Why does our greatsword hit three targets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I like the playstyle of the greatsword ranger, more so than other greatsword professions. But I’m constantly bothered by the fact that our greatsword has no AoE to speak of. Sure, we get lots of cleaves, but so does our main hand sword….which also deals more damage than our greatsword.

So what gives? Where’s my big 5 target AoE like guardians and warriors get?

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: Jay The Dude.5830

Jay The Dude.5830

Warriors and Guardians use the Greatsword offensively hell even mesmers use it offensively, rangers on the other hand use it defensively i would argue the same for Sword too

in Ranger

Posted by: Splifferton.9874

Splifferton.9874

welcome to playing the Ranger.. SB/LB with piercing arrow will get you some nice(ish) AOE..

Little Grundle [RAM]

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

Warriors and Guardians use the Greatsword offensively hell even mesmers use it offensively, rangers on the other hand use it defensively i would argue the same for Sword too

But, the ranger’s main hand sword STILL deals more damage than the greatsword, to the same amount of targets, and is equally defensive.

No to mention, warriors get whirling attack, which is not only a gap closer, but also an evade skill. Guardians get an AoE blind with leap of faith, and an AoE pull with binding blade (which acts as an interrupt when timed properly). So yeah, guardians and warriors both have defensive skills on their greatswords. Not to mention, other classes get 5 target AoE weapons that are also defensive in nature. Speaking in terms of just guardians, the mace/focus/shield/hammer are all defensive weapons, and all have 5 target AoE attacks, some of which deal substantial damage.

Touting the ranger’s greatsword as a defensive weapon, and then saying “this is why it doesn’t have AoE” is nonsense.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

We have pets which can attack a seperate target and can have its own aoe attack. Making it possible for them to hit 5 different targets.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

We have pets which can attack a seperate target and can have its own aoe attack. Making it possible for them to hit 5 different targets.

I knew someone was going to bring up pets as an excuse.

The only pets with a spammable AoE attack come from the drake family, and it too only hits 3 targets. It is possible, if you sick your drake on a different target, that you may be able to hit up to 6 targets, but chances are, you’ll wind up overlapping, and only hit 3 targets anyway. Other pets only have AoE attacks on long cooldowns, and some pets have no AoE at all.

Ignoring all of the inherent problems with pets, it is a somewhat valid point, assuming you only use a drake pet and it never dies.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Jay The Dude.5830

But, the ranger’s main hand sword STILL deals more damage than the greatsword, to the same amount of targets, and is equally defensive.

No to mention, warriors get whirling attack, which is not only a gap closer, but also an evade skill. Guardians get an AoE blind with leap of faith, and an AoE pull with binding blade (which acts as an interrupt when timed properly). So yeah, guardians and warriors both have defensive skills on their greatswords. Not to mention, other classes get 5 target AoE weapons that are also defensive in nature. Speaking in terms of just guardians, the mace/focus/shield/hammer are all defensive weapons, and all have 5 target AoE attacks, some of which deal substantial damage.

Touting the ranger’s Greatsword as a defensive weapon, and then saying “this is why it doesn’t have AoE” is nonsense.

Are the sword and Greatsword “equally defensive” though? i would think Greatsword can achieve more evades per minute then the sword while the sword has more control over when an evade is used, unless you want to turn off autocast on the Greatsword,
speaking of dmg, the swords dmg isn’t exactly greater then the Greatsword either, sure it has tons more dps but im certain the Greatsword hits harder, we do have a 5 target aoe weapon like every other class and its defensive in nature its the Longbow, Guardians are inherently defensive in nature as a class but i see what your getting at here most of their weapons are defensive and have large Aoe, i would speculate that guardians defense is Static and therefore Aoe supports the likelihood that they will be standing still during their defense, rangers on the other hand have a more dynamic defense wherein they move around a lot and fill the role of a skirmisher, as someone already mentioned we have pets that fit into the equation too and lets not forget that we also have traps which do very respectable Aoe dmg.

in summary the Greatsword is a Defensive weapon for a ranger who moves around a lot and doesn’t provide PBAoe because of the mobility factor and because a ranger can already source Aoe from elsewhere, should it have a ground targeted Aoe? perhaps but why when other weapons and utilities provide this?

in Ranger

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

The same place guardian and warrior block/daze is.

Face it, Ranger GS is an offensive/defensive hybrid weapon while guardian/warrior/mesmer GS is a pure offensive weapon. I think part of the pay-off is that the GS defensive skills are often just as good if not better than the defensive weapons of those other named professions.

in Ranger

Jay The Dude.5830

Face it, Ranger GS is an offensive/defensive hybrid weapon while guardian/warrior/mesmer GS is a pure offensive weapon. I think part of the pay-off is that the GS defensive skills are often just as good if not better than the defensive weapons of those other named professions.

This ^ the greatsword is the only weapon IIRC with an autoattack evade and counterattack is one of the best blocks in the game

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

This ^ the greatsword is the only weapon IIRC with an autoattack evade and counterattack is one of the best blocks in the game

The ranger’s spear also has an auto evade, but it’s essentially an underwater version of the greatsword, and no one cares about underwater combat so…

The evade on greatsword 1 gives you roughly the same amount of damage reduction over time as protection. And guardians conveniently get a weapon which applies near permanent protection with its auto attack. Said weapon also has an AoE blast finisher which puts maul to shame.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Jay The Dude.5830

The ranger’s spear also has an auto evade, but it’s essentially an underwater version of the greatsword, and no one cares about underwater combat so…

The evade on greatsword 1 gives you roughly the same amount of damage reduction over time as protection. And guardians conveniently get a weapon which applies near permanent protection with its auto attack. Said weapon also has an AoE blast finisher which puts maul to shame.

its beginning to sound like you’d be a lot happier playing a guardian, i don’t think its accurate to say that ranger GS’s evade is anything like protection, its capable of avoiding far less and/or far more than protection, Guardians Hammer is a control weapon and you’ve been discussing how dissimilar ranger GS is from other class’s GS.

Ranger GS is a Tanky/mobility Weapon Aoe attacks don’t fit its purpose and i cant see anything other then maybe maul getting replaced in favor of a warrior style aoe attack

Furthermore if it was to do all this and apply the equivalent of perma protection it would be hilariously OP

in Ranger

Leo G.4501

It also has a tendency of spamming an annoying light field that actively thwart better fields like fire or chaos fields making it tougher for melees to make use of their combos. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve tried to get a chaos armor or a might blast only to get retaliation.

in Ranger

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

Ranger GS is a Tanky/mobility Weapon Aoe attacks don’t fit its purpose and i cant see anything other then maybe maul getting replaced in favor of a warrior style aoe attack

If the Greatsword could hit 5 targets (the normal maximum for an AoE attack), then the egg laying Veteran Karka could be dealt with far more easily and fairly, as it lays 5 eggs in a group and if you’re not using a power focused build there’s no way a ranger can get them all except for maybe barrage and then there’s the second group.

This matters because otherwise very, very few ranger skills are capable of hitting 5 targets. Entangle, Bonfire, Barrage, traps, whirling defense and maybe piercing arrows, these all have long cooldowns (or are a linear AoE requiring 20 points in marksmanship and limiting your weapon choice). The ranger has no method of dealing consistent damage against five targets (unless they line up for you). This should at least be possible with a melee weapon.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

Imo Guardian/Warrior should rather be reduced aswell instead of making Ranger hit more. Would solve a lot of issues.

in Ranger

Leo G.4501

Personally, I’d rather the weapon additionally apply evades to my pet with the auto-attack and ‘crippling strike’ to the pet when I use maul so the pet’s next attack also cripples.

No extra damage added

in Ranger

Posted by: Kiran.2705

Kiran.2705

Ranger is just an abandoned and over-looked class, by both players and Anet. Gotta deal with it.

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

…you’ve been discussing how dissimilar ranger GS is from other class’s GS.

I’ve been questioning why the ranger’s greatsword doesn’t hit 5 targets. You’ve told me why you think the ranger’s greatsword doesn’t hit 5 targets. I’ve given you examples of other classes with defensive weapons that hit 5 targets.

Until a developer comes along and says “this is the reason we didn’t give the ranger’s greatsword a big 5 target AoE” every explanation you give is nothing more than speculation.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

lol… If you ever see anyone get hit with the Drakes AoE, laugh at them. You don’t even have to dodge it, just strafe a little, and you can’t possibly be hit by it. I bet I could dodge 100 drake pets at once, and never get hit by their breath weapon.

This made me laugh, on a day I needed it. Thanks.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

lol… If you ever see anyone get hit with the Drakes AoE, laugh at them. You don’t even have to dodge it, just strafe a little, and you can’t possibly be hit by it. I bet I could dodge 100 drake pets at once, and never get hit by their breath weapon.

the drakes’ auto cast skill [Bite] cleaves. [Tail Swipe] is also a 360% AoE. And…I would love to see you try dodging a marsh drake’s F2 just by strafing.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

the drakes’ auto cast skill [Bite] cleaves. [Tail Swipe] is also a 360% AoE. And…I would love to see you try dodging a marsh drake’s F2 just by strafing.

I dodge them all the time. The pets in this game are insanely easy to avoid.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

I dodge them all the time. The pets in this game are insanely easy to avoid.

The marsh drake’s F2 is a homing projectile which tracks its target regardless of the direction the marsh drake is facing. It’s essentially deathly swarm without the blind and condition transfer.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: Semil.8279

Semil.8279

According to the wiki marsh drake’s f2 just bounces, no homing involved.

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

I use a marsh drake extensively. Those projectiles definitely track their target.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Jay The Dude.5830

…you’ve been discussing how dissimilar ranger GS is from other class’s GS.

I’ve been questioning why the ranger’s greatsword doesn’t hit 5 targets. You’ve told me why you think the ranger’s greatsword doesn’t hit 5 targets. I’ve given you examples of other classes with defensive weapons that hit 5 targets.

Until a developer comes along and says “this is the reason we didn’t give the ranger’s greatsword a big 5 target AoE” every explanation you give is nothing more than speculation.

Of course it’s speculation

in Ranger

Jay The Dude.5830

Lightning breath will bounce around too, salamanders and Frost drakes use a cone attack tho

in Ranger

Leo G.4501

Just tested it. While Insect Swarm does bounce, it doesn’t require the drake to be facing its target. Just did this numerous times pulling a foe behind the drake after it started to charge its breath. In the same circumstances with the Lightning Breath attack, that breath would simply shoot into empty air or do nothing.

That certainly makes the Marsh Drake a bit more interesting than before. The other cone breath attacks feel subpar doing a mix of condition and direct damage. Lightning Breath feels like it does the most since it only does direct damage which is buffed by the extras like Sig of the Hunt. Insect Swarm may be split condition/direct damage but then it also seems like it will miss less often

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

I use a marsh drake extensively. Those projectiles definitely track their target.

I have never been hit by it.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in Ranger

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Ranger is just an abandoned and over-looked class, by both players and Anet. Gotta deal with it.

Yup deal with it and move on when something better comes along.

ArenaNet will never fix the Ranger.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

The only pets with a spammable AoE attack come from the drake family, and it too only hits 3 targets. It is possible, if you sick your drake on a different target, that you may be able to hit up to 6 targets, but chances are, you’ll wind up overlapping, and only hit 3 targets anyway. Other pets only have AoE attacks on long cooldowns, and some pets have no AoE at all.

Ignoring all of the inherent problems with pets, it is a somewhat valid point, assuming you only use a drake pet and it never dies.

It’s not an excuse, it’s the answer to your title question. Anet balance Ranger around having a pet out, for better or for worse. So that’s why our GS doesn’t have a big cleave. The effectiveness of pets however is a hotly debated topic all of its own.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

in Ranger

Posted by: Semil.8279

Semil.8279

If all pets have attacks that cleave, so in theory we might at least do higher damage to the 3 targets we do manage to hit, then the discussion would be different.

Completely apart from the overall effectiveness of pets and sticking strictly to the greatsword cleave issue, giving cleave to more pets would put us in a better position than we are now.

in Ranger

Leo G.4501

It’s not an excuse, it’s the answer to your title question. Anet balance Ranger around having a pet out, for better or for worse. So that’s why our GS doesn’t have a big cleave. The effectiveness of pets however is a hotly debated topic all of its own.

Um, Ranger GS does have cleave. It’s just Guardian who is the anomaly with that one attack that hits more than the 3-target cleave limit. It’s likely because the skill is considered an ‘AoE’ and not a melee skill.

in Ranger

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

i cant say ive noticed this; does seem unfair if we hit less enemies than other classes though

It also has a tendency of spamming an annoying light field that actively thwart better fields like fire or chaos fields making it tougher for melees to make use of their combos. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve tried to get a chaos armor or a might blast only to get retaliation.

NO

chaos armor? buffs… conds… sure… nice… WHEN YOU GET HIT; that is horrible; except in pvp/wvw against certain enemies (unload spamming thieves/SB rangers in particular), but if a hammer symbol keeps covering fields up im guessing you mean pve; where eneies attack stupidly slow (also making the confusion from projectiles – and the only class that im aware of being able to spam confusion through it reliably is LB warr- laughable) and often only one player at a time

- i have run into this assumption that chaos armor is a good combo several times in dungeons; i dont understand it; because as i see it; its horrible – the only redeeming feature being the very obvious graphic

symbols are small (even when traited – though can still cover lava font; bonfire and flame trap; if placed directly on top of them… which is highly unlikely) so theres little reason miss-blast into them (my D/D ele is one of my dungeon characters, and i have no trouble blasting my 4 blasts into my ring of fire when im with a symbol/hammer guard – much much different with most mesmers; who like to use feedback off cooldown for no reason at all) and also helps cleanse conditions on melee characters

im; in terms of pve usefullness id rank:
water – heals heals heals everywhere (one of my favourites)
fire – damage damage damage everywhere (my other favourite)
light – cleanses from whirls and projectiles (though most are a 20% chance)
dark – blind (useful on everything but well of darkness; which already blinds… and it stacks duration… removes on attack… which doesnt make sense to me) life steal
ethereal – confusion (in pve? AHAHAHA), chaos armor (which ive already talked about)
smoke(the combos kind of suck – if you arent running past stuff- but most blind anything in the periodically anyway; which is pretty kitten good)

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

Our issue is lack of blast finishers.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in Ranger

Rhaps.8540

Um, Ranger GS does have cleave. It’s just Guardian who is the anomaly with that one attack that hits more than the 3-target cleave limit. It’s likely because the skill is considered an ‘AoE’ and not a melee skill.

Big cleave, PBAoE whatever, Ranger doesnt have any skills on GS that break the 3 target limit, other classes do. Guardian is the anomaly? Warrior has whirlwind attack and bladetrail, mesmer has mind stab, illusionary berserker and illusionary wave. All of which hit well over the 3 target limit. Ranger is the anomaly being the only class having no multi-target (3+) skills on GS which brings me back to my original point about pets.

Our lack of blast finishers is also probably due to us meant to be using Drakes for that, but that’s far from ideal as we can’t directly control the attack that triggers them.

(edited by Rhaps.8540)

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

Big cleave, PBAoE whatever, Ranger doesnt have any skills on GS that break the 3 target limit, other classes do. Guardian is the anomaly? Warrior has whirlwind attack and bladetrail, mesmer has mind stab, illusionary berserker and illusionary wave. All of which hit well over the 3 target limit. Ranger is the anomaly being the only class having no multi-target (3+) skills on GS which brings me back to my original point about pets.

Our lack of blast finishers is also probably due to us meant to be using Drakes for that, but that’s far from ideal as we can’t directly control the attack that triggers them.

I also advocate that maul be a blast finisher.

And before anyone comes here arguing that we don’t get any reliable blast finishers because we have access to so many different combo fields, I will point you to scepter eles and their ground targeted, 6 second cooldown, blast finisher.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

There are a lot of issues with Rangers.. this is probably on the lower half of what I would consider needing to be fixed. Melee attacks all have 3-target limits, exception of very few. In any case, this is not what’s holding Rangers down in the least.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I also advocate that maul be a blast finisher.

And before anyone comes here arguing that we don’t get any reliable blast finishers because we have access to so many different combo fields, I will point you to scepter eles and their ground targeted, 6 second cooldown, blast finisher.

What ground targeted 6s CD blast finisher is this? You mean dragons tooth? Because that’s not ground targeted… and a scepter ele only gets 1 field (fire), where as a great sword ranger can have a water, a poison, a fire, a frost, and a chaos field all in one build…

That being said i’d still love Maul to be a blast finisher… i’m just not going to be surprised if that doesn’t happen…

PS: GS + Drake = each auto attack hits 3 targets on the both of you, no other prof can do that…

Oh yeah, Guardians the only one that has a skill that hits more than 5 targets with it (minus that whirl thing warriors do)

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Rhaps.8540

Oh yeah, Guardians the only one that has a skill that hits more than 5 targets with it (minus that whirl thing warriors do)

I tested the warr/mesmer GS skills in the mists AoE targets area and like I said it’s more than just whirlwind attack, bladetrail hits all targets in both directions and there’s the mesmer gs skills I mentioned which comes on top of them recently being given a normal cleave (or pierce if you like) on their #1 attack.

You’re right enough though about the drakes. Providing they’re alive, in position, aren’t stopping to activate their f2 attack and are able to keep up with the target, then yes they can cleave as well giving GS rangers a potential double cleave thing going on which is really nice. Sadly its still reliant on an often unreliable pet. I’ve got big hopes for the upcoming pet fixes.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I tested the warr/mesmer GS skills in the mists AoE targets area and like I said it’s more than just whirlwind attack, bladetrail hits all targets in both directions and there’s the mesmer gs skills I mentioned which comes on top of them recently being given a normal cleave (or pierce if you like) on their #1 attack.

You’re right enough though about the drakes. Providing they’re alive, in position, aren’t stopping to activate their f2 attack and are able to keep up with the target, then yes they can cleave as well giving GS rangers a potential double cleave thing going on which is really nice. Sadly its still reliant on an often unreliable pet. I’ve got big hopes for the upcoming pet fixes.

The mesmers “pierce” has a cap of 3 targets total (unlike our pierces which seem to not have a cap), I kinda wish Maul would hit 5 targets or be a blast finisher though, all our other greatsword attacks don’t make sense to hit 5 people

in Ranger

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

I have my eye on ESO and now Camelot Unchained (thanks for the link there)… will most likely be switching over to one of those when they release depending on how their game play turns out. Otherwise I will probably just move over to whatever game my friends are playing here soon…

Ranger is the only class I enjoy in this game, thieves are kind of in there I guess too… Warriors just feel kitten poor design wise (lets just do straight forward attacks with lots of damage lololol…).

(edited by Sollith.3502)

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I have my eye on ESO and now Camelot Unchained (thanks for the link there)… will most likely be switching over to one of those when they release depending on how their game play turns out. Otherwise I will probably just move over to whatever game my friends are playing here soon…

Ranger is the only class I enjoy in this game, thieves are kind of in there I guess too… Warriors just feel kitten poor design wise (lets just do straight forward attacks with lots of damage lololol…).

I think you’re in the wrong thread, because your post has nothing to do with Rangers not cleaving 5 targets instead of 3 on the GS…

in Ranger

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Warrior’s GS cleave only hits 3 targets, I’m 99% sure of this. I was under the impression that all melee cleave (besides third hit on warrior hammer because it’s “aoe”) is 3 targets but I cannot confirm or deny Guardian.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Warrior’s GS cleave only hits 3 targets, I’m 99% sure of this. I was under the impression that all melee cleave (besides third hit on warrior hammer because it’s “aoe”) is 3 targets but I cannot confirm or deny Guardian.

Guardians is only 3 as well, I think the Symbol it makes (is that during attack chain?) is in the same boat as Warrior Hammer.

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

Guardians is only 3 as well, I think the Symbol it makes (is that during attack chain?) is in the same boat as Warrior Hammer.

Here’s a list of guardian greatsword attacks that hit 5 targets.

-Whirling Wrath
-Leap of Faith
-Symbol of Wrath
-Binding Blade

That’s 4/5 skills which hit 5 targets.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

-Whirling Wrath
-Leap of Faith
-Symbol of Wrath
-Binding Blade

Yes, and all of those are more than a simple sword swing, which is why I said maul -should- be 5 targets if its not. All our other attacks on GS wouldn’t follow the same rules the other profs go by.

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

Yes, and all of those are more than a simple sword swing, which is why I said maul -should- be 5 targets if its not. All our other attacks on GS wouldn’t follow the same rules the other profs go by.

That’s also what I said. I never said we should get a 5 target auto attack, just maul, and perhaps swoop.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Writetyper.1985

-Whirling Wrath
-Leap of Faith
-Symbol of Wrath
-Binding Blade

…And everything there is an aoe. Not melee cleave. Your point?

really bad engineer

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

That’s also what I said. I never said we should get a 5 target auto attack, just maul, and perhaps swoop.

Swoop seemed more like a melee cleave to me, and if maul became a blast finisher I’d forgive them for the lack of 5 targets xD.

in Ranger

Writetyper.1985

Swoop seemed more like a melee cleave to me, and if maul became a blast finisher I’d forgive them for the lack of 5 targets xD.

Oh god that would be beautiful. It wouldn’t make sense in the slightest but kitten would that be so good. Ranger obviously lacks blast finishers, I’m not sure if this was an intentional design choice but if it wasn’t then this should happen

really bad engineer

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Oh god that would be beautiful. It wouldn’t make sense in the slightest but kitten would that be so good. Ranger obviously lacks blast finishers, I’m not sure if this was an intentional design choice but if it wasn’t then this should happen

We have the most combo fields in the game (variety wise) so it was likely a design choice xD.