Why everyone wants dmg?

Why everyone wants dmg?

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

With the new change in full Knights Armor with some berserker mixed in (I’m sitting on 50 crit chance and 42 crit damage), with full Marksmanship to pick up Remorseless, doing the simple rotation of stealthing into Rapid Fire always nets me between 7.5-9k Rapid Fire channels, and that’s without the Sigil of Fire proccing.

I mean, I’m sitting on 3k armor, at 1500 range, and I’m able to channel almost 10k damage in 4.5 seconds, every 12s. AND Precise Strike isn’t a guaranteed crit (bug), which would probably put the damage at a consistent bottom range of 8k.

There really aren’t that many other classes that can do that damage at range AND build for the evasion and escape tools that rangers have access to.

At 1500 range, maybe. At 900-1200 range though?

Dragon’s Tooth
Phoenix
Feast
Comet
Path of Scars

I’m sure I could name a half dozen more with little real effort. And almost all of those are AE. 8k over 4.5 seconds is not a lot of damage. Thief can do it with unload 3 times in a row :/

Why everyone wants dmg?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

My problem is although the Longbow change is a great step in the right direction, and the longbow seems to be in a good state right now, I can’t possibly figure out the point of Ranger as a whole.

We sit at range and DPS with a longbow 3k autoattack…. What’s the point? Engineer can do the same, but with way more support options.

What the ranger needs is more options to support the team in ways a Guardian cannot – A niche that only the Ranger can have.

My proposed niche for Rangers is having them become super-buffers with their spirits, at the risk of being destroyed easily in combat. Specifically, I think Stone Spirit should provide 7s of Protection rather than 3s. This might seem overpowered, but keep in mind Guardians can already establish PERMANENT Protection..

Another niche the Ranger needs is the old effects of Search and Rescue. This is something that made the Ranger an essential team player for High Level fractals, but awhile back they removed the functionality to resurrect Defeated players.

If Ranger is not a master of damage or control, they should at least be able to provide support. Perhaps a little “power creep” is necessary just to bring the Ranger up to other classes.

(edited by Kain Francois.4328)

Why everyone wants dmg?

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

My problem is although the Longbow change is a great step in the right direction, and the longbow seems to be in a good state right now, I can’t possibly figure out the point of Ranger as a whole.

We sit at range and DPS with a longbow 3k autoattack…. What’s the point? Engineer can do the same, but with way more support options.

What the ranger needs is more options to support the team in ways a Guardian cannot – A niche that only the Ranger can have.

My proposed niche for Rangers is having them become super-buffers with their spirits, at the risk of being destroyed easily in combat. Specifically, I think Stone Spirit should provide 7s of Protection rather than 3s. This might seem overpowered, but keep in mind Guardians can already establish PERMANENT Protection..

Another niche the Ranger needs is the old effects of Search and Rescue. This is something that made the Ranger an essential team player for High Level fractals, but awhile back they removed the functionality to resurrect Defeated players.

If Ranger is not a master of damage or control, they should at least be able to provide support. Perhaps a little “power creep” is necessary just to bring the Ranger up to other classes.

yeah, they litterally killed off the best shout we had. Even though that shout was insanely situational, and had a massive CD.
Sure, in PvP it could be OP, since when pet died, it would keep rezzing. But such an issue COULD be fixed if they had bothered to properly split sPvP and PvE/WvW

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Why everyone wants dmg?

in Ranger

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

As someone who just started the class altwise, I’d like to say the most immediate achilles heel of the class for me is the pet bar, or rather, that instead of fun F1-4 skills/modes that many other classes have you have 1 pet ability & pet control. It’s great that there is some pet control, but not at the expense of other things you could have there.

That and, yes, the archery skills feel somehow unexciting, while the melee and throwing ones are decent or good in feel – I love the mobility style. I just keep swapping the bows away, though.

Note, this is disregarding of damage/efficiency, just commenting on the fun.

Why everyone wants dmg?

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Willing to bet it was a pure PvP focused change too…

Easy to split, but read Sharp’s latest post, noooo they claim they don’t have time/manpower for simple things like that. …yet Colin’s blog says all new skills are coming in the future. I think I liked it better when they weren’t saying anything at all.

Why everyone wants dmg?

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Willing to bet it was a pure PvP focused change too…

When is a balance change in Guild Wars 2 Specifically Not because of PvP?

Why everyone wants dmg?

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

With the new change in full Knights Armor with some berserker mixed in (I’m sitting on 50 crit chance and 42 crit damage), with full Marksmanship to pick up Remorseless, doing the simple rotation of stealthing into Rapid Fire always nets me between 7.5-9k Rapid Fire channels, and that’s without the Sigil of Fire proccing.

I mean, I’m sitting on 3k armor, at 1500 range, and I’m able to channel almost 10k damage in 4.5 seconds, every 12s. AND Precise Strike isn’t a guaranteed crit (bug), which would probably put the damage at a consistent bottom range of 8k.

There really aren’t that many other classes that can do that damage at range AND build for the evasion and escape tools that rangers have access to.

At 1500 range, maybe. At 900-1200 range though?

Dragon’s Tooth
Phoenix
Feast
Comet
Path of Scars

I’m sure I could name a half dozen more with little real effort. And almost all of those are AE. 8k over 4.5 seconds is not a lot of damage. Thief can do it with unload 3 times in a row :/

Making a comparison between a 1200 range base weapon and 900 range base weapons is already giving bias to the 900 range weapons because of the risk/reward design philosophy about doing more damage in melee range. Theoretically, the farther away from your opponent you are, the least damage you should be doing. So of course 900 range weapons outdamage 1200 range weapons, that only makes sense.

As far as comparing it to other 1200 range weapons, MAYBE the warrior rifle can compete in overall DPS, and I wouldn’t know enough about the Ele staff, but it doesn’t seem to have the amount sustain mechanics to equal the DPS output, and specializes more at AoE damage, and bursting.

Overall though I would argue that ranger is fairly dominant at a 1200 range.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat