Why regen ranger "most successful"?

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

Hello rangers, I was thinking about what is the thing that makes the regen or tanky rangers the most viable builds…

Then one simple came to thought, it’s the recovery they can do. Whenever I play with a tanky (which can include lots of healing power) build I have no problems healing up.

But when I use a build that has gear with one defensive stat (be it vit or toughness) the healing skills don’t feel like they are doing any justice. It’s a hard choice if I should heal or not, because my enemy will just peel that health away with a few hits.

Heal as One is a very weak skill, because the only function it has is healing…. a small amount which can be made less with poison. To give a little comparison, thief’s Hide in Shadows heals 5,760HP and can’t be affected by anything, because it removes poison (and the other conditions) before healing the thief.

In short, almost every other profession’s healing skills have a side effect. By that I mean condition like the engineer’s A.E.D.

Amongst the medium professions, thief and engineer both have something special added to each of their healing skills. Ranger only has healing spring which cures conditions. Heal as One, Troll Unguent and Water Spirit offer nothing more than pure healing.

The only difference is knowing when to use those three skills;
Heal as One should be used so that it brings you back to full health without wasting precious health. I.e. you would want to heal exactly 5k and not more if 5k is missing

Troll Unguent is based on prediction. Is the enemy able to keep a steady DPS so that you can use Troll Unguent with very little missing health? (and gain precious seconds on it’s cooldown?)

Water Spirit , I haven’t played much with this spirit but I would guess it’s a choice between summoning it as preparation or while in combat.

In my opinion, each of these three skills should have a side-effect that is special to the ranger and pet.

(edited by solrik.6028)

in Ranger

Posted by: BlackRose.1247

BlackRose.1247

well after all it does heal your stupid unreliable and insta-dead pet as well^^

Kodash RANGER, War, Thief, Mesmer, Guard
proud member of NV

in Ranger

Posted by: Pelopidas.2140

Pelopidas.2140

Healing spring removes conditions, up to 5, 1 every 2 seconds. It’s also the longest water field available iirc (and blast finishers/leap give extra healing, for example gs #3 or wh#5). Troll Unguent is a very good heal if you want sustained healing, and heal as one, maybe not too special, but heals for a good amount on a short cd (10 second less than thief;s Hide in Shadows. The stealth on heal is a complete another topic). Healing spirit actually heals on cast, heals on hit every 10 sec and heals on active, so good burst heal and good sustained heal. No active condi removal, but you have other means to deal with conditions other than heals (empathic bond, bear, signet). Ranger has very good heals compared to other classes. And pet synergizes with healing spring, for example drake makes a combo finisher and canine do a leap for extra healing.

I agree that healing power could scale better. Get some facts straight before whining.

@BlackRose learn to play with your pet or roll a warrior

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

To be fair, the heal on Troll Unguent is extremely high with 0 healing power. Considering its cooldown and duration, it feels like you only have to wait 15 seconds between activation time. It’s pretty great.

As far as healing skills are concerned, I think I’d like to see the Oakheart Salve trait reworked into something that removes bleed, poison, and burn when you use any heal skill.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

Healing spirit actually heals on cast, heals on hit every 10 sec and heals on active, so good burst heal and good sustained heal. No active condi removal, but you have other means to deal with conditions other than heals (empathic bond, bear, signet). Ranger has very good heals compared to other classes.

I agree that healing power could scale better. Get some facts straight before whining.

Every part I removed was just word-pooping facts that were obvious and unnecessary to be typed.

Bear removes 2 conditions every 25 which isn’t really going to help at all. Sure, it’s good for removing immobilise and other soft-controls but removing damaging conditions is a waste because they will most likely be re-applied again.

Signet, for one, forces me to swap the pet to prevent it from dieing and secondly, it has a very short range.

Empathic Bond is in short a must and it requires 30 points in a traitline one may not want to go into.

Anyhow, I don’t know what your problem is. There is no whine in my post. It was meant to start a discussion so please, keep that in mind. There is no need to be hostile.

Also, before you tell me to get my facts straight you should do the same first. Water Spirit heals less than troll unguent in it’s lifetime (60 second) with instant procs and active used. Conclusion? Troll unguent is more effective. Collective (party) healing from water spirit is higher, but it would probably be dead very quickly if fighting against people with a little knowledge.

Healing Spring offers a maximum healing of 8640 (without traits and HealingP) but that is only if you receive every pulse of regeneration.

in Ranger

Posted by: BlackRose.1247

BlackRose.1247

@pelopodas sorry that i didnt specify my sentence but i was talking about wvw

Kodash RANGER, War, Thief, Mesmer, Guard
proud member of NV

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

I think its largely agreed that HaO needs some buffing, and adding extra effcts to it would be the way to go.

Our other healing skills though I think are all fine, good even. WS is obviously a group heal, thats its extra effect. It benifits your teammates not just you. HS has its field and AoE regen/cleanse so its fine. TU then doesnt have an extra features.. but it is one of the very very best heals in the game. It heals a massive amount on a decent CD. I really wouldnt want to see it changed.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Why?
-Biggest room for mistakes
-You’re mostly fighting semi-melee and don’t die
-Conditions tick, tick, ticking
-Pet can hit something when starts collide, because you fight in close quaters and have some slowing effects
-Because nothing else is viable

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

Why?
-Biggest room for mistakes
-You’re mostly fighting semi-melee and don’t die
-Conditions tick, tick, ticking
-Pet can hit something when starts collide, because you fight in close quaters and have some slowing effects
-Because nothing else is viable

Ranger build sure is strong when a capable player runs it, however it is not the only viable build, there are others yet only a handful out there (with or without variations of the build).

I honestly wish that the regen build would be more versatile since it forces you to play in small scale (roaming solo and in groups), if there was only a way to make it more portable to large scale WvW play it would be so sweet. Not to mention it’s a great build for dungeons, but not the only one.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarlack.4096

Sarlack.4096

My experience in this game and many others is that layered defenses with redundancy goes far further than stacking any one or two things.

Protection/Vigor/Dodging/Regen/Condition management/defensive abilities on weapons/Passive heals/Hits/Toughness are strong as a layered group

Better to have many of the above defensive abilities at moderate effectiveness than to have a few at high effectiveness at the expense of the others.

Personally I take a defensive build and work outward trying to squeeze out as much offense from a fundamentally defensive build. It has served me well..

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

I always prefered having high health and armor with a low healing power regen over the high healing ones with lower health, I think the base regen of 130h/s is very strong as it is if using wild aswell you are already sitting on 200h/s.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarlack.4096

Sarlack.4096

Yup Manekk,

I will use SPVP as an example but I find better survival with Soldier Amulet and 400-600 healing than Cleric Amulet pushing 700-1000 healing with 4-5K less hits.

For the record, I have messed with HaO using Dwayna runes and extending the duration via the Dwayna Runes duration/traited 33% longer/NM Line and you can almost keep dwayna regen perma up using HaO on the 20 sec RuT

(edited by Sarlack.4096)

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Trolls Unguent with high toughness, and no complaints. Its a very powerful heal with its own advantage = you can use it to “pre-heal”. Get it going when you first take damage and you dont have to worry about heals while you are trying to fight. Hint – it still is working while you are dodging and evading.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

(edited by Kilger.5490)

in Ranger

Posted by: Arrys.7145

Arrys.7145

Top 10 reasons players feel regen/tanky builds are superior….

10. Game design – limited active skills in game mean much of defense is passive while offensive firepower is similarly limited in big burst button pushes.

9. Pet Damage was factored into our damage capacity but defensively we seem balanced much like other players – no pet penalty and properly used they act as ranged defense, fears immobilizes KD etc.

8. Our defensive lines concentrate defensive ability so you can get most of the defensive bells and whistles in a single build regen tough prot regen and max vigor recharge for active dodging…..

7. Dual Weapon sigils

6. Ability to stack alot of passive regen and TU which is a front end heal is eating it’s CD while healing the damage as you take it.

5. # evades on weapons

4. Max defense builds synergize with condition application

3. Condition Meta of the game and our best condition remover being 30 points in and considered indispensable by many.

2. Plenty of Poison + cover conditions to mess up the other bunker we are fighting because the meta of game supports bunkers.

1. Because players who die after a 30-45 second fight feel like it was a fair fight and they aren’t pointless.

Arrys Shaikin
OoS
A whittling ranger becomes viable by forcing his opponent to whittle

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

Yup Manekk,

I will use SPVP as an example but I find better survival with Soldier Amulet and 400-600 healing than Cleric Amulet pushing 700-1000 healing with 4-5K less hits.

For the record, I have messed with HaO using Dwayna runes and extending the duration via the Dwayna Runes duration/traited 33% longer/NM Line and you can almost keep dwayna regen perma up using HaO on the 20 sec RuT

You can do that with troll aswell due to the very long proc regen on hit from the runes, or do you mean out of combat purely with the 6th bonus? how long is that one again?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

I can regen at 330 hps on my thief in stealth. What is the comparable regen rate for regen rangers. Warriors are much higher – 400 hps I think.

OP’d thief, lol

in Ranger

Posted by: Nor.2057

Nor.2057

So for WvW Ranger Roamer should i go a good mix between apothecary and dire ? or dire rabid is also good?

wanting to use axe/dagger – sword/torch

||Acolytes|| Sanctum of Rall||Destiny’s End||

in Ranger

Posted by: Faux Sheaux.6179

Faux Sheaux.6179

I can regen at 330 hps on my thief in stealth. What is the comparable regen rate for regen rangers. Warriors are much higher – 400 hps I think.

Over 100k healing/minute if they really try. Closer to 50-60k under regular conditions.

Ehmry Bay – Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Menorah | Charr Cat | Some Cat Thing
Still running my old RRR build because why not

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Regen ranger allows you to make mistake after mistake after mistake. The better WvW roaming option is the berserker ranger; with TU + cons it allows a hearty amount of sustain plus it allows you to kill before you make a mistake. It’s unforgiving but it’s the undoubtedly the better ROAMING option in the end unless you’re going in for duels. Get in, get out, get the objective clear and move on to the next. If you can’t it’s WAY more efficient to die and respawn, not spend 17 minutes dueling someone.

Speed is the key to WvW.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

Over 100k healing/minute if they really try. Closer to 50-60k under regular conditions.

Thanks. Are the green heal value on screen per second figure or per half second?

OP’d thief, lol

in Ranger

Faux Sheaux.6179

All heals are green so I’m not sure what you’re asking :P See here though https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Rangers-Can-Heal-100k-hp-min-from-Regens/first#post2091502

in Ranger

Posted by: Pelopidas.2140

Pelopidas.2140

i think heal shows when it’s up, for example warrior’s trait for regen based on adrenaline heals every 3 seconds and every 3 seconds you see a green number, while regen heals once per second and you see its green number every 1 sec (if i understood correctly)

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Thanks. Are the green heal value on screen per second figure or per half second?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBjYD7koiugrqQxCWLDIsCHy7xsELtn7RpcKh4FbUiE-jUDB4hAoNRmaAgABmKAK7JZZRDityqIasqZDRWZDTpC16jIa2lAVKgvVGB-w
This is my clerics tank. With full “Life” stacks, i generally get 340~ish HPs from perma regen (w/2% medic bonus from WvW score). +160hps from signet and 125/3sec from trait. Grand total of 443hps… or something close to that. Max healing power (full ascended, stacks, food + other stuff) and regen duration will get you 351 HPS from regen and 175 HPS from signet, but that is absolute MAX. So ranger max HPS (perma regen + signet + trait) is 567.6 HPS.
IF you look at HP over 60 seconds, you get 567.6 from signet, shout regen and trait + 320 from spirit (yes atm its 480 but that is getting fixed) + 430(x2 = 860) from Troll Unguent (Healing spring direct heal + regen is better but healing spring regen is weaker then shout regen, thus overall HPS goes down A LOT).

for a grand total of. 860+ 567.6+320 * 60 = 104856 HPM…. No ally buffing you….

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: WilliCalifornia.1837

WilliCalifornia.1837

What is this regen ranger build? i want to know. I have 54 ranger atm

in Ranger

Posted by: Diehard.1432

Diehard.1432

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBjYD7koiugrqQxCWLDIsCHy7xsELtn7RpcKh4FbUiE-jUDB4hAoNRmaAgABmKAK7JZZRDityqIasqZDRWZDTpC16jIa2lAVKgvVGB-w
This is my clerics tank. With full “Life” stacks, i generally get 340~ish HPs from perma regen (w/2% medic bonus from WvW score). +160hps from signet and 125/3sec from trait. Grand total of 443hps… or something close to that. Max healing power (full ascended, stacks, food + other stuff) and regen duration will get you 351 HPS from regen and 175 HPS from signet, but that is absolute MAX. So ranger max HPS (perma regen + signet + trait) is 567.6 HPS.
IF you look at HP over 60 seconds, you get 567.6 from signet, shout regen and trait + 320 from spirit (yes atm its 480 but that is getting fixed) + 430(x2 = 860) from Troll Unguent (Healing spring direct heal + regen is better but healing spring regen is weaker then shout regen, thus overall HPS goes down A LOT).

Nice regeneration, but I can’t see you killing anyone with that build.

Garuda X, lvl 80 human Siamoth Ranger JQ SEA
[VaL]

in Ranger

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

That’s why the best way to do it is to have some condi, atleast in spvp.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNAsYVnAVkYZXQGWwaZApVQTePml0TEdPGlOJEL4RC-TsAg2CrIMSZkzIjRybs3MOYJy0DA

That is what I use in spvp. It will tear up any power build if played properly and if you change to soldier runes + elite spirit condi cleanse isn’t an issue. I haven’t tested it nor used it because it seemed too weak, but the grandmaster trait: Natural healing says it’s only for your pet (somebody confirm/deny) but the 3s quickness+3 might stacks on pet swap is better IMO. You get 3 stacks of might for 19s on a 15s CD as well as 3s of quickness on a 15s cooldown, which gives you much more offence. I like to use RaO, swap pets, AA with quickness, watch as pet hits like a truck whilst having 18 stacks of might.

That’s from an spvp standpoint however, in wvw though I would still go with some condi damage so you the player actually do some DPS rather than relying solely on your pet.

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

in Ranger

Faux Sheaux.6179

People still die, good ones just won’t.

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

People still die, good ones just won’t.

This. And if you happen to encounter another tank who can heal well, it usually ends in a stalemate. Case in point, my apothecary thief. Did a 1v1 using him with a regen ranger, and the fight lasted 10+ minutes before we both stopped, because neither side could do enough to push the other past the point of healing. Was still a fun match though.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

I once pitted my Cleric tank against a Cleric guard. Unfortunately for both of us, we are both stubborn fools, and neither would let himself lose nor let the other run away. So the fight lasted a good 30 minutes + before a enemy havoc team wiped us both.

If you run Apothecary instead of Clerics you can do very strong damage in duels, however Clerics are better if running in large groups/zergs.

As always, Regen Rangers are very weak to burst focusing. 1x Thief + 1x any other profession will generally be able to take you down unless they are poorly built/lack proper skills.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Battosai.5620

Battosai.5620

actually healing spring is arguably the strongest heal in the game in a team environment – and it removes 6 condis, not 5 as it clears one condition on the initial cast.
10 second waterfield that clears conditions and buffs regeneration, too bad they took the vigor on every pulse away, but it was clearly not intended.
also the current meta builds feature a lot of blast finishers, so with a coordinated team the healing and sustain you can get out of one healing spring is tremendous.
(as in warrior,guard,thief – all having rather easy access to blast finishers)

then again for roaming in wvw troll unguent is the best heal in 99% of the situations.