 is better since i get +20%damage if i flank(not hard using #3 from sword) and +30%crit for my pet

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

I run 20/20/0/0/30 with Longbow/Shortbow usually when I do Glass Cannon for kittens and giggles.

I find it works fairly decently (though I miss the endurance regen from Wilderness)

Its good for zerg surfing.

i still wanna figure out a way to get Axe/Axe to work.

in Ranger

StoneWolf.7930

sadly even in condition builds it’s still meh.

but 20/20/0/0/30 with magi gear/ +signet of the wild=pretty kitten good survivability

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

but 20/20/0/0/30 with magi gear/ +signet of the wild=pretty kitten good survivability

Magi this, magi that. Magi gear is terrible. If you’re going to stack healing power, cleric’s gear is much better.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

Clerics+Magi might work decently.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarcasmic.6741

Sarcasmic.6741

Not sure why anyone runs 30/30/x/x/x period.

20/20 sure……

and I suppose 30/20 might be ok, But going 30 in skirmishing for anything but Trap Build seems like a waste.

You 30 in Skirmishing because that’s the crit damage trait line, which conveniently enough actually comes along with precision (I’m looking at you Guardian). 10% crit damage alone is better than any single major trait Ranger has in any trait line (obviously assuming direct damage is your goal).

Same applies to any profession building for damage. Incorporate the crit damage trait line as much as possible.

30/30/x/x/x builds are so common because they’re efficient at what they do. They maximize the reliable, albeit sub par, damage that comes directly from the Ranger. With the pets being as situationally kitten as they are, it’s better to build what you can depend on, and make due with what you can’t.

Stace (Lv 80 human quickness portal bot) | Sarcasmic (Lv 80 elixir-drunk norn pyro)
Saladtha (Lv 80 salad sidekick to bears) | Dunelle (Lv 80 eviscerating muppet)
Karmell (Lv 80 human might dispenser) | Vast says hi~.

in Ranger

StoneWolf.7930

Magi this, magi that. Magi gear is terrible. If you’re going to stack healing power, cleric’s gear is much better.
[/quote]

so how is magi bad? P/t/hp or prec/hp/v
i prefer magi for the precision, i pull off 1600damage on my sword consistently, with enough evades and hp to keep myself alive.

and as for 30/30/x/x/x builds, completely ignoring the pet also reduces damage done. i dont see a non bm jaguar pushing 6kcrits+2kauto attacks. especially with QZ, considering i can stack6+stacks of might on it easily

using 15/25/0/0/30 i can get 20%damage just for flanking and having full endurance, that’s also not counting food/nurishmentsigils. at that rate i can push +40%damage with5x-8x crit damage dependant on what i use for my earrings and such

(edited by StoneWolf.7930)

in Ranger

Posted by: Strzalka.9451

Strzalka.9451

I’ve recently started using Sword in sPvP and am having a blast worth it. Still tweaking the build.

I also have been using sword in dungeons because I play a tank/support build and am always in melee range, the sword/dagger is excellent for the free evades for so many bosses.

Diabel Zwierze/Ranger
80’s – Necro/War/Ele/Guard

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

It’s great in PvP and for solo PvE, but in dungeons, sadly, it either requires you to be super squishy to get the same dps or requires you to spend a lot of stats on survival. =(

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Magi is actually really strong if you can get a full set of it, the reason for this is because all of your attacks pretty much crit, which does AT LEAST 150% of the damage it would do, if you have 30 in skirmishing than you have 180%, then you can get sigils and that to proc effects, etc etc etc.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Hryssar.5029

Hryssar.5029

Usually rock sword and axe. Wanting to go into with a greatsword as being the noob I am. I didn’t know auto attack could be disabled.
But one thing to look at is also…what the hell is the point of a torch! I could never get into that blasted thing. Or an axe mainhand. Shudders
Greatsword kinda has those higher hitting numbers that are nice. But maybe when I look into being able to be Buff-Man! And rock out with a couple spirits, and healing. Could ignore anything that isn’t a one shot then.

in Ranger

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

^Torch is your strongest offhand DPS-wise, even with 0 condition damage.
Also, if Sword ever allows movent and dodge between (#1) attacks, it would become even better than it is. I’m all for it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Othayuni.7369

Othayuni.7369

Man so much trouble with sword 1. I am mainly a pvper so disabling auto and only mashing 1 when I’m going for the throat works great for me. Is it more of a pain to work with in dungeons? I could see how it might be if you wanted to be damaging more constantly.

in Ranger

Posted by: kesuh.3891

kesuh.3891

You asked for a Ranger with sword? And here I am^.^
30/0/30/15/0 and if anyone asks why no points in traits for pet? because I run in fractals and pet is useless most of the time. It also works in dungeons. I got tired of the pets got one shotted by AoE even almost full bm trait.

@Othayuni, one handed sword works perfect for some, but it takes time to master. I have seen several rangers try my build and failed instantly.. It takes practice with 1handed sword, but when you learn how to use it. Its one of the best^^

On some bosses in PvE I would not advice people go into melee range, but it works great when it is possible to use it

[keen] Far Shiverpeaks Eu-server
Sorel→~Saga/Ranger~Shadow/Guardian~Balthazor/Warrior

(edited by kesuh.3891)

in Ranger

Posted by: kesuh.3891

kesuh.3891

Usually rock sword and axe. Wanting to go into with a greatsword as being the noob I am. I didn’t know auto attack could be disabled.
But one thing to look at is also…what the hell is the point of a torch! I could never get into that blasted thing. Or an axe mainhand. Shudders
Greatsword kinda has those higher hitting numbers that are nice. But maybe when I look into being able to be Buff-Man! And rock out with a couple spirits, and healing. Could ignore anything that isn’t a one shot then.

Remember you got auto evade on you greatsword if you auto attack with skill 1. It causes evasion

[keen] Far Shiverpeaks Eu-server
Sorel→~Saga/Ranger~Shadow/Guardian~Balthazor/Warrior

in Ranger

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

Eh, I’ve always been a Greatsword Ranger myself. Which may be less so because I’ve found it useful (my original build was a spirits unbound support… Yes in melee.) and more because it is extremely satisfying to smash some guy in the face with a Tyrian Zweihander.

Recently however I’ve been messing with my build and I have started to love the offhand axe. Since the fifth ability is only extremely effective in melee, it would just seem wrong to wield axe/axe. So, lately I’ve been experimenting with the sword and love it, if only for how much stronger it makes my pet.

As for ranged weaponry… Axes bounce on basic attacks. Basic attacks bouncing means multitargetting ranged attacks. Yes I do enjoy double hitting some guy because his friend was nearby and yes, triple hitting dragons is extremely helpful. The shortbow is entertaining but the damage is split between bleeding and attacks, the longbow doesn’t synergise well with melee.

But I suppose the most important topic raised by this thread… I’m glad I’m not the only one who wants to see a whip weapon added. It would tie in nicely with Cantha as well, since a chain whip is actually a fairly scary and real assassination weapon.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

(edited by HotHit.6783)

in Ranger

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

i use the sword for lack of a better weapon. it’s annoying as hell to use. it isn’t even the root, but the fact that it sucks you back when you try to leave.

you can’t simply run away from an enemy like you can with other weapons because it leaps you back at them over and over. even dodging fails a lot of the time. it’s really annoying imo.

it needs to be fixed because as it is now the best way to break the attack is skill 2 and that’s just bogus.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

Magi is actually really strong if you can get a full set of it, the reason for this is because all of your attacks pretty much crit, which does AT LEAST 150% of the damage it would do, if you have 30 in skirmishing than you have 180%, then you can get sigils and that to proc effects, etc etc etc.

At one point I thought of making a Clerics/Magi power/precision set for my Ranger, but basically figured I already have apothecary, the build wouldn’t change that much except i’d be auto attacking more vs applying conditions.

in Ranger

Posted by: Linkisdead.9647

Linkisdead.9647

I’ve used shortbow + sword/torch for at least 40 levels now.

Sword is easily our best weapon IMO. It’s easily the most viable in wvw. If you don’t have anyone targeted the sword alone can be used for 3 dodges. I often escape zergs because of this skill, combined with lightning reflexes you can be a real pain to fight.

I’ve still never even come close to losing to a longbow ranger. Everytime its the same thing:
They pull that lame AOE that I don’t even bother to dodge because it does nothing to my HP
They try the knockback but its transferred to my pet
I evade the barrage
And I’m in your face now
Game Over, stomped.

Anyone not using a sword in wvw is not maximizing their class.

Sig
[sYn] Borlis Pass

in Ranger

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

Honestly? I just don’t like sword. I keep thinking that #2 is a leap forward, not a leap backwards then forward, and #1 makes me stick on targets but doesn’t let me get to targets easily. I do like #3 though.

I would never say it’s bad though. It has a lot of really good tools in it, but I think it just works slightly backwards of what I expect.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

in Ranger

Posted by: Boreal.9826

Boreal.9826

Really, the sword root thing isn’t bad once you get used to it. I honestly think you do reduce DPS by disabling auto-attack, unless you spam 1 constantly – which I hate to do. With the root thing you just have to be careful about fighting near ledges, ramps, etc.

I’ve been running sword/dagger and axe/torch for a long time. It is an amazing combo, especially once you get some respectable condition damage. I also use Off-hand Training and Martial Mastery (switch the latter to Empathic Bond for WvW) in WS which gives a nice boost to torch DPS (more burn uptime) and sword/dagger evades.

You can tank amazingly well, be it fractal/dungeon bosses, WvW thieves or whatever, with so many evades on short cooldown. (of course, 0/0/30/10/30 with a toughness/regen build and about 1200 healing power helps) I enjoy dropping the torch AoE + splitblade, then going to town with sword/dagger.

This flavor of Ranger is a lot of fun.

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

i use the sword for lack of a better weapon. it’s annoying as hell to use. it isn’t even the root, but the fact that it sucks you back when you try to leave.

you can’t simply run away from an enemy like you can with other weapons because it leaps you back at them over and over. even dodging fails a lot of the time. it’s really annoying imo.

Just turn off autotarget and click the ground (which removes your target) before you run away. Esc works too but pops up the menu. Someone else also suggested binding sheathe weapons to a key.

Having autotarget off hurts a bit with the bows, but it’s not that hard to hit tab to pick up a target.

in Ranger

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

Hmm, I think I could try 20/20/0/0/30 build. I think I can’t live without piercing arrows, since I do use SB quite a lot. I have full Berserker gear but it hasn’t been a problem so I don’t think it will be bad in this build. I play mostly dungeons and openworld PvE (dragon events, Temple events… stuff like that) but I do wonder off to wvw once in a while.

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

in Ranger

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Just turn off autotarget and click the ground (which removes your target) before you run away. Esc works too but pops up the menu. Someone else also suggested binding sheathe weapons to a key.

Having autotarget off hurts a bit with the bows, but it’s not that hard to hit tab to pick up a target.

This^
Nerver ever have autotarget ON, on any kind of PvP, with any class.

in Ranger

Posted by: Boreal.9826

Boreal.9826

This^
Nerver ever have autotarget ON, on any kind of PvP, with any class.

Yes! With autotarget on, when trying to escape via GS or Sword (or Snow Leopard form for that matter) you will instead rush toward the nearest enemy. And then die a miserable death. Same thing when forgetting to clear your target first.

Rangers are one of the better escape artists in the game with on demand condition removal (SoR), GS and/or Sword leaps on relatively short cooldowns.

I’m a Norn, and never solo roam without Snow Leopard form. It has saved me countless times, along with netting me kills on those foolish enough to come look for me on their own.

in Ranger

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

yeah i know there’s ways around it, but it still feels like fighting a broken mechanic. i like that it has a small leap, but coupled with the root it is just too much.

also does not having auto target stop the terrible ADD targeting system from switching if you turn a milimeter in another direction?

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Ranger

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

LB sword/dagger here i dont know if its efficient or the best at xxx but its fun i love going yoda on mobs

fill the mob full of arrows as it runs up swap to sword and dagger, Superior Sigil of Rage, Zephyr’s Speed, Quickening Zephyr who needs to dodge

Ulfar SOR

in Ranger

Posted by: achensherd.2735

achensherd.2735

I’m cool with everything about the sword (even the rooting), but the seemingly random pouncing in #1 has routinely sent me kicking and screaming off ledges and has gotten me killed more than rooting ever has, and that’s with both auto-attacking and auto-targeting disabled. Once I can figure out how to get that under control, the sword would be perfect for me, if only as a purely defensive/control weapon for my build.

in Ranger

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

I’m cool with everything about the sword (even the rooting), but the seemingly random pouncing in #1 has routinely sent me kicking and screaming off ledges and has gotten me killed more than rooting ever has, .

Lol have an 80 thief i deathblossomed to my doom so many times i now have a pretty good aversion to fighting any where near a cliff

Ulfar SOR

in Ranger

Posted by: Leaf.3156

Leaf.3156

The sword rangers couldn’t make it to this thread because they kept getting pulled back to their attack target.

in Ranger

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Ralph Wiggum also tried running sword ranger.

All is vain.

in Ranger

Posted by: kidbs.8920

kidbs.8920

Out of curiosity are any of you sword rangers trying to melee Giganticus Lupicus in Arah or are you switching to ranged for that fight?

SoR – Nethernoz (Necro), Zealot of Pain (Guardian), William The Butcher (Ranger)