Why is there no such mechanic?

in Ranger

Posted by: KehxD.6847

KehxD.6847

So, the ranger has alot of Evasion skills. ( S#2, S#3, LR, D#4, SB#3 and so on)

Why is it, that evades only evade? I think there should be some major/gradmaster trait, that should say something like this.

On Evade, the caster of the evaded spell gains X (seconds of Poison? / Damage?) with an internal cooldown of 5-10 seconds or something like that?
or
On Evade, the Caster and his pet gains X seconds of (Might? Fury?).

Yes we do have the “On dodge, gain 3s Protection.” That is infight only, non conditional.
I would find it alot more interesting if it would just say 3s of Protection, on Evade with 2-3 seconds internal cooldown (to avoid the 10ticks evades).

That way you would also get it from skills on your weapons and it would give a nice mechanic to play with and isn’t ensured on any dodge. (This way you wouldn’t dodge just for protection and stuff like that). And then there wouldn’t be the annoying statemant “Combat only” which somehow doesn’t always work correctly, because pet in combat and player in combat are 2 different things.

What would you say about this? I somehow feel like this would be an unique thing that would really really fit with the ranger gameplay. Why isn’t there anything like this in the game?

Founder and former leader of TxS Community! For more information, please look here =)
http://www.reddit.com/r/txs

in Ranger

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

Leave that trait. It functions well as it is.
Change Striders defence as that trait does nothing ATM.

Striders Defence – when you evade retaliate with a swift strike.
Attacks takes damage of coeffeicent 0.3 to 0.6. Cooldowns of 3 to 5s.
Or
Striders Defence – when you successfully evade an attack gain retaliation for Xs.
Internal cooldowns of Ys.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

I remember there was a leaked patch list somewhere that stated Martial Mastery would give us one second of vigor every time we successfully evaded with a sword attack. I got so excited…

Anyway, this would be hard to balance well, since you get those situations where Serpent’s Strike evades about a million things at once. They don’t want one good dodge of a Phantasmal Duelist to be 8+ stacks of might.

I agree that this should be a thing though, it’d be very interesting.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

in Ranger

Sigmoid.7082

@Sevans
Slap on an internal cooldowns and there you have it.
Stick it on striders defence, give people to take this trait? Even better.

Having a trait have evades do something in the skirmishing line? Would be amazing. Doubt it will happen cause that would make sense and as a ranger…our trait placement is questionable….

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

1s internal cooldown is all that’s needed too.

Another idea would be to give protection every time we successfully evade an attack, also with a cooldown. It would reward us for timing our evades/dodges properly, and it would punish us by being a useless trait if we aren’t timing our evades properly.

in Ranger

Sigmoid.7082

A 1s internal cooldown would be too strong unless it was for gaining might. There are builds that we can run that are almost constantly evading with perma vigour, skills on sword and lightning reflexes. Also GS auto attack.

Whatever the boon would be would have to be short in duration because of exactly how much melee evasion we can attain. Also protection won’t be a thing with evades as we have in on dodge as is and also GS auto attack would be huge. 33% less damage for the first two strikes and 1s evade on the last. To much.

Vigour would be reasonable at a 1s cooldown for 1s. Or 2s with kitten cooldown.
Retaliation for 3s would be alight but with a 8s cooldown would be reasonable.
3stacks of might for 5s with a 15s cooldown again would be reasonable. Or 1stack for 10s with a low cooldown to minimc rune capability and Might of the Protector.

in Ranger

Sevans.4619

I’d like to see Strider’s Defense reworked to incorporate something like this. That trait is just silly right now.

in Ranger

Sigmoid.7082

I’d like to see Strider’s Defense reworked to incorporate something like this. That trait is just silly right now.

I have been saying this the entire thread…
That trait is 110% useless in its current state. Something like what we are suggesting fits well with the traitbas well as the trait line.

(edited by Sigmoid.7082)

in Ranger

Chrispy.5641

That trait is 110% useless in its current state.

So? We know that already.

in Ranger

Chrispy.5641

A 1s internal cooldown would be too strong unless it was for gaining might. There are builds that we can run that are almost constantly evading with perma vigour, skills on sword and lightning reflexes. Also GS auto attack.

Whatever the boon would be would have to be short in duration because of exactly how much melee evasion we can attain. Also protection won’t be a thing with evades as we have in on dodge as is and also GS auto attack would be huge. 33% less damage for the first two strikes and 1s evade on the last. To much.

Vigour would be reasonable at a 1s cooldown for 1s. Or 2s with kitten cooldown.
Retaliation for 3s would be alight but with a 8s cooldown would be reasonable.
3stacks of might for 5s with a 15s cooldown again would be reasonable. Or 1stack for 10s with a low cooldown to minimc rune capability and Might of the Protector.

Warrior has a grandmaster trait called Spiked Armor that grants 5 seconds of Retaliation with a 10 second cooldown whenever he is hit with a critical hit. There is no skill required in that trait.

What we’re suggesting takes actual skill and is not automatic, especially on weapon sets like bows and axes, and you’re saying that 3 seconds with an 8 second cooldown is fair when its already weaker than the equivelant Warrior trait.

no….Skill should be rewarded.

in Ranger

Sigmoid.7082

I’m just thinking how anet would because they don’t seem to have an open mind. If they changed the trait they would automatically assume that I’d its taken the person taking it would spec for as much evasion as possible to take full advantage of it.

We have acceptional melee evade uptime according to them so the boon duration and internal cooldown would reflect their vision in that.

Heck knowing how they think it would be changed to when you evade using a melee skill gain x,y or z since the thought process would be " they already have protection on dodge roll " and that well the pet may also gain the boon so let’s not have it triggering for too long. Or too often.

The idea is supurb but in execution of they implement it I can see it being lacking in some regard. Though..anything is better than it is now.

(edited by Sigmoid.7082)

in Ranger

Chrispy.5641

Well, you’re not wrong on Anet’s closed viewpoint. Just look at our ‘Primal Reflexes’ Trait and compare it to similar traits from other professions and try to think of reasons why our trait is so pathetically weak by comparison…

in Ranger

Sevans.4619

That trait is 110% useless in its current state. Something like what we are suggesting fits well with the traitbas well as the trait line.

Yeah, I can read. I’m only agreeing.

in Ranger

Sigmoid.7082

Yeah, I can read. I’m only agreeing.

That was my lack of comprehension thought you were in about changing companions defence. Do apologise.

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

We should be able to punish more on evades since ranger play is based on evade rotation mechanics, especially with that useless trait Strider’s defense. They would make it so that if you trait there you and your pet will gain something from evading successfully. Make it so that whatever this is is not based on a long as hell cool down either, which can make the trait even more worthless than it is right now.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z