Why Wolf's Terrifying Howl so unresponsive ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Krispera.5087

Krispera.5087

Q:

After 4 years… How many time I could have saved stomps or have a clutch moment, only to see my wolf do nothing despite spamming F2 like a mad man.

It’s not the only pet either.

ps : title too long, left a word.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

A:

You have to be careful of a couple things. It will howl at a target, so if you’ve got a guy 2000 units away selected, it’ll run off and try to howl at that guy. The other thing you have to be careful is to not interrupt your own wolf. Like if you’re spamming F2 and hit attack or recall the pet to reposition, it’ll put the howl on a short cool down.

The surest way to get it to go off where you want it is to have no target selected and hit only F2, it should go off right where the wolf currently is with no hitch. Well the final hitch is that it is a big tell, so someone else might interrupt it.

in Ranger

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

The wolf will only howl if the enemy is within range of the skill. The above post covered the basics. If you’re having a problem with howl, 1/2 the time you’re not in range and the other 1/2 the time it’s on recharge.

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

in Ranger

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

I’m affraid that the answer is because pets follow the same design as necromancer but with a very bad AI on top of this design.

Long cast time skill coupled with a stupid AI that constantly try to cast pet’s utility skills on which you got absolutely no say to. This lead to unnecessary delay on the responsivness of pets. It’s like if you were an elementalist that want to cast meteor shower but with an auto cast on Lava font that incessantly interrupt your meteor shower.

Sadly, pets are flawed and we know this since released. There are a few things that could “patch” the most glaring issues but, in my opinion, what they need the most is a redesign/rework that would transform the whole ranger profession.

Simply put the pet’s idea is good, the way it has been done ain’t good. The whole profession (and I want to say the whole game) suffer from this design. I’v said it a few time but in my opinion, they need to :

- Remove the unnecessary damage of the pet and put these damage on the ranger’s weapon.
- Make sure that the pet can hit a target (this is only for the sake of traits and ranger’s utility skills)
- Give the pet one hell of a defense (so that he can survive almost anything) but make it so that commands that are given to the pet are interrupted when the pet is hard CCed.
- Change pet’s utility skill so you can chose one on F2 and this one utility skill will be the one and only one that the pet will ever use on your command.

This done, you end up with a pet that is here to support you without hindering you and without making the whole PvP crew cry for nerf because an AI killed them and it hurt their pride. And above all thing you finally have some control over your pet.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Ranger

Posted by: Savvy.3258

Savvy.3258

That’s a bit too much for my taste but I definitely agree pets feel sluggish. +30% movement speed as a trait is silly at best, as our damage is split and it’s not your pet’s fault enemies move about! No reason ranger should be penalized for this.

Cast time on pet’s skills needs to be gone, instant cast all around. If it has to interrupt some auto cast skills then interrupt it.

This is probably like 173th on their to-do list though.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Could be 1000% movement speed bonus and it won’t change anything. The animations of core pets are not effective against a human. Unfortunately they said they’re not able or willing to change those animations so we just have to wait for next expansion. HoT obviously brought some major advancements as far as effective pets.

I think in the guild chat or something they said this living world session is going to set up the next expac, so we may have new effective pets soon. #RangerBone

in Ranger

Posted by: Krispera.5087

Krispera.5087

You have to be careful of a couple things. It will howl at a target, so if you’ve got a guy 2000 units away selected, it’ll run off and try to howl at that guy. The other thing you have to be careful is to not interrupt your own wolf. Like if you’re spamming F2 and hit attack or recall the pet to reposition, it’ll put the howl on a short cool down.

The surest way to get it to go off where you want it is to have no target selected and hit only F2, it should go off right where the wolf currently is with no hitch. Well the final hitch is that it is a big tell, so someone else might interrupt it.

Isn’t it bad design to have a checklist in order to be able to land it ?

1 and 1/2 sec to cast, with a checklist to be able to land on time : https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Terrifying_Howl

A necromancer use its skills or warrior uses its shout and everyone fears. It’s that simple.

1/2 sec casting time : https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Terrify
Instant : https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/%22Fear_Me!%22

(edited by Krispera.5087)

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

After 4 years… How many time I could have saved stomps or have a clutch moment, only to see my wolf do nothing despite spamming F2 like a mad man.

It’s not the only pet either.

ps : title too long, left a word.

Pet AI is broken.

Pet AI has been broken.

Pet AI has never had an appreciable update.

In far too many instances the pet AI is will not go off even if you hit the button a thousand times, even more than ‘skill lag’ by far and that has been becoming worse as well.

Pet AI needs major work and the F2 should be instantaneous to stop the ‘skill lag times a billion’ or just failing even after seeing all the buttons go off and the animation just failing even when one can see no effects were blocked, it just didn’t work.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Isn’t it bad design to have a checklist in order to be able to land it ?

1 and 1/2 sec to cast, with a checklist to be able to land on time : https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Terrifying_Howl

A necromancer use its skills or warrior uses its shout and everyone fears. It’s that simple.

1/2 sec casting time : https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Terrify
Instant : https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/%22Fear_Me!%22

I have problems with pets, but in the case of F2, no I don’t think it’s bad to have a checklist. It’s like saying a warrior can’t land primal burst without checking that the skill is in range and his opponent isn’t blocking.

AI pet problems are bad, human control problems are not bad. How is the wolf supposed to know if you want it to howl and the wrong guy you have selected across the map or the correct guy you don’t have selected?