Whirling Defense

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: Furajir.3815

Furajir.3815

Do you guys think we should be able to move during the duration of this skill? I don’t even mind if the Retal was removed, standing still kinda sucks. I still love the OH Axe for my power build but….

Tupro-Ranger- “The Great White Hype”
Yak’s Bend(TWIN) Racist against Sylvari
RRR Ranger and Warrior videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ElmoezHerra?feature=watch

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Absolutely. I’ve requested this about a dozen times. We are too squishy a class to be locked in place.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

I don’t. If Anet were to allow it to move, they would gut it down to be a reflecting dreidel. Warriors would complain it’s better than their spin-to-win, and Thieves would complain that it’s better than Dagger Storm – in all aspects (cooldown, damage, and reflect radius).

Give Rangers something nice and it will be nerfed in trade twice over. No thanks. I’ll take Whirling Defense as is.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

I don’t. If Anet were to allow it to move, they would gut it down to be a reflecting dreidel. Warriors would complain it’s better than their spin-to-win, and Thieves would complain that it’s better than Dagger Storm – in all aspects (cooldown, damage, and reflect radius).

Give Rangers something nice and it will be nerfed in trade twice over. No thanks. I’ll take Whirling Defense as is.

It’s sad that you are 100% right….
There is no way they would improve it without nerfing the kitten out of it in a hot minute.

LGN

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Should go make a thread about pets I’d like to see added to game?

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Whirling defense hits like a TRUCK. Im talking when buffed upwards of 16-17k damage in a marauder amulet against things like eles. Edit: Ty Quark for the correction

Being able to chase someone while moving with that skill WOULD make it over powered. Edited in result to my later post: Or atleast it WOULD if active defense wasn’t handed out like candy with every elite specialization. It would be overpowered in the old GW2. But as it is now it would fit the bill most likely. Its possible however that it would just be another form of power creep. Which I am leery of.

Axe off hand I really dont feel needs buffs. What I feel DOES need buffs is the sword movement skills. To make them more reliable movement or evade skills (pick one). That would buff axe offhand by proxy.

Ghost Yak

(edited by Shadelang.3012)

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Whirling defense hits like a TRUCK. Im talking when buffed upwards of 16-17k dps in a marauder amulet against things like eles.

Being able to chase someone while moving with that skill WOULD make it over powered.

Axe off hand I really dont feel needs buffs. What I feel DOES need buffs is the sword movement skills. To make them more reliable movement or evade skills (pick one). That would buff axe offhand by proxy.

Really. In PvE, I get around 3k DPS. Perhaps you’re referring to the total damage over the duration of the skill?

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Whirling defense hits like a TRUCK. Im talking when buffed upwards of 16-17k dps in a marauder amulet against things like eles.

Being able to chase someone while moving with that skill WOULD make it over powered.

Really. In PvE, I get around 3k DPS. Perhaps you’re referring to the total damage over the duration of the skill?

Yes my fault their I meant damage instead of dps haha. The point is still valid though atleast from a PvP perspective.

Edit: this is specifically reffering to the quickness on pet swap proc +whirling defense. Which does enough damage to kill kitten near anything aside from a reaper that stands in melee range without poppin and invuln of some kind.

Edit 2: hmm on that thought. Its possible it wouldn’t be as over powered as I originally thought. Their is enough active defense on other classes that its actually quite possible to stand in whirling defense despite its fairly high pressure (When its buffed). I take back my previous comment. Ill give it more thought and reply again later once ive thought it through more clearly.

Ghost Yak

(edited by Shadelang.3012)

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

Frankly, this is what i’de like to see.

-Damage reduced by 75%
-Duration increased by 100%
-Vulnerability will be applied to projectiles reflected not physical damage from itself.

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Justine.6351

-Damage reduced by 75%
-Vulnerability will be applied to projectiles reflected not physical damage from itself.

yeah cause no dmg and a duration that you are forced to cancel animation out of every time makes for an amazing skill. But on the positive side it might apply a couple stacks of vulnerability.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

-Damage reduced by 75%

No. Bad idea, every single point. I dont understand your reasoning. At all.

Two thumbs down, go back to the drawing board.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: Lalainnia.3598

Lalainnia.3598

It’s fine it hits very hard like someone else mentioned and it’s not that difficult to get it to sit on a target with all the variious forms of CC ranger/druid have access to. Leave it be rangers/druids honest focus on improvement should be 100% on pets imo.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

While moving would be nice with whirling defense any talk of removing damage in favor of moving is insane. Sword has already taken a hit on this front and you want to totally kill s/a.

Ranger is already coming up short in damage both in power and condi (less so) damage. You can try to argue that Ranger damage is subpar due to the buffs yet, other class can pump out might, fury, quickness and other damage buffs to the group without suffering like rangers.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

UnitedChaos.8364

-Damage reduced by 75%

yeah cause no dmg and a duration that you are forced to cancel animation out of every time makes for an amazing skill. But on the positive side it might apply a couple stacks of vulnerability.

-Damage reduced by 75%

If either of you had ever played wvw…

Step 1: SotP / Signet of the Wild (for stability)
Step 2: Leap into zerg (gs: swoop or staff: ancestral grace)
Step 3: Signet of Stone
Step 4: Whirling Defenses
Step 5: Profit on all the tags.

Increasing the duration would only improve the amount of tags / reflections done. There is no greater feeling than defending stonemist and leaping into one of the hallways while an entire zerg tries to shoot down it and reflecting all the damage.

(Retaliation and Projectile Reflections ftw.)

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

-Damage reduced by 75%

-Damage reduced by 75%

Increasing the duration would only improve the amount of tags / reflections done. There is no greater feeling than defending stonemist and leaping into one of the hallways while an entire zerg tries to shoot down it and reflecting all the damage.

You want to sacrifice damage so you can tag more people in a blob fight?…..
Why not just reroll as a loot stick guardian and live out your dream?

LGN

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

UnitedChaos.8364

-Damage reduced by 75%

-Damage reduced by 75%

I’m willing to wager that
+5 seconds of projectile reflection
+5 seconds of retaliation
+5 seconds of whirl finisher
Even with 0 physical damage would be much, much, much more viable than it is currently. Consider in pvp contesting a point with such a large whirl finisher. Oh, did I mention it’s only a 25s cd.

Ya’ll just want a copy of dagger storm.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: BordeL.1283

BordeL.1283

-Damage reduced by 75%

-Damage reduced by 75%

Wait Wait Wait. You’re

1: burning off two high cooldowns signets or a signet and elite,
2: burning off your possible evade route on staff or GS by leaping in while also putting your swap on cooldown,
3: putting yourself in the front (or middle thereof) of a vast AoE / condition storm

just to pull off a WD? I hope you got a good commander pushing that exact instant on your back because that’s hella risky.

Of course I am french, why do you think i have this outrageous accent? Now go away, or I shall taunt
you a second time!

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

There is so much wrong here that I’m glad the Devs don’t often browse our forums.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Justine.6351

-Damage reduced by 75%

-Damage reduced by 75%

Ahahahha

Yes I want to take my ranger into the middle of a blob and then stand still for 6sec and then stand at spawn crying at map for not pushing. On the bright side I will probably get 5-10 loot bags while standing at repair NPC.

No offense to ranger forums but I learned long ago that in wvw:
Ranger for roaming
Everything else for zerging

If rangers are whirling axes as some new trick in the middle of a blob I can truely understand why rangers are laughed at.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

UnitedChaos.8364

-Damage reduced by 75%

-Damage reduced by 75%

Ahahahha

Yes I want to take my ranger into the middle of a blob and then stand still for 6sec and then stand at spawn crying at map for not pushing. On the bright side I will probably get 5-10 loot bags while standing at repair NPC.

Ranger for roaming

If rangers are whirling axes as some new trick in the middle of a blob I can truely understand why rangers are laughed at.

Yup. That’s me. Just deliberately afk once casted because, welp, im a Ranger pleb. (Dripping in sarcasm)

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Justine.6351

-Damage reduced by 75%

-Damage reduced by 75%

Ahahahha

Ranger for roaming

Yup. That’s me. Just deliberately afk once casted because, welp, im a Ranger pleb. (Dripping in sarcasm)

You might aswell be afk since you cannot perform any actions other than instant cast utilities and maybe tell your brown bear to cast cleanse which you will need or you will insta melt.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

-Damage reduced by 75%

-Damage reduced by 75%

I’m willing to wager that
+5 seconds of projectile reflection
+5 seconds of retaliation
+5 seconds of whirl finisher
Even with 0 physical damage would be much, much, much more viable than it is currently. Consider in pvp contesting a point with such a large whirl finisher. Oh, did I mention it’s only a 25s cd.

Ya’ll just want a copy of dagger storm.

This skill is the reason i am playing ranger in pvp, do not touch the damage, it don’t need a buff or a nerf, just keep what it is now, instead, it is axe 4 that could use some buff, bigger aoe area and faster pre cast.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

There is so much wrong here that I’m glad the Devs don’t often browse our forums.

Is a place next to you still vacant?
<sips coffee>

“Observe, learn and counter.”

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: bloodpyrope.8630

bloodpyrope.8630

I’m so glad they changed the way rallying worked in WvW now.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

It needed movement or damage and they gave it damage. I think it’s fine as-is now. If I were going to change anything it would be replacing the retal with some bleeding so as to make it play nicer with condi builds.

downed state is bad for PVP

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

It needed movement or damage and they gave it damage. I think it’s fine as-is now. If I were going to change anything it would be replacing the retal with some bleeding so as to make it play nicer with condi builds.

Replacing the retaliation with stability would make me use it more. It’s too prone to CC, and in order to pull it off successfully, you need to blow a utility/elite with a long cooldown.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I agree, retaliation is worthless on this skill.

I don’t even think movement on WD would be OP, because unlike all other reflects this one is tied to your character channeling your skill, in which time you are not doing any attack damage besides this one, so don’t think its DPS is huge.

People are just used to ranger pathetic damage numbers and think WD damage is big when it’s a somewhat weaker 100 Blades.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

Unless they allow us to move when using WD, give us stability while channeling. Me and others have suggested this before. Pretty much for the same reasons we have stability on CA#5.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Justine.6351

Unless they allow us to move when using WD, give us stability while channeling. Me and others have suggested this before. Pretty much for the same reasons we have stability on CA#5.

so use a stability skill?

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

Sure thing clever dude.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Justine.6351

Sure thing clever dude.

It’s not clever, its what everyone else who uses a channel ability has to do or risk being interrupted.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

I tried but then I got interrupted.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Justine.6351

Use a stun break then try again naturally !

I swapped entangle for SotP recently and good grief, that skill is soooo slow to cast, I feel naked.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

I swapped entangle for SotP recently and good grief, that skill is soooo slow to cast, I feel naked.

But you can’t recast it for several seconds after you had it interrupted, you know.
And it can sill get interrupted even after using a stun-break.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Justine.6351

But you can’t recast it for several seconds after you had it interrupted, you know.
And it can sill get interrupted even after using a stun-break.

I know.
We all know.

Whirling Defense

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

My reaper has the same problem sometimes.

-BnooMaGoo.5690