in Ranger

Posted by: TastyTofu.3597

TastyTofu.3597

I’m honestly curious.

Why does Anet hate ranger?

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

What has brought you to this conclusion?

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

The same thing that causes everyone else to post that ANet hates their particular class in their class subforum. Happens daily.

in Ranger

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

The same thing that causes everyone else to post that ANet hates their particular class in their class subforum. Happens daily.

ANET are bad at class design.

None of the classes I’ve played in this game, at ANY time have played as smoothly as the ones in WoW. (Oh no! Are you triggered? )

The lore of the class means more to the devs than the actual functioning playability of each class.

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

None of the classes I’ve played in this game, at ANY time have played as smoothly as the ones in WoW. (Oh no! Are you triggered? )

The lore of the class means more to the devs than the actual functioning playability of each class.

So, because of your subjective opinion, ANet therefore hates every class? Yeah, makes sense…

Look, just because you can’t play the game smoothly with any class, it doesn’t mean they are clunky, it just means you need to get better.

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

I’ll give Anet kitten at a drop of a hat and Ranger has definitely been the most abused class, starting at the beginning of the game when the weakest class was regularly nerfed to fight bots instead of just banning the bots and culminating in HoT when we got lumped with the Raid advertisement elite spec.

I’m just confused what currently has brought it on this time. The balance patch was pretty good for us and Soulbeast looks good.

in Ranger

EnderzShadow.2506

So, because of your subjective opinion, ANet therefore hates every class? Yeah, makes sense…

Look, just because you can’t play the game smoothly with any class, it doesn’t mean they are clunky, it just means you need to get better.

You’re conclusion doesn’t make sense because I never said ANET hated every class.

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

I’m honestly curious.

I totally agree.

Any decent Ranger can give a hundred reasons from longer cooldowns than most to taking Precision as a ‘tool’ for us, the latter of which horridly game changing.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Baloney.

You who post against anyone who knows the real state of Rangers are getting tiresome.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

Posted by: Yobculture.5786

Yobculture.5786

The current state of Ranger/Druid (PvE-wise) is not that bad at the moment, I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

Just because ANet screwed you guys over before doesn’t mean they are still doing it.

Far Shiverpeaks

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

You’re conclusion doesn’t make sense because I never said ANET hated every class.

Then your original post makes no sense because I was replying to that, what does ANets “bad” class design have to do with them hating Ranger then? That’s what the topic is about.

Baloney.

You who post against anyone who knows the real state of Rangers are getting tiresome.

How is it baloney to point out a fact? Go read the other class subforums, there is always someone claiming that ANet hates their class. Please cite an example of when I
“post against anyone who knows the real state of Rangers”.

Actually, this whole thread should be deleted, its utterly pointless.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

Balance Update for ranger follows always the same concept:
Never change a one ruined system

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

in Ranger

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

Because they love thief.

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Because you knocked a mob away from some dev with your LB and they missed their burst.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in Ranger

EnderzShadow.2506

Then your original post makes no sense because I was replying to that, what does ANets “bad” class design have to do with them hating Ranger then? That’s what the topic is about.

Baloney.

How is it baloney to point out a fact? Go read the other class subforums, there is always someone claiming that ANet hates their class. Please cite an example of when I
“post against anyone who knows the real state of Rangers”.

Actually, this whole thread should be deleted, its utterly pointless.

My point is that they don’t hate the classes, their just bad at class design, period.

In every class sub forum, there are legitimate complaints about class bugs.
These bugs won’t be fixed, they will just be covered up with a new expansion which in itself will add more bugs….that won’t ever be fixed.

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

The druid was an incredibly well designed spec. It improved our skirmishing and overall survivability on offensive builds, and added a very mechanically fun support playstyle. I had a blast with a druid.

Irenio seems to be doing a fantastic job with the Soulbeast as well. It’s addressing a lot of our weakness, some of which are: lack of frontloaded damage, fragile & clumsy pets, poor stability and sustain, and group utility (other than healing). I super stoked for the SB.

You can argue that they really kittened up on the CORE ranger. Arguably, the core LB builds have gotten really good over time, and especially since the last patch. But most other core ranger builds are garbage. They’ve addressed most of our terrible traits, but a few of the weapons are quite weak with the core spec. They will, however, likely be very strong on the Soulbeast. For example, OH axe and GS will play great.

So in conclusion, I’m a huge fan of Irenio. I think he’s done one hell of a job pulling this prof out of the gutter with the druid, new pets, and trait reworks. The SB looks very promising so far.

in Ranger

Posted by: ZhouX.8742

ZhouX.8742

Stability , massive evasion uptime and invulns exist, therefore OH axe will never be good. It has no uniqueness to it. The pull in design is also not great.. If it worked like Revenant sword offhand then it would actually be decent but it doesn’t and for this reason it will always be a 2nd-3rd tier weapon in terms of offhands.

Tanbin

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Oh axe might be good if the BM swoop skill from birds is an actual movement skill that either moves us like greatsword swoop or blinks us.

If we don’t get that then probably not. The channel on the skill is just too long for the damage if the person can see you coming.

People will also quickly learn to expect this and it will stop being effective against good players the same way using judges and trap bombing people did.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

The druid was an incredibly well designed spec. It improved our skirmishing and overall survivability on offensive builds, and added a very mechanically fun support playstyle. I had a blast with a druid.

Irenio seems to be doing a fantastic job with the Soulbeast as well. It’s addressing a lot of our weakness, some of which are: lack of frontloaded damage, fragile & clumsy pets, poor stability and sustain, and group utility (other than healing). I super stoked for the SB.

You can argue that they really kittened up on the CORE ranger. Arguably, the core LB builds have gotten really good over time, and especially since the last patch. But most other core ranger builds are garbage. They’ve addressed most of our terrible traits, but a few of the weapons are quite weak with the core spec. They will, however, likely be very strong on the Soulbeast. For example, OH axe and GS will play great.

So in conclusion, I’m a huge fan of Irenio. I think he’s done one hell of a job pulling this prof out of the gutter with the druid, new pets, and trait reworks. The SB looks very promising so far.

I agree. We always had build diversity, but most were pretty meh, now we have several very strong options and more to come with the SoulB which just looks great so far.

There are a couple of choices that I personally would not have made with regards to skills/traits but I’m just an armchair expert like the rest of us.

LB is now very strong as a Ranged DPS option and our condi build is core, although with the changes to Companion’s Might and Expertise Training, that may be different now. We shall see.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Oh axe might be good if the BM swoop skill from birds is an actual movement skill that either moves us like greatsword swoop or blinks us.

If we don’t get that then probably not. The channel on the skill is just too long for the damage if the person can see you coming.

People will also quickly learn to expect this and it will stop being effective against good players the same way using judges and trap bombing people did.

While it probably will not see sPvP use, it’s perfectly viable and works well in WvW and in PvE it will be great with SoulB.

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

While it probably will not see sPvP use, it’s perfectly viable and works well in WvW and in PvE it will be great with SoulB.

I can only assume you mean roaming wvw because using whirling in a zerg fight is suicide.

Even path is a risky option since it can actually cause major harm to your allies if it’s reflected.

It might be better if we can swoop into the back and use it but I’m not gonna try theory crafting when there’s going to be big shakeups coming. Warrior alone is going to reshape a lot of play with it’s massive boon hate.

Right now, swoop to me is a cheap movement skill for re-positioning, not a skill for diving in offensively. Our main role in a zerg will be to tank up and cooldown spam bear stance, dolyak stance, and Spiritual reprieve.

Owl and brown/black bear are going to be standard.

(edited by Substance E.4852)

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

From a WvW perspective, I just hope SoulBeast lets us use more than two weapons. With Druid you got Staff and LB.

Actually I dropped Druid and just went back to Core ranger because I hate being locked into staff so much. It does look like SoulBeast will augment the Core ranger more than replace it like Druid did.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

Our main role in a zerg will be to tank up and cooldown spam bear stance, dolyak stance, and Spiritual reprieve.

kitten it, i’ll take it.

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

Our main role in a zerg will be to tank up and cooldown spam bear stance, dolyak stance, and Spiritual reprieve.

kitten it, i’ll take it.

Oh I didn’t mean it as a bad thing. This is literally the first time I have ever heard WvW guilds talk about the Ranger being useful. Soulbeast is going to be a huge buff for us in WvW.

We won’t be nearly as good as a guard or revenant, but you can NEVER have too much party stab and resistance.

The best part is we’ll still hit pretty hard in beastmode even with soldiers gear so it’s not like we have to give up damage to be useful like we do with druid.

Going ham with greatsword while having solid sustain and support and having the zerg actually happy you brought a ranger is going to feel good.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

The class basically got nerfed into the ground when Jon Peters was at the helm up until 2015. This constant nerfing of Rangers while buffing other classes (especially Warrior) caused all the Ranger-hate from other people and why our class always got kicked first from fractals and dungeons.

Some of you may not remember JP’s antics but the infamous shortbow firerate nerf where his explanation (excuse) made no logical sense and the blanket nerf to pet damage (because they would supposedly ‘hit more reliably’ now when they still didn’t) are still fresh in my mind. There was even a massive thread at the time where we could offer our suggestions for fixing the class and JP participated. But nothing significant ever came out of that so I assume it was just meant as a pacifier to keep people contained.

Now Ireno has to pick up the pieces and try to undo what JP did. Fact remains that you could basically take any of our skills/traits and compare them to similar skills/traits from other classes. Then you will find out that Ranger always had either longer cooldowns or less useful skills.

Back in the day JP basically only cared about making Warrior as easy-mode as possible so he could play his signet warrior in sPvP. Even watching old devstreams with him talking about the classes made that painfully clear. And when he had to nerf Healing Signet he told everyone that it must be done in small steps (while still applying massive nerfs to every other class).

There was another dev during that time but I forgot his name. His favorite class was Thief and it showed. His excuse to killing a thief was ‘lots of AoE’.

Just my opinion.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

Hah! Why would I be triggered by you having a wrong opinion?
Usually an opinion can’t really be “right” or “wrong” but you’ve managed to have a wrong one here so congratulations I suppose? =P

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

I can only assume you mean roaming wvw because using whirling in a zerg fight is suicide.

Even path is a risky option since it can actually cause major harm to your allies if it’s reflected.

It might be better if we can swoop into the back and use it but I’m not gonna try theory crafting when there’s going to be big shakeups coming. Warrior alone is going to reshape a lot of play with it’s massive boon hate.

Right now, swoop to me is a cheap movement skill for re-positioning, not a skill for diving in offensively. Our main role in a zerg will be to tank up and cooldown spam bear stance, dolyak stance, and Spiritual reprieve.

Owl and brown/black bear are going to be standard.

and moa stance.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

Some of you may not remember JP’s antics but the infamous shortbow firerate nerf where his explanation (excuse) made no logical sense

oh, I remember.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Basically everything Aveneo said, since Ranger was the only profession I mained I got turned off from the game and went back to WoW mainly for awhile there due to JP.

Irenos been a lot better so far and I am looking forward to Soulbeast since it fits the thematic of core ranger well and the build potential with it looks fun.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

(edited by Zalani.9827)

in Ranger

Posted by: NemesiS.6749

NemesiS.6749

The class basically got nerfed into the ground when Jon Peters was at the helm up until 2015. This constant nerfing of Rangers while buffing other classes (especially Warrior) caused all the Ranger-hate from other people and why our class always got kicked first from fractals and dungeons.

Some of you may not remember JP’s antics but the infamous shortbow firerate nerf where his explanation (excuse) made no logical sense and the blanket nerf to pet damage (because they would supposedly ‘hit more reliably’ now when they still didn’t) are still fresh in my mind. There was even a massive thread at the time where we could offer our suggestions for fixing the class and JP participated. But nothing significant ever came out of that so I assume it was just meant as a pacifier to keep people contained.

Now Ireno has to pick up the pieces and try to undo what JP did. Fact remains that you could basically take any of our skills/traits and compare them to similar skills/traits from other classes. Then you will find out that Ranger always had either longer cooldowns or less useful skills.

Back in the day JP basically only cared about making Warrior as easy-mode as possible so he could play his signet warrior in sPvP. Even watching old devstreams with him talking about the classes made that painfully clear. And when he had to nerf Healing Signet he told everyone that it must be done in small steps (while still applying massive nerfs to every other class).

There was another dev during that time but I forgot his name. His favorite class was Thief and it showed. His excuse to killing a thief was ‘lots of AoE’.

Just my opinion.

lol who can forget that. Remember when they nerfed shortbow just because people were pressing skill 1 to much. LMAO, yes all classes get nerf sometimes but all this years rangers have gotten the more kitten explanations and nerfs that dont make any sense.

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Some of you may not remember JP’s antics but the infamous shortbow firerate nerf where his explanation (excuse) made no logical sense

oh, I remember.

Ah, the “animation fix”… Still doesn’t hurt as much as the infamous “Pet Leash distance increased to 2000” patch note. I don’t think they hate any class, but I’m still very bitter about that pet leash nerf. WvW used to be glorious with proper hunting pets, but since the range inconvenienced Conquest…

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in Ranger

Posted by: Hepatolith.6389

Hepatolith.6389

oh, I remember.

Ah, the “animation fix”… Still doesn’t hurt as much as the infamous “Pet Leash distance increased to 2000” patch note. I don’t think they hate any class, but I’m still very bitter about that pet leash nerf. WvW used to be glorious with proper hunting pets, but since the range inconvenienced Conquest…

My personal Favorite has to be the “Nerfed Shortbow range to 900 so Longbow sees more use.” patch

Cayline Oakheart, Ranger – Drakkar Lake
Covenant of Bloodthirst [IvsI],
Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

oh, I remember.

My personal Favorite has to be the “Nerfed Shortbow range to 900 so Longbow sees more use.” patch

Very much time to revert that change too. Irks me that I can throw a torch, dagger or axe further than I can shoot my Shortbow…

in Ranger

Posted by: Zep.5189

Zep.5189

It seems like ranger can never be on top for very long. It would be nice to have the dps classes balanced somewhat consistently so that classes are not knocked out of the meta every patch.

I knew it was too good to be true when I saw that ranger actually had decent dps bench marks compared to other classes. After the last balance patch they took care of that though.

Op I feel your pain, but that’s how its always been for ranger.

(edited by Zep.5189)

in Ranger

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

From a WvW perspective, I just hope SoulBeast lets us use more than two weapons. With Druid you got Staff and LB.

Actually I dropped Druid and just went back to Core ranger because I hate being locked into staff so much. It does look like SoulBeast will augment the Core ranger more than replace it like Druid did.

Honestly I can’t stand druid. Weirdly I still take it for the condi-cleanse and 0-effort-non-boon-perma-swiftness. CA is a bad idea, badly done with horrible effects which don’t match the core class even slightly. Staff is almost good but boring to use with annoying sound effects and nothing about it works with pets. The entire elite feels like it’s been clumsily patched on to ranger at the last minute, using chewing gum and old shoe-laces.

Now Soulbeast? I like the look of soulbeast, actually excited for it, which after the crushing disappointment of Druid, I would not have expected. As you say, SBeast looks like it was designed to work with the core ranger. Its effects suit the class’ existing themes and supplements its skill while addressing one of rangers biggest and oldest needs, the ability to remove the pet in encounters where it becomes an actual threat to the party.

Does Anet hate ranger? If you asked me that during this stage of the HoT launch, I would probably have said yes. Since then though, they’ve made leaps and bounds with the class. Anet and Irenio in particular have actually managed to address alot of the class’ problems. I’m genuinely impressed at the progress and actually hopeful for Sbeast and ranger’s future.